Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pdaxrom: The Best Of Both Worlds?
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
ZDevil
Hi,

After trying out X RC11 for a week, I finally feel like settling down with X and is about to part the good old Sharp ROM (used for more than 1.5 years) on my C1000. smile.gif

My migration from Sharp ROM to X is almost complete:

(Sharp ROM app => X app)
PIM: Qualendar => fltdj (super-cool app, a must try!)
Office: Hancom Office, Textmaker => Abiword, gnumeric
Text-editor: ZEditor, Tree!TextQT => SciTE, gpe-edit
Planner: StageOne => tuxcards (bravo!)
Note-taking: FreeNoteQT => FreeNoteQT (Yes! Found it here: http://wing.nagaokauniv.ac.jp/wiki/index.php?files )
Webbrowser: Netfront, Opera => Firefox, Dillo
Ebooks: Justreader, Opie-reader, QPDF, Netftont => Justreader, Opie-reader (in unstable feed), X PDF, Dillo
Simple database: portabase => portabase (in unstable feed)
Multimedia: Music player, mplayer + Kino2 => XMMS, mplayer, VLC
File manager: Tree!ExplorerQT => Rox filer, Xfe
UPDATE:
Dictionary: zbedic => stardict (even better dictionary selections)

Yet to resolve/test:
Email: Qtmail => sylpheed (thanks, adf)
Gaming: SNES9x => stable X version?

With a smooth migration pdaXrom gives me the best of both worlds -- full PDA functionalities + versatile laptop-like capabilities. cool.gif

I'm surprised to find that X runs the apps faster than in Sharp ROM.

You've done a very nice job, Laze & sashz & the rest of the pdaXrom dev team! Please keep it up! biggrin.gif

Just curious to know the migration experience of other users here.
adf
sylpheed is a really nice, snappy mail client. I think you'll like it.
ZDevil
QUOTE(adf @ Sep 23 2005, 08:18 PM)

Thanks! By the way what do you think is the best way to migrate the email data from Qtmail to sylpheed or other X email clients?
smile.gif
adf
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Sep 24 2005, 04:21 AM)
QUOTE(adf @ Sep 23 2005, 08:18 PM)

Thanks! By the way what do you think is the best way to migrate the email data from Qtmail to sylpheed or other X email clients?
smile.gif

migration isn't my strong suit. I tend to just re-enter data and hang on to my config files. There might be some how-to stuff up... the weak link is going to be qtmail, imho. Sylpheed has been around as a desktop mail client for a while and should be pretty well documented
scheck.r
POST EDITED

ZDevil,

Many, many thanks for providing a link to FreeNoteQT, it was one of my favorite app on SharpRom.

May I ask you how do you get mplayer running ?
and VLC ?
I have dependencies problems but don't know how to solve them

Thanks
ViV
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Sep 24 2005, 07:10 AM)
Ebooks

FBreader (avalaible in qt/embedded, qt and gtk versions):
http://only.mawhrin.net/~geometer/zaurus/fbreader/
scheck.r
Wow,

I just tried Xpaint from http://wing.nagaokauniv.ac.jp/wiki/index.php?files
It's wonderful, powerful, fast. A MUST

You need to install libtiff from rc11 feed

FreeNoteQT works very well also

Many thanks to ZDevil for the finding

SL-C1000 user
scheck.r
Yet to resolve/test:
Email: Qtmail => sylpheed (thanks, adf)

You can also try OM-PI from the full KDE-PIM suite available for rc11 at
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...st=240&p=97006&

Enjoy.
ZDevil
QUOTE(scheck.r @ Sep 24 2005, 06:10 AM)
POST EDITED

ZDevil,

Many, many thanks for providing a link to FreeNoteQT, it was one of my favorite app on SharpRom.
May I ask you how do you get mplayer running ?
and VLC ?
I have dependencies problems but don't know how to solve them
Thanks

You're welcome. FreeNoteQT was once a stopper for me to switch to X as well. Now it runs even faster and smoother on X. smile.gif
To be honest I don't have time yet to test mplayer and VLC. I just installed them without glitches and no trobule with dependencies so far. Well, I'm not so used to watching movies on that tiny screen (but doing that instead on my iBook 12" wink.gif ).

I tried to run VLC once. Nothing happened when launched with the icon. Then I ran it in the terminal and a whole dazzling bunch of options pour out to the screen, and no error message. Yet to find some time to study the documentation later.

Thanks scheck.r for pointing out the link to the latest kdepim package. Hopefully it can live up to my expectations.

Also thanks Viv's suggestion of FBreader. But it seems Opie-reader fares better in terms of encoding handling and font choices. smile.gif

Now my humble plan is to turn my C1000 with X into an extension of my iBook 12" (yet another humble home workstation), by running (roughly) the same/equivalent set of unix/linux applications on both.
sashz
for multimedia on C1000/3100- please wait new rc , wich will soon smile.gif there will updated stuff for mplayer/vlc/sdl with native overlay support and iwmmxt optimization.
badog
really?
scheck.r
QUOTE(sashz @ Sep 26 2005, 01:54 PM)
for multimedia on C1000/3100- please wait new rc , wich will soon smile.gif there will updated stuff for mplayer/vlc/sdl with native overlay support and iwmmxt optimization.

I am eager to test that.

Talking about packages, we have lots of packages working very well on rc11 but they are neither in the feed neither in the unstable feed. Like KDE-PIM 2.2.3 , FreeNoteQT, Xpaint, FBreader
I know it's not your job but if you tell me how to upload them in the unstable feed I will do it.

