Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cacko Rom 1.23 Is Released
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Sharp ROMs
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
maslovsky
Cacko ROM 1.23 is released. Supporting Zaurus models are: SL-C1000, SL-C3100/SL-C3200 in addition to SL-C7x0/SL-C860. Note that SL-C3000 is not supported yet, but I hope Andy (aka iamasmith) will release proper version soon.

Please, visit http://cacko.biz/cacko/ for download links.

Enjoy and remember that donations are always welcome smile.gif

Important! Main Cacko feed has not been updated yet, please, use Cacko feed mirror:

http://web.mol.ru/~zaurus/feed/

---------------------------------------------------------

CACkO Zaurus Qtopia ROM 1.23 1029311005 (SL-C1000) "Nastya"
Mon Oct 31 10:35:34 MSK 2005

© Cacko Team (http://cacko.biz), 2003-2005

Visit our web site for more information: http://cacko.biz/cacko/
Make sure to read FAQ at http://cacko.biz/cacko/faq
Report bugs at http://cacko.biz/cacko/bugs

IMPORTANT: This ROM requries a flash partition at least 32 MBytes in size!
Make sure to repartition your internal flash before updating ROM!

Installation:

1. Extract the 3 files - initrd.bin tools.tar updater.sh - to the root of your CF or SD/MMC card.
2. Make sure that Zaurus isn't plugged into AC power.
3. Remove battery for at least 5 seconds.
4. Replace battery (replace battery cover, lock cover), plug in AC power.
5. Press and hold the "OK" button on the keyboard.
6. Turn the power on, you should see the Japanese service menu.
7. Now Plug in the Power Cord. (You will get an error if it isn't plugged in!)
8. Select option 4 (flash/update).
9. You then have several options including CF and SD
10. Choose either CF or SD, depending on which media you put the files on.

11. Select "3 NAND Flash Utils"
12. Select "1 Resize root partition"
13. Enter 32 when prompted for root partition size.
12. Flash will be repartioned and Zaurus will reboot.

13. Repeat steps 2-10 again and wait for the menu start menu.
14. Now select "1 Install new ROM" and wait. Reboot your Zaurus when ROM installaiton is complete.

-------------

Release Notes:

This ROM version wa smainly intended to support Zaurus models (C1000 and C3100). Later on it was decided to include support for older models as well. It also insludes some minor updates and fixes found during 1.22 ROM usage.

Many thanks to all the beta testers who have contributed a lot of efforts to help produce this ROM.

Changes:

Kernel:
- Added Cacko boot logo (every other ROM already had one smile.gif
- Added latest kernel patches from Tetsu
- Added MTD emulation module (blkmtd.o) for block devices (to mount jffs2 images on Zaurus)
- Enabled detection of SCSI Multi-LUN (Logical Unit Number) devices, such as multi-format card readers
- Updated kayboard map to include some missing characters in console
- Updated serial driver (thanks to albertr and 2x4ever)
- serial_cs driver is built as module, so that it can be easily updated
- Included updated USB storage and serial drivers from 2.4.31 kernel
- SCSI drivers are build as modules
- Cursor blinking rate in pure Linux console is configurable via /proc/sys/dev/fb/cursor_blink_rate

File Systems:
- Squashfs filesystem updated to version 2.2
- Added NTFS module
- Added HFS and HFS+ (Apple File System) modules
- Added ISO/Joliet (CD-ROM) and UDF (DVD) modules
- Added support for new partition types: Macintosh and Win2K Dynamic Disk
- Updated FUSE to version 1.4 (latest verison available for 2.4.x kernels)

Networking:
- Updated OpenSSL package to 0.9.7g
- Updated OpenSSH package to 4.1p1.
Note that empty passwords are not allowed by default! Set root password to be able to login via SSH
- Updated networking scripts to clean up DHCP leftovers
- Added PPP Deflate compression option, updated aliases in modules.conf
- Updated pppd to 2.4.3
- Bringing usbd0 interface down during suspend
- Updated Pegasus USB Network drivers to 0.4.32
- Updated RTL 8150 USB Network drivers to 0.4.3
- Included driver modules to support for USB Ethernet devices
- Included driver modules for Serial USB devices
- Increased DHCP timeout for LAN network connections
- Updated configuration entry for TRENDnet TE-CF100 Fast Ethernet CF Adapter
- Updated USBNET driver from 2.4.32 kernel source, supporting many USB Ethernet dongles
- Added USB Network applet to configure network using USB Ethernet dongles
- Updated wget to 1.10.2, build with SSL support

