Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.0rc3 Released
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Guylhem Rom
Pages: 1, 2
guylhem
hello

as promised 1.0rc3 has been released on time.
you can get it from http://externe.net/zaurus/guylhem-rom/syst0006.dbk-1-0rc3

i am actually uploading it, along with its new readme and installation instructions. the md5sum is ae2c06f454b741bece74cdab8c664d46

bug reports would be welcome. the only known bug i have noticed is sharp music player has problem with the external media - no other application has that problem, and since i intend to replace non free application by free software application, that shouldn't be a problem for long.

a limitation i am aware of is the lack of cf drivers for all kind of usb and bluetooth cards, but you can easily compile your own kernel and drivers if needed.

i hope you'll all like the fruit of longs nights of work.

enjoy,
guylhem
Gorth
Guylhem -
This is great. I downloaded and installed without a problem. Only difficulty is connection icon does not show up for built-in wireless. I added WLAN config, but no way to use it. In the previous version, the connection dialogue would pop-up when I brought up Opera. That doesn't happen now, so I don't know how to activate the link.

Gorth
Thanks for all the great work.
rip
i'll test it as soon as possible.
meric encore guylhem
adf
re oss software... do you plan to make an up-to-date konqueror?
full kong runs in pdax.... so a roll your own static version might go, but it would be enormous.
Maybe redoing konq embedded for 2006? would be chance to get flash going, and other stuff opera doesn't handle. And I suppose it coul be done to handle file browsing stuff too...
might be cool if it wasn't too hellish to pull off.
wil check out the rom in a few days
guylhem
konq - no I don't like it a lot. webcore would be a better idea, with a qtopia interface. a lot of work however IMHO.

regarding the network, I'll check that and post a fix
rip
first impressions....

wifi doesn't work, i can create a wifi with get online but nothing happens then
sd bug persists, cf ok
when creating wifi lan ip, the "dot" key doesn't work, obliged to write it with the virtual keyboard.
package manager has the same bug as before... the only choice is internal flash and says someting went wrong (but he says sorry smile.gif)

same pbs after a reboot.
will test again tomorow.

thanks anyway and keep it up
guylhem
rip, can you detail the sd bug? here it works fine with a fat32 formatted sd.

the "." key when creating a lan ip is imho also present on the sharp rom.
Gorth
What I see on the sd mount problem is that sd formatted ext2 mounts as vfat to /mnt/card on guylhem rom. The same sd mounts correctly as ext2 on pdaxrom. Oddly when back to guylhem rom I issued "umount /mnt/card" (attempting to remount with -type ext2) the shell replied "Invalid argument".

Gorth
adf
QUOTE(guylhem @ Oct 23 2005, 09:21 PM)
konq - no I don't like it a lot. webcore would be a better idea, with a qtopia interface. a lot of work however IMHO.

regarding the network, I'll check that and post a fix

It never occured to me to look at apple stuff smile.gif
rip
hi guylhemn, tell me more about what you want me to tell you, any function you want me to check?
its a 128 mini sd card with its sd adaptator seen ok with my previous pdaxrom.
seems to be your icons in the tab documents.

for teh dot pb, it was working ok wih all the roms i tried before, even your previous guylhem's rom.

wink.gif
rip
doen some more test in the train , héhé

seems you've created some scripts for the wifi:
net.wifi.local
net.wifi.sniff
net.wifi.scanap
etc...

seems to wake up the wifi interface but no hotspot available at work to check.
will check it at home again.
the network tool in settings is not listing any wifi interface but "wifi accounts" are created and when i create an irda account for example, it is in the list and make the net icon appear but still no choice or any wifi.

also when i do a ikpg install it drops me a full list:
error: file not found: /usr/lib/lists/Guylem_Distribution
you probably want to run 'ipkg update'
mkdir: cannot create directory //home/tmp/ipkg/justreader/
permission denied

so tried in root, same issue
chmod 777 on / and on /mnt/cf and /mnt/card
same issue too.

