Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitachi Microdrive And Sl-6000
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
jcabrer
I just got one of these Hitachi 4Gb microdrives in the hopes that I would be able to set up a decent swap area for compiling large programs, but so far, all the SL-6000 reports is Anonymous Memory. The drive does not spin up, nor can I fdisk/mke2fs/mount /dev/hda.

Is there anything missing? I know there is an ipk with hdparm on it, and my next step is to install that to see what I can get out of the device, but I think my problem is more basic than that.
jcabrer
I hate replying to my own post but I found the other posts regarding this kind of problem with certain Hitachi microdrives. We can add 47C to the list of incompatible drives. It was too cheap to be true! $114 + Shipping and it will only work in certain MP3 players (according to the website where I bought it).

I wonder if there is a way to update the firmware available from Hitachi?

Anyone want to try and persuade Hitachi for this?
orac
If you can, try the drive in other devices, like pcmcia adapter on a laptop or something, maybe in a digital camera. If it doesn't spin, there's something seriously wrong with the drive. Give those guys a call. I had one of these drives last November that worked for over a week while storing some Oggs for a road trip. It worked ok, but stopped working as soon as I got back. It was hosed. I called up Hitachi and they RMA'd it for me. The one I got back from them works like a champ. There is something like 2 year warranty on these things, so don't toss it out. The only thing I had trouble with was cutting up foam for an "approved shipping container". Weird.

QUOTE(jcabrer @ Sep 1 2005, 09:24 AM)
I hate replying to my own post but I found the other posts regarding this kind of problem with certain Hitachi microdrives.  We can add 47C to the list of incompatible drives.  It was too cheap to be true!  $114 + Shipping and it will only work in certain MP3 players (according to the website where I bought it).

I wonder if there is a way to update the firmware available from Hitachi?

Anyone want to try and persuade Hitachi for this?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2015 Invision Power Services, Inc.