Wireless:
- Wireless Extentions updated to v16
- Wireless Tools updated to 0.27
- Hostap drivers updated to version 0.3.7
- Orinoco/Spectrum driver updated to 0.15rc2-CVS (with monitor mode)
- Added drivers for USB Prism and Orinoco based wireless devices
- Socket/Symbol WiFi card is now fully supported via Network Setup
- New Socket WiFi card (with Agere Hermes II chipset) is supported (OpenKey WEP only)
- Fixed problem with non-specific ("Any") ESSID
- Added entry for "WAVEline Compact Flash Wireless Adapter"
- Added support for Prism3 WiFi cards without firmware in flash,
such as "IO Data WN-B11/CFZ Wireless CF Adapter" and "PLANEX GW-CF11X Wireless CF Card"

- Changed interface name for wireless cards from ethX to commonly used wlanX

Bluetooth:
- Updated bluez library and utilities to version 2.21, hcidump to 2.21
- Improved support for USB bluetooth devices
- Updated bluetooth dialup network applet (thanks to Michail Kostousov).
New applet allows to configure multiple rfcomm entries.
- Fixed problem with network icon not appearing in TaskBar with some serial bluetooth CF cards

ROM:
- Updated tinylogin to 1.4
- Updated unrar to version 3.5.4
- Updated Card Manager utilities to 3.2.7
- Added cpio 2.6
- Updated sed to 4.0.7
- Updated readline library to patchlvel 5
- Updated bash to patchlevel 16
- Added patched version of USB library (fixes ARM alignment issues)
- Updated usb.ids file
- Updated scmxx utility to 0.8.0
- Updated configuration scripts to better support USB joysticks and joypads

Qtopia:
- Kino2 is updated to version 0.4.3c
- Latest versions of mplayer 1.1.5 and bvdd 0.4 video driver are included
- Latest Sharp applications included: PIM apps from C1000 and C3100, Photostorage, MusicPayer, Netfront 3.1
- Added new keymaps: esperanto, catalan, espanyol and cyrillic-phonetic-psion
- Updated Deutsch keymap (thanks to Andre Beckedorf)
- Added PickBoard input method
- Updated neocal to 1.7.7
- Made it possible to remove Qtopia background image
- Made it possible to create a swap file in internal flash or built-in hard disk
- Added InputHelper applet to support USB mouse in Qtopia
- Added some missing mime types
- QKonsole launch speed has been improved
- Updated Sysinfo application to display information about attached devices
- Updated Card Monitor applet not to display popup messages
- PIM data is send via IRDA with UTF-8 encoding
- SDL libraty has been removed form the ROM. Updated library optimized for PXA270 should be installed separately.
mk500
Thanks maslovsky!

I'm flashing my C760 now. Just sent a donation (mkrueger).

Great improvements to your excellent ROM!
cal
I am using the new version on my C1000... While everything else seems to work great, I have trouble playing media files. MP3s will not play. I have tried to install the ROM twice, and still can't make it work. I have tried from SD and CF cards. Does anyone have any idea? Do I need to install a lib?
ninjafoo
C1000 - First impressions, great work - all the stuff/toys/tweaks I had installed on the sharp rom to make it usable, overclocking works prefectly - FZero on snes9x - full speed smile.gif

Speaking of snes9x, it requires libsdl which isnt in the feed.

The description for frodo is the feed still says 'froso'

Wifi card works, connection is as intermitant as usual, so no better or worse than the sharp rom.

Haven't tried media files yet.

Installed nano & ncurses (not from feed) and it fails to start :/

Will try media files this evening and post my results
Da_Blitz
with the c3k wouldnt just be easier to boot off the flash with initrd, set up the hard drive then piviot root to the hard drive and start the normal boot sequence, just use the flash like a linux bootloader. thats what openzaurus seems to be doing at the moment and it works well

one advantage in this aproch is you can use it to scan all harddrvies/partions and present a menu of which one to boot from, eg CF SD on board flash or micrdrive and would help in unifying the work on the c3k c3100 and c1k by only having to fiddle with the initrd to get it working on the other models

just my 2 cents, dont suppose you could get the 1.22 cacko for the c3k up in the mean time, just when i need it it disapears (bad reflash) and i have no local backup
bolbit
Well, I tried it and there is really lot of very good stuff, like the USB drivers for the lynksys USB Ethernet Dongle (aixxxx module), etc etc.. but kphone with sipgate no more works?.