note that i've reflashed from start this morning without any sd inserted and the same sd bug in tab appear.

hope it helps and tell me if you want me to test deeper but you'll have to tell me also the steps as i'm not a linux guru at all.
guylhem
Hello

Regaring the
- dot problem - I'll check that and see if I can fix it. If it works everywhere else I sure can fix it !
- sd - ditto. Can you please post me a copy of pdaxrom /etc/fstab and /etc/sdcontrol /etc/pcmcia/ide.opts? I did hardcode vfat in the latters since some people had issues else. umount works fine here. I also introduced an error in the sd init.d script which I'm fixing (path of sharp_mmc module)
- wifi scripts - that's because I introduced a mistake in /etc/wlan/wlan.conf. They won't work without a fix:
ESSID_wlan0=""
ENABLE_wlan0=y

I will release a updated version with these 3 bugs fixed soon. Yet the net wizard won't work yet- I have to check /etc /opt/Qtopia/etc and /home/zaurus from the previous release to see where is the mistake. If you are actually running the previous release, a tarball of these files could help fixing that faster.

Guylhem
rip
ok for the dot, i think it wos working fine in last guylhem release so you will find the pb i believe.
sd pb: hope you will find a fix .
hope also you will find a fix for programm install bug as it think its related to sd bug.

if wifi pb comes from typo mistake, it's cool, quick to resolve.

most important for me is the ability to install prog where i want: internal/cf/sd
then wifi.

merci guylhem et continue comme ca!
guylhem
for the dot problem - fixed

edit /opt/Qtopia/etc
look for String_Return
replace the ending 0xa1 by 0x01

Stupid typo !
rip
heu, what file exactly do i have to edit in etc?
rip
i suposed its in /etc/wlan/wlan.conf

but this file is empty, only the usual text... normal?
orodriguez
Regarding wifi.

To connect to a WEP enabled network I used this script:

CODE
ZAURUSIP=192.168.0.15
GATEIP=192.168.0.1
MYWLAN=NETESSID
WEPEY=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_hostwep decrypt=true encrypt=true
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKeyID=1            
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11ExcludeUnencrypted=true      
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11PrivacyInvoked=true          
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKey0=$WEPKEY
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKey1=$WEPKEY
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKey2=$WEPKEY
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKey3=$WEPKEY
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=$MYWLAN authtype=opensystem
ifconfig wlan0 $ZAURUSIP up
route add default gw $GATEIP

Regarding SD, just executing this, fixed my problems:

CODE
modprobe sharp_mmcsd_m
mount -o noatime /dev/mmcda1 /mnt/card/

BTW, mine is an MMC card so this may or may not work with SD.

Guylhem: Great work! Thank you very much!
rip
quick feebback, your trick made my sd seen by 6k
great!
will it be persistent? or needed to be done again?

will try the wifi script later on.

thanks you very much
the_oak
QUOTE(orodriguez @ Oct 24 2005, 07:32 AM)
Regarding SD, just executing this, fixed my problems:

CODE
modprobe sharp_mmcsd_m
mount -o noatime /dev/mmcda1 /mnt/card/

BTW, mine is an MMC card so this may or may not work with SD.

Guylhem: Great work! Thank you very much!

That also fixed my SD card formatted ext2 (I thought my SD card had been erased!) Now I can see all my files I had on that card!! Thanks!!!
orodriguez
QUOTE(rip @ Oct 24 2005, 12:46 PM)
quick feebback, your trick made my sd seen by 6k
great!
will it be persistent? or needed to be done again?

It seems that the problem has something to do with sharp kernel module, maybe just loading it on startup fixes the problem even between reboots, will try it later.
rip
mhhh sd card disapereared, reboot does not help, done your tip again but no joy, send me an error sg telling no such device
the_oak
I also got "no such device". Tried modprobing wlanctl-ng, wlan-ng, prism2, hostap, and everything else I can think of, but get "can't locate module whatever" response.
(Not really sure what I should be modprobing anyway, so these are just guesses.)
orodriguez
QUOTE(rip @ Oct 24 2005, 01:18 PM)
mhhh sd card disapereared, reboot does not help, done your tip again but no joy, send me an error sg telling no such device

Try to reboot without the SD card.

