Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flash Card Program For Testing Vocabulary?
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Software
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Frederic Bergeron
I just released toMOTko 0.9.2. This is a maintenance release containing 2 small bug fixes (but one of them was important for installing the application). If you're already using version 0.9.1, it's probably not worth upgrading.

Changes:
- Fixed copy-cut-paste bug reported by Kurochka.
- Fixed bug #1872216 : Added test before copying previous data in preinst script.
kurochka
QUOTE(Frederic Bergeron @ Mar 16 2008, 04:52 AM) *
I just released toMOTko 0.9.2. This is a maintenance release containing 2 small bug fixes (but one of them was important for installing the application). If you're already using version 0.9.1, it's probably not worth upgrading.

Changes:
- Fixed copy-cut-paste bug reported by Kurochka.
- Fixed bug #1872216 : Added test before copying previous data in preinst script.

Thank you.
kurochka
Hey, Frederic. How are you? Haven't heard from you for a long while.
What's going on with the project?

Just wanted to let you know that I use tomotko every day while commuting to work. Works great!

BTW, I am thinking of adding N810 to my Z. Is it hard to port tomotko to that platform?
Frederic Bergeron
Hi Kurochka,

I'm fine, thank you! :-) Always a pleasure to hear from you.

I'm still working on toMOTko. I expect to release a new version within one month if everything goes well.

The two main features will be 1) image support and 2) copy/paste/import/export of subtree of data. It's already working fine enough but I need to make more tests and solidify the application a bit. I don't want to release it too early.

About the N810, I have no idea, really. I don't plan to buy such phone at the moment. I don't even know if we can buy and use one in Japan? Anybody knows? I would be curious to try one as many people on the forum seem to like them a lot (some even prefer them over the Z). If other QT applications work on this device, I guess that porting toMOTko would be relatively easy. I don't know though if the screen size (that is probably smaller?) would mandate some significant changes in the inferface design. Anyway, that's certainly something I would like to do to port toMOTko on other platforms eventually.
koan
QUOTE(Frederic Bergeron @ Jun 24 2008, 05:35 PM) *
About the N810, I have no idea, really. I don't plan to buy such phone at the moment. I don't even know if we can buy and use one in Japan? Anybody knows?

Yes, you can buy it in Japan, one of my colleagues has one. It's not a phone, it has WiFi.
Frederic Bergeron
Thanks for the info. I was sure it was a phone so I never took interest in this device. After checking the specs on the web, it really looks cool. Next time I go shopping, I will try to find one to get a real feel of it.
Frederic Bergeron
Just by curiosity, I have embedded a poll in the first page of toMOTko's website so that people can enter how often they use the application. I invite everyone to participate. It takes just a few seconds.
Frederic Bergeron
I just released toMOTko 0.10.0. Take a look at the release note for latest changes and important information before installing.

Next version will have a better interface for specifying sequence orders that will also support image (that's not the case actually). Also, a simple search tool may be implemented.

Enjoy!
kurochka
Great job! Thanks.
Frederic Bergeron
QUOTE(kurochka @ Dec 13 2007, 07:46 AM) *
Do you think it is possible to allow for integration of kanji animations from the following project?

http://www.kanjicafe.com/using_soder.htm

The license is unique; however, it does allow for use of the diagrams in free electronic (not paper) projects.

It could be that outright integration would complicate things (attribution, etc.); however, I do not think creating conditions for users to add diagrams on their own would require attribution, linking to the authors' site and inclusion of the license.

I asked James Rose (the contact person for KanjiCafe) if it would be ok to use the animated kanji images in some toMOTko's glossaries. I thought that writing a reference link to the licence in the glossary's description field would be enough, but unfortunately, it's not. To comply with rule 2 of the license, I would need to show a note like "The animated kanji is taken from KanjiCafe.com according to the licence at http://kanjicafe.com/license.htm" each time I display an animated kanji. Considering the limited space of the Zaurus's screen, I find that too prohibitive and won't use these images in the public glossaries. Nonetheless, anyone is free to use them for its personal glossaries.

Just in case, I asked how much would it cost to use a commercial license of these animated images. I don't think I can afford it but who knows? I will report on that later. Even then, I'm not sure that a commercial license would remove this restriction.
koan
Hi, just recently I was downloading the latest tomotko and I found some nice screenshots in the glossary section.