If i setup kphone to use the Stun server => no registration, if i remove the stun server, registration ok, test on 10000 number ok, but "a error occured" if i try to make a call to a fixed line...

so i want to come back to the sharp rom, but, if i restore my NAND backup there is an error so here my question,

How to restore a NAND sharprom backup after the cacko rom 1.23 install (with the 32M format stuff..)

I tried to reformat 64Mo for the rom (using the cacko install) and relaunch the nand backup, but same error ?? thanks

UPDATE : Kphone is working, just a config error from me. still not able to restore the sharprom BTW.
ShiroiKuma
Will there be a Japanese version Cacko 1.23 again like there was with 1.22?
bam
QUOTE(bolbit @ Nov 2 2005, 10:34 PM)
Well, I tried it and there is really lot of very good stuff, like the USB drivers for the lynksys USB Ethernet Dongle (aixxxx module), etc etc.. but kphone with sipgate no more works?.

If i setup kphone to use the Stun server => no registration, if i remove the stun server, registration ok, test on 10000 number ok, but "a error occured" if i try to make a call to a fixed line...

so i want to come back to the sharp rom, but, if i restore my NAND backup there is an error so here my question,

How to restore a NAND sharprom backup after the cacko rom 1.23 install (with the 32M format stuff..)

I tried to reformat 64Mo for the rom (using the cacko install) and relaunch the nand backup, but same error ?? thanks

I used the D+M insert battery, the restore rom menu, then a hard reset (factory restore), then you should be ok. I currently am using tetsu's kernel, but gonna use Cacko Lite soon so I can have some more control over what junk is installed.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(maslovsky @ Nov 1 2005, 06:19 AM)
Important! Main Cacko feed has not been updated yet, please, use Cacko feed mirror:

http://web.mol.ru/~zaurus/feed/

This feed doesn't seem to exist. Is the address right?
Zitune
Iamasmith,

We (C3000 owner) have faith in you !!!

smile.gif
Stubear
Sorry for the late posting, I'd hoped to have this ready when Cacko 1.23 went live, but I've been down with the flu.

Anyway here are the japanese support ipks to add back Japanese input methods to the C1000 and C3100. For some reason the CRIM from the C3100 doesn't work on the C1K - it causes an endless restart of qtopia - so I've made 2 ipks.

I'll hopefully finish the rest of the Japanese application support over the weekend and get it to maslovsky to add to the Cacko feed.

I've seperated the fonts from the old japanese-support ipk into a seperate ipk as they were only used by the sldict app (which doesn't come with the C3x00 zaurus)

NOTE: I don't have a C3100, so I haven't tested this ipk

Japanese Support for C1000 Click to view attachment
Japanese Supprot for C3100 Click to view attachment

Please let me know if you have any problems with these ipks

Stu
chiark
hats off to Maslovsky- excellent work!

Could you please tell me where the latest and greatest LibSDL giving best performance on the C1000 could be found?
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(Stubear @ Nov 4 2005, 11:46 AM)
Sorry for the late posting, I'd hoped to have this ready when Cacko 1.23 went live, but I've been down with the flu.

Anyway here are the japanese support ipks to add back Japanese input methods to the C1000 and C3100. For some reason the CRIM from the C3100 doesn't work on the C1K - it causes an endless restart of qtopia - so I've made 2 ipks.

Not what I meant smile.gif

With version 1.22 there was a different installation file which specifically didn't hardware remap the kanji key etc to ctrl and alt.

I use QPOBox and need to use the Kanji key for starting it. But no matter what I do I can't remap the remapped Alt in 1.23 back to F21.

Solution? Should I install the real KeyHelper? Or is there gonna be a 1.23ja version too?
maslovsky
QUOTE(rehorrericha @ Nov 4 2005, 04:24 PM)

With version 1.22 there was a different installation file which specifically didn't hardware remap the kanji key etc to ctrl and alt.

I use QPOBox and need to use the Kanji key for starting it. But no matter what I do I can't remap the remapped Alt in 1.23 back to F21.

Solution? Should I install the real KeyHelper? Or is there gonna be a 1.23ja version too?

