Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stuffing Serial Bluetooth Module Inside C1k Casing
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Hardware Mods
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
albertr
I didn't do any RF tests, and I don't have any equipment for RF testing.
All I can express is my very subjective opinion.
-albertr
albertr
http://www.iral.com/~albertr/linux/zaurus/wireless/

was updated with info on BTUART tracing and some GPIO pins. I still don't have time to make more pictures to show how it looks inside the case, but will try to add it sometime later.
-albertr
Da_Blitz
very nice, now i know where to hack in my acellerometer
albertr
There were some questions asked via email. In case anyone else is interested, I'm posting answers to some of them here as well:

- BTUART speed: Billionton CSR BC2-ext module is working @ 921600 baud with BTUART on my C1K with BCSP protocol. It seems to work fine at that speed, I didn't notice any problems so far.

2. I was using 22 Ohm resistor array. I ordered samples from http://www.koaspeer.com/. They have a sample order page on thier website. I don't remember the exact part number, but I think it was either CN1J4KTBK220J or CN1E4KTBK220J (whichever has the smallest size). You might want to check with koaspeer if they have a local distributor and ask them for samples. I still have a few of them left, if anyone in the US needs it, please PM me with your shipping address, but please try to contact koaspeer or other manufacturer first.

-albertr
albertr
I checked the part numbers - the P/N from koaspeer.com is CN1E4KTBK220J .
-albertr
albertr
I think I might need some help from someone experienced in electric engineering. I'm trying to control the power to internal wi-fi and bt modules with GPIO pins via a NPN transistor. The transistor I was able to find in local Radioshack is MPS2222A (its datasheet is available here: http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/motorola/MPS2222A.pdf ). I think it looks as a close replica of 2N2222A, except that collector's continuous current is specified as 0.6A instead of 0.8A (for 2N2222A). I have a 1K resistor between GPIO output (active high) and transistor's base. That's pretty much all the schemantics. Now the problem I have: switching ON and OFF via GPIO works fine. And while BT module seems to be working as expected, the Wi-fi module is actually not behaving well. Some of the hardware ops fail, and it might look like it's not getting the sufficient current from the transistor. If I connect it directly without the transistor, it works fine.

Now here's the big question: Is the transistor I have is not good for powering up the wi-fi module? Maybe my simple schemantics are not good? Unfortunately, I don't have an o'scoope to check the actual signals.

Can anyone recommend any particular circuit schemantics or components? I'm thinking of something as simple as possible via PNP or NPN transistor, or maybe MOS FET.

I can get NTB60N06L MOSFET that has 3V TTL logic level input (the datasheet is here: http://www.onsemi.com.cn/pub/Collateral/NTP60N06L-D.PDF ). Can it be used for this purpose? Is current leakage less with MOSFET than with silicon transistor? The other problem I see is that it's rather large, so it could be a challange to fit two of them inside the Z. Is there any smaller size MOSFET with logic level input that can be used and available for online ordering in the USA?

Any ideas, suggestions?
-albertr
Boris
QUOTE(albertr @ Mar 30 2006, 07:24 AM)
I have a 1K resistor between GPIO output (active high) and transistor's base. That's pretty much all the schemantics.

Now the problem I have: switching ON and OFF via GPIO works fine. And while BT module seems to be working as expected, the Wi-fi module is actually not behaving well. Some of the hardware ops fail, and it might look like it's not getting the sufficient current from the transistor. If I connect it directly without the transistor, it works fine.

Unfortnunatelly, you haven't specified how other pins of the transistor are connected, so we have two variants (see attached image). Variant "B" will not work properly because it can't deliver 5V at all (only something about 2.6V) and I'll assume that it
is variant "A".

You're correct that this circuit can not supply 0.5A current without significant voltage drop. Look at datasheet for values of collecter-emitter saturation voltages at given base and collector currents. With 1k resitor in base it can be about 1.5V. Given that this transistor sits in the ground wire this can't work well indeed.