If the trick does not work at all, look at /dev/mmcda* to see what devices are available and use those dev instead.

If there is no one, maybe you could reload the kernel module and create device nodes with mknod:

CODE
mknod  -m 644 /dev/mmcda b 60 0
mknod  -m 644 /dev/mmcda1 b 60 1
mknod  -m 644 /dev/mmcda2 b 60 2

And try again. If the error persists, tell us exactly what the error message is.

Good luck!
orodriguez
QUOTE(the_oak @ Oct 24 2005, 01:30 PM)
I also got "no such device". Tried modprobing wlanctl-ng, wlan-ng, prism2, hostap, and everything else I can think of, but get "can't locate module whatever" response.
(Not really sure what I should be modprobing anyway, so these are just guesses.)

modprobe just loads kernel modules ("device drivers").

Those modules have nothing to do with SD card, they are wifi related.

To load wlan module you can issue a:
CODE
modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1

sharp_mmcsd_m is the sharp binary module for SD and MMC cards.

I am not able to reproduce your problem.

Maybe you can describe the steps performed before you got the error message and will try to reproduce it in my Z.
rip
/dev/mmcda stdin
/dev/mmcda1 stdout
/dev/mmcda2 ts

reboot without sd doesnt help
mknod -m 644 /dev/mmcda1 b 60 1 file exist

same msg on 2 others
reset without sd does not help...
the_oak
Regarding wifi.

CODE
ZAURUSIP=192.168.0.15
GATEIP=192.168.0.1
MYWLAN=NETESSID

wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_hostwep decrypt=true encrypt=true
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKeyID=1            
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11ExcludeUnencrypted=true      
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11PrivacyInvoked=true          
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKey0=$WEPKEY
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKey1=$WEPKEY
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKey2=$WEPKEY
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKey3=$WEPKEY
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=$MYWLAN authtype=opensystem
ifconfig wlan0 $ZAURUSIP up
route add default gw $GATEIP

It was regarding this wlan script that I got the error "no such device" The SD card fix worked fine for me. But the wlan script complains as follows:

# ./tmp_wlan_up
wlanctl-ng: No such device
mibattribute="data_string_too_short"
message=dot11req_mibset
  mibattribute=data_string_too_short
  resultcode=no_value
message=dot11req_mibset
  resultcode=no_value
message=dot11req_mibset
  resultcode=no_value
message=dot11req_mibset
  resultcode=no_value
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
wlan0: unknown interface: No such devicewlan0: unknown interface: No such deviceSIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable 
Gorth
look at /usr/local/bin/net.wifi scripts. modprobe p80211, prism2_usb, then usbctl on 1. Now you will have device wlan0.

Gorth
the_oak
QUOTE(Gorth @ Oct 24 2005, 09:47 AM)
look at /usr/local/bin/net.wifi scripts.  modprobe p80211, prism2_usb, then  usbctl on 1.  Now you will have device wlan0.

Gorth

All that did for me was turn on the green light. I used the net.wifi.local script after putting my essid in the script.
guylhem
the file to edit in /opt/qtopia/etc is keycode.tbl

regarding the wifi issues you must change /etc/wlan/wlan.conf

Attached a minimal (if you must type it by hand) and a complete (if you can copy it) file to that message
orodriguez
QUOTE(rip @ Oct 24 2005, 01:57 PM)
/dev/mmcda    stdin
/dev/mmcda1  stdout
/dev/mmcda2  ts

reboot without sd doesnt help
mknod  -m 644 /dev/mmcda1 b 60 1 file exist

same msg on 2 others
reset without sd does not help...

