Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Howto Configure A Usb Ethernet Adaptor
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
desertrat
As USB ethernet adaptors doesn't work out of the box (for me at least) and when I first researched the subject I found nothing, I decided to do something about.

pdaXrom already has driver support for pegasus and rtl8150 based usb ethernet adatptors. Others may or may not be supported, but as those 2 were the only ones I had at my disposal they were the only 2 tested.

To get this working you need 2 new files:

CODE
/etc/hotplug/eth.conf
/etc/hotplug/eth.func

these are based on:

CODE
/etc/hotplug/usbdnet.conf
/etc/hotplug/usbd.func

respectively. However eth.func fixes several typos in the original usbd.func which prevents it from working properly (the process for shutting down an interface hangs).

And 1 modified file:

CODE
/etc/hotplug/net.agent

Basically the original net.agent didn't look for ethX devices, and as both my adaptors appear as eth0 net.agent just ignored them. I essentially duplicated the code which handled the usbdX devices and modified it slightly to work with ethX devices.

The 3 files are in the attachment (remove the .txt extension). Make a backup of the original /etc/hotplug/net.agent (just in case!), then extract the 3 files and copy them into /etc/hotplug/. Modify /etc/hotplug/eth.conf to your liking then plugin your adaptor and enjoy smile.gif

PS If there are easier/better ways to achieve this please let me know!

-- cheers
Antikx
Thank you sooooo much! This is great. I can now use a mouse, kbd and network by plugging in one cable! (I have them plugged into a hub).
anunakin
My USB Ethernet Adaptor is a "DM8511 Pegasus II Ethernet"

This works fine on my pdaXrom 1.10beta1

next connect this on ZHost OTG.... this create eth0 interface and I go up with:

CODE
$dhcpcd eth0

this works fine here!
desertrat
QUOTE(anunakin @ Jan 10 2006, 05:47 PM)
CODE
$dhcpcd eth0

this works fine here!

The whole idea was to automate the thing. Just plugin your adaptor, plugin a cat 5 cable and off you go. No more fiddling with terminals and arcane command line wotsits smile.gif

For those like me who are annoyed that after suspend/resume all your USB stuff stays sleeping here's a quick and dirty fix (my favourite kind of fix tongue.gif )

Create the file /etc/apm/scripts.d/usb with the following contents:

CODE
#! /bin/bash
#
# usb
#
# description: restart the usb subsystem upon resume
#

# See how we were called.

suspend() {
 return 0
}

resume() {
 /etc/rc.d/init.d/usb restart
 return 0
}

case "$1" in
 suspend)
       suspend
      ;;
 resume)
       resume
      ;;
 *)
       echo "Usage: $0 {suspend|resume}"
       exit 1
esac

exit $?

Then:
CODE
chmod 0744 /etc/apm/scripts.d/usb
ln -s /etc/apm/scripts.d/usb /etc/apm/resume.d/400usb

Now when you resume all your USB should be reinitialised.

-- cheers
Meanie
QUOTE(desertrat @ Jan 11 2006, 05:04 AM)
QUOTE(anunakin @ Jan 10 2006, 05:47 PM)
CODE
$dhcpcd eth0

this works fine here!

The whole idea was to automate the thing. Just plugin your adaptor, plugin a cat 5 cable and off you go. No more fiddling with terminals and arcane command line wotsits smile.gif

For those like me who are annoyed that after suspend/resume all your USB stuff stays sleeping here's a quick and dirty fix (my favourite kind of fix tongue.gif )

Create the file /etc/apm/scripts.d/usb with the following contents:

CODE
#! /bin/bash
#
# usb
#
# description: restart the usb subsystem upon resume
#

# See how we were called.

suspend() {
 return 0
}

resume() {
 /etc/rc.d/init.d/usb restart
 return 0
}

case "$1" in
 suspend)
       suspend
     ;;
 resume)
       resume
     ;;
 *)
       echo "Usage: $0 {suspend|resume}"
       exit 1
esac

exit $?

