Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 128 Mb Flash Upgrade
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Hardware Mods
Pages: 1, 2
speculatrix
I have found a possible source of the flash memory chips!

I got hold of a 128MB Lexar Memory Stick (not duo or pro, just a regular one), it's in a transparent purple case so you can see the chip inside. It says

samsung 334
k9k1g08u0a
ycbo

there seems to be a supplier here (or so they claim): http://www.partminer.com/pagedetail/5353/18

I am willing to sacrifice this memory stick and extract the memory device... and to try and solder it into my 6000. When this subject first got discussed and I got all excited, I found someone with surface mount tools, so maybe I can resurrect this plan!

would anyone find a photo useful?

--edit: oops, it was 334 and not 324 and also added supplier
guylhem
also found the exact samsung chips myself on a card 4 days ago.
We just need to test that now.

PS: when you will have soldered the chip, you will need a special nand .dbk to restore from the DM menu. Tell me

Guylhem
speculatrix
QUOTE(guylhem @ May 3 2006, 01:17 PM)
also found the exact samsung chips myself on a card 4 days ago.
We just need to test that now.

PS: when you will have soldered the chip, you will need a special nand .dbk to restore from the DM menu. Tell me

Guylhem

it might be a dumb question but would I need to unsolder the existing chip from the Z, given that the 6000 has only 64MB of flash, and we're adding the wrong size (a 128MB device) i.e trying to get 192MB of flash?

should I erase the flash chip and program with something before removing it from the memory stick if it would help (even if it were just some specific pattern that I would recognise when firing up the modified Z and thus very my address and data lines are all correct)?
speculatrix
I've now borrowed the surface-mount rework unit, so I hope to be tackling the project quite soon!
guylhem
don't do anything special to the chip. just unsolder the existing 64 M one, solder the new 128 M one, then go to the DM menu and no a nand erase.

Then email me - I'll send you a nand backup
speculatrix
First stage complete: I removed the Samsung flash chip from the memory stick. Naturally, I took photos. I am starting to write it up here:

http://www.zaurus.org.uk/6000-memory.html

(at last, some content!)
the_oak
http://www.zaurus.org.uk/6000-memory.html

No pictures are showing up.
speculatrix
QUOTE(the_oak @ May 10 2006, 11:59 AM)

yup, they're just placeholders for the moment.. sorry, I should have said.
speculatrix
just to followup, I now have worries over whether I should be fitting a K9K1 or a K9D1 chip... perhaps I should post my K9K1 chip to Guylhem who can break^Wupgrade his lovely 6000W and then if^Wwhen it works I will then upgrade mine.
guylhem
speculatrix, there should be no risk doing the upgrade - if the flash chip doesn't work, simply remove it and put back the old one instead.

The only problem may be the bootloader I told you - if you have a serial cable to get any error message it hsould be fine

Guylhem
albertr
I'm wondering why to take risks of damaging the Zaurus with upgrading 64MB NAND chip to mere 128MB NAND when 4GB SD cards are available for under 100 bucks now? I think upgrading RAM chips would be more rewarding and at least as much difficult and interesting?
-albertr
Reaper
Because there are some unhappy guys who have only 16 Mb of NAND in their Zaurii. sad.gif Like me, for example. smile.gif This puts us off the road of mainstream ROMS - we have to hassle with old betas, pivoting and so on...

BTW, I got that Lexar MS with the proper chip and one day I'm going to try it out.
speculatrix
QUOTE(albertr @ May 18 2006, 04:32 PM)
I'm wondering why  to take risks of damaging the Zaurus with upgrading  64MB NAND chip to mere 128MB NAND when 4GB SD cards are available for under 100 bucks now? I think upgrading RAM chips would be more rewarding and at least as much difficult and interesting?
-albertr

Hmm. scratches head. I guess we started this BEFORE the >1GB sd card driver fix came along, and it's developed momentum of its own... tho' I don't know if the drivers work on the SL-6000, as I understood it, the C-Guys drivers were 760/860 only.

However, given the balance of risks, maybe it'd be better to wait until multi-GB support is fully supported on the 6000 rather than take the risk. I can understand 3000 users being a bit keener, though, as the flash limited is slightly more of a pain.

If SDIO were properly supported on the 6000, then keeping the SD card slot free for I/O devices would make flash upgrade more interesting.
albertr
Actually, I was just trying to say that RAM upgrade might be at least as useful .. especially since you got a hold of surface mount station. Hint, hint....
-albertr
speculatrix
QUOTE(albertr @ May 19 2006, 03:07 PM)
Actually, I was just trying to say that RAM upgrade might be at least as useful .. especially since you got a hold of surface mount station. Hint, hint....
-albertr

flash memory chips are TSOP, but aren't DRAMs BGA which are harder to solder? I am happy to stand corrected!
Tom61
QUOTE(speculatrix @ May 19 2006, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE(albertr @ May 19 2006, 03:07 PM)
-albertr

flash memory chips are TSOP, but aren't DRAMs BGA which are harder to solder? I am happy to stand corrected!

You're right. You have to have expensive reballing hardware, or be really dedicated in rolling your own, to be able to do BGA. SMT is very easy in comparison.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.