Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ipkg Request: Xfe
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
benplaut
i can't seem to find a filemanager that fits my needs... i want something like IE's file manager, with a tree that coresponds to the main view (like Nautilus's Browser mode)

i found XFE... it claims to be lightweight, and has all the functions i want, so here it is:
http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/

only dependency (AFAIK) is the FOX-toolkit, get version 1.4.x from:
http://www.fox-toolkit.org/download.html

thanks to whoever decides to do this...

i've used pdaXrom for about 3 days now, and i don't really feel very comfortable compiling, just yet (i have enough trouble with it in Ubuntu tongue.gif )
Chero
Click to view attachment

Something like this ?

I'm still testing, will package it later.

Chero
Chero
These should be the features :

From their website :

Xfe Proudly Features

* Very fast graphic user interface
* Commander/Explorer interface with two file manager modes : a directory tree and one panel, or two panels
* Integrated text viewer (X File View, xfv)
* Integrated image viewer (X File Image, xfi)
* Integrated RPM viewer / installer / uninstaller (X File Query, xfq)
* Status line
* File associations
* Optional trash can for file delete operations (trash can directory is ~/.xfetrash, deleted file names have the form 'filename__YYYY-MM-DD-HH:MM:SS-┬Ás')
* Auto save registry
* Right mouse click pop-up menu in tree list and file list
* Change file(s) attributes
* Mount/Unmount devices (for Linux only)
* Toolbar
* Bookmarks (up to 20)
* Color schemes (GNOME, KDE, Windows...)
* Drag and Drop in Xfe and from and to your favorite desktop
* Create / Extract archives (tar, zip, gzip, bzip2, compress formats are supported)
* Tool tips for long file names
* Progress bars or dialogs for lengthy file operations
* Thumbnails image previews
* Ability to enqueue multimedia files (open command)
Chero
test results so far :

- cut, copy, paste, delete works
- it is fast !
- thumbnails work !! (nice to see those little jpegs)
- extracting archives works
- I haven't found anything that doesn't work

I'll pack it as is.

Chero.
Chero
WARNING : these ipkgs come "as is" and include the whole lot. (includes, docs, icons, ...). I do not take any respons.... (blah, blah, blah)

I didn't optimize them. If there's enough interest, I'll consider to clean them up.

xfe requires fox.

Anyway, I like xfe.
Just test.

edit : Look further in the thread for updated ipkgs
bazmi
QUOTE(Chero @ Sep 22 2005, 05:14 PM)
WARNING : these ipkgs come "as is" and include the whole lot. (includes, docs, icons, ...). I do not take any respons....  (blah, blah, blah)

I didn't optimize them. If there's enough interest, I'll consider to clean them up.

xfe requires fox.

Anyway, I like xfe.
Just test.

super stuff. gave it a quick check. works very well on my 6000L+rc11+xfce

/bazmi.
Hagisbasheruk
Cool ....you should start a request board for PPL wanting software for there zaurus(who just dont get cross-compiling)
Any chance of a Qsstv port for zaurus sl-5500
http://users.telenet.be/on4qz/qsstv/index.html
http://users.telenet.be/on4qz/qsstv/downlo...stv-5.3c.tar.gz even a good dummies step by step walk through ie 1.do this 2.get this install like this 3.exactly like this bla bla would be really helpful
Most other stuff seems to be dated links for cross compilers dead etc
Cheers if you do start a thread like this before you know it 20,000+ apps converted by all zaurus community......YeHa and like i said in another post ill do all the Ham Radio apps once i learn properly how to do this ,mind you i still don't have a zaurus yet but Xmas is on its way and ebay will have me sourcing out a sl-5500 or sl-5600 as thats within my price range sad.gif LOL
Chero
QUOTE(bazmi @ Sep 22 2005, 03:26 PM)
super stuff. gave it a quick check. works very well on my 6000L+rc11+xfce

/bazmi.

I played with it this evening.

