Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headaches Getting Thunderbird Working
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 General discussions
Raybot
Hi all!

I've just brought home a shiny new C3000 ... and have been fighting Debian ever since :-(

The first thing I wanted to do was get Thunderbird working ... I installed the jumbo GTK-X11 pack as per http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/jumbo/xqtjumbo.html and things seemed OK ... I installed Gimp and it worked (although editing 5 megapixel images didn't really work very well in the limited 64MB RAM!), xterms worked, Firefox worked, things looked groovy.

Then I installed Thunderbird. And whenever I try to run it, it gives me the error:

CODE
/usr/lib/thunderbird-0.6/thunderbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm running the default, stock Sharp ROM. I've tried all sorts of things, from installing versions of libstdc++ from the various OpenZaurus feeds (doing the "ar -x <package>" then re-tar.gz'ing as necessary) to uninstalling and reinstalling all sorts of things to no avail. Except every now and again, it gives me another bizzare error, instead of missing libstdc++.so.5, it complains about a missing libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (which I've checked does actually exist in /opt/QtPalmtop/lib). Generally this happens when I try to run thunderbird as root (but even THEN not always).

I'm tearing my hair out (and hence adding to the headache)! I've been trawling these forums (and a pile of other websites) for the last 4 hours with no success (on that note, is it just me or does highlighting in this forum break if you have more than 1 search term?). Can anyone shed any light on this? DOES Thunderbird work with the standard ROM?

I've also been trying to get SSL working (to open the possibility of using ompi) but that opens yet another can of worms relating to, for instance, the fact that /lib is read-only (and various dependancies seem to want to write new versions there). Anyone got any hints for that one?

- Raybot
Meanie
QUOTE(Raybot @ Jul 25 2005, 09:10 PM)
Hi all!

I've just brought home a shiny new C3000 ... and have been fighting Debian ever since :-(

The first thing I wanted to do was get Thunderbird working ... I installed the jumbo GTK-X11 pack as per http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/jumbo/xqtjumbo.html and things seemed OK ... I installed Gimp and it worked (although editing 5 megapixel images didn't really work very well in the limited 64MB RAM!), xterms worked, Firefox worked, things looked groovy.

Then I installed Thunderbird. And whenever I try to run it, it gives me the error:

CODE
/usr/lib/thunderbird-0.6/thunderbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm running the default, stock Sharp ROM. I've tried all sorts of things, from installing versions of libstdc++ from the various OpenZaurus feeds (doing the "ar -x <package>" then re-tar.gz'ing as necessary) to uninstalling and reinstalling all sorts of things to no avail. Except every now and again, it gives me another bizzare error, instead of missing libstdc++.so.5, it complains about a missing libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (which I've checked does actually exist in /opt/QtPalmtop/lib). Generally this happens when I try to run thunderbird as root (but even THEN not always).

I'm tearing my hair out (and hence adding to the headache)! I've been trawling these forums (and a pile of other websites) for the last 4 hours with no success (on that note, is it just me or does highlighting in this forum break if you have more than 1 search term?). Can anyone shed any light on this? DOES Thunderbird work with the standard ROM?

I've also been trying to get SSL working (to open the possibility of using ompi) but that opens yet another can of worms relating to, for instance, the fact that /lib is read-only (and various dependancies seem to want to write new versions there). Anyone got any hints for that one?

- Raybot

You will need to install libstdc++.so.5.0.5 and link it to libstdc++.so.5

using openzaurus binaries with the standard sharp rom is not a very good idea. you'd be better off using pdaxrom binaries, except the kathrin ones.
Raybot
Thanks for that, Meanie!

Where could I get a safe version of libstdc++.so.5.0.5 from? Everywhere I look, the earliest version I can find is 6.0.3. I tried installing a version I found for Familiar but it's complaining about GCC and glibc versions (which, being in /lib, are readonly - I'm not so sure remounting as read/write is a good idea, they must be read-only for a reason ... or are they?).

Alternatively, given I've not yet transferred much across now, would another ROM (OpenZaurus perhaps) be more suitable for getting things like this working? I'd like to use this as a little Linux laptop (web/email, organizer - I've got the kpim suite working, some gcc/g++ development) so compatibility with the more widely available set of packages is quite important (starting with a version of ipkg that actually understands both formats!).

Cheers!

- Raybot
Meanie
QUOTE(Raybot @ Jul 26 2005, 03:15 PM)
Thanks for that, Meanie!

Where could I get a safe version of libstdc++.so.5.0.5 from? Everywhere I look, the earliest version I can find is 6.0.3. I tried installing a version I found for Familiar but it's complaining about GCC and glibc versions (which, being in /lib, are readonly - I'm not so sure remounting as read/write is a good idea, they must be read-only for a reason ... or are they?).