Can anyone recommend any particular circuit schemantics or components? I'm thinking of something as simple as possible via PNP or NPN transistor, or maybe MOS FET.

Since the requirement to have very low voltage drop at relatively high current with space restrictions, I would recommend schematic under letter "C". With FDN358P mosfet (fairchild) it will eat only of 0.1V at 0.5A.
albertr
Boris,

Thank you for helping me out! Yes, I'm using the "A" schemantics from your drawing. After you explained it, now I can see why I'm having the problem under load.

So, if the MOSFET is the right way to go, may I ask you a couple of questions?

1. Why do we need s NPN transistor AND a P-ch MOSFET? Can we simplify the schemantics by using a sole N-ch MOSFET? Can then we just connect active-high signal from GPIO pin directly to GATE pin of MOSFET (assuming that it's the logic level input, we don't need a resistor?). SOURCE pin of the MOSFET then would be +5VDC source, and load would be connected to DRAIN pin? Can this schemantics work, or I'm missing something? (sorry, as you can see I lack the basic knowledge of electrical engineering).

2. Speaking of MOSFETs, I'd probably like to use a dual channel one to control both modules and save some space. If I have a chance to select from different MOSFETs (i.e. can order any MOSFET made by FairChild Semi), what are the most important characterictics to look for? Obviously, I'd like to minimize current leakage in OFF state and voltage drop under load in ON state. Does it mean that the lower value of "Drain-to-Source ON resistance" is the better?

-albertr
albertr
What do you think about using FDS6910? It's a dual N-channel MOSFET in SO-8 package. It has "Drain-to-Source ON resistance" of only 0.017 Ohm which if I understand it correctly would give it 2.5VA * 0.017 Ohm = 0.0425V voltage drop @ 500mA load?
-albertr
Boris
QUOTE(albertr @ Mar 30 2006, 10:18 PM)
Thank you for helping me out!
np smile.gif
1. Why do we need s NPN transistor AND a P-ch MOSFET? Can we simplify the schemantics by using a sole N-ch MOSFET? Can then we just connect active-high signal from GPIO pin directly to GATE pin of MOSFET (assuming that it's the logic level input, we don't need a resistor?). SOURCE pin of the MOSFET then would be +5VDC source, and load would be connected to DRAIN pin? Can this schemantics work, or I'm missing something? (sorry, as you can see I lack the basic knowledge of electrical engineering).

No, this will not work. The MOSFET controlled by voltage difference between source and gate, when Gate is above (more positive than) Source by threshold voltage, the transistor starts to turn on. N-Channel MOSFET will work fine in the schematic "A" (replace pins like this base-gate, emitter-source, collector-drain), but this will disconnect ground wire from the device. Not sure if this is acceptable.

P-Channel MOSFET controlled similary, just reverse all voltage polarities.
2. Speaking of MOSFETs, I'd probably like to use a dual channel one to control both modules and save some space. If I have a chance to select from different MOSFETs (i.e. can order any MOSFET made by FairChild Semi), what are the most important characterictics to look for? Obviously, I'd like to minimize current leakage in OFF state and voltage drop under load in ON state. Does it mean that the lower value of "Drain-to-Source ON resistance" is the better?

At first, you should look at drain current and select a device wich allows at least Imax *1.2. Most modern MOSFETs have negligible "Drain-to-Source ON resistance" but it wouldn't hurt to verify volatge drop: Vdrop = Imax * Rdson (0.1V = 0.5A * 0.2Ohm).
Please note, that Rdson depends on gate voltage when it near gate threshold voltage and this depedency always represented graphically in datasheets. As for leakage in the off state - this will be very small value if transistor is closed.
What do you think about using FDS6910? It's a dual N-channel MOSFET in SO-8 package. It has "Drain-to-Source ON resistance" of only 0.017 Ohm which if I understand it correctly would give it 2.5VA * 0.017 Ohm = 0.0425V voltage drop @ 500mA load?

A bit different: Vdrop = 0.5A * 0.017Ohm = 8.5e-3V (by Ohm's law).
albertr
Boris, thanks!

