Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black/dark Theme For Sharp Rom?
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Themes, Icons, and Backgrounds
Pages: 1, 2
Merardon
Are any black/dark coloured themes available? Are themes for any other GUI compatible with it? I wish it'd let me input my own colours, or use Gnome themes or something. Thanks in advance.
bam
the only themes out are from Cresho's site zaurusthemes.org and mine [in my sig] which are just a modification of Cresho's themes. i am working on two themes at the moment. This is only the titlebar button scrollbars/scrollbar buttons, mini buttons etc. you can install those after getting a nice iconset from cresho's site, unless he has the ones he's been working on up...you can also edit the colors if you want to darken it up a bit, I went with blue, but that may change soon.
Merardon
Hmm....getting some ideas...

How hard is it to make a theme?

LOVE these icons...a window border like this maybe..

Anybody know any icons that would fit in nicely with that set?

If anybody's interested, say so and give me some recommendations.
bam
hey I really like those icons, maybe use it in my gnome theme. Poke around for titlebars(pngs, jpgs whatever), always looking for ideas, but the icons are way cool.
bam
consider me working on a theme to incorporate these icons, or perhaps cresho would like to do that and I will think of something for the buttons(theme part)
bam
find more examples of this kreski icon theme, specifically buttons, other devices, scrollbars etc....
bam
btw, Cresho, did you ever happen to find the dang tabs location? If not I will start looking into it, It's really the last thing to go.
Merardon
Original icons

Those are the original icons. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, that's it.

If you picture a default horizontal background something like this, and a vertical background like this, along with the icons, and a black/dark grey/darkish brown? colour scheme, and you should see where I'm going. Those are the wallpapers I usually use, actually. If someone else wants to make this type of theme, then I'd be quite happy, but I'm willing to work on it myself.

More theme ideas.
Cresho
hey bam...if you can make the color themes and title bars ill make the ipk,s and post them on the site. i been rather busy. im working an a sl6000 theme and yours being ported from the archive file to ipk.
bam
sure, ill do the decorations directory, tats the buttons titlebar, etc....and ... actually we need to find a dev to make an application to select the colors, because everyone tweaks those.
bam
havent forgotton, just no time right now, will start something very....dark next weekend smile.gif
Cresho
I SEEN something like a full set of icons that are totally like dark like and nice.

ill start the theme after noiar is done.
bam
then I will do the decorations and you do the icons?
Cresho
yeah
Merardon
Thanks, both of you! Good luck! Take your time, I look forward to seeing the finished product. If I knew how to help out, I would.
bam
contacted the creator of Kreski Lines, asked if would be interested in doing a zaurus theme on commission, awaiting his reply.
Merardon
I'm still here, and interested. I'm willing to help pay for the commission, 50/50. smile.gif
Cresho
I started work on it today, i have an ear infection so all im doing is sitting on my butt because its too hard to lay down. Might as well work on it right? biggrin.gif expect the final product due today. ill post pictures

just for your information.

1. I will use the original icons
2. dark theme will be implimented but mostly dark brown or grey to compliment icons(i will make 2 types.)
3. find me a few backgrounds i can use but i have 2 in mind already. That way, i can put them up with zaurusthemes as well.
4. will design a new title bar with probably 4 different variations including the shiny balls you posted as well.
Jon_J
I don't mean to interrupt, but would this theme work in Cacko 1.23?

I've tried other themes in Cacko, but some things seem to get messed up, since Cacko has different ways of implementing themes than Sharp ROM does.
Merardon
Heh..thanks! Although I was attempting to come up with inspiration..I tried to make it myself, but quickly discovered that I'm no artist. Please, make it however you feel like, or not at all if it's a bother. I'm sure it'll look great. It seems the backgrounds I posted have disappeared...perhaps this artist can provide you with a suitable background image? I quite like his work.

Many thanks.
Cresho
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Sep 12 2006, 06:27 AM)
I don't mean to interrupt, but would this theme work in Cacko 1.23?

I've tried other themes in Cacko, but some things seem to get messed up, since Cacko has different ways of implementing themes than Sharp ROM does.

you mean to say that the cacko 1.23 themes a slapt and put in zaurusthemes do not work?
Jon_J
QUOTE(Cresho @ Sep 12 2006, 11:24 AM)
you mean to say that the cacko 1.23 themes a slapt and put in zaurusthemes do not work?