Alternatively, given I've not yet transferred much across now, would another ROM (OpenZaurus perhaps) be more suitable for getting things like this working? I'd like to use this as a little Linux laptop (web/email, organizer - I've got the kpim suite working, some gcc/g++ development) so compatibility with the more widely available set of packages is quite important (starting with a version of ipkg that actually understands both formats!).

Cheers!

- Raybot

try http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus

the libstdc5-compat-sharp package should have what you need.

also, the only stable rom for C3000 is sharp rom. none of the other roms is stable enough to use for real work, so they might be fun to play with but be careful if you need your C3K for serious stuff.
rebski
Where to find Meanie’s build of thunderbird_0.6-1_arm.ipk?
Raybot
OK I'm now convinced my Zaurus is taunting me :-(

Did a full reset then installed:
- openssh-[addon|client|server]-3.6.1p1_arm.ipk
- sudo_1.6.4p7-2_arm.ipk
- wlan-prism3_1.0.0_arm.ipk
- custom-jaen_arm.ipk (actually c3000-custom-jaen_0.1_arm.ipk but it doesn't like the filename)
- qkonsole/qpeterminal
- xqt-gtk-jumbopack_0.4.3-0.6_arm.ipk
- libstdc5-compat-sharp_0.5_arm.ipk
- libiconv_1.8-2_arm.ipk
- thunderbird_0.6_armv5tel.ipk

Thunderbird's post-install script errors out with:
CODE
Configuring thunderbird...//usr/lib/ipkg/info/thunderbird.postinst: 4: Syntax error: "fi" unexpected (expecting "then")

I can't figure out why this happens - the script itself seems reasonable. At any rate, I figure it's the post-install, it's the last thing that runs and the if-then that it errors out on doesn't trigger anyway.

And when I try to run thunderbird (after setting DISPLAY=localhost:0)

I get the following:
CODE
$ thunderbird

(thunderbird-bin:2839): Gdk-WARNING **: Error converting from UTF-8 to STRING: Could not open converter from 'UTF-8' to 'ISO-8859-1'

(thunderbird-bin:2839): Gdk-WARNING **: Error converting from UTF-8 to STRING: Conversion from character set 'UTF-8' to 'ISO-8859-1' is not supported
*** global extensions startup!
*** profile extensions startup

(thunderbird-bin:2839): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Can not open pixbuf loader module file '/opt/QtPalmtop/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders': No such file or directory

followed by a pile of errors of the sort:
CODE
(thunderbird-bin:2839): Gdk-WARNING **: Error converting from UTF-8 to STRING: Conversion from character set 'UTF-8' to 'ISO-8859-1' is not supported

followed by:
CODE
** (thunderbird-bin:2839): WARNING **: No builtin or dynamically loaded modules
were found. Pango will not work correctly. This probably means
there was an error in the creation of:
 '/opt/QtPalmtop/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You may be able to recreate this file by running pango-querymodules.

(thunderbird-bin:2839): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1561 (g_object_ref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

** (thunderbird-bin:2839): CRITICAL **: file pango-engine.c: line 68 (_pango_engine_shape_shape): assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed

** ERROR **: file shape.c: line 75 (pango_shape): assertion failed: (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)
aborting...
Aborted

*sigh* am I missing something fundamental here?!

- Raybot
Raybot
OK I think I've been staring at this for too long and it's making my brain go weird ... install pango_1.4.1_arm.ipk (I thought this existed in the jumbo package but I reinstalled it anyway) and xqt-libXrenderer_1.2.2_arm.ipk and thunderbird is a little bit happier ... still has a pile of similar warnings to before (especially the gdk-pixbuf.loaders and character set conversion errors) but it actually loads now.

*sigh*

OK onto the next hurdle!

- Raybot
xfaethorx
I've been having some rough problems getting this to work on my SL-C3100 and I'm still a little stuck. I've tried installing 3 different versions of the thunderbird package 2 and all though the claim to be the same. I tired meanies package but it claims theres tar problems with it and generally wont install sad.gif so I gave up with that and used : thunderbird_0.6_arm5tel.ipk installs ok from the console.

now (obviously I have X/QT jumbo installed) when I come to try and execute thunderbird heres what happens

su -
xlauncher thunderbird

/usr/thundrbird-0.6/thunderbird-bin : /home/QtPalmtop/lib/libgcc_so.so.1; version 'GCC_3.3' not found (required by /home/QtPalmtop/lib/libstdc++.so.5).

these are the ipks i have installed.