QUOTE(Boris @ Mar 30 2006, 12:10 PM)

No, this will not work. The MOSFET controlled by voltage difference between source and gate, when Gate is above (more positive than) Source by threshold voltage, the transistor starts to turn on. N-Channel MOSFET will work fine in the schematic "A" (replace pins like this base-gate, emitter-source, collector-drain), but this will disconnect ground wire from the device. Not sure if this is acceptable.

Ahh, I misplaced the SOURCE and DRAIN. I was thinking of the opposite. Thanks for confirming it!

A bit different: Vdrop = 0.5A * 0.017Ohm = 8.5e-3V (by Ohm's law).

Ohh, I'm a complete idiot in the electric engineering, and just proved it again, sorry...
-albertr
albertr
Ok, so I'll try to use the N-channel MOSFET with logic level input, since it looks like it would allow for a much simpler schemantics (connect GPIO pin to GATE, SOURCE to GROUND and put LOAD between 5VDC and DRAIN). I just recovered some dead PCB that has a bunch of Toshiba TPC8002 and Int.Rectifier IRF7811A MOSFETs soldered on. They all seem to have a logic level GATE inputs and packaged in SO-8:

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/components/Datasheet/ee08225.pdf
http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irf7811a.pdf

-albertr
albertr
On the same dead PCB I found the FairChild Semi's FDS6990A, which is a dual N-channel MOSFET with logic level GATE input. I decided to use it over other MOSFETs I had. It's in the same SO-8 packing, which is nice IMHO, since it's small, but not too small for comfortable soldering.

So, to make the story short, it works as expected. The only interesting side effect of using N-channel MOSFET that I see, is if 5VDC connected first via OTG regulator control, the usb hosts sees some signals on the data lines, so it tries to communicate with the device, but since the device's ground is disconnected, it fails and disables the port. So work around is to turn MOSFET first, and then turn OTG regulator.

Boris, thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated!
-albertr
Boris
QUOTE(albertr @ Mar 31 2006, 05:10 AM)
On the same dead PCB I found the FairChild Semi's FDS6990A, which is a dual N-channel MOSFET with logic level GATE input.

Please note, that this transistor have very large input capacitance of 1235pF and series resistor (about 1k) between GPIO and gate are mandatory. If it missing, the GPIO pin may latch and blow the entire processor.

Also, you may wish to check if no current drawn for 5V bus via data lines when device is not powered.
albertr
Ahh, ok. Thanks again for valuable information.

If you have a choice to use any of the following MOSFETs:

- Toshiba TPC8203, TPC8005, TPC8002,
- International Rectifier IRF7811A, IRF7805
- FairChild Semi FDS6990A

Which one would you recommend? Or they are about the same and all of them require a 1K resistor?
Thanks,
-albertr
Boris
QUOTE(albertr @ Mar 31 2006, 08:51 AM)
- Toshiba TPC8203, TPC8005, TPC8002,
- International Rectifier IRF7811A, IRF7805
- FairChild Semi FDS6990A

Capabilities of IRF* are exsessive for this task, TPC* are suitable and FDS6990A are the best from this list. But all of them are relatively high power MOSFETs and have large values of input and reverse transfer capacitances. If I had a choice, I'd better be used something like NDS351AN from fairchild.

It is always good idea to place resitor in series with gate.
albertr
Thanks! I guess I'll keep FDS6990A then. I already added a 1K resistor between GPIO and gate. I dont' have any other MOSFETs around, and ordering from manufacturer would take time.

IFDS6990A seems to work fine, but I'll try to measure the current leakage when gate is closed, I'm alitlle bit puzzled as of why wi-fi module signals on USB data lines when ground is supposed to be disconnected...

-albertr
Boris
QUOTE(albertr @ Mar 31 2006, 10:03 AM)
IFDS6990A seems to work fine, but I'll try to measure the current leakage when gate is closed, I'm alitlle bit puzzled as of why wi-fi module signals on USB data lines when ground is supposed to be disconnected...