No. What I meant was when I first got my Z, I downloaded the Sharp rom themes and used them by mistake in Cacko.
When I first got my Z, a lot of things were confusing to me, and I made mistakes confusing Sharp rom and Cacko interchangeably. unsure.gif
Cresho
ohh,....that would mean me flashing cacko and do it from that perspective. Its alot of work, im dealing with over 1475 files.

Ill see what i can do.
Jon_J
When I posted that post above, I had forgotten how much different Cacko is from Sharp ROM.
I'm happy with the slightly moded theme I have in Cacko.
That looks like too much work, don't bother with it now.
Other people with Sharp ROM asked first anyway smile.gif
Cresho
hey...im giving the mediaplayer a face lift as well as the photostorage application.

I need some ideas. probably something from winamp.
miskinis
QUOTE(Cresho @ Sep 12 2006, 01:28 PM)
[...] I need some ideas. [...]

Well, I always get inspired by some of the Enlightment Window Manager
Themes. Check out Ben's page at http://www.cuddletech.com/e17 to see some
"neat" screenshots. The stuff on that page is historical, and the ray traced
planet theme I created might be a guide of what not to do smile.gif or embolden you to
experiment with some very original colors, etc. smile.gif Unfortunately the conversion from
PNG to JPEG removed the detail necessary to "justify" those colors. smile.gif

Keep in mind, that at the time I was in the middle of trying to get a "sun" to look
near-realistic, and I was toying with different color planet surfaces. The color
of the surface is not indicative of my tastes! I think I coded the surface color as
white, but it picked up that unrealistic hue from the "sun"... smile.gif

EDIT: I removed my "ugly" inline desktop screenshot screenshot, it was
cluttering this thread in many ways.
( http://www.cuddletech.com/e17/shots/pink_craters.jpg )
Cresho
here is a small update. Right now, im having difficulty fixing the brightness to the way it's suppose to look originally. Zaurus has a bad way of not allowing users adjusting brightness or contrast. It getting there. I just need a few more tweeks and i will have the ipk icon installer available. when im done, ill figure out what to do with the rest of the application icons. Maybee ill leave them alone but not sure. I just want it to come out punching off the line.

here is a quick pick...mind you I am not using the background cuz its the one I currently use on my z.

Also, I am working on the taskbar. I am going to add metalic chains....and those black pearl buttons will have silvery - and + added to them but will look chrome with a slight shade to make it look for real. the taskbar and text will also get a face lift.

so there will be 3 ipk's to install
1. icons
2. taskbar
3. colortheme.

ill probably make 2 (taskbar and colortheme combined)
miskinis
Wow... Very nice... I'm definitely going to use some of those icons (when posted).
If you created those icons from scratch, you deserve a round of applause in my mind!

For some reason, it reminds me of the look and feel of the original Myst game...

EDIT: OK, I just found out about the "Kreski -Lines" theme, by reading more posts...
Great stuff...
Cresho
QUOTE(miskinis @ Sep 12 2006, 12:23 PM)
If you created those icons from scratch, you deserve a round of applause in my mind!

I wish I did. Some I just edited from originals. Those are not definite but something to give me an idea where its going.
Cresho
QUOTE(bam @ Aug 21 2006, 07:06 PM)
contacted the creator of Kreski Lines, asked if would be interested in doing a zaurus theme on commission, awaiting his reply.

no..I wouldnt bother. its free. biggrin.gif besides i hate to charge for someone else's work.
Cresho
here is an update. now im working on the borders, taskbar, and title bar.

Need some opinions Im still tweaking the icons so the colors will stick out more. On the zaurus, it looks plain white but i found a good combination that will do the trick.
]

Its funny though, I had a background I designed a while back just like this one. But the guy does something to it i cant. So im sticking with this background since it reminds me of the steel metalic theme i did for the zaurus sl5500 that i never released.
bluedevils
That's very impressive looking.
BarryW
Dude, that's freaking cool looking!
baallrog
more screenshot !!!!

but it looks great !!

perhaps it's too dark to read the name of the icon ...

do you create your icon yourself ?
xamindar
Cresho, you do amazing work. It looks good!
Cresho
The IPK is done. it is finalized with background and startup screen along with a new "flash" when pressing the icon down.

Now I wont release it until i have the taskbar done along with the Dark Materia color scheme.
miskinis
... Now I wont release it until i have the taskbar done along with the Dark Materia color scheme. ...

You should give a rough timeframe estimate, so folks can get off the edges of their
chairs. smile.gif I suspect it will be the most popular theme used on the Sharp ROM. smile.gif
BarryW
QUOTE(miskinis @ Sep 13 2006, 05:56 PM)
... Now I wont release it until i have the taskbar done along with the Dark Materia color scheme. ...

