QUOTE(Chero @ Nov 24 2005, 07:26 AM)
I haven't installed the new xfree yet, so I don't know what's going on, but :
- did you install it while running xfce ? I can imagine this being a bad idea.
No. I was sane enough to quit X and remove old xfree and reinstall new xfree from the command line
What I would try first :
1. leave xfce (no problem cause you can't even enter)
Not strictly true. xfce starts and loads my session. It seems to function fine, but without the xfce4-panel it makes using it a pita
2. remove .config and .cache from the home-dir
3. try to run xfce again
4. if this doesn't work, reinstall xfce
5. try to run xfce again
6. if it still doesn't work : it probably won't work with the new xfree, so recompiling is an option
OK I'm going to try that later on.
or it's time to try and play with icewm, fvwm, ... .
The thing I don't like about icewm (and matchbox) is that windows can't be moved beyond the boundary of the screen size. Firefox is a major culprit. many of its dialogs are huge and go way off the screen making it difficult to use on those WMs.
As for fvwm, some guy was doing some great work on it a few months back. But because it doesn't seem to have been updated for rc12 I decided to give it a miss for now.
Good luck and keep us up to date.