Because there are pullup resistors on either D+ or D- line as per USB standard. Thats why one usually disconnect +5V bus wink.gif.
albertr
Boris, you're right - there're 15K resistors between USB data lines and the ground. So are you saying that some small amount of current is leaking thru data lines to the ground?

On a side note, I'll try to implement schemantics "C" from your drawing for wi-fi module, BT module seems to be fine with schemantics "A".
-albertr
albertr
I just recovered a FairChild's FDC658P P-channel MOSFET from the dead PCB (this PCB is a treasure chest - so many MOSFETs soldered on) that I will try to use in your schemantics "C".
-albertr
albertr
I'm happy to report that Boris'es schemantics "C" works great with power-hungry wi-fi module! I have one question, thou - I'd like to use schemantics "A" for bluetooth module, since it has less number of components and thus takes less space. But since 5V is connected all the time, can some amount of current leak thru the transistor? If so, could it be possible to estimate how much? From what I understand, leakage thru UART TX/RX lines is insignificant if any.
P.S. I also soldered a small orange LED to wi-fi module, it looks so cool blinking in the dark!
-albertr
Boris
QUOTE(albertr @ Apr 2 2006, 03:57 AM)
I have one question, thou - I'd like to use schemantics "A" for bluetooth module, since it has less number of components and thus takes less space. But since 5V is connected all the time, can some amount of current leak thru the transistor?

When thansistor is closed the leakage currect are very insignificant. However, I'm still worry about leakage through data lines - could you please to try to break +5V line, connect a multimeter in it and meausre how much current flows when transistor is off (or just disconnect the ground) ?

If you would like to keep schematic "A", I also would recommend to check how GPIO line behaves on boot - is it tied to +3.3V via resistor (or may be to ground) ? If not, it is recommended to insert a 10k resistor between GPIO and GND to prevent chaotic power supply to the buletooth module during reboot. Schematic "C" need it less, because bipolar transistor connected with common emitter have very low input resistance.
albertr
Boris, thanks! I'll try to measure current, and then let you know.

On a side note, it looks like schemantics "A" has problems even with the power-friendly BT module. Sometimes, it doesn't work if I connect +5V first and only then the ground. So it looks like schemantics "C" is the way to go.
-albertr
albertr
As Boris suggested, I hooked up a multimeter, and got some measurements. They sure look very interesting:

CODE
1.BT ground disconnected, +5V connected:                  59mA
2.+5V & ground connected initial BSCP negotiation:    42mA
3.BCSP link established:                                               <1mA
4.HCI inquiry:                                                                  55mA
5.BCSP terminated, negotiation:                                   <1mA

Here's my interpretations (please correct me if I'm wrong):
Obviously, #1 shows that schemantics "A" is no good.
Not sure why #2 and #5 are not the same - need to check how BlueZ terminates the link, but it's interesting finding.
-albertr
albertr
Here's some measurements for ZD1211-based wi-fi module:

CODE
1. idle, no driver is loaded:                                                                       93mA
2. assosiated and authenticated with 802.11b AP, idle:                          196mA
3. RX:                                                                                                      215mA
4. TX:                                                                                                      270mA

Some comments:
- even simple housekeeping activity like receiving beacon adds ~100mA
- i guess that multimeter's sampling rate is rather slow, so there might be some current spikes it didn't catch, but still I don't see anything close to 500mA.
- power-saving modes were not tested, I'll try to take another look at it later

-albertr
Boris
QUOTE(albertr @ Apr 4 2006, 06:56 AM)
CODE
1.BT ground disconnected, +5V connected:                  59mA

Hmm, this is more than expected but proves my guesses.

BTW, I've completely forgot that we're talking about powering up USB module which should work even from 4.4V volts. This allows one to use cheap PNP like 2N2907 or BC807 in place of MOSFET (looking at schematic "C": connect emmiter instead of source , collector instead of drain, add an 1k resistor between collector of VT4 and base of VT3).
albertr
Well, I already found MOSFETs (no costs besides time spent on unsoldering), so for me the price is not a concern. But since we have space constraints, the number/size of the components is important.

