Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stuffing Serial Bluetooth Module Inside C1k Casing
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Hardware Mods
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
2x4ever
I've just bought a new NONAME dongle. I was unable to find an old revision Billionton. Only v1.2. But it's seems that this noname dongle have the same design as billionton has.
Photos:
http://2x4ever-vpn.compot.ru/zaurus/pics/noname_dongle/
albertr
It looks close to BC2-Ext reference design, but not exactly it. I think I had some problems with this design awhile ago switching it into UART mode. Were you able to switch it?
-albertr
2x4ever
QUOTE(albertr @ Sep 3 2005, 03:53 PM)
It looks close to BC2-Ext reference design, but not exactly it. I think I had some problems with this design awhile ago switching it into UART mode. Were you able to switch it?
-albertr

Yes, i've switched it into UART mode without problems. The only problem was is to suggest UART pins since its placed in different place but oscilloscope is allways with me smile.gif
2x4ever
I have another porblem. After switching it to BCSP mode i can't access its pskeys anymore. BTW i've upgraded its firmware to 16.4, can this be a problem?
albertr
QUOTE(2x4ever @ Sep 3 2005, 10:55 AM)
Yes, i've switched it into UART mode without problems. The only problem was is to suggest UART pins since its placed in different place but oscilloscope is allways with me smile.gif

Ahh, that was it, now I remember. I don't have an o'scope, so that was a real problem for me.
-albertr
albertr
QUOTE(2x4ever @ Sep 3 2005, 11:05 AM)
I have another porblem. After switching it to BCSP mode i can't access its pskeys anymore. BTW i've upgraded its firmware to 16.4, can this be a problem?

Do you mean 16.14? If so, I don't think it should be a problem, at least I don;t rememeber seeing anything like this in the bugs list/release notes for this version.

You don't use a ram persistent store to temporary test your ps keys, do you? What I do here is writing new ps keys into ram and then rebooting the module to test it out. Once I'm satisfied with everything, I write it into flash to make permanent change.
-albertr
2x4ever
QUOTE(albertr @ Sep 3 2005, 04:44 PM)
Do you mean 16.14? If so, I don't think it should be a problem, at least I don;t rememeber seeing anything like this in the bugs list/release notes for this version.
Yes 16.14.

QUOTE(albertr @ Sep 3 2005, 04:44 PM)
You don't use a ram persistent store to temporary test your ps keys, do you? What I do here is writing new ps keys into ram and then rebooting the module to test it out. Once I'm satisfied with everything, I write it into flash to make permanent change.
-albertr
No i don't. I'm to lazy to write my own code for changin pskeys. So i'm using pskey provided by Fabrizio Gennari and it can't use a ram persistent store. Or maybe i had totaly mislooked something.
albertr
I don't use pskeys, but I believe it could be changed to use RAM store. Take a look at documentation available @ csrsupport.com.

On a side note, I recently acquired a DELL Trumobile 350 bluetooth module. It has a BC4-Ext w/ 8Mb flash inside and supports BT 2.0 specs with enhanced data rate (upto 3Mb/s). Even with slower uart speeds, the radio is supposed to transmit for shorted periods of time when communicating with other BT 2.0 devices, thus better power consumption. It also small in size, so could be a good fit inside the Zaurus. However, I have a problem with locating its pinout (it has a 10 pin connector and six additional soldering pads on the back). The module is manufactured by USI for DELL, but all design is done by CSR itself, so I'm sure it could be switched to uart mode. Here in the US, it's just a slightly more expensive than usb dongles, I think I paid approx. $20 for this module. Can you find one in Russia at reasonable price?
-albertr
2x4ever
QUOTE(albertr @ Sep 3 2005, 05:42 PM)
I don't use pskeys, but I believe it could be changed to use RAM store. Take a look at documentation available @ csrsupport.com.

On a side note, I recently acquired a DELL Trumobile 350 bluetooth module. It has a BC4-Ext w/ 8Mb flash inside and supports BT 2.0 specs with enhanced data rate (upto 3Mb/s). Even with slower uart speeds, the radio is supposed to transmit for shorted periods of time when communicating with other BT 2.0 devices, thus better power consumption.  It also small in size, so could be a good fit inside the Zaurus. However, I have a problem with locating its pinout (it has a 10 pin connector and six additional soldering pads on the back). The module is manufactured by USI for DELL, but all design is done by CSR itself, so I'm sure it could be switched to uart mode. Here in the US, it's just a slightly more expensive than usb dongles, I think I paid approx. $20 for this module. Can you find one in Russia at reasonable price?
-albertr

