Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3100 Won't Boot -- Read-only File System
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 General discussions
icruise
I don't think I did anything unusual to it, but my 3100 now won't boot. I get a lot of messages like "tar: dev/rmidi1: Cannot mknod: Read-only file system" and the booting process stalls at "mkdir: Cannot create directory `/dev/shm/run/usb`: No such file or directory". If I press Ctrl+C the booting process continues, but it just gives me more errors and then automatically reboots.

I have a recent backup, but in order to use it I have to format the device, which erases the contents of the microdrive. I don't keep anything irreplaceable on there, but still it's at least a couple of hours of work to copy everything back that I had on there. Is there any other alternative to a format? And why did this happen in the first place?
bam
just do a system restore, thats all smile.gif as for data on your hdd, if you goto diagnostics and use the backup hdd utility then use a large cf card(its ok if its not 4gb itll just copy whatever the capacity of the card is)
icruise
Yeah, I already did a restore, but it annoyed me that I had to spend the time to recopy all of my stuff and that I can't use the microdrive to store anything non-replaceable. Oh well.

But why did this happen? Any ideas?
bam
no idea, but if you set up samba you can copy your hdd to the laptop, at least thats what I do now
icruise
QUOTE(bam @ Oct 1 2005, 09:07 PM)
no idea, but if you set up samba you can copy your hdd to the laptop, at least thats what I do now

I've had to do a factory restore several times for different reasons since getting my zaurus, so I've just decided not to put anything on the microdrive that isn't replaceable. All of my documents and so forth go on my SD card. I keep a set of files on my computer that has everything that I need on my microdrive (dictionary files, mostly), so it's really not necessary to have a backup. Still, I find the need to erase the HDD when doing a factory restore very annoying.

Thanks for the reply, though.
bam
not sure why they erase hdd3, really isnt needed for a factory restore. Maybe someone can mod the maint. program and whatnot?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.