Anyway, I'm going with schemantics "C" for both Wi-Fi and BT modules.
Thanks Boris for your help!
-albertr
daniel3000
Hello Albertr,

finally I could make an USB BT dongle work which I bought (BTW: They are quite cheap here. 16.99 EURO or so I have paid for it and the internals look ike they could fit inside the Microdrive Zauri..)

I have read your zaurus wireless page and from hat I understand, it should be easy to connect just on eUSB device internally without great modifications (the first few pictures on your page).
Is this correct?

Now, if I connect the dongle that way, is the external USB port (host and client) usable as before?

Does the internal addition need some kind of driver patch, or does it work right away?

I'm looking for a quick and easy solution, even if I cannot stuff two modules inside but just one.

Thanks a lot!
daniel
albertr
Daniel,

Sharp's OHCI glue driver for PXA270 doesn't enable port#1. So, you'll need to either use the replacement I wrote, or write your own. I'd suggest you to get your build environment working first. For compiling the kernel you'll probably need old gcc 2.X and related tool chain. Once you can compile the kernel and modules and verify that it boots and works on your Z, then take a look at the Sharp's driver - it should be pretty easy to figure out what needs to be done to enable the port#1.

As far as schemantics go, you're correct that all you need to get it working is two usb data lines, since power control lines are not traced on the PCB. But I would suggest to use a software controlled power switch, i.e. one drawn by Boris in his schemantics "C". Otherwise the USB dongle will drain your battery even when not in use.
-albertr
albertr
http://www.iral.com/~albertr/linux/zaurus/wireless/

was updated with more pictures.

I guess that's pretty much it, and would conclude the ever first clamshell Z with internal wi-fi and bluetooth.

I'll probably keep updating the drivers from time to time, but as far as pictures/tracing/schemantics go, I consider it done.
-albertr
speculatrix
AlbertR, you win the Zaurus hardware modder of the year award!

Now you'd built your first, here's the big question. How much would you sell me a brand new freshly modified C1000 which offered wifi & bluetooth built-in, with (say) a 3 month warranty?

Think carefully, 'cos you may end up with a new temporary career!
albertr
Money-wise, I think that would only make sense if there's a small batch (maybe 10 or so) done at the same time. Otherwise, I'm afraid it could be way too expensive...
-albertr
Antikx
Great work Albertr! Is there any option of people sending you their SL-C1000's and having you do the work on them? I'm pretty shakey with a soldering iron. sad.gif If so, any ballpark figure for Parts + Labour + Shipping?
guylhem
Hello

Since there seems to be a demand, I will see if I can arrange that with a local soldering small business who does a very clean job.

What people who have to do is :
- provide their Zaurus + the parts that must be fitted it, like the BT and WIFI usb dongles (it is your duty to check for compatibility !)
- pay for the time spent and s&h costs

Additional components could be purrchased locally by the shop, but usb dongles compatibility may vary on a per batch basis, so I wouldn't want to hassle them before the venture is operationnal and running .

Guylhem
Antikx
Thanks guylhem!
Great idea.
Mjolinor
Looking at this BT thing and figured that it's easier to put it on the processor side of the board. That being the case then the attached is needed to ge the TX RX CTS RTS lines right.

Picture shamelessly stolen from Albetr's excellent page.
albertr
Good idea! Especially for ppl with soldering skills , since these point are really small. The reason I went with resistor array was it's easier to solder than four separate leads.
-albertr
Mjolinor
OK, Now I'm stuck.

Fitted the BT module but have no idea what other signals I need or what to do about the SW. I have only connected the 4 RS232 lines and + - supplies. I commoned all the supplies at this stage rather than putting any kind of control on them to turn it on or off, that will come later when I have it working (confident aren't I). I took the supply from the point that feeds the existing tracks for BT under the CF. It is available just above where the resistor pack goes.