I'm not fully understading what module a you tallking about. Is it a module use in Dell's notebooks? I'll take a look at prices. Can you post some images of it?
2x4ever
Ok. I figured out. At the first look (internet sites) there is no available modules for sale now. I'll try to call to a companies selling dell's notebooks and ask.
albertr
Correction: there're 17 soldering pads on the back of the module (not 6).
P.S. I'll post some pictures of it later tonight, have to run to "zharit' shashlik'" now wink.gif
-albertr
2x4ever
zharit' shashlik - is great smile.gif All other things can wait.
albertr
Here's the pics of DELL Truemobile 350 module compared to CF type I memory card:

http://www.iral.com/~albertr/billionton/dell350front.jpg
http://www.iral.com/~albertr/billionton/dell350back.jpg

Here's a picture of internal guts from FCC database: https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/bl...tive_or_pdf=pdf

-albertr
Da_Blitz
Cant wait to see this working so i can do it myself
2x4ever
I've contacted with an official Dell distributor in Russia and they will tell me about availability of this module tomorrow.

QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Sep 5 2005, 01:01 AM)
Cant wait to see this working so i can do it myself

Don't wait, try to help us wink.gif
mikekostousov
QUOTE(2x4ever @ Sep 5 2005, 11:12 AM)
I've contacted with an official Dell distributor in Russia and they will tell me about availability of this module tomorrow.

While you are waiting answer from Dell can you tell me it is possible to use LED wires for control bluetooth power? I think, it is one of abilities. For example, we can use mail LED as Bluetooth LED and bluetooth power control.
2x4ever
QUOTE(mikekostousov @ Sep 5 2005, 12:55 PM)

While you are waiting answer from Dell can you tell me it is possible to use LED wires for control bluetooth power? I think, it is one of abilities. For example, we can use mail LED as Bluetooth LED and bluetooth power control.

Yes we can. But what if you want to leave this LED for mail notification?
mikekostousov
QUOTE(2x4ever @ Sep 5 2005, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE(mikekostousov @ Sep 5 2005, 12:55 PM)

Yes we can. But what if you want to leave this LED for mail notification?

I just want to foget it smile.gif
By the way, we can try to combine LEDs and power control.
How is LED control constructed? Perhaps, we can use somthing like one-wire control? I'm trying to find one-wire switcher or trigger to combine some functions.
mikekostousov
For example:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/3818/ln/

But, I hope that Zaurus LED control has a bit more abilities than it uses.
speculatrix
QUOTE(mikekostousov @ Sep 5 2005, 02:39 PM)
By the way, we can try to combine LEDs and power control.
How is LED control constructed? Perhaps, we can use somthing like one-wire control? I'm trying to find one-wire switcher or trigger to combine some functions.

Sudden inspirational thought:

Why not just control the bluetooth module with the charging LED without fancy switching?!

1) if Z is being charged, the BT module is turned on. But since you're on charge, you don't care about the extra current drain! Unless of course you're using an external battery pack/charger which very few people do.

2) if the Z isn't plugged into a charger, then you know the BT module is on when LED is on, as it wouldn't be on otherwise.

Am I going mad or is this a good idea?
2x4ever
QUOTE(mikekostousov @ Sep 5 2005, 01:43 PM)
For example:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/3818/ln/

But, I hope that Zaurus LED control has a bit more abilities than it uses.

It's just a GPIO pin soldered to LED throught a PNP transistor. An one JK flip-flop is more than enougth to control the LED and the module separately

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Posted Today, 01:45 PM)

This is a good idea.
albertr
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Sep 5 2005, 08:45 AM)

Why not just control the bluetooth module with the charging LED without fancy switching?!

1) if Z is being charged, the BT module is turned on. But since you're on charge, you don't care about the extra current drain! Unless of course you're using an external battery pack/charger which very few people do.

2) if the Z isn't plugged into a charger, then you know the BT module is on when LED is on, as it wouldn't be on otherwise.

What if you use bt to open an rfcomm connection to your phone to get online while on the road?
-albertr
albertr
If BCSP protorol is used, then I don't believe that power drain should be an issue. If serial driver would send break signal when port is closed, then BC will enter deep sleep mode where power drain is almost nil.
-albertr
2x4ever
QUOTE(albertr @ Sep 5 2005, 02:26 PM)
If BCSP protorol is used, then I don't believe that power drain should be an issue. If serial driver would send break signal when port is closed, then BC will enter deep sleep mode where power drain is almost nil.
-albertr

But what if want to use your serial port for another things while BT is switched off?