Then:
CODE
chmod 0744 /etc/apm/scripts.d/usb
ln -s /etc/apm/scripts.d/usb /etc/apm/resume.d/400usb

Now when you resume all your USB should be reinitialised.

-- cheers

I have a similar script for the Sharp ROM. The only difference is that I resume via the hotplug agent script rather than the apm script directly. Maybe you might want to consider doing that as well since you do update the agent script, might as well make it do the suspend and resume as well smile.gif
desertrat
QUOTE(Meanie @ Jan 11 2006, 09:16 AM)
I have a similar script for the Sharp ROM. The only difference is that I resume via the hotplug agent script rather than the apm script directly. Maybe you might want to consider doing that as well since you do update the agent script, might as well make it do the suspend and resume as well smile.gif

Please elaborate smile.gif AFAICS it can't be done from /etc/hotplug/net.agent.

BTW I really enjoyed your installation guide -- hurry up and upgrade to pdaXrom so you can write a similar guide for it smile.gif

-- cheers
Antikx
QUOTE(Antikx @ Jan 10 2006, 11:20 AM)
Thank you sooooo much! This is great. I can now use a mouse, kbd and network by plugging in one cable! (I have them plugged into a hub).

I'm using a D-Link DSB-650TX in case anyone is looking for a cheap USB ethernet adaptor that works under Cacko and pdaXrom.

http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp...tid=DSB%2D650TX

It's ugly but it works.
trichmon
I have a netgear usb nic that is based on the pegasus chipset. I was able to get it running on the sharp rom but even with the scripts listed here my 6000 does not even see that i have plugged anything in. Anyone have a suggestion on where to strat troubleshooting this.? Or does anyone have a netgear usb nic that is working for them?

As always thanks
Todd
desertrat
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 1 2006, 05:53 PM)
Anyone have a suggestion on where to strat troubleshooting this.?  Or does anyone have a netgear usb nic that is working for them?

When you plug in the adaptor what does dmesg report? Eg for my pegasus based adaptor I get:
CODE
usb.c: kusbd: /sbin/hotplug add 2
pegasus.c: v0.4.32 (2003/06/06):Pegasus/Pegasus II USB Ethernet driver
usb.c: registered new driver pegasus
pegasus.c: eth0: ADMtek AN986 "Pegasus" USB Ethernet (evaluation board)
usb.c: pegasus driver claimed interface c3b59c60

And for my rtl8150 based adaptor:
CODE
usb.c: kusbd: /sbin/hotplug add 3
rtl8150.c: rtl8150 based usb-ethernet driver v0.4.3 (2002/12/31)
usb.c: registered new driver rtl8150
rtl8150.c: eth0: rtl8150 is detected
usb.c: rtl8150 driver claimed interface c3a9a6a0

If you do get similar messages, then what does ifconfig -a show?

-- cheers
trichmon
Sadly i get no messages at all.

Todd
desertrat
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 1 2006, 06:34 PM)

With reference to this thread:

http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=19142

are you using the USB-host cable (you should be)? If you are using a USB-host cable and you're not getting any messages then I'm afraid there's not much I can do to help.

-- cheers
Glaive
I've got a D-link DUB-E100 and it worked out of the box with Beta2. Do all of you connect the ethernet adaptors through a powered hub?
desertrat
QUOTE(Glaive @ May 1 2006, 07:04 PM)
I've got a D-link DUB-E100 and it worked out of the box with Beta2.

When you say "worked out of the box", do you mean to say that you didn't have to fiddle about with any of the hotplug scripts etc? What does your adaptor appear as, eth0 or something else?

Do all of you connect the ethernet adaptors through a powered hub?

I don't. I usually only use a single usb device at a time so no need.

-- cheers
trichmon
QUOTE(desertrat @ May 1 2006, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 1 2006, 06:34 PM)

With reference to this thread:

http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=19142

are you using the USB-host cable (you should be)? If you are using a USB-host cable and you're not getting any messages then I'm afraid there's not much I can do to help.

-- cheers

Yup i am using the host cable and i can use it for other stuff, and the nic powers up. I just dont get any messages in dmesg. Maybe I will try to reflash and see if that makes a difference.