Actualy I forgot about those keymappings smile.gif I think I'll have to buiod a separate Japanese kernel without remapped keys.
maslovsky
QUOTE(chiark @ Nov 4 2005, 02:15 PM)
hats off to Maslovsky- excellent work!

Could you please tell me where the latest and greatest LibSDL giving best performance on the C1000 could be found?

Should be in the main feed soon.
zmike
Just a quick question for your early adopters - Does TextMaker-2002 run under the 1.23 ROM?
stbrock
QUOTE(zmike @ Nov 4 2005, 10:07 AM)
Just a quick question for your early adopters - Does TextMaker-2002 run under the 1.23 ROM?

I got a segmentation fault at the very end of the ipkg installation, but ignored it and TextMaker has been running fine after a reboot. It is important to install the Hi-Res update ipkg (available at the TextMaker web site) or TextMaker may be erratic or hang, at least on a C1000.

All in all, I've found 1.23 highly reliable and polished, and with Meanie's work there are now very powerful addons that install easily, well configured. Hats off to Maslovsky!
wowo123
I have just installed the new ROM on my C860 and like it very much. Seems to run a little bit faster then 1.22.
Finally I created a NAND-Image and restored the 1.22-version to backup some additional data. When now trying to restore the NAND-image of 1.23, I always get Restore ...failed format error. I think the problem is the new 32MB root partition. I tried bams suggestion and did a factory restore in the service menu, but same error. So what's the exact procedure for a working NAND-restore?
gsgmx
Hi,

made yesterday the switch to 1.23 on my c1000.

Great! Thanks alot Anton.

One point i can・t get to run as expected is iptables.
Neither by hand myself nor with the simple snowfence.
Generally it works, but missing is the iptables state module.
By design?

CODE
# iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables v1.2.11: Couldn't load match `state':/usr/lib/iptables/libipt_state.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.  

These modules can be found:
CODE
# ls -al /usr/lib/iptables/
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root            0 Nov  4 13:41 .
drwxr-xr-x    8 root     root            0 Nov  4 13:41 ..
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           36 Nov  4 13:41 libipt_DNAT.so -> /usr/lib.rom/iptables/libipt_DNAT.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           42 Nov  4 13:41 libipt_MASQUERADE.so -> /usr/lib.rom/iptables/libipt_MASQUERADE.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           40 Nov  4 13:41 libipt_REDIRECT.so -> /usr/lib.rom/iptables/libipt_REDIRECT.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           40 Nov  4 13:41 libipt_standard.so -> /usr/lib.rom/iptables/libipt_standard.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           35 Nov  4 13:41 libipt_tcp.so -> /usr/lib.rom/iptables/libipt_tcp.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           35 Nov  4 13:41 libipt_udp.so -> /usr/lib.rom/iptables/libipt_udp.so                                          

I checked the different iptables ipks from the feed, nothing there neiher.

Could i compile the missing module myself? If so -- sorry -- how?

Like preinstalled Opera very much. On original i had instelled 7.55 now we have 7.25. Does anybody know which difference exists between these two?

TiA
Georg
fry
I'm a first time user of Cacko rom (Cacko 1.23 full) - I installed it a couple of days ago on my C1000 which is also my first Z.
Below are my first impressions - at length.

The installation itself worked without a hitch (32M root, clean user are etc) and I kept no trace of the previous rom (trisoft/sharp) or apps on the SD card. The 1G SD card (SanDisk) is permanently kept in the machine.

For the apps I used the mirror feed from http://web.mol.ru/~zaurus/feed/.

I couldn't connect w the WiFi card (Pretec CompactWLAN 802.11b). The card took a very long time to initialize but only sometimes became usable; not very often. This card works almost flawlessly w the sharp rom: I use it w Kismet, Opera etc.
That's why I made a feed directory on the SD card & put all I wanted there.

The apps install fine (GUI or cmd line). I used only apps from this feed: opie reader, kismet, kismet-qt, wellenreiter etc. They worked ok. I installed only a few apps not mentioned here on the SD card - most of them & all libs in the main memory.

Wellenreiter could use the card every time without problems but it would only start from the cmd line - never from the icon. If left on for a long time it would run out of available memory thus needing a reboot. I put the file logs/capture on a usb hdd w powered hub - no problems. The same if no capture was enabled. This may be a wellenreiter specific problem - don't give up reading just yet.

