Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pdaxrom Vs Other Roms
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
omro
Hi guys,

I had a brief flirt with pdaXrom, but was in a bit of a rush to use my Z constructively, so didn't really have time for a full play. Definitely will be doing when the final version for the C1000 comes out? Any news on that, btw?

My question is this:

How quick is pdaXrom compared to other roms, does simply running pdaXrom slow things down?

For example the same hardware could run OS X v1 and OS X v3 and be way snappier with v3. I guess that's the same with most operating systems, so that's why I'm asking this about this one.

Thanks
benplaut
that's a good question...

i messed around with Sharp ROM, OZ/Opie, and pdaXrom w/ matchbox+blackbox and XFCE.

from using it pretty much vanilla for a while, it seems slightly less snappy, but programs open at about the same speed (IE, in Sharp ROM, you click a program, it immediately starts to load, and comes up a few seconds later. in pdaXrom, you click an icon, after a second it starts to load, but it loads faster than in Sharp).

in pdaXrom/XFCE, speed is decent... about how it would be for ubuntu w/XFCE on a desktop 600MHz 64mb RAM.

i know you're sick of hearing this, but try them out for yourself and develop your own opinion tongue.gif
omro
QUOTE(benplaut @ Jul 30 2005, 11:43 AM)
i know you're sick of hearing this, but try them out for yourself and develop your own opinion  tongue.gif

Why would I be sick of hearing a sensible suggestion?
But, if someone else has done the hard work, so I don't have to, I'm certainly going to ask!
benplaut
QUOTE(omro @ Jul 30 2005, 10:09 AM)
QUOTE(benplaut @ Jul 30 2005, 11:43 AM)
i know you're sick of hearing this, but try them out for yourself and develop your own opinion  tongue.gif

Why would I be sick of hearing a sensible suggestion?
But, if someone else has done the hard work, so I don't have to, I'm certainly going to ask!

i love doing this "hard work" happy.gif

the speed isn't as much of an issue as what you want to do with your Z...

oh, i'm probably just being redundent of what someone else has said dry.gif
scoutme
to me, pdaxrom is "faster" than other roms.

I mean that it's as fast as other roms now that it's stable and hs the softfloat hack. But since it's next to common desktop OS, it sounds faster to me, because I can use it as I use my laptop (fast terminal, fast software support - given the x native use).

Obviously, Firefox isn't as fast as the internet browser you find in the stock rom, but that browser sux... I would never use it even if I had it, because it cannot open every web-page, and cannot use flash plugin... actually, I'd use firefox evenin stock rom, if I could smile.gif

Also, pdaXrom is "faster" than other roms, since you have real windows, so you can give a look to more programs in the same time, and can use drag and drop (at least more than you can with other roms).

Finally, I like the best writing directly with Xstroke on the screen with all the windows opened as you like, than writing in a different box, using precious desktop space.
omro
I think when openoffice gets ported, I'll be a pdaXrom convert smile.gif
scoutme
I wanted OO for a while... now I'd like it only for highest format compatibility: for normal use lighter abiworld and gnumeric are maybe better
omro
I use open office on my XP desktop, Mac laptop and if I could use it on my zaurus as well, I'd be in heaven.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.