Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dual Boot Setup?
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 General discussions
GadgetGuy
I have read various post about dual boot setups.

People booting Qtopia or something else ( PdaXrom, OpenBSD etc.) on the same unit - using a boot manager prompt. ( Boot can be from CF, HD or SD)

See for example here: http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13560&st=0

Has anyone done this on a C3100? If yes, could you please post step by step instructions?

Thank you!
chiark
I'd love to see this, too, on my C1000. I'd like to have Cacko 1.23 as my default, with the option to boot pdaxrom from SD.

By the sounds of it, I need to install PdaXrom, take an archive of the whole root directory with permissions etc, then move that to SD, then install something to pivot the root during the normal boot process.

if I make any progress, I'll let you know biggrin.gif , but hopefully someone will be able to help
GadgetGuy
QUOTE(chiark @ Oct 20 2005, 09:36 AM)
I'd like to have Cacko 1.23 as my default, with the option to boot pdaxrom from SD.

That is the exact configuration I am hoping to get on my C3100: cacko 1.23 + pdaXrom...
merli
QUOTE(chiark @ Oct 20 2005, 04:36 PM)
I'd love to see this, too, on my C1000.  I'd like to have Cacko 1.23 as my default, with the option to boot pdaxrom from SD.

By the sounds of it, I need to install PdaXrom, take an archive of the whole root directory with permissions etc, then move that to SD, then install something to pivot the root during the normal boot process. 

if I make any progress, I'll let you know biggrin.gif , but hopefully someone will be able to help

I would like to use same setup. Anyone knows if dual boot is done after kernel load or before? If after then Cacko 1.23 and Pdaxrom shoud have compatible kernels (with all needed modules) Can anyone make me clear about it?
chiark
it's after kernel load to my knowledge. Pivot root has been mentioned before now... There's some threads/archives using an older RC of pdaxrom with cacko, but they could do with updating to something more recent...

Of course the other option would be to keep a nand backups on a fat16 CF and just keep updating those before restoring and booting into the other OS. That might be the easier option I suppose? It would certainly be faster, as running from SD on my 5500 was hellishly slow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.