Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Konqueror From Kde 3.4 Java Vm
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
adf
Since Konqueror (afaik) uses the on board jvm, rather than a specific browser plugin (like moz/firefox) to handle java might it not be possible using jamvm or blackdown to run java applets in konqueror as a web browser?

I tried pointing konq at /usr/java/bin/jamvm. Nothing so far (retsrted konqueror too).
I guess I can try blackdown, but before I start just cramming stuff onto my z I though I'd ask if anyone has any useful info or suggestions.

(and whether anyone has had succes using gplflash with konqueror?)
adf
using this site
http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

no vm yeilds a 'sorry you can't view applets' sort of message.
jamvm yeilds a gray box.

surely this means something?

is there so little inerest in javaapplets in pdax? or can everyone else run these applets already?
I'll try blackdown.
DaMightyWhightyMan
QUOTE(adf @ Aug 23 2005, 04:20 AM)
using this site
http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

no vm yeilds a 'sorry you can't view applets' sort of message.
jamvm yeilds a gray box.

surely this means something?

is there so little inerest in javaapplets in pdax?  or can everyone else run these applets already?
I'll try blackdown.

I would love to be able to run java applets !!
andrewwoods
QUOTE(DaMightyWhightyMan @ Aug 23 2005, 07:33 AM)
I would love to be able to run java applets !!

Yes - me too. So far everyone has said 'too hard' or '860 not up to it'.
gromituk
Seems odd that they say that, considering the 860 has Java advertised all over it!
adf
java apps seem ok on the z.... and sharprom pr depended on java.
running java applets from a web page is apparently different. The opportunity I see here
is that unlike firefox or Moz, konqueror only needs a jvm and NOT a browser plugin to do this. Since there are no java browser plugins for the z, but there are jvms I thought that maybe sudden appearance of kde for pdaxrom with a new full-blown konqueror would allow, a 'complete' browsing experience with java and flash..... sadly I knnow very little about any of this I can't yet put it together. maybe if a bunch of us flail away at it? Hopefully I'm not starting a snipe hunt here...
cortez
Maybe the GCJ Java Plugin Project can be used to achieve this. It is a is a plug-in for Mozilla and other web browsers to execute Java applets.

It could work, at least if it is possible to make it work without GCJ, that is. I haven't been able to compile a working GCJ JVM, but JamVM or SableVM work great, together with GNU Classpath.

The configure script has the following option:
CODE
--with-java  the java vm to use for non-native viewer (default:gij)

I will give it a try later, or better, can anyone of you give it a try? tongue.gif
adf
any luck?

I've been messing around with konqueror.. blackdown didn't help. I did however find a thread discussing blackdown probs on rc 10.

Interestingly, I did find that Konq will display maps.google.com and firefox won't.

makes me think there might be some hope in poking at konqueror, though I don't know how many people install kde, or would even for (very hypothetically) a more functional browser.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.