Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "resource Busy" When Trying To Format
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 General discussions
Smuffle
I installed the PDAXROM which really impressed me. Can my baby really do stuff like that? Very cool. If only it had Japanese support.. Now I'm trying to get back to the original sharp ROM.

The NAND backup file that I downloaded (SYSTC310.DBK) wasn't recognised on my CF card from the service menu and then I had a flashback of someone saying something about ext3 format.

I thought FDISK was a good place to start but it always says "Resource busy". I tried to UMOUNT the card first, but then I can't find the card! I've looked on the internet but seeing as I'm new to this, nothing is making sense.

(with a weak frail voice.. ) HeEELLPPpP. It's very dark in here..
icruise
You don't have to have it in ext3 format if that's what you are asking, but I've found that it can be pretty picky about the cards it will accept. The best thing to do is to try using a different card for the NAND restore.
Smuffle
QUOTE(icruise @ Oct 11 2005, 07:37 PM)
You don't have to have it in ext3 format if that's what you are asking, but I've found that it can be pretty picky about the cards it will accept. The best thing to do is to try using a different card for the NAND restore.

Do the cards have to be empty? I've tried 3 cards now and none work - 1Gb Sandisk CF, 2Gb Sandisk CF and 1Gb Panasonic SD. I use the "NAND BACKUP RESTORE". Is it possible I've got 3 cards that are not compatible?
icruise
Is it even possible to use an SD for a NAND restore?

I always used an empty card, freshly formatted, but I'm not sure it has to be that way. It might be that it doesn't like Sandisk cards. You might also try formatting them as FAT16 if you haven't already.
Smuffle
QUOTE(icruise @ Oct 11 2005, 08:15 PM)
Is it even possible to use an SD for a NAND restore?

I always used an empty card, freshly formatted, but I'm not sure it has to be that way. It might be that it doesn't like Sandisk cards. You might also try formatting them as FAT16 if you haven't already.

I would if I knew how! As I said, I had a go at FDISK but it didn't seem to like me. Why would it be "resource busy?" even with no apps open.
lardman
I tried to UMOUNT the card first, but then I can't find the card!

That's because you use the device as the argument to fdisk, not the mount-point.

For an SD/MMC card do:

fdisk /dev/mmcda

For a CF card do:

fdisk /dev/hda

Si
Smuffle
QUOTE(lardman @ Oct 11 2005, 10:40 PM)
I tried to UMOUNT the card first, but then I can't find the card!

That's because you use the device as the argument to fdisk, not the mount-point.

For an SD/MMC card do:

fdisk /dev/mmcda

For a CF card do:

fdisk /dev/hda

Si

Ah ha.

Now how I do I create a ext3 partition? Is this the standard format used with "add a new partition"?
Smuffle
Help! Now have spent most of today trying to get back to the sharp ROM. Getting a bit desperate now.

The question is, to do a NAND restore, what format does the card have to be in? And how do I get it into that format? Seem to be getting more and more lost. I've tried as many ways I can think of but it keeps saying "Can't find SYSTC310.DBK file" in the system menu thingy.
Smuffle
It's has taken me about 20 hours to go from the standard Sharp ROM, to the PDAXROM and back again; with a lot of learning, researching and phoning mum in between (I'm new to Linux).

Now that I know how, I could probably do the same thing in 20 minutes, but thanks for your help guys.

Just a few notes for other newbies like me - save you searching everywhere like I did:

- FDISK will not work if your current directory is the target disk (hence "resource busy" obvious when you know..)
- How to get to the hard core system menu: All power off for >5 seconds, hold down "d" and "m" before attaching the battery. Wait for screen to come up, then attach power adapter.
- If you flash to the PDAXROM, you won't be able to do a factory reset (messes with the bootloader?). Download the original Sharp ROM (comics.net) and reflash to get back to square one.
- Strangely, you can do a factory reset from the Trisoft ROM (to get you back to the way you bought it) but not from the PDAXROM.
- To flash your sharp, use a CF card with FAT16
- Once you've FDISK'ed your card, use mkfs.msdos /dev/[your card] to make a file system.
- PDAXROM was quicker than I thought. I thought Abiword would be a dog but it worked at about the same speed as an average PC. Very usable. Far superiour to the Sharp ROM but lack of Japanese support is a no no for me.

Hope that saved other noobs a few hours.

J.
lardman
FDISK will not work if your current directory is the target disk (hence "resource busy" obvious when you know..)

This is only a side-effect of the real cause - the real cause is that you can't run fdisk on a mounted partition (and the partition has to be mounted for it to be the current directory, etc.).

Si
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.