This really is "super stuff"
It includes a picture-viewer (xfi) with quite a lot of features.
Double-click on a jpg opens it. This also has a browser in it.

Double click on a text-file opens nedit, on html opens firefox.
I haven't tried others yet.

As already posted : I like it. I really like it. This just rocks.
And man, IT IS FAST !!

For those using it already : keep in mind that it uses a trash-folder, to be able to undelete. I symlinked mine to SD, not to run out of internal flash.
Don't forget to empty it !!

I think this could replace "mc" and "gqview" for me.
Finally found a good, fast graphical file explorer for my Z.

Chero.
jerrybme
Chero:
I agree, thanks for compiling this! Using the RC11 I found that the libstdc++ ipk is 6.0.3 and symlinking 5.0 to it doesn't work. However if you install the RC10 version of libstdc++ it will work (unfortunately they have the same file name).

It'd be great if you could repackage it with the extras removed & an xfe.desktop file so it shows up in the menu. (I made one for myself but not sure if others know how).

Cheers,
Jerry
benplaut
you are my hero biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

i'm at school, but i'm on my way to get a jumpdrive and try it out smile.gif

<edit>

xfe: error while loading shared libraries: libbz2.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: no sych file or directory

blink.gif ohmy.gif unsure.gif sad.gif
Chero
Just answering questions, this post I'm not going to tell how nice xfe is or how much I like it. No, I'm not going to tell that this is good stuff, I'm just answering.

QUOTE(jerrybme @ Sep 22 2005, 10:33 PM)
I agree, thanks for compiling this! Using the RC11 I found that the libstdc++ ipk is 6.0.3 and symlinking 5.0 to it doesn't work. However if you install the RC10 version of libstdc++ it will work (unfortunately they have the same file name).

It'd be great if you could repackage it with the extras removed & an xfe.desktop file so it shows up in the menu. (I made one for myself but not sure if others know how).

Cheers,
Jerry

I'll do it during the weekend, or sometime next week. I've noticed there are quite a lot of htmls included, as well as a bunch of screenshots. I suppose they can all be left out.
I'm still on RC10, so I didn't notice the libstdc++ problem.

QUOTE(benplaut @ Sep 23 2005, 01:53 AM)
xfe: error while loading shared libraries: libbz2.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: no sych file or directory

I'm not sure, I didn't have to change or install anything. It just worked. I have installed quite a lot of stuff on my Z, maybe that's why it didn't complain.
From the filename, I suppose this has to do with "bzip2" ? Can someone else tell for sure? Or could you try to install bzip2 ?

Chero.
Chero
Message from the creator-maintainer of xfe :

Wow! Great!
Very surprising...
I'll include your screenshot on my website...
Next release should be a bug fix release. So, stay connected!
Best regards,
RB

original message he replied to :
> Hi,
>
> I compiled xfe for use on my sharp zaurus (running pdaXrom).
> It's really great, light, fast, ... the best choice for my "laptop in my
> pocket".
>
> We have a thread about it in the forum :
> http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?show
> topic=14178
> (hope the link will work for you)
>
> Screenshot taken on my little zaurus :
>
> (that screen is only 7.5cm by 5.5cm)
>
> Thanks a lot for this great file-explorer and keep up the good work.
badog
QUOTE(Chero @ Sep 22 2005, 12:14 PM)
WARNING : these ipkgs come "as is" and include the whole lot. (includes, docs, icons, ...). I do not take any respons....  (blah, blah, blah)

xfe requires fox.

Anyway, I like xfe.
Just test.

fox may not be download entirly ? when 90% downloading stop
Chero
Looking at the numer of downloads for the fox-ipkg, it seems some people have troubles downloading it.

I stripped the fox ipkg a bit (half the original size)
(left out : includes, html-docs, screenshots)

The updates xfe-ipkg will follow later. (edit : it's here now)

Can someone let me know if these are ok, then I'll remove the older ones ?