I used an Ericsson BT module which the guy who owns this site http://www.stelioscellar.com/eShop/other.html informs me is fully supported in Linux. He sent me a CD image with rakes of docs and source code on so now I need help. What is my next step.

Soldering to the 4 pads was an absolute pig. It's time I realised I'm too old for this. smile.gif
albertr
So you do have +3V, ground, TX, RX, CTS & RTS already connected to the module, right? If you don't have a software-controlled power switch, I would recommend to at least temporary use some small hardware switch on +3V line, it could be handly for testing. Or If you have RESET line on Ericsson module, you can connect it to some unused GPIO to be able to reset thru software.
Resetting the hardware sometimes could be very helpful when testing.

As far as software goes, just get the serial driver from my page, copy it over to Sharp's kernel tree and rebuild the kernel. Before rebuilding, make sure that it has the following options in its config:

CONFIG_SERIAL=y
# CONFIG_SERIAL_SL_SERIES is not set

You might also biuld it as a kermel module if you don't use the serial console.
-albertr
Mjolinor
There is a reset line on the BT module and there is also a reset line on the original connecitons for the internal module but I don't knwo if all the components are on the MB or not.

So I need some kernel source files or are these already on somewhere, this thing has cacko on at the moment. Where can I find the kernel source? I can feel a bricked Zaurus coming on here.

I think it better to build it as a module but I have no idea how.
DaemonsGR
QUOTE(Mjolinor @ Apr 15 2006, 04:30 PM)
OK, Now I'm stuck.

Fitted the BT module but have no idea what other signals I need or what to do about the SW. I have only connected the 4 RS232 lines and + - supplies. I commoned all the supplies at this stage rather than putting any kind of control on them to turn it on or off, that will come later when I have it working (confident aren't I). I took the supply from the point that feeds the existing tracks for BT under the CF. It is available just above where the resistor pack goes.

I used an Ericsson BT module which the guy who owns this site http://www.stelioscellar.com/eShop/other.html informs me is fully supported in Linux. He sent me a CD image with rakes of docs and source code on so now I need help. What is my next step.

Soldering to the 4 pads was an absolute pig. It's time I realised I'm too old for this. smile.gif

HEy if you need something from Stelios just tell me! He is a friend ... smile.gif
He is also master in electronics smile.gif
albertr
QUOTE(Mjolinor @ Apr 15 2006, 12:27 PM)
So I need some kernel source files or are these already on somewhere, this thing has cacko on at the moment. Where can I find the kernel source? I can feel a bricked Zaurus coming on here.

If your intend is to continue to run Cacko on your Zaurus, then look for the kernel source code with cacko's patches on their website.
EDIT: Here's the link: http://cacko.oesf.org/downloads/rom/1.23/c...l-2.4.20.tar.gz

-albertr
Mjolinor
I found the sources including the one above (thanks). I also got
arm-cacko-linux-gnu-2.95.3-2.2.5-hardfloat-19.50_21.09.05 and
linux-c3000-20041116-rom1_01

I am so far away from being able to do this that I fear I will die of old age before I sort it.

As far as building my own kernel goes all that I know is I download the sources then use make menuconfig, xconfig or manually edit the .config file then build the kernels and modules and install them. This is on my desktop computer.

After looking in what I downloaded for what I think I need there is no .config file and the Zaurus doesn't have the kernel binary where I think it should be (according to my desktop computer) so things are obviously done in a different way. It's looking to me that I have to use a X86 linux machine to cross compile for the Zaurus then make an image and reload the complete OS onto the Zaurus using the boot menus.

I really do need to do a lump of reading as I can't even get off first base in figuring all this out.

Any links please.
albertr
There're two directories in the cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20.tar.gz archive. One is linux kernel tree (with cacko patches already applied) and the other is kernel config file. If you have C3000, use spitz, if you have 3100, use borzoi. Copy it to linux/.config.

Unpack the serial driver over the kernel tree, replacing the old files.

Run menuconfig/xconfig to enable the serial driver (under character devices section) and disable "SL-series serial port support".