Kismet qt & terminal versions both seemed to run ok as usual.

Now - there was a real problem when I tried to use the machine without the external power, only on battery. I must point out that it wasn't over/underclocked & the battery was always over 75% (75 to 100) charged according to the battery applet.
Backlight at minimum on battery, suspend after 30 min. There was no active screensaver and no network card inserted.

When I removed the external power the screen went blank for a second and come back for two-three seconds only to go blank again by itself sometimes or the first time I would touch a key or the screen. This was repeatable with only opie reader running.
Different things happened after this depending on my actions :P
- If I plugged the power back in it would resume work "normally" without touching the power button.
- If I pressed the power button briefly it would sometimes flick on for a second or not then go blank again. It would not start anymore from the power button - external power or not. Reboot needed.

Reboot w external power would be ok.
Without it would go blank at the first fullscreen splash or immediately after that when showing the clock. Plug in the power and it would repeat the above.

The only app kept in memory was opie reader. The battery cover was closed & the switch properly set. I checked repeatedly.
I didn't see anybody having this problem yet and I wonder if there is anything one would care to suggest.

As another experiment I restored a full NAND backup made before Cacko install and I'm waiting to see if the problem would appear w the previous sharp rom. I also restored my SD card contents w apps & whatnot. It's been already an hour and everything worked fine through a few suspend resume cycles. I'll play for a while w the network card and see if it causes any problems.

Leaving aside this problem it looks like a very thorough job, thanks Anton.

On another subject: are the Cacko sources available from somewhere w or without instructions for setting up a development environment?

TIA,
Fry
wowo123
hallo fry,

the problem with NAND-backup doesn't occur with backups, you made before cacko 1.23-install, but with NAND-restore AFTER installing the new rom. After experiencing that problem, I could restore my old NAND-backup from version 1.22 without problems. But now I'm back to the old version because my backup from 1.23 will not restore mad.gif
fry
QUOTE(wowo123 @ Nov 6 2005, 03:44 AM)
... now I'm back to the old version because my backup from 1.23 will not restore ...

Hi wowo123,

I didn't make any NAND backups while v1.23 was installed so I can't tell if they would restore or not.

With the restored sharp NAND everything works as before - no problems w suspend/restore even if I use the network CF (any mode). Didn't need to reboot since the restore.

One other thing I forgot to mention for v1.23:
The Settings->Netwok->Current tab would only work for less than a second when connected. It would not refresh any dynamic info; only some of the static text.

Fry
cybersphinx
QUOTE(fry @ Nov 6 2005, 04:22 AM)
When I removed the external power the screen went blank for a second and come back for two-three seconds only to go blank again by itself sometimes or the first time I would touch a key or the screen. This was repeatable with only opie reader running.
Different things happened after this depending on my actions  tongue.gif
- If I plugged the power back in it would resume work "normally" without touching the power button.
- If I pressed the power button briefly it would sometimes flick on for a second or not then go blank again. It would not start anymore from the power button - external power or not. Reboot needed.

That's a problem I have also encountered - when you use the lowest brightness setting, sometimes the backlight gets switched off completely. Just use Fn+4 (increase brightness) and you should see something again. Took me a while to figure that out.
cdarek
Thank you Anton !!!
Great work again.

...  Wireless:
    - New Socket WiFi card (with Agere Hermes II chipset) is supported (OpenKey WEP only)

Does the above info mean that I can use my Linksys WCF54G wireless card. I tried to but with no luck - but my experience with wifi on linux is null so it might be the reason.
Flandry
QUOTE(cybersphinx @ Nov 6 2005, 06:35 PM)

That's a problem I have also encountered - when you use the lowest brightness setting, sometimes the backlight gets switched off completely. Just use Fn+4 (increase brightness) and you should see something again. Took me a while to figure that out.

Yes, that's a well-documented and long-standing problem with Cacko ROM. I remember it really had me freaked out the first time i encountered it. Once you're aware of it, it's just a nuisance.

Regarding the sdl lib... does the best version depend on our Zaurus model? I seem to recall that the new clamshells have a different graphics chip, so i assume that means a different optimized library.
maslovsky
QUOTE(wowo123 @ Nov 4 2005, 07:07 PM)
I have just installed the new ROM on my C860 and like it very much. Seems to run a little bit faster then 1.22.
Finally I created a NAND-Image and restored the 1.22-version to backup some additional data. When now trying to restore the NAND-image of 1.23, I always get Restore ...failed format error. I think the problem is the new 32MB root partition. I tried bams suggestion and did a factory restore in the service menu, but same error. So what's the exact procedure for a working NAND-restore?

