Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reading Zaurus' Serial Number... How?
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Everything Development > User Request for Applications
bioHazard
Is there a way to get the Zaurus SL-Cxxxx serial number by making a small application?

The diagnostic mode does show a serial number, so I guess it would be possible to get it somehow... Anyone ever tried?
bam
why?
bioHazard
I have several PDAs that I must identify against a database. I'm looking for a unique number that would serve as a fingerprint. The serial number seemed like the best approach.

Thanks!
bam
yea but if you can read it...then it can be intercepted and changed before the application gets the data, trust me
bioHazard
It will be used internally by our IT guys. The customer will never send us this number. So I'm not worried about that.
Tehas
If that doesn't work, would reading the host name work?
doseas
QUOTE(bioHazard @ Jul 5 2005, 09:24 PM)
Is there a way to get the Zaurus SL-Cxxxx serial number by making a small application?

The diagnostic mode does show a serial number, so I guess it would be possible to get it somehow... Anyone ever tried?

See if it shows up as the last line in the /proc/cpuinfo file. There is a place for the serial number, but older Zaurus models put all zeros in that field.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.