Todd
adf
Gee.... I went to a random electronics store near a hotel I was staying at. The only usb ethernet adapter they had was a linksys USB100M. I took it to my hotel room plugged int into the Z host cable and the hotel ethernet cable on my 3100 with (then) beta2 .... and presto I had a connection. No fiddling with anything but the the network gui. Of course, i have installed all kinds of random stuff on myZ while struggling with usb wifi........
desertrat
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 1 2006, 08:54 PM)
Yup i am using the host cable and i can use it for other stuff, and the nic powers up.  I just dont get any messages in dmesg.  Maybe I will try to reflash and see if that makes a difference.

OK just to be absolutely clear, by dmesg I mean the command dmesg & its output and not the contents of /var/log/dmesg (which, AFAICT, never changes after bootup).

-- cheers
trichmon
QUOTE(desertrat @ May 1 2006, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 1 2006, 08:54 PM)
Yup i am using the host cable and i can use it for other stuff, and the nic powers up.  I just dont get any messages in dmesg.  Maybe I will try to reflash and see if that makes a difference.

OK just to be absolutely clear, by dmesg I mean the command dmesg & its output and not the contents of /var/log/dmesg (which, AFAICT, never changes after bootup).

-- cheers

Now i feel even more silly. Your right i was looking in the logs. Here is the output of the dmesg:

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 15
usb.c: USB device 15 (vend/prod 0x846/0x1040) is not claimed by any active driver.
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 15
pegasus.c: v0.4.22 (2001/12/07):Pegasus/Pegasus II USB Ethernet driver
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 16
usb.c: USB device 16 (vend/prod 0x846/0x1040) is not claimed by any active driver.

It sees the device but does not see a driver for it.

Todd
desertrat
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 2 2006, 04:09 AM)
Here is the output of the dmesg:

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 15
usb.c: USB device 15 (vend/prod 0x846/0x1040) is not claimed by any active driver.
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 15
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 16
usb.c: USB device 16 (vend/prod 0x846/0x1040) is not claimed by any active driver.

It sees the device but does not see a driver for it.

What does lsmod show? Is the module pegasus listed? If not try, loading the module manually using modprobe pegasus. If that fails, does the file /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/usb/pegasus.o exists?

What does ifconfig -a show?

-- cheers
trichmon
QUOTE(desertrat @ May 1 2006, 09:37 PM)
What does lsmod show? Is the module pegasus listed? If not try, loading the module manually using modprobe pegasus. If that fails, does the file /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/usb/pegasus.o exists?

What does ifconfig -a show?

-- cheers

/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/usb/pegasus.o does not seem to be there, i guess that would do it.

Todd
desertrat
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 2 2006, 05:53 AM)
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/usb/pegasus.o does not seem to be there, i guess that would do it. 

I believe that file is provided by the package kernel-modules.

-- cheers
Glaive
When you say "worked out of the box", do you mean to say that you didn't have to fiddle about with any of the hotplug scripts etc? What does your adaptor appear as, eth0 or something else?

Just connected the adaptor. No fiddling with hotplug. It just appears as eth0 and works fine.
trichmon
QUOTE(Glaive @ May 2 2006, 12:24 AM)

Just connected the adaptor. No fiddling with hotplug. It just appears as eth0 and works fine.

kernel-modules package did not give it to me. Im going to just start installing stuff and I will report back if i find it.

Thanks
Todd
trichmon
the kernel-module package kills my built in wifi smile.gif so i have to reflash to a backup. Cant find the pegasus.o file anyplace.

Todd
desertrat
QUOTE(Glaive @ May 2 2006, 08:24 AM)

Could you explain how it works? In rc12 through to beta3, if I don't make any of the changes as described at the start of this thread then when I plug in my adaptor nothing happens - ie dhcpcd doesn't get run and hence eth0 doesn't get initialised:

CODE
# ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:4C:00:0C:2B
         BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
         RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
         TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
         RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
         inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
         UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
         RX packets:47649 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
         TX packets:47649 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
         RX bytes:16422062 (15.6 Mb)  TX bytes:16422062 (15.6 Mb)

# ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
         inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
         UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
         RX packets:47649 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
         TX packets:47649 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
         RX bytes:16422062 (15.6 Mb)  TX bytes:16422062 (15.6 Mb)

What am I missing?