I think we could mix speculatrix and mikekostousov solutions:
We can solder a JK flip-flop to the charge LED. To turn bluetooth on we just blink the LED one time. To switch BT off we must blink the LED once again. Then we must hook any access to the LED in kernel. So if any application is want to just blink the LED without turnin BT on we hook this and switching the LED twice very quick so it will not visible to user and BT does not switching on.
albertr
Umm, I wasn't thinking about using the same serial port for both bluetooth and serial connections. How that could be done?

I believe that charging LED control is only used in the kernel code. I might be wrong, but it doesn't look like this LED is used in QT/Qtopia. If so, it shouldn't be hard to modify this code to blink twice or whatever.
-albertr
2x4ever
QUOTE(albertr @ Sep 5 2005, 02:45 PM)
Umm, I wasn't thinking about using the same serial port for both bluetooth and serial connections. How that could be done?

I believe that charging LED control is only used in the kernel code.  I might be wrong, but it doesn't look like this LED is used in QT/Qtopia. If so, it shouldn't be hard to modify this code to blink twice or whatever.
-albertr

It cannot be used for both bt and serial connections at the same time of course. But when BT is switched off a use of this serial port for other things shouldn't be a problem. However it may require some diodes to be soldered.
speculatrix
QUOTE(2x4ever @ Sep 5 2005, 03:58 PM)

It cannot be used for both bt and serial connections at the same time of course. But when BT is switched off a use of this serial port for other things shouldn't be a problem. However it may require some diodes to be soldered.

why not steal the IRDA serial lines? are they actually any use at all?
2x4ever
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Sep 5 2005, 04:32 PM)

Yes. I'm using irda time to time. Not all of my friends have bluetooth enabled hardware.
But actualy we can share irda serial line with bluetooth.
mikekostousov
QUOTE(2x4ever @ Sep 5 2005, 05:05 PM)
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Sep 5 2005, 04:32 PM)

Yes. I'm using irda time to time. Not all of my friends have bluetooth enabled hardware.
But actualy we can share irda serial line with bluetooth.

Ok.. If you turned external power on, the power LED is turned on and you will take bluetooth power on and all irda hardware down...
Is it ok?
2x4ever
QUOTE(mikekostousov @ Sep 5 2005, 06:14 PM)
Ok.. If you turned external power on, the power LED is turned on and you will take bluetooth power on and all irda hardware down...
Is it ok?

No. The power LED is controlled by kernel so we can track the moment when external power cord is connected and turn on the power LED twice quickly. The pull-down capacitor will not allow BT to be turned on during this procedure. The only place where we can't track the moment of applying power is when device is in sleep mode or is switched off. But IRDA transiver is switched of at this moment too so this is not an issue.
2x4ever
The whole schematic should be a somthing like this:
http://2x4ever-vpn.compot.ru/zaurus/pics/p...l_schematic.PNG

Warning: transister connection is totaly wrong.
mikekostousov
QUOTE(2x4ever @ Sep 5 2005, 07:00 PM)
The whole schematic should be a somthing like this:
http://2x4ever-vpn.compot.ru/zaurus/pics/p...l_schematic.PNG

I think, the schematic is ok, but I don't know much about it. Why are you using such small resistance parallel to bluetooth? How long must delay be between impulses on JK flip-flop? I think, it will be great to filter dirty impulses which are generated when power plugin are slightly setted in the chassis. Perhaps, it is better to work with mail LED? Because we don't have any external events (such as power connection) which can be applied on the mail LED.
speculatrix
QUOTE(albertr @ Sep 5 2005, 03:17 PM)
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Sep 5 2005, 08:45 AM)

What if you use bt to open an rfcomm connection to your phone to get online while on the road?
-albertr

I don't understand what the problem is... the charge LED is an OR of "BT-on" OR "charging"...
if you use an in-car charger, well, the Bluetooth is turned on when you start charging 'cos the light comes on.
if you're not charging, no external power, we override the LED anyway as it's software controlled and not connected to the charging circuitry per se.