Did you try to restore root partition size to the default value?
maslovsky
QUOTE(cybersphinx @ Nov 6 2005, 09:35 PM)

It would have taken you much less time if you've read Cacko FAQ smile.gif
maslovsky
QUOTE(cdarek @ Nov 7 2005, 12:55 AM)
Thank you Anton !!!
Great work again.

...  Wireless:

Does the above info mean that I can use my Linksys WCF54G wireless card. I tried to but with no luck - but my experience with wifi on linux is null so it might be the reason.

What chipset does your Linksys WCF54G card use? If it's II.5 - it's NOT supported, the driver only with I and II revisions.
maslovsky
QUOTE(fry @ Nov 6 2005, 05:22 AM)
On another subject: are the Cacko sources available from somewhere w or without  instructions for setting up a development environment?

Actualy there is no such thing as "Cacko ROM sources". Sharp applications are used as is and they don't come with the source code. Third-party applications are typicaly GPL or freeware and their sources can be found elsewhere. Application that I wrote myself and also GPL and if you need particular sources for any application - just let me know - I sometimes may just forget to upload them..

You can use standard Sharp SDK to build applications for Cacko ROM (as well as for any Sharp-based ROM)
maslovsky
QUOTE(Flandry @ Nov 7 2005, 08:51 AM)
Regarding the sdl lib... does the best version depend on our Zaurus model?  I seem to recall that the new clamshells have a different graphics chip, so i assume that means a different optimized library.

You need to install libsdl_1.2.5-bvdd... from the Cacko feed for CxK models or libsdl_1.2.5-slzaurus20041025 for C7x0
maslovsky
QUOTE(gsgmx @ Nov 5 2005, 12:07 AM)
By design?

You need iptables-extra package from the Cacko feed.
cybersphinx
QUOTE(Flandry @ Nov 7 2005, 07:51 AM)
Yes, that's a well-documented and long-standing problem with Cacko ROM.  I remember it really had me freaked out the first time i encountered it.  Once you're aware of it, it's just a nuisance.
Not just Cacko, I had it on the Sharp ROM.

QUOTE(maslovsky @ Nov 7 2005, 10:06 AM)
Was it in there... well, I don't really remember... about 18 months ago? (And I didn't use the Cacko ROM then smile.gif)
wowo123
QUOTE(maslovsky @ Nov 7 2005, 08:03 AM)
QUOTE(wowo123 @ Nov 4 2005, 07:07 PM)

Did you try to restore root partition size to the default value?

Yes. I also tried a completely new 1.23-ROM install to overwrite it with the restore of the last NAND-backup. Always the same error. As I have stored two different versions of 1.23-Nand-backups with the same behaviour there cannot be a temporary error with the backup-file. But I can (fortunately!) always restore an old version 1.22 NAND-backup file.
Can you confirm, that the NAND-restore worked properly for you after switching to the new rom?
maslovsky
QUOTE(wowo123 @ Nov 7 2005, 01:50 PM)
Can you confirm, that the NAND-restore worked properly for you after switching to the new rom?

Actualy, I never use NAND Backup/Restore - I just flash a ROM and restore a backup made in Qtopia
craigtyson
QUOTE(maslovsky @ Nov 7 2005, 11:04 AM)
QUOTE(wowo123 @ Nov 7 2005, 01:50 PM)

Actualy, I never use NAND Backup/Restore - I just flash a ROM and restore a backup made in Qtopia

Same here, its worked for me 2 or 3 times in the past.
fry
QUOTE(cybersphinx @ Nov 6 2005, 02:35 PM)

Thanks cybersphinx,

I always use it on the lowest brightness setting when on battery.
But I didn't try that one, I guess it was too obvious laugh.gif
fry
QUOTE(maslovsky @ Nov 7 2005, 04:06 AM)

True, I often read the FAQs but I guess I was too anxious to try it out cool.gif

And thanks for the SDK related answer too,
Fry
gsgmx
QUOTE(maslovsky @ Nov 7 2005, 10:15 AM)
QUOTE(gsgmx @ Nov 5 2005, 12:07 AM)
By design?

You need iptables-extra package from the Cacko feed.