-- cheers
desertrat
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 2 2006, 03:18 PM)
kernel-modules package did not give it to me.  Im going to just start installing stuff and I will report back if i find it.

I had a look at the feeds for the various models of Zs. The 3100 feed only has 1 kernel-modules package and it weighs in at 1.6MB, whereas the feeds for the other models (including 6000) has a small kernel-modules package (~600KB) plus several kernel-modules-* packages. So my guess is that only the 3xxx feeds will have the pegasus module (plus it has loads more modules that the older models' feeds don't have).

Oh, and don't even think of using the 3xxx package because they're for the 2.4.20 kernel whereas the other models use a 2.4.18 kernel smile.gif

-- cheers
karlto
Hi trichmon

I compiled the pegasus module for the tosa kernel - no idea whether it works because I don't have this adapter, but it's worth a go. It's not an IPK (forum filters); you'll have to rename it to 'pegasus.o'.

(disclaimer: all care, no responsibility smile.gif )

Karl
trichmon
Thanks for the try karlto. But even if i modprobe it and then hookup the nic I get nothing in ifconfig -a (other than the loopback). I also just tried with a hawkins huf11 that is known to work on the sharp rom ( i think its a realteck chipset) with the same results. I guess that each machine (tosa, akita, etc) has a hit or miss chance of using these out of the box.

Im starting to feel odd man out again with my tosa. Do you happen to use a usb ethernet adaptor (ill buy what ever if know that it works).

Todd
karlto
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 3 2006, 10:36 AM)
Thanks for the try karlto.  But even if i modprobe it and then hookup the nic I get nothing in ifconfig -a (other than the loopback).  I also just tried with a hawkins huf11 that is known to work on the sharp rom ( i think its a realteck chipset) with the same results.  I guess that each machine (tosa, akita, etc) has a hit or miss chance of using these out of the box. 

Im starting to feel odd man out again with my tosa. Do you happen to use a usb ethernet adaptor (ill buy what ever if know that it works).

Todd

I just use the USB cable to my laptop via the cradle, or wireless, so I have no idea what works. None of the USB ethernet drivers are enabled in the default kernel config though; thats probably why the huf11 doesn't work either... dry.gif

I think perhaps that I have missed something with the kernel config for USB - all I changed was adding the pegasus module. It compiled OK, but could be something else required to actually support USB network adapters in general. Can anyone post the kernel USB options for a working implementation?

I presume the module actually loaded successfully? You didn't put it under 2.4.20 as above did you? (Is '/lib/modules/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/kernel/drivers/usb/' on my tosa). Any dmesg output from loading the module? Surely you should plug in the NIC before modprobing the module (most drivers won't load if the hardware isn't present).

I'm sure it can be made to work with not too much hassle (just getting the right driver modules). Not sure why a lot of this stuff is not compiled by default for the SL6000 - probably lack of test equipment.
trichmon
I did put the pegasus.o file in the same place on my tosa as you listed. Below is the dmesg output that talks about this device. It seems to see it and says the driver is loaded. I dont get anything with ifconfig -a .

dmesg output:

hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 4
usb.c: USB device 4 (vend/prod 0x846/0x1040) is not claimed by any active driver.
usb.c: registered new driver acm
acm.c: v0.21:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters

Here is the output of lsmod as well

Module Size Used by Tainted: P
pegasus 11048 0 (unused)
acm 5708 0 (unused)
pxa_bi 21788 0 (unused)
net_fd 25000 1
usbdcore 34456 0 [pxa_bi net_fd]
mousedev 4496 1
usbdmonitor 5216 0
sharp_mmcsd_m 31492 2
usb_ohci_tc6393 24492 0
usbcore 51984 1 [pegasus acm usb_ohci_tc6393]
#

Todd
karlto
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 3 2006, 12:16 PM)
I did put the pegasus.o file in the same place on my tosa as you listed.  Below is the dmesg output that talks about this device.  It seems to see it and says the driver is loaded.  I dont get anything with ifconfig -a .

dmesg output:

usb.c: USB device 4 (vend/prod 0x846/0x1040) is not claimed by any active driver.

Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
pegasus                11048  0  (unused)
acm                    5708  0  (unused)
pxa_bi                21788  0  (unused)
net_fd                25000  1
usbdcore              34456  0  [pxa_bi net_fd]
mousedev                4496  1
usbdmonitor            5216  0
sharp_mmcsd_m          31492  2
usb_ohci_tc6393        24492  0
usbcore                51984  1  [pegasus acm usb_ohci_tc6393]
#                                                             

Todd

Hmm.... well, the drive loads OK, but doesn't actually locate the hardware. Did you try to rmmod the acm module (not sure why it loaded that) before modprobing the pegasus module? Maybe it is blocking it?
trichmon
Tried that, same result. Does it need some sort of usbnet module? or is that all supposed to be handled by the pegasus module?

Todd
Meanie
QUOTE(karlto @ May 3 2006, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 3 2006, 12:16 PM)
I did put the pegasus.o file in the same place on my tosa as you listed.  Below is the dmesg output that talks about this device.  It seems to see it and says the driver is loaded.  I dont get anything with ifconfig -a .

dmesg output:

Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
pegasus                11048  0  (unused)
acm                    5708  0  (unused)
pxa_bi                21788  0  (unused)
net_fd                25000  1
usbdcore              34456  0  [pxa_bi net_fd]
mousedev                4496  1
usbdmonitor            5216  0
sharp_mmcsd_m          31492  2
usb_ohci_tc6393        24492  0
usbcore                51984  1  [pegasus acm usb_ohci_tc6393]
#                                                             

Todd

Hmm.... well, the drive loads OK, but doesn't actually locate the hardware. Did you try to rmmod the acm module (not sure why it loaded that) before modprobing the pegasus module? Maybe it is blocking it?

actually, the driver loaded and if you do a

ifconfig -a

you will see eth0 with no IP address assigned to it so that's why it does not show when you do just ifconfig

all you need to do now is to either get dhcp to assign an IP (if you have a working dhcp server) or assign an IP manually

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.201
you might also need to set some routes and setup resolv.conf, .etc...
all this can be automated using the hotplug mechanism, ie hotplug detects usb thingy being inserted, then loads the required moduile, then configures eth0., etc...
trichmon
Thats sort of the problem. When i ifconfig -a I dont get an eth0 (i only see the lo device).

Todd
karlto
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 3 2006, 04:40 PM)
Tried that, same result.  Does it need some sort of usbnet module?  or is that all supposed to be handled by the pegasus module?

Todd

Same dmesg? My SL6000 shows the same USB modules loaded with the client USB networking (i.e. via the cradle) running, with the exception of acm and pegasus of course. It appears that net_fd is the device (not host) networking.

I have just noticed something with your earlier posts too - you got the same pegasus message before trying the uploaded module as after (and afterward it loaded acm instead!). Maybe the pegasus driver was already there somewhere (perhaps compiled into the kernel rather than a module), and/or you still aren't using the uploaded one?

May as well try the other modules - attached usbnet.o and CDCEther.o
trichmon
your right. If i modprobe up the pegasus mod you compiled i and when its not running i get the same dmesg. Also the same with your two new modules.
Meanie
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 3 2006, 03:13 PM)
your right.  If i modprobe up the pegasus mod you compiled i and when its not running i get the same dmesg.  Also the same with your two new modules.

you definately need the pegasus module, but I noticed a *tainted* status in the previous posts. this means the module was not compiled with the correct kernel parameters.
desertrat
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 2 2006, 11:16 PM)
dmesg output:

Stabbing in the dark:

I notice that in my /lib/modules/2.4.20/modules.usbmap your vend/prod 0x846/0x1040 is listed as using the module usbnet. In contrast both my usb ethernet adaptors are listed correctly as using pegasus and rtl8150 respectively. Maybe that's the problem?