You should give a rough timeframe estimate, so folks can get off the edges of their
chairs.
smile.gif I suspect it will be the most popular theme used on the Sharp ROM. smile.gif

Yea, my butt is starting to go numb!
miskinis
I realized why that theme remided me of the original Myst game. There were pages
you had to collect that look extremely similar to that page with the folded corner.
One of the levels, the Mechanical Age, had a building with geared turnstiles that
look very similar to the gears icon. The arrow icon on the Todo application looks
like the cursor did, when you wanted to turn around (reverse your direction). The
color scheme, hand drawn entities, and the attention to the smallest detail also
lends to creation of a pleasing user experience. And I just noticed that that mask
icon on the task bar, is similar to a tribal mask that was on the wall of one of the
rooms. I'm sure I could go on, but again I this work is really great...
Cresho
the ipk is done. Working on the color scheme is a problem that i am now expiriencing. It seems as if I change the color scheme, the tick or untick buttons are not visible. I just need to find the problem and fix it.
baallrog
More screenshot please !!!!

Hum and where can i find help to how manage theme ??
Cresho
the color scheme is getting on my nerves. It seems that if I change a color scheme to lets say dark, the text goes white on the zaurus. If the color scheme is light, then every text is dark. the problem is when you put a checkmark on something, it will not show a checkmark. mad.gif
baallrog
if i understand right, if the color scheme is dark the text is white or if the color scheme is light, the text is black.

Is there a way to apply a color to the text ?

I found that ZStyle can change the color of the text
Cresho
Okay! I put up 2 files-

1. the icon theme
2. color scheme addons
3. Title bar chain, Metallic liquid, solar sun, by sunday.

direct links
http://www.zaurusthemes.org/content/zaurus...xxx_1.0_arm.zip
http://www.zaurusthemes.org/content/cacko1...xxx_1.0_arm.zip
let me know how it goes.
Merardon
QUOTE(Cresho @ Sep 14 2006, 12:19 PM)
Okay!  I put up 2 files-

1. the icon theme
2. color scheme addons
3. Title bar chain, Metallic liquid, solar sun, by sunday.

direct links
http://www.zaurusthemes.org/content/dark-scheme-v1.zip
http://www.zaurusthemes.org/content/zaurus...xxx_1.0_arm.zip

let me know how it goes.

Happy to report that they work wonderfully in Cacko and look beautiful. Thanks!
Cresho
they work on cacko>? .....you must of done it the hard way.
Merardon
Nope, I installed it normally from an SD card, with no special tricks. Not all of the icons were automagically changed for me, but that was expected and I just used icons from xtra. Everything works quite well, and my only complaint would be that the Connect/Disconnect in the Qtopia ("Start") menu are still the old style, and stand out. The card manager icon was changed to a CF card - I forget what it was before, but I use the CF slot for wireless, and only have an SD card. Not really even an annoyance, just interesting.

Two of the icons in xtra, xtra/gnome-mime-application-vnd, and....apparently the same icon again, xtra/gnome-mime-application-vnd, appear in the list but don't seem to actually have an image.

Screenshot attached.
Jon_J
I may have to try this in Cacko later.
Presently, I'm using Cresho's "cacko123-icons-oslinux-cxxxx_1.0_arm" theme
BTW, here is a *.png of the card manager icon in cacko.
This is the correct image, but it's 64x64
I didn't think an icon in the taskbar would be 64x64
Merardon
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Sep 21 2006, 04:29 PM)
I may have to try this in Cacko later.
Presently, I'm using Cresho's "cacko123-icons-oslinux-cxxxx_1.0_arm" theme
BTW, here is a *.png of the card manager icon in cacko.
This is the correct image, but it's 64x64
I didn't think an icon in the taskbar would be 64x64

What's the icon name for that? And for the record, any idea what the Connect/Disconnect icons are called? I've tried to change various icons such as that before, but never could get it to work. To make this perfect I'd want to swap the CyrKeyboard and Pickboard icons, replace the Connect/Disconnect icons, and swap the tray icons with more decent ones. (Not a request for Cresho, a question of where the actual icons are stored and if it's possible to change them manually..but I'm getting off-topic here.)
Jon_J
That icon above is actually called qtsamba.png
It's the wrong one, here's the correct one, it's called myzaurus.png [32x32]

connect and disconnect icons are located in opt/QtPalmtop/pics/netmon/

The attached icons have their respective filenames, if you right-click them and save as, the filename should appear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.