Thanks Anton,
but sorry thats only part of the picture, i posted wrong.

What i did first, before posting:
try iptables - no state
install iptables-extra - still no state, different msg (see below)
thought maybe some of the buildin iptables is wrong, so installed some of the other (lite)iptables (don#t remember which it was) ipk from the feed - trial and error. Was error, so do a restore of the system.

After the restore i forgot to install iptables-extra again.
I posted the wrong error first.

Now this is what happens when i try the state-rule after having iptables-extra installed
CODE
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.

I'm new to iptables, until now i use most times fw routers.
I thought give my debian sarge system a try, it has iptables 1.2.11 too.

On Debian
CODE
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

works immediately and with lsmod i find ip_conntrack and ipt_state as addtional modules loaded. They exist both for the 2.6.12 as the 2.4.27 kernels on the debian system, but on the ZAURUS i can't find any file of that name and they are neither loaded by the iptables command nor can i modprobe/insmod/... them.

So there is still something missing ....

TIA George
Ragnorok
- I did a little testing with iptables and had no troubles, but I admit it was only a little. If'n I'm allowed to test again after this debacle I'll be more diligent here. (little boy pout)
- First thing I ran into was the "minimum backlight" bug. It's annoying, truth tell, because I want to run on mimimum as well, but there are so many nice things about Cacko that I'll take next-to-minimum brightness without any problem at all. (wide grin)
- I did a lot of testing with WiFi and BT. After learning how to use the Network application to configure BT correctly, I never had the slightest problem connecting with either one using Cacko. The Sharp ROM never used my Symbol card correctly, not even once, and BT with the Sharp ROM was an exercise in frustration on the best of days.
- Wellenreiter was a flakey beast with Cacko, but it worked the majority of the time, and I never used it often enough to experience the issue given. I'd be more inclined to think it's that application than Cacko, but I never used it under Sharp because it wouldn't use my WiFi card at all.
- Kismet's GUI never worked right in testing, but I considered that a configuration issue and not an incompatibility; for instance, the first thing I do after installing Cacko is to give root a password, then remove ALL from the sudoers file for user 'zaurus', and the GUI might not like that. Kismet itself was a pain to configure, but once set up it ran on the command line without the slightest glitch. Since I can't run BT & GPS at the same time, anyway, I prefer Kismet's information to Wellenreiter's, anyway. (shrug)
- I flashed this thing numerous times and had zero difficulty with installation. Never tried a NAND restore, though I have a handful of them lying around. (grin)
- I used libSDL_1.2.6-zports-5_arm.ipk for all testing and had no troubles with a variety of games. Don't know if that's the best version, but it worked reliably, and that's something. (snicker)

- I did have a problem, though. I tried out "Lite" last night, because I don't want NetFront or the default Sharp Apps, but I couldn't get Opera, iptables, or Kino to work. It's possible I was using the main feed by accident ... but I gave up and reflashed to "Full" because that stuff essentially works "out of the box", along with who knows what else that I'm used to having around now 'cause I always tested the full version. (snicker)

- Now, however, I have another "problem". The "ROM" part of Cacko is under /usr, which is a cramfs so I can't write there. I want to remove NetFront, all the Sharp Apps, Migration, and whatever else strikes my fancy. What's the best way to go about that? I have zero familiarity with cramfs, except that it's a compressed file system. I thought jiffs2 was already compressed? I can only imagine cramfs is higher compression, which is how Anton gets so much in a paltry 32MB. But I still want to re-organize it ... and I'd rather fiddle with the cramfs than the hassle of re-installing and re-configuring everything again. That's getting a touch old of late. (cheshire grin)
- My biggest fear is it's not possible. I'm happy to boot without the GUI to do it, but if it's loading files from there just to boot up, I'm not going to be able to replace that cramfs. Then I have no recourse but to try "Lite" again. That wouldn't be the most desirable scenario.

- Thanks for your time...
speculatrix
I wish to try a VPN package for my SL-C860 which is running the excellent cacko-1.23-heavy release.

I need the tun/tap kernel modules for it. Please can someone let me know if these are in a feed somewhere?

thanks
Paul
maslovsky
QUOTE(gsgmx @ Nov 8 2005, 05:39 PM)

iptables modules package maybe?
maslovsky
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Nov 8 2005, 08:41 PM)
I wish to try a VPN package for my SL-C860 which is running the excellent cacko-1.23-heavy release.

