Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Won't Work With The Usb Host?
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 General discussions
OttoAcuna
Hi everyone,

Me again, sorry for so much questions, with Cacko for 3100 it appears that I would finally get around getting my new Z. I ask so much because with our devaluation rate (500 local currency per $), the new Z is a lot of money.

What are the limitations of the USB host connectivity, I ve read that storage, network and bluetooth USB devices will work. What would not?

Regards,

Otto
San Jose, Costa Rica
GadgetGuy
QUOTE(OttoAcuna @ Nov 1 2005, 03:26 PM)
Hi everyone,

Me again, sorry for so much questions, with Cacko for 3100 it appears that I would finally get around getting my new Z. I ask so much because with our devaluation rate (500 local currency per $), the new Z is a lot of money.

What are the limitations of the USB host connectivity, I ve read that storage, network and bluetooth USB devices will work. What would not?

Regards,

Otto
San Jose, Costa Rica

Pretty much everything works. Sometimes (in most cases) out of the box (plug and play) sometimes you have to install or compile a driver
bluedevils
I thought there was a limitation that the usb host was not good for providing power. I think I read one thread where 6000s were able to power some really small HDDs, but the clamshells needed external power.
GadgetGuy
QUOTE(bluedevils @ Nov 1 2005, 04:29 PM)
I thought there was a limitation that the usb host was not good for providing power.  I think I read one thread where 6000s were able to power some really small HDDs, but the clamshells needed external power.

The usb host has only limited power. True. That is why I use a powered USB hub when needed. No more power problems smile.gif

However in most cases the usb host power is enough. For example for: USB flash, mouse, keyboard, network interface etc.
maslovsky
QUOTE(OttoAcuna @ Nov 1 2005, 11:26 PM)
What would not?

Devices, which don't have Linux drivers.
Meanie
QUOTE(maslovsky @ Nov 2 2005, 06:53 PM)
QUOTE(OttoAcuna @ Nov 1 2005, 11:26 PM)
What would not?

Devices, which don't have Linux drivers.

yep. things like video capture devices or tv tuners come to mind. also anything that requires usb 2.0 speeds will also not work for obvious reasons.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.