Run `make dep`, then `make zImage`.

The new compressed kernel will be found as linux/arch/arm/boot/zImage.
-albertr
Mjolinor
QUOTE(albertr @ Apr 16 2006, 01:33 PM)
There're two directories in the cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20.tar.gz archive. One is linux kernel tree (with cacko patches already applied) and the other is kernel config file. If you have C3000, use spitz, if you have 3100, use borzoi. Copy it to linux/.config.

OK

Unpack the serial driver over the kernel tree, replacing the old files.

OK

Run menuconfig/xconfig to enable the serial driver (under character devices section) and disable "SL-series serial port support".

OK

Run `make dep`, then `make zImage`.

On the Zaurus or the PC. Presumably, if it is on the PC, I have to do soemthing to make it compile for the PXA rather than the X86, if it is on the Zaurus then I need to install GCC?

The new compressed kernel will be found as linux/arch/arm/boot/zImage.

Where is it on the Zaurus?
albertr
If you have a native compiler/toolchain installed on the Zaurus, then you can compile it there. Otherwise use a crosscompiler.
-albertr
Mjolinor
So is this a cross compiler or a native compiler or soemthign else. How do I use it?

arm-cacko-linux-gnu-2.95.3-2.2.5-hardfloat-19.50_21.09.05
Having a directory called "cross" I assume it is the former so I added the path for the bin files with:-

export PATH=$PATH:/home/jd/Desktop/bluetooth/kernel/arm-cacko-linux-gnu-2.95.3-2.2.5-hardfloat-19.50_21.09.05/opt/cross/arm/2.95.3/bin

and make dep gives me:-
  Making asm-arm/arch -> asm-arm/arch-pxa symlink
  Making asm-arm/proc -> asm-arm/proc-armv symlink
rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-arm asm)
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jd/Desktop/bluetooth/kernel/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/linux/arch/arm/tools'
/home/jd/Desktop/bluetooth/kernel/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/linux/scripts/mkdep -D__KERNEL__ -I/home/jd/Desktop/bluetooth/kernel/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Uarm -fno-common -pipe -mapcs-32 -D__LINUX_ARM_ARCH__=4 -march=armv4 -Wa,-miwmmxt -mtune=strongarm -mshort-load-bytes -msoft-float -Uarm  -- getconstants.c |\
sed s,getconstants.o,constants.h, > .depend
make all
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jd/Desktop/bluetooth/kernel/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/linux/arch/arm/tools'
arm-cacko-linux-gnu-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/home/jd/Desktop/bluetooth/kernel/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Uarm -fno-common -pipe -mapcs-32 -D__LINUX_ARM_ARCH__=4 -march=armv4 -Wa,-miwmmxt -mtune=strongarm -mshort-load-bytes -msoft-float -Uarm -S -o constants.h.tmp.1 getconstants.c
make[2]: arm-cacko-linux-gnu-gcc: Command not found
make[2]: *** [constants.h] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jd/Desktop/bluetooth/kernel/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/linux/arch/arm/tools'
make[1]: *** [dep] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jd/Desktop/bluetooth/kernel/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/cacko-1.23-kernel-2.4.20/linux/arch/arm/tools'
make: *** [archdep] Error 2

Stuck again now.
Mjolinor
Am I going to be able to do this more easily if I use a different ROM. At this stage I don't care which ROM is installed.
0xDEADBEEF
Today I found Zydas ZD1211 based USB Wifi dongles on sale at Fry's for $8.99+tax!
its called Airlink 101 AWLL3026/NA

It opens up very easily. I wonder if the PCB will fit inside C3100.
speculatrix
RE: Eriksson ROK module, been reading the specifications... it's a 3.3V device for both power and logic levels.

It has an I2C master interface, which I guess can be used to extend the I/O capability somewhat.

From the spec, it seems that these are not lead-free, which might explain how come there have been so many dumped on the market.

So, my question is this... how easy will it be to hook it up to my 860? Is there a spare serial port, or should I consider stealing the IRDA comm port?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.