Just wondering, maybe there is something wrong with mounts. Is there any /mnt/card or /dev/mmcda1 in /proc/mounts? Trying to find out why you are having problems with SD I found /dec/mmcda1 mounted in /proc/mounts but not in /mnt/card so I tried (as root):

1) umount /mnt/card
2) rmmod sharp_mmcsd_m
3) modprobe sharp_mmcsd_m
4) mount /mnt/card

some commands displayed errors (none of them harmful) but cannot remember exactly which ones did work and which didn't.

This was a little bit wierd but haven't found why happened.
orodriguez
QUOTE(the_oak @ Oct 24 2005, 02:08 PM)
Regarding wifi.

# ./tmp_wlan_up
message=dot11req_mibset
  resultcode=no_value
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
wlan0: unknown interface: No such devicewlan0: unknown interface: No such deviceSIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable 

A typo here:

should read WEPKEY=XX:XX:...
also XX:XX,etc should be your WEP key in HEX
and do not forget to put your network ESSID after MYWLAN=

And here, before:

the module should be loaded with:
modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1

Very sorry for the inconvenience.

BTW, Guylhem has submitted to the forum the conf-files for wlan.
the_oak
I noticed the (WEPEY) WEPKEY typo and fixed that previously. I had also put my essid in the script. I do not have WEP set up. Should I set WEPKEY=none or something like that?

For the moment, I have reverted to my default Sharp rom, but I can re-install rc3 and test the new scripts Guylhem posted as well as your suggestions if he/you need them tested by other users. Just let me know, and I will be happy to test further. But if it is not necessary, then I will await rc4. Thanks!
guylhem
regarding the SD - fix the path of the module in /etc/initd.d/sd start script. It needs sharp_mmc modules from /lib/modules , whick I moved from kernel/block to net/ (only because I put the modules I am not working on in a separate directory, to avoid accidently removing them as I did once or twice and add to ask here for the original files)

regarding ipkg install - found the problem. That's because I updated busybox and forgot to add support for tar options --no-same-owner and --no-same-permissions . Fixed

BTW here is the new busybox

Guylhem
rip
really sorry guylhem, as i told you i'm a newbie.
unzipped your busybox but din't where to replace it.
so guessed...
renamed to busybox.conf and replaced the existing one in /etc
but no luck, same pb after a reboot and reset
for the sd fix, i really didn't understood a word of what to fix/replace.

is it difficult for you to repackage a .dbk including all fixes , perhaps it takes a lot of time to do .
but for a newbie like me its difficult to know where to change things.

also for wlan txt file, replaced it and rebooted, same issue, no wlan account available after having created a new with get online.

or perhaps you could edit the first page of this thread with all the fix and path you've made (for an easier view)

no critisize at all, guylhem, just a way to make it easier for users like me.

merci wink.gif
rip
dot pb:
look for String_Return

wlan issue:
change wlan.conf in:
/etc/wlan/
change:
WLAN_DEVICES="wlan0"

ChannelList="01:02:03:04:05:06:07:08:09:0a:0b:0c:0d:0e"
ChannelMinTime=200
ChannelMaxTime=250
WLAN_SCAN=n

SSID_wlan0=""
SCHEME_wlan0=qpewlan0
ENABLE_wlan0=y

busybox /ipkg pb:
regarding ipkg install - found the problem. That's because I updated busybox and forgot to add support for tar options --no-same-owner and --no-same-permissions . Fixed

busybox file
--guylhem to explain where to replace--

sd pb:
regarding the SD - fix the path of the module in /etc/initd.d/sd start script. It needs sharp_mmc modules from /lib/modules , whick I moved from kernel/block to net/ (only because I put the modules I am not working on in a separate directory, to avoid accidently removing them as I did once or twice and add to ask here for the original files)
--guylhem to explain what exactly to do--

i think i resumed them. feel free to comment, add fixes and i could edit this post. smile.gif by the end guylhem will just have to copy/paste to the first post .

merci
guylhem
QUOTE(rip @ Oct 25 2005, 02:37 AM)
dot pb:
look for String_Return

wlan issue:
change wlan.conf in:
/etc/wlan/
change:
WLAN_DEVICES="wlan0"

