Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ssh Host Key Verification Failed
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Angstrom & OpenZaurus
grog
Hi all. When trying to ssh out as a 'normal' user (one I created), I get the error 'Host key verification failed', but it works fine if I do it as root. I tried regening the Z's host keys, but made no difference. Is there a way to get this to work? thks
Storm
QUOTE(grog @ Sep 14 2005, 07:10 AM)
Hi all. When trying to ssh out as a 'normal' user (one I created), I get the error 'Host key verification failed', but it works fine if I do it as root. I tried regening the Z's host keys, but made no difference. Is there a way to get this to work? thks

If you are sshing out from the Zaurus and its complaining about the host key failing, then the host key on the remote box doesn't match the one on record in your (Zaurus) user's .ssh/known_hosts. This mechanism is to protect against man-in-the-middle (mitm) attacks.

If you are sure all is kosher with the ssh host key (e.g. the box was rebuilt or a new ssh key was regenned since the last time you sshed in from your user account), then you can edit the user's .ssh/known_hosts and delete the entry for that machine, then it should all be good. ssh will ask you the next time you log in from that account if you really want to, but after that, you should be able to go straight in.

--Storm
grog
QUOTE(Storm @ Sep 14 2005, 09:58 PM)
If you are sshing out from the Zaurus and its complaining about the host key failing, then the host key on the remote box doesn't match the one on record in your (Zaurus) user's .ssh/known_hosts. This mechanism is to protect against man-in-the-middle (mitm) attacks.

Fixed. It wasn't that the remote box wasn't in my known_hosts, it was that I didn't have a known_hosts file at all! As soon as I created an empty one then ssh came up with the prompt to confirm the identity of the host & then added the id to the file. Now's alls well in Z town.

Thanks for the help Storm. havefun!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.