Many thanks. It's a pleasure to donate to the PdaXrom team, each RC just amazes me.
erikqwerty
QUOTE(scheck.r @ Sep 25 2005, 05:32 PM)
Wow,

I just tried Xpaint from http://wing.nagaokauniv.ac.jp/wiki/index.php?files
It's wonderful, powerful, fast. A MUST

You need to install libtiff from rc11 feed

FreeNoteQT works very well also

Many thanks to ZDevil for the finding

SL-C1000 user

Neat! Anyone know how to make a desktop icon for matchbox/xfce? You have to start it from the terminal..
MONVMENTVM
where to get stardict?
Chero
QUOTE(erikqwerty @ Sep 27 2005, 04:00 AM)
Neat! Anyone know how to make a desktop icon for matchbox/xfce? You have to start it from the terminal..

Copy one of the .desktop files in /usr/local/share/applications (you can name it anything you like, ending with .desktop)
Edit the file, change the fields you want to (it's quite obvious what is what)
Save the file.

Now the apps should show up in the matchbox menu and the xfce screen-menu

If you use the xfce-start-menu : you can edit it when changing the properties (right click the icon in the panel)

Chero.
MONVMENTVM
you can also use rox for desktop.

just call aterm or xterm etc. and type the following:

"rox -pinboard=(type here a name you want... i.e. MYPINBOARD)"

then have a look for the processes (use "ps" in aterm or xterm). you should find then a process called matchbox-desktop (or was it mb-desktop?). look what pid number it has and then type in console: "kill PID" where PID is the PID number of the matchbox desktop... and then the rox desktop should appear with a blank desktop and a folder "home". if you open home or the rox filer you can put any icon you want on the desktop.

EDIT:
does someone know where to find stardict?
scheck.r
Stardict 2.4.4 is in the unstable feed, I have it running on rc11, not a lot of testing though.

So go to unstable feed
sleepy
QUOTE(sashz @ Sep 26 2005, 03:54 AM)

Fantastic! Of course, now I don't know if I should flash to rc11 or wait tongue.gif
Laze
Flash god dammit! Flash! :-)

I can confirm that Sashz latest optimizations kick a*** - even on my C760 it awesome!
willgan
wow.... i can't wait for the new RC...
Laze
Ohhh can't stop drooling - Sash got Quake 2 running very very fluid in 320x240 with 11-12 fps with sound and network running - played Quake 2 this morning on network. It runs (feels) faster than Quake 1 on my PSP :-)

It even runs in 640x480 - not as smooth but still runs and very impressive to show people - it runs 4.8 fps in 640x480 with no sound - this is with early optimizations from Sashz - he is currently looking into more tweaks...

At the same time he is working on making the same tweaks for SDL, mesaGL, VLC, mplayer etc.
omro
Laze and/or Sashz

Might be flogging a dead horse here, but are there any plans to try and get OpenOffice compiled to run with RC11? I know others have been trying, most noteably Chero, but there are still problems getting it to install/run on pdaXrom as a result of the debian-arm port being built to run with glibc 2.3.x rather than 2.2.x. Is there a chance that this is something that will be looked at?
albertr
What's the purpose to release a new flash image if the latest one was just released a couple of weeks ago? You are not making any major library changes which would require to recompile alot of executables, are you?

If it's just a matter of upgrading SDL libs and a few dependant applications, why not release it as an unpgrade in form of ipk's? That way it would make it alot easier for people who just upgraded to rc11... Just my $.02.

And there's source code of rc11 build? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see it was released along the binaries?
-albertr
adf
please...on the next update....
will sdl Xrandrand mplayer scale on the 6000?

the new mplayer is nice... no fbdev ugliness.... but since I can't seem to go to qvga mode (is it just me...did I miss something? if so please explain) movies and games run in 1/4 of my screen.
Laze
Openoffice is a big piece of work and has many problems because of java related stuff etc.

Depending on changes there will also be updated ipks - but the RCs are what they are and often the next once contains updates for different things - we often just a complete roll of all thing.

We are looking into the sl-6000
Chero
QUOTE(Laze @ Sep 30 2005, 09:45 AM)
Openoffice is a big piece of work and has many problems because of java related stuff etc.

correct, but if we'd have a version of glibc >=2.3.2 (libc6) then we'd be able to use the available arm-port (see other thread). It really is the only missing link.
There is a version of glibc 2.3.2 available through this thread, but it has an incomplete libpthread.

Is it a big task for sashz to get glibc 2.3.2 working ? (Just for those who want to experiment ?) Please ?

Chero.
ScottYelich
laze, I'm lost... flash flash flash what? rc11? or wait for new rc12?
how many rcs before an r? is this still 1.1.0 rc? or are we at 1.2?

is there a feed? where do we go to see the official latest release, sdk,
livecd, etc?

I think I have a broken rc10 on my 760 ... should I go rc11? or is
there an rc12 or an r coming? new website? bueler? bueler?

Scott
Laze
Flash to RC11 thats the latest and stable - look at the pinned thread and i think zumi also updated the pdaxrom.org site - the new website will have the new features like the developer feed where people can upload ipks etc. - so far the CMS system is up and running kinda :-)
omro
QUOTE(Chero @ Sep 30 2005, 01:21 AM)
QUOTE(Laze @ Sep 30 2005, 09:45 AM)

correct, but if we'd have a version of glibc >=2.3.2 (libc6) then we'd be able to use the available arm-port (see other thread). It really is the only missing link.
There is a version of glibc 2.3.2 available through this thread, but it has an incomplete libpthread.

Is it a big task for sashz to get glibc 2.3.2 working ? (Just for those who want to experiment ?) Please ?

Chero.

Pretty Please. It can't possibly be that big a piece of work surely, as it works fine with pocket workstation/debian on X/QT.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.