ChannelList="01:02:03:04:05:06:07:08:09:0a:0b:0c:0d:0e"
ChannelMinTime=200
ChannelMaxTime=250
WLAN_SCAN=n

SSID_wlan0=""
SCHEME_wlan0=qpewlan0
ENABLE_wlan0=y

busybox /ipkg pb:

busybox file
--guylhem to explain where to replace--

Put in in /bin : mv busybox /bin.
Additional instructions are required since I just noticed the perms were wrong too. Don't do this for now.

sd pb:
--guylhem to explain what exactly to do--

Use the following script:
rip
merci guylhem for the feedback but for the sd pb, i still don't know where to put that as i didn't found /etc/initd.d folder sad.gif
for the busybow i'll wait for your green light.

i've noticed you have posted a readme for a rc4, good news wink.gif
orodriguez
QUOTE(rip @ Oct 26 2005, 02:23 PM)
merci guylhem for the feedback but for the sd pb, i still don't know where to put that as i didn't found /etc/initd.d folder sad.gif
for the busybow i'll wait for your green light.

i've noticed you have posted a readme for a rc4, good news wink.gif

Just overwrite /etc/rc.d/init.d/sd
rip
thanks for starters like me wink.gif
rip
another thing, i've been unable to sync my 6k with this rom but i guess it comes from my 2k machine.
anyone tried?
Gorth
guylhem or anybody -
Excuse me if this is answered elsewhere, but to which key combo is the pipe symbol(|) mapped?

thanks,
Gorth
orodriguez
QUOTE(Gorth @ Oct 26 2005, 03:33 PM)
Excuse me if this is answered elsewhere, but to which key combo is the pipe symbol(|) mapped?

Shift+Space
Gorth
I still see a prob w/sd mount, even after changing out the init.d/sd script. Boot messages post the SD service starting, the correct module is loaded, but the filesystem is still not mounted correctly. Directories do not display, even though mount -l shows it mounted ext2. The only way I have found to mount the sd successfully is to issue the command identified by orodriguez from the command line as root.

Gorth
rip
hi all , while forum was down, guylhem seems to had a hard work and released us a rc4, yeahhhhhhhh

dl right now and will let you know.

merci merci guylhem smile.gif rolleyes.gif cool.gif
rip
ok, first quick impressions:
dot pb fixed (as in your changelog)
sd mount fixed
prog install in internal memory ok.

wifi icon is still off (not available) even after having created an account through get online.
i'm still not able to install any pb either on sd and cf (greyed out).

testing still in progress.
guylhem
Hello

That's what I expected - I haven't fixed the networking icon issue yet. please use the wifi script meanwhile

Regarding installing to CF/SD, I'll have to dig it further. It may be due to missing links/band configuration.

Hopefully both issues will be fixed in rc5. Meanwhile, please keep looking for bugs guys ! If you don't report them I can't fix them.
rip
well, will continue.
could you quicly explain how to use the wifi scripts?
i'm able to launch them but what do i have to do then?

hope you will fix quicly the cf/sd install prog because it will block big prog install (opera 7.55?)

will continue testing. can count on me wink.gif
thanks
the_oak
Md5sum for rc4?
guylhem
QUOTE(the_oak @ Oct 28 2005, 10:29 AM)
Md5sum for rc4?

Hello

Cant calculate it right now. Hopefully the image is good since rip succeeded.
Could you please (if you still have the sharp rom) do the following for me on your Zaurus:

tar zcvf /mnt/cf/etc0.tar.gz /opt/Qtopia/etc/
tar zcvf /mnt/cf/etc1.tar.gz /etc/
tar zcvf /mnt/cf/etc2.tar.gz /home/etc/
tar zcvf /mnt/cf/etc3.tar.gz /home/zaurus/

It will create 4 files on your CF. Replace "cf" by "card" for a SD. Then please post each etc.tar.gz here.

That will help me fix both the install and the network icon bug by comparing my settings to sharp defaults
the_oak
I'll do it right now. Just a few minutes please.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.