Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problems With Wifi Signal Quality!
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Security and Networking
daniel3000
Hello all,

maybe someone knows this kind of problem and can give advise:

For some days now I have problems connecting my Z to the home WLAN.
The signal quality reported by the network settings tool under "Current" changes between 0 and 100% frequently, although the Z is placed directly besides the WLAN Access Point. Also iwconfig | grep Qual reports the same changing quality.
I wrote a script which calls iwconfig each second and log the quality info, see attachment for a typical profile including signal strenght and noise strength.

No new RF devices near the AP or Z, other wireless clients work well in the same WLAN, so AP works nicely. I have tried different channels (1, 6, 11), I have placed the Z directly besides the AP and on different places...
I have also tried to connect to another WLAN with similar results.

What I have not done, because I don't have the hardware to do so, is trying the CD WLAN card in another device or trying another CF WLAN card in the Z.

So I can be quite sure the problem is the the Zaurus-D-Link-Card unit. But I'm not sure if it is the Z or the card. I suspect it is a hardware failure in the card, but maybe someone of you knows such problems can be caused by software?

I'd likle to avoid the long process of returning the card for repair and getting it back after 8 weeks having the same problem afterwards.

Thanks a lot!

daniel
bam
sorry off topic, but can you post your script, we can compare my unit, I have the same wifi card, with yours and see whats going on. I dont start dropping out intol about 50 yards away, and my router is like 2 feet off the ground. so there is a couple of walls it has to go thru.
daniel3000
QUOTE(bam @ Aug 8 2005, 10:20 PM)
sorry off topic, but can you post your script, we can compare my unit, I have the same wifi card, with yours and see whats going on. I dont start dropping out intol about 50 yards away, and my router is like 2 feet off the ground. so there is a couple of walls it has to go thru.

The script is simple:

-----------snip-----------
#!/bin/bash
while [ 1 ]; do
iwconfig wlan0 | grep Qual | tee -a /hdd3/Documents/wlan_log
sleep 1
done
-----------snip-----------

On the console there are also some warnings each second, but they don't go into the log file (only to stderr). Don't know how to eliminate them on the console.

daniel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.