- libiconv_1.8-2_arm.ipk

what annoys the crap out of me is that under debian workstation i can launch thunderbird no problems but its dog slow just like firefox, but if you launch it firefox not inside debian it works quicker hence why im trying to get these tools working under X/QT.

all help appriciated here. I've only had my zaurus a week so im still a bit new to everything.
Meanie
QUOTE(xfaethorx @ Aug 25 2005, 07:57 PM)
I've been having some rough problems getting this to work on my SL-C3100 and I'm still a little stuck. I've tried installing 3 different versions of the thunderbird package 2 and all though the claim to be the same. I tired meanies package but it claims theres tar problems with it and generally wont install sad.gif so I gave up with that and used :  thunderbird_0.6_arm5tel.ipk installs ok from the console.

now (obviously I have X/QT jumbo installed) when I come to try and execute thunderbird heres what happens

su -
xlauncher thunderbird

/usr/thundrbird-0.6/thunderbird-bin : /home/QtPalmtop/lib/libgcc_so.so.1; version 'GCC_3.3' not found (required by /home/QtPalmtop/lib/libstdc++.so.5).

- libiconv_1.8-2_arm.ipk

what annoys the crap out of me is that under debian workstation i can launch thunderbird no problems but its dog slow just like firefox, but if you launch it firefox not inside debian it works quicker hence why im trying to get these tools working under X/QT.

all help appriciated here. I've only had my zaurus a week so im still a bit new to everything.

Interesting... I don't have /home/QtPalmtop/lib/libgcc_so.so.1

see if you have /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1, if you do, tnen try renaming the above to something else and try running thunderbird again.
xfaethorx
QUOTE(Meanie @ Aug 25 2005, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE(xfaethorx @ Aug 25 2005, 07:57 PM)
I've been having some rough problems getting this to work on my SL-C3100 and I'm still a little stuck. I've tried installing 3 different versions of the thunderbird package 2 and all though the claim to be the same. I tired meanies package but it claims theres tar problems with it and generally wont install sad.gif so I gave up with that and used :  thunderbird_0.6_arm5tel.ipk installs ok from the console.

su -
xlauncher thunderbird

- libiconv_1.8-2_arm.ipk

Interesting... I don't have /home/QtPalmtop/lib/libgcc_so.so.1

see if you have /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1, if you do, tnen try renaming the above to something else and try running thunderbird again.

I the files were different so i just replaced the bugger and that issue disappeared however i've got another problem now sad.gif.

su -
xlauncher thunderbird

brings (sorry can't do all of the dump take to long).
{: out of space
[: out of space

gtk-critical **: file gtksignal.c: line 725 (gtk_signal_connect) asertion 'GTK_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed.
segmentation fault :S

anyone ?
icruise
QUOTE(Raybot @ Jul 27 2005, 03:03 AM)
OK I think I've been staring at this for too long and it's making my brain go weird ... install pango_1.4.1_arm.ipk (I thought this existed in the jumbo package but I reinstalled it anyway) and xqt-libXrenderer_1.2.2_arm.ipk and thunderbird is a little bit happier ... still has a pile of similar warnings to before (especially the gdk-pixbuf.loaders and character set conversion errors) but it actually loads now.

*sigh*

OK onto the next hurdle!

- Raybot

I am having the exact same problems you described. I tried installing pango_1.4.1_arm.ipk but it quit with a segment fault. Any ideas why that might be? I also don't know where to download xqt-libXrenderer_1.2.2_arm.ipk. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
rebski
icruise

try here for xqt-libXrenderer_1.2.2_arm.ipk

http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/custom/
icruise
QUOTE(rebski @ Aug 28 2005, 11:52 AM)
icruise

try here for xqt-libXrenderer_1.2.2_arm.ipk

http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/custom/

Ah, that explains it. I did look there, but I had been performing a search for "xqt-libXrenderer_1.2.2_arm.ipk" when in fact the file name is "xqt-libXrender_1.2.2_arm.ipk".

Thanks.
xfaethorx
well i've finally got it working here! What I had to do was install the v5tel.ipk version on the command line first, for some reason it installs with no problems for me that way (and its not because of power saving) . Once I tried that I got the pango errors that are mentioned in this thread.

The reason you get that is pango is installed under /etc/pango and thunderbird will look for it under /home/QtPalmtop/etc so I just symlinked that and the gtk-2.0 directory. If you look at meanies site and check his custom page it shows how to set the pango stuff up.

Once i'd linked two the two /etc directories via /home/QtPalmtop/etc/ thunderbird started no problem!

(FINALLY!).

I need to move the thunderbird directory to /hdd3 though as /home runs out of space so fucking fast its untrue!!!!
rebski
Well done on the success, I shall try that.

What did you type at the command line to install Thunderbird, please?
xfaethorx
QUOTE(rebski @ Aug 29 2005, 12:54 PM)
Well done on the success, I shall try that.

