Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie 1000 Questions
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 General discussions
apink
I am thinking of moving from palm to linux with an sl-c1000. I have some questions:

I use my pda at work for data entry into a spreadsheet. In order for this to work smoothly I need to be able to turn the machine on and have access to the spreadsheet fairly quickly. The palm does this nicely. Is there a delay in getting the zaurus going? How long? I understand that there is a lengthy boot process. Is there a sleep mode that will allow me to save on batteries throughout the day and still have quick access to the machine? Does this depend on which OS I have running?

The pricejapan price is nice. Can anyone comment on the English conversion? Does pricejapan convert? If so, is this conversion effective enough for me to get the zaurus up and running nicely? If not, is there a good howto on the web that will allow me to get going on my own? I have some experience with linux and currently have debian running on my laptop. Does someone else have a nice inexpensive conversion?

Does anyone have a guess as to when Sharp might be releasing the sl-c1500, with built in wi-fi (or alternately a second [internal] cf-slot) and 256 megs ram? (Pure speculation on the model number and features, but we can dream can’t we?)

When the z is used as a usb hard drive, do all memory devices show up as drives on the desktop computer? (CF, SD, internal flash?) Does it make a difference if your desktop is linux? Windows? Do you need special drivers for the z, or do normal hard-drive drivers do the trick? (I’d like to be able to pop the zaurus into computers at work and have my files show up.)

On some screen shots the fonts do not appear to be smooth. Is this a persistent problem?

Lot’s of questions, but the thing is not cheap and I want to know if it will suit my needs before I plunk down the change.
omro
QUOTE(apink @ Aug 2 2005, 12:30 PM)
I use my pda at work for data entry into a spreadsheet.  In order for this to work smoothly I need to be able to turn the machine on and have access to the spreadsheet fairly quickly.  The palm does this nicely.  Is there a delay in getting the zaurus going?  How long?  I understand that there is a lengthy boot process.  Is there a sleep mode that will allow me to save on batteries throughout the day and still have quick access to the machine?  Does this depend on which OS I have running?

You boot up the Zaurus once. After that point, it's instant on and off like any other PDA.
Hancom Sheet which comes with the Zaurus is pretty fast, pretty basic, but enough for most spreadsheet needs.

The pricejapan price is nice.  Can anyone comment on the English conversion?  Does pricejapan convert?  If so, is this conversion effective enough for me to get the zaurus up and running nicely?  If not, is there a good howto on the web that will allow me to get going on my own?  I have some experience with linux and currently have debian running on my laptop.  Does someone else have a nice inexpensive conversion?

I bought my Z via shirtpocket in the UK, but trisoft in Germany also sell them and both provide good conversions.

Does anyone have a guess as to when Sharp might be releasing the sl-c1500, with built in wi-fi (or alternately a second [internal] cf-slot) and 256 megs ram?  (Pure speculation on the model number and features, but we can dream can’t we?)

no clue

When the z is used as a usb hard drive, do all memory devices show up as drives on the desktop computer?  (CF, SD, internal flash?)  Does it make a difference if your desktop is linux? Windows?  Do you need special drivers for the z, or do normal hard-drive drivers do the trick?  (I’d like to be able to pop the zaurus into computers at work and have my files show up.)

can't answer that one, I've never plugged my Z into my mac or pc yet.

On some screen shots the fonts do not appear to be smooth.  Is this a persistent problem? 

The fonts on mine are not antialiased, or if they are, they don't appear to be. This is using the Sharp stock Rom. The number of fonts is pretty low, infact if anyone knows how to add more, I would be keen to know. Antialiased fonts are not a big deal.

Lot’s of questions, but the thing is not cheap and I want to know if it will suit my needs before I plunk down the change.

Wise to ask. Sorry it took so long for someone to answer. Not sure my answers are quite what you wanted.
apink
Thanks omro. cool.gif I have never even seen a Zaurus so I don't really have an idea of how they compare to other PDA's as far as usability.

I have heard different things on these discussions about english conversions: Either PriceJapan does or does not convert. Could anyone who has purchased through PJ tell me if they do?

I plan on installing cacko or some such. Is it easy to do this on an unconverted machine or does the Z have to be converted to english first.
omro
As far as I'm aware, it's pretty easy
scheck.r
I got my Zaurus SL-C1000 from PriceJapan.
It's the cheapest place, they are extremely reliable, prompt and fast but be aware that the waranty is only available in Japan so in case you encounter a hardware problem you have to send it to Japan.

If you want 1 year waranty in your country you have to buy from Dynamism(US), Streamline(US), Trisoft(Europe), Xtops.de maybe others.
If you are in Europe, I highly recommend Trisoft as you have 1 year waranty, a decent price, the right power adapter, english converted unit, many preinstalled applications, a contact on this forum, serious guys who love the Z and willing to help you out.
If the lack of waranty doesn't bother you, you can try to buy from Conics.net, or Lolzer.com who provide their own worldwide power adapter suitable for Europe.

My Z came with a power adapter that is only useable in Japan and maybe US but for sure not in Europe, I bought a worldwide power adapter from ebay for $35.
I have heard different things on these discussions about english conversions: Either PriceJapan does or does not convert. Could anyone who has purchased through PJ tell me if they do?

The Z was not converted to english but it's a piece of cake to do it by restoring a NAND backup downloadable from Trisoft website along with a well written User Manual in english. Basically, conversion is not an issue.
I plan on installing cacko or some such. Is it easy to do this on an unconverted machine or does the Z have to be converted to english first.

You will soon want to flash your Z, many languages are supported for each distribution(Cacko(available soon), PdaXrom, OzOpie, OzGPE). As you are interested in flashing with Cacko ROM, the conversion will be automatically done during the flashing process.
Is there a sleep mode that will allow me to save on batteries throughout the day and still have quick access to the machine? Does this depend on which OS I have running?

Each distribution has a sleeping mode
I have some experience with linux and currently have debian running on my laptop. Does someone else have a nice inexpensive conversion?

If so you will have no problem using your Z.
On some screen shots the fonts do not appear to be smooth. Is this a persistent problem?

There are extra fonts available in the cacko feed.

To sum up I think the best for you is to check Meanie's website which contains every answers for those using SharpROM.
bam
hey look its a n00b, wait, I am a n00b! Welcome to the terror that is Zaurus tongue.gif
TRIsoft
QUOTE(scheck.r @ Aug 7 2005, 09:14 PM)
...If you are in Europe, I highly recommend Trisoft as you have 1 year waranty, a decent price, the right power adapter, english converted unit, many preinstalled applications, a contact on this forum, serious guys who love the Z and willing to help you out.

Scheck.r,

thanks for the recommendation but:
Warranty in Europe is 24 months (for the EU region).
We really need to translate the warranty information
page on our website rolleyes.gif

///TRIsoft

Marc Stephan
apink
Thanks scheck.r for the info and the link. Meanie's site is great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.