Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Native Compilation Of Sl-c860 Kernel
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
danr
Hi,

Has anyone managed to compile the SL-C860 kernel natively? I don't have access to a linux machine so I'm trying to compile the kernel on my Zaurus. I've examined the pdaXrom builder here and looked at the instructions here, and can compile the kernel after applying all the patches (in order!) and using the configuration, kernel-2.4.18-boxer-cacko. For the compilation I'm using gcc 2.95.2 and binutils 2.9.5, from the zgcc cramfs.

The zImage in arch/arm/build builds but when I rename it to zImage.bin, add it to the pdaXrom tools.tar and flash with it, on reboot the system hangs without any messages. Fortunately I can re-flash with the old version because during the pdaXrom flash routine I go to the command line and copy the original tools.tar back to the CF card.

Has anyone managed to compile a working kernel? Am I missing something obvious here?

Cheers,

Dan
Zumi
pdaX86 is a Live Linux distrib. You can boot it and have the dev. enviroment setup in a minute. Crosscompiling the kernel is much faster and easier than trying to build it natively. I crossbuilt a kernel once, but I haven't tried to boot it, I only needed some new modules from it. I think it worth the try to setup a cross enviroment on your desktop computer than stuggling with the native compile.

Here's the pdaXrom LiveCD image:
http://212.10.30.205/rc10/x86/athlon/pdaXrom.iso (this is for Athlon XP CPUs)

Zumi smile.gif
danr
QUOTE(Zumi @ Jul 4 2005, 12:38 PM)
pdaX86 is a Live Linux distrib. You can boot it and have the dev. enviroment setup in a minute. Crosscompiling the kernel is much faster and easier than trying to build it natively. I crossbuilt a kernel once, but I haven't tried to boot it, I only needed some new modules from it. I think it worth the try to setup a cross enviroment on your desktop computer than stuggling with the native compile.

Here's the pdaXrom LiveCD image:
http://212.10.30.205/rc10/x86/athlon/pdaXrom.iso (this is for Athlon XP CPUs)

Zumi smile.gif

It does sound easier to do a cross-compile using the pdaXrom LiveCD image, but the problem is that the only PC I have access to at the mo is the Windows one I use at work, and I don't particularly want to start booting Linux on it wink.gif

Perhaps when I get access to a PC at home again I'll give it a go, after downloading the necessary files at work first. But I just wondered if anyone had done this natively.

Out of interest, compiling the kernel on my Zaurus takes just under an hour; cross-compiling on my work machine (using Cygwin) takes 1.5h.

Cheers,

Dan
Martin
Hi :-)

... any chance to get this image for intel or via c3 cpu ?

Thanks
Martin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.