What did you type at the command line to install Thunderbird, please?

make sure your powersettings don't go into suspend or screensaver within say 1hr (best to install big packages whilst your plugged into the mains!).

ok cd into the directory where you have you .ipk located.

then do this..

su
ipkg install FILENAME.ipk

(obviously filename is the ipk you want to install.

what this will do is run the installer from the command line if something goes wrong, i,e your out of space on a device or your misisng a part of the install you'll see it this way where as you wont with the gui installer smile.gif.

hope that helps smile.gif.
rebski
That was very useful, thank you. I had assumed that it would be necessary to give the install destination path.

As you say the command line method permits explanation as to what is going wrong. In my case it is “No space left on device”.

What we need is a way of installing these apps to SD card. Failing which I should be kicking myself for buying the C1000 and instead of the C3100.
xfaethorx
QUOTE(rebski @ Aug 30 2005, 10:21 PM)
That was very useful, thank you.  I had assumed that it would be necessary to give the install destination path.

As you say the command line method permits explanation as to what is going wrong. In my case it is “No space left on device”.

What we need is a way of installing these apps to SD card. Failing which I should be kicking myself for buying the C1000 and instead of the C3100.

good thing to do is if anything installs to /home copy the dir to say card or hdd and symlink to it from there for that user! I've moved thunderbird and firefox directories to hdd3 in my case.

The C3100 runs out of home space far too quickly its lay out is badly thought out and would have been better to have the home directory mounted on the HDD I may in time just move the entire thing onto the HDD or 2 gig sd card but I want to get more comfortable with the zaurus as this is my first sharp device.

so far though i've successfully got

ethereal, abiword, thunderbird, firefox and debian installed on my device..although all of them have involved me trawling around for other missing libraries and editing lots of scripts / making symlinks even pissing about with ldconfig.

When it comes down to it you need a good grounding with administrating a linux box to get some of this stuff installed but once it works it works. At the minute my plan is to get everything i need working under X/QT without using debian as its a hog and tbh it doesn't provide me with much that I need. You can edit all the menus and stuff for debian though, I turned of the CPU monitor straight away as that takes up processor time so why bother wink.gif. X/QT is quicker to launch your applications from and you can configure blackbox for your user from the .blackboxrc file.
rebski
I had mistakenly believed that the C3100 Home was on the HDD.

Getting Thunderbird to run from Q/QT is what I want also but I don’t have any Linux or programming experience. In time I am sure things will evolve and the install will become idiot proof.

In the meantime I have to be content that users such as you are able to get it working and the feedback on your experiences is very welcome.

Your tip on moving /home installed apps to sd is a good one and maybe enough space can be freed up to allow Thunderbird to install.
xfaethorx
QUOTE(rebski @ Aug 31 2005, 10:17 AM)
I had mistakenly believed that the C3100 Home was on the HDD.

Getting Thunderbird to run from Q/QT is what I want also but I don’t have any Linux or programming experience. In time I am sure things will evolve and the install will become idiot proof.

In the meantime I have to be content that users such as you are able to get it working and the feedback on your experiences is very welcome.

Your tip on moving /home installed apps to sd is a good one and maybe enough space can be freed up to allow Thunderbird to install.

you could try moving everything under /home to the SD card and symlinking to it all from there. I'd back everything up before I did that mind incase it causes you major grief as theres a lot of stuff under /home, it might be wise to only move parts of it like the root and zaurus diretories.

you'll end up freeing some space at least smile.gif. Also from the command line.

use df -h to show what mounted devices have what space left on them.

and use du -h in a directory to find out what in that directory and its subsequent sub diretories is takin up space. I found that when i'd tried to install / uninstall a version of thunderbird that it'd left a lot of crap behind on my system and exhausted /home. Worth a shot in making sure theres nothing on that mount poin tthat you dont need!
icruise
Before I got my 3100, I had assumed that the 4GB microdrive would at least be available as an option for installing programs, but it is not. I think maybe part of the reason is that there isn't a good way of backing up the contents of the hard disk. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, my experimentation with Samba shares resulted in a Zaurus that wouldn't boot and had to be restored to the factory settings -- no less than 3 times. Doing this also erases the hard disk. If you install programs on the hard disk, even restoring from a backup won't restore your work environment completely. This is why I am only putting things that are easily replaceable on the hard disk. Things like dictionaries, movie files, etc. I put any documents I create on an SD card.

What is the situation with the 3000?
mtfbwy
I have installed Thunderbird and X/Qt but I now get the error "Illegal Instruction" when I fire it up. I had this version working on my C3000 but had to start from scratch after hosing the permissions for /home. Any ideas? I think I had this previously but can't remember what I did to get it working. Firefox works fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.