Chero
badog
thank!
it is ok now
jerrybme
I'm having problems with xfe seeing the mount points. I started getting multiple messages about mount points not responding and now can't view my CF or SD cards. I've turned off the notification option for mount points as I was getting messages every couple of minutes. This started with yesterday's version and continues with the latest version.

Anyone else having this problem?
Chero
QUOTE(jerrybme @ Sep 23 2005, 05:03 PM)
I'm having problems with xfe seeing the mount points. I started getting multiple messages about mount points not responding and now can't view my CF or SD cards. I've turned off the notification option for mount points as I was getting messages every couple of minutes. This started with yesterday's version and continues with the latest version.

Anyone else having this problem?

I had this messages in matchbox (only once, but I hardly use matchbox), never when using xfce.

Chero.
jerrybme
QUOTE(Chero @ Sep 23 2005, 10:27 AM)
I had this messages in matchbox (only once, but I hardly use matchbox), never when using xfce.

Chero.

Interesting, I haven't installed xfce yet. Still testing RC11 stability before I start using other desktops (BTW RC11 seems very solid so far).

My simple work around was to symlink /mnt/card to /mnt/SD & /mnt/cf to /mnt/Micro-drive. Xfe seems to have no problem with symlinks to those mount points - weird, eh ph34r.gif

Cheers,
Jerry
benplaut
depends on libz or bzip2, both in the main feed

works great, thanks a million chero biggrin.gif
chiark
Sorry to be useless, but I am having troubles with RC11 and this... I'm getting the error "libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".

Any ideas on how to solve this? I saw the post above about using a previous libstdc++, but don't know how that will impact the rest of the system.
jerrybme
QUOTE(chiark @ Oct 3 2005, 10:18 AM)
Sorry to be useless, but I am having troubles with RC11 and this...  I'm getting the error "libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".

Any ideas on how to solve this?  I saw the post above about using a previous libstdc++, but don't know how that will impact the rest of the system.

It shouldn't impact your system as it only adds the libstdc++.so.5 and leaves the libstdc++.so.6 alone. The ipk in the RC11 feed may be misnamed as I think it installs libstdc++.6.

Attached is the file if you can't find an old RC10 feed.

Of course, YMMV.

Cheers,

Jerry
chiark
Thanks Jerry, given the success I've had (so far!) with compiling UAE for RC11, I'm going to give compiling XFE a bash on the Zaurus. Fingers crossed biggrin.gif
chiark
Spoke too soon sad.gif . Compilation of fox complained that libstdc++.la (I think) was not a valid archive. Ho hum. I wonder if this is why other apps are having problems - I'll raise it as a bug.
cs_jacky
Is Xfe working with RC12 without using old stdc library now?

Jacky
Chero
QUOTE(cs_jacky @ Nov 6 2005, 03:12 AM)
Is Xfe working with RC12 without using old stdc library now?

Jacky

Not yet.
MONVMENTVM
how is xfe going on with rc12 now?
Chero
QUOTE(MONVMENTVM @ Nov 14 2005, 10:36 PM)
how is xfe going on with rc12 now?

after installing the pinned libstdc... its seems to work quite good.
cs_jacky
I have compiled fox and xfe with RC11 SDK. However, I got "xfe: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" when I run xfe in my Zaurus. The libGL.so.1 is missing. Anyone know which ipk to install to fix this problem.

If this is fixed, I can upload the ipk.
pgas
The libGL.so.1 is missing. Anyone know which ipk to install to fix this problem.

mesa3d is the package that contains libGL.
cs_jacky
I recompiled fox so that it does not requires mesa3d. However, I found that xfe cannot display CJK filename. Anyone know how to fix it?

Anyway, here is the ipks. You need to install bzip2 from the feed as well.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
MONVMENTVM
ok can confirm... working!

really nice file browser... fast and awesome.
also the included image viewer and text editor is nice (much faster than scite).
ZDevil
This is real gool stuff! Remove rox at once. Many thanks to Chero and cs_jacky! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.