Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost Syncronization
OESF Forums > General Forums > Desktop Operating Systems Issues > Windows Issues
harmonp
For some unknown reason my Zaurus 5500 has stopped responding when I try to synchronize it to my Outlook address and calendar files. The connection is made and the connection screen comes up on the Zaurus, but it won’t sync or transfer files. I’m running the new ROM v31u. Here’s what I’ve tried so far to fix the problem:

Tried every suggested fix in MyZaurus website’s FAQs.
Tried every suggested fix in the Unofficial FAQs of the Zaurus Users Group.
Uninstalled and reinstalled the Zaurus PC Software.
Desktop recognized Zaurus and reinstalled USB and Network software.
Set the communication method to USB – TCP/IP in both Zaurus and Zaurus Manager.
Reset the IP address on both the Zaurus and in Zaurus Manager (192.168.129.2). There is no conflict on this IP address, the Zaurus is recognized by my desktop computer (running XP Home) and I’m able to ping the Zaurus IP address successfully.
Turning off ZoneAlarm doesn’t make any difference.
Rebooted the Zaurus – no help.
Did a hard full system reboot – no help.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.
BlackCardinal
I realize you said you've already reinstalled the PC software, but I have this same problem occur periodically between my Windows machine at work and my 5500. My procedure for getting it to work again is:

1. Uninstall the PC software
2. Install the PC software
3. Backup the DTM database files on my Z (the files in /home/zaurus/Applications/dtm/*).
3. Delete the DTM database files on my Z.
4. Configure sync for download from PC to Z only.
5. Sync to get data from Outlook back to the Z.
6. Configure sync back to synchronize between PC and Z.

Once I figured this out, it has always worked for me. I'm currently using Sharp ROM 3.10 and Outlook 2003 on WinXP SP2.
harmonp
Thanks for the information. I tried your suggestions (several times), but to no avail. I think I have tried everything possible. Even the Sharp upper-level technician gave up. I have now spent untold hours trying to get the sync back, so I guess I'll never find a solution. I appreciate your help. sad.gif
BlackCardinal
Just a thought, but are you sure you are using the correct version of Zaurus Manager and IntelliSync? When I upgraded my Z's ROM to 3.10 from the older 2.something, I also ahd to upgrade software. My Zaurus manager says it's version 3.1 and IntelliSync is version 3.2E.
harmonp
QUOTE(BlackCardinal @ Oct 18 2005, 04:49 PM)
Just a thought, but are you sure you are using the correct version of Zaurus Manager and IntelliSync?  When I upgraded my Z's ROM to 3.10 from the older 2.something, I also ahd to upgrade software.  My Zaurus manager says it's version 3.1 and IntelliSync is version 3.2E.
*


I uninstalled all the Zaurus software on my PC and reinstalled from the 3.1 update files I downloaded from the Zaurus website, so I'm assuming they are the appropriate latest versions. I also reflashed the Zaurus 3.1 rom before I installed on the PC.

I appreciate your follow up.
harmonp
I'm a happy camper now. I found the reason that my Zaurus 5500 would no longer sync with Outlook. Norton Anti-Virus added Internet Worm Protection and that stopped the syncronization in its tracks, even though the Zaurus was communicating just fine with my desktop. When I turned off Internet Worm Protection, I was able to sync as before with no problems. Now, I just disable Internet Worm Protection for the time I need to sync and I'm back in business. Before I found the solution, I was 10 minutes away from either giving my Zaurus away or putting it on ebay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.