Paul
albertr
Ahh, now I see what you are saying... Sorry, I misunderstood your original post.
-albertr
Da_Blitz
try typing ledctl on your command line, should give you the help for it wink.gif

the led is software based connected to the pxa io pins so asm code should be able to switch it i belive,mabey ethier way that led program allows you to change it

if i rember corectly the 2.6 kerenel has support for led's throght the device /dev/led, cant remeber the major/minor thogh
speculatrix
I came across an advert for a company who sell embedded bluetooth modules...
http://www.adaptblue.com/wireless_tech_full_list.htm

the small one is only 13.5 mm x 10 mm x 1.9 m, but it probably needs some interface circuitry and external aerial.

meanwhile, I have a friend of a friend who works at CSR, so I am wondering if I can get hold of an engineering sample of a small module. I presume I just need to find one that has a 3.3V logic level serial interface that runs in 2-wire UART mode?
albertr
Can your friend's friend help with getting a hold of schemantics or at least connector pin-out of DELL Trumobile 350 module? Assuming it's not a top-secret information? The module is manufactured by USI, but design and certification is done by CSR itself.
-albertr
2x4ever
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Sep 6 2005, 12:18 PM)
I came across an advert for a company who sell embedded bluetooth modules...
http://www.adaptblue.com/wireless_tech_full_list.htm

the small one is only 13.5 mm x 10 mm x 1.9 m, but it probably needs some interface circuitry and external aerial.

meanwhile, I have a friend of a friend who works at CSR, so I am wondering if I can get hold of an engineering sample of a small module. I presume I just need to find one that has a 3.3V logic level serial interface that runs in 2-wire UART mode?

Why don't you want just use an USB dongle? It's small enought to fit it into zaurus and uses 3.3 v logic level.
speculatrix
QUOTE(albertr @ Sep 6 2005, 02:07 PM)
Can your friend's friend help with getting a hold of schemantics or at least connector pin-out of DELL Trumobile 350 module? Assuming it's not a top-secret information? The module is manufactured by USI, but design and certification is done by CSR itself.
-albertr

I've fired off the request. Maybe I'll strike lucky and get offered some engineering samples :-)
mikekostousov
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Sep 6 2005, 01:38 PM)
QUOTE(albertr @ Sep 6 2005, 02:07 PM)
-albertr

I've fired off the request. Maybe I'll strike lucky and get offered some engineering samples :-)

Is there any sucsess with bluetooth?
speculatrix
not had a response from my contact, but he tends to spend a lot of time away, plus if he's got kids, he'll probably be having a last minute holiday before schools restart.

so, in summary... all we need is the right bluetooth modules and to swap the flash and RAM chips in the 3100, replace the internal microdrive with a wireless lan adaptor, and we've got the ultimate PDA!
speculatrix
sorry, still no news
albertr
Just got news from CSR (Thanks, Miguel!) - There're no UART lines traced on DELL 350 module to either its connector or pads. So this module is NO good for using as a serial module. Sorry for bad news, folks...
-albertr
Da_Blitz
any one know if there is a second usb port with tracks going somwhere we can solder ot, the pxa in those chips have 3 usb host ports and one client port (the client port can also reroute the signalks from one of the usb host ports to do usb OTG)
2x4ever
albertr, i need your help smile.gif
It's seems that you know sharp's serial driver internal very well. After finishing all the soldering stuff i have a problem with software now. The problem is that when i run hciattach it initializing bt module and then after a second or bit less zaurus is fully, totaly , absolutely hangs. If i enable DEBUG stuff in the driver then it doesn't hangs but BT isn't working well.
albertr
Umm... weird. Is it in BCSP mode? Can you see if kernel spits out any error messages? I.e. configure syslog to log everything out to console, make your current vt a console and run attach command from this vt?
-albertr
2x4ever
QUOTE(albertr @ Sep 13 2005, 06:02 PM)
Umm... weird. Is it in BCSP mode? Can you see if kernel spits out any error messages? I.e. configure syslog to log everything out to console, make your current vt a console and run attach command from this vt?
-albertr

Yes it's in BCSP mode. I can't see any kernel error messages since it's hangs so completle that even fb driver isn't working. Some times it doesn't hangs and all working very good until i relaunch hciattach. And this is happening at any speed even at 38400.
2x4ever
By the way: i've tried your desharpised serial driver? but it seems that it isn't designed to work with an old pxa. It isn't receiving any characters.
albertr
If you didn't solder it to ffuart, how about running getty on ttyS0 and redirecting console output there?

The serial driver has some PXA270 dependencies, i.e. fifo size.
-albertr
2x4ever
QUOTE(albertr @ Sep 13 2005, 06:17 PM)
If you didn't solder it to ffuart, how about running getty on ttyS0 and redirecting console output there?

The serial driver has some PXA270 dependencies, i.e. fifo size.
-albertr

I've burned my ffuart so this isn't possible. I've changed FIFO size to 32 is there any other dependencies?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.