I need the tun/tap kernel modules for it. Please can someone let me know if these are in a feed somewhere?

thanks
Paul

Just search the forums and you'll find viperin-z package, including kernel modules
maslovsky
QUOTE(Ragnorok @ Nov 8 2005, 07:48 PM)
- Kismet's GUI never worked right in testing,

I have to start kismet_server manualy before using Qtopia kismet client

- I used libSDL_1.2.6-zports-5_arm.ipk for all testing and had no troubles with a variety of games.  Don't know if that's the best version, but it worked reliably, and that's something.  (snicker)

There is a bvdd optimized version in the feed, which is supposed to be faster.

- I did have a problem, though.  I tried out "Lite" last night, because I don't want NetFront or the default Sharp Apps, but I couldn't get Opera, iptables, or Kino to work.

The main feed has been updated yesterday, you can give it another try.

- Now, however, I have another "problem".  The "ROM" part of Cacko is under /usr, which is a cramfs so I can't write there.

Actualy it's a squashfs image, which provides for even better conpression. It's not trivial to modify it directly on Zaurus.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(maslovsky @ Nov 4 2005, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE(rehorrericha @ Nov 4 2005, 04:24 PM)

Actualy I forgot about those keymappings smile.gif I think I'll have to buiod a separate Japanese kernel without remapped keys.

Are you planning to build the Japanese kernel, or is this task not current?
gsgmx
QUOTE(maslovsky @ Nov 8 2005, 08:31 PM)
QUOTE(gsgmx @ Nov 8 2005, 05:39 PM)

iptables modules package maybe?

Hi Anton,

would be great if it were.

The only iptables-modules i can find are:
iptables-modules-2.4.20_1.23-lite-1_arm.ipk (and ...2.4.18_...)
both are "lite" so i assume they are for the lite kernel.
Anyhow i took it from the cacko.biz/cacko/feed/ manually, and browsed thru the ipk archive with mc. I can locate within there only the exactly same kernel modules as are already in the
/lib/modules.rom/2.4.20/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/

In
/lib/modules/..../netfilter/ on the zaurus i find same named links to the files in the above dir.
E.g. ipt_REJECT.o links to
/lib/modules.rom/2.4.20/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_REJECT.o

Would i install the lite ipk these links would be replaced by the files from the ipk. Still no ip_conntrack.o and no ipt_state.o as the ipk doesn't have them.
Would i them deinstall this ipk again, the files will be removed but the links won't be restored,
Thats what happened when i installed one lite ipk in my first trial, see my previous post.
So i will not try the lite iptables-modules. Is there some other ipk where the missing modules could be found?

regards,
George
speculatrix
QUOTE(maslovsky @ Nov 8 2005, 07:33 PM)
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Nov 8 2005, 08:41 PM)

thanks
Paul

Just search the forums and you'll find viperin-z package, including kernel modules

When I did a "ipkg list | grep -i vpn" I saw it, didn't realise it included the kernel modules. I'll give that a go, thanks!
Ragnorok
QUOTE(maslovsky @ Nov 8 2005, 06:44 PM)
- Now, however, I have another "problem".  The "ROM" part of Cacko is under /usr, which is a cramfs so I can't write there.

Actualy it's a squashfs image, which provides for even better conpression. It's not trivial to modify it directly on Zaurus.

- Not trivial is fine with me, as long as it's even possible. (grin) I have Linux boxen at my disposal ... if it's a matter of copy - update - replace I'm all over that. I'll poke around the forum here and see what I can see. I'm just worried about links being lost and suchlike since this is "the ROM", as it were.
nathanwms
I recently flashed 1.23, nice job Maslovsky, and the overclocking menu appears to be different than in 1.22. Is this the way it is supposed to look? If not, how can I fix it? If no quick fix I'll reflash, but I was hoping for an easier solution.

Click to view attachment
speculatrix
has the kernel used (SL-C860) got support for the pressure-sensitive screen, so that petite-peinture will do its extra magic?
maslovsky
QUOTE(gsgmx @ Nov 9 2005, 12:34 AM)
Thats what happened when i installed one lite ipk in my first trial, see my previous post.
So i will not try the lite iptables-modules.  Is there some other ipk where the missing modules could be found?

regards,
George

I'll check tomorrow ifsome of the modules are still missing from the package.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.