-- cheers
trichmon
my modules.usbmap file does not list those values under vend/prod. So i added a line with those values, and rmmod the acm. I have to admit that Im not sure how or why but the modules.usbmap file is regenerated when i reboot the Z. I have done it twice to be sure.

Todd
karlto
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 4 2006, 07:31 AM)
my modules.usbmap file does not list those values under vend/prod.  So i added a line with those values, and rmmod the acm.  I have to admit that Im not sure how or why but the modules.usbmap file is regenerated when i reboot the Z.  I have done it twice to be sure. 

Todd

Unfortunately that's sorta jumping the gun - setting this up automates loading the correct driver, but you'll probably want to find one that works first! Maybe you have something compiled into the kernel that is overriding the modules, as the pegasus module doesn't appear to be being used at all (even though it loads). Any depmod errors? usbnet and CDCEther are most likely no use - worth a try, but pegasus is what we want.

The dmesg output without loading pegasus as a module:
- connects the device
- claims that there is no driver loaded for the device
- disconnects the device
- loads a pegasus driver from somewhere
- connects the device again
- claims that there is no driver loaded for the device
==> so the pegasus driver is in nowhere-land!

The dmesg output with the module installed:
- connects the device
- loads a modem driver
- loads the pegasus module driver by manual modprobe
==> but the device still doesn't seem to be under the control of any driver...!

The only other snippet of info I see is that you have driver version 0.4.22, whereas desertrat has v0.4.32. Hardly major though when you consider the tosa kernel is 2.4.18 against the later 2.4.20.

@Meanie: I couldn't see any tainted flags in the posts here; can you elaborate, and how would I fix it?
trichmon
Here is a dmesg with the CDCETher, usbnet, and pegasus modules loaded. Im not sure what is needed so I captured the whole thing.

Thanks
Todd
karlto
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 4 2006, 11:02 AM)
Here is a dmesg with the CDCETher, usbnet, and pegasus modules loaded.  Im not sure what is needed so I captured the whole thing.

Thanks
Todd

I have just done a bit of googling, and I think we're barking up the wrong tree.

Judging by the numbers in your dmesg, you have a Netgear FA120. This needs the ax8817x.o driver, which was introduced in the 2.4.21 kernel. The rtl driver isn't in the tosa kernel either.

I will see if I can find a backported patch for 2.4.18...

[Edit]

There is an RTL driver on this forum! See this post. Should work fine for the huf11

The same thread claims to have a backported ax8817 driver somewhere, but also says the USB stack needs backporting as well to compile it! That makes sense because it is a USB 2.0 device. Looking like you might have to abandon the netgear NIC unless an upgraded kernel is available...
trichmon
dont mind getting rid of the netgear or ordering a nic that will work. I grabbed the driver for the huf11 off the other forum and after i insmod it and plug in the nic i get and eth0! Three strange issues the ifconfig lists a starnge mac address for the nic (moslty 00) and the light on the nic does not come on (which it did you before when i plugged it in). Dhcpcd does not pcikup an address. Im going to reflash and try again since i have mucked around with my Z so much trying to get the netgear working.

Thanks
Todd
karlto
QUOTE(trichmon @ May 5 2006, 03:24 AM)
dont mind getting rid of the netgear or ordering a nic that will work.  I grabbed the driver for the huf11 off the other forum and after i insmod it and plug in the nic i get and eth0! Three strange issues the ifconfig lists a starnge mac address for the nic (moslty 00) and the light on the nic does not come on (which it did you before when i plugged it in).  Dhcpcd does not pcikup an address.  Im going to reflash and try again since i have mucked around with my Z so much trying to get the netgear working.

Thanks
Todd

Cool - sounds like that's gotten to the bottom of it. I think the MAC address is set by the driver in some instances (because there isn't actually a proper NIC). I imagine with a little bit of fiddling around you'll have it working soon.
xjqian
i have the same problem as trichmon encountered. The adpator ed under sharp rom. i didn't find usbnet driver, so I suspect that's the culprit. The previously posted usbnet.ipk was corrupted. Anybody can post usbnet.o (for Tosa) for me?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.