I was shocked to see a spelling mistake in the Thai screenshot huh.gif I had spent a lot of time checking the spellings. When I checked my original copies I found the same mistake plus it had a few friends.

Please find the fixed glossaries on my webpage at http://www.lyndonhill.com/Projects/thaionzaurus.html or you can catch the individual files here:P.S. Frederic please update the screenshot!
Frederic Bergeron
Done.
Frederic Bergeron
QUOTE(Frederic Bergeron @ Aug 8 2008, 10:14 AM) *
I asked James Rose (the contact person for KanjiCafe) if it would be ok to use the animated kanji images in some toMOTko's glossaries. I thought that writing a reference link to the licence in the glossary's description field would be enough, but unfortunately, it's not. To comply with rule 2 of the license, I would need to show a note like "The animated kanji is taken from KanjiCafe.com according to the licence at http://kanjicafe.com/license.htm" each time I display an animated kanji. Considering the limited space of the Zaurus's screen, I find that too prohibitive and won't use these images in the public glossaries. Nonetheless, anyone is free to use them for its personal glossaries.

Just in case, I asked how much would it cost to use a commercial license of these animated images. I don't think I can afford it but who knows? I will report on that later. Even then, I'm not sure that a commercial license would remove this restriction.

It's confirmed. Even though a commercial license is affordable, rule 2 still applies and I would need to display the license note each time an animated kanji image is shown in toMOTko.

I suggested to modify toMOTko's glossary data format to add a license field so I could display it (using a confirmation dialog) when an end-user imports a glossary into the application but my proposition was judged not enough and was rejected. As I want to keep the design of toMOTko as generic as possible without introducing special cases for particular languages, I won't include the images from kanjicafe.com into my glossary files. もったいないけど人生です。

That being said, I think that nothing prevents an end-user to use the animated images for his personal glossaries. toMOTko has no way of knowing it anyway. For toMOTko, it's just an image like any other.

I even wonder if it would be ok to have a glossary file with hard links pointing to the animated images in some hard coded directory. If an end-user separately downloads and installs the images to the same location, the images would be displayed by toMOTko (as a side-effect). If the images are not found, obviously they would not be displayed. This way, I could distribute glossaries with links to kanjicafe's images without distributing the images themselves. Could this be acceptable and/or legal? Anyone has an opinion on this?
Frederic Bergeron
Another new release of toMOTko (0.11.0) is available. As usual, take a look at the release note for latest changes and important information before installing. Don't forget to answer the poll if you haven't done so yet.

I consider putting my energy on porting the application on Qt4. The idea would be to make it work on the desktop (Windows, Linux, and MacOS) and learn Qt4 at the same time.

Your feedback is welcome.
koan
QUOTE(Frederic Bergeron @ Aug 26 2008, 01:13 PM) *
I consider putting my energy on porting the application on Qt4. The idea would be to make it work on the desktop (Windows, Linux, and MacOS) and learn Qt4 at the same time.

Hi Frederic, thanks for the new version.

I have an application that I wrote in QT3, ported to QT4 to run it on the desktop and now I am
porting it back so I can run it on my Zaurus.

I think you will find porting to QT4 a mixed bag. Many functions changed name, some disappeared.
For some classes you will have to go to a lot of trouble to find a work around and others will be easy.
I recommend avoiding the QT3 support libraries, you won't learn QT4 that way.

Good luck!

Frederic Bergeron
QUOTE(koan @ Aug 27 2008, 01:16 PM) *
I think you will find porting to QT4 a mixed bag. Many functions changed name, some disappeared.
For some classes you will have to go to a lot of trouble to find a work around and others will be easy.
I recommend avoiding the QT3 support libraries, you won't learn QT4 that way.

Good luck!

Thanks! The documentation seems to contain very valuable information about how to port application from 2.x to 3.x and 3.x to 4.x. I will read that beforehand to avoid unpleasant surprises. I will follow your advice as I don't care about Qt3. I don't intend to use qt3to4 tool either. I will do the conversion manually in order to see the differences. Hopefully, it won't be too hard to do.
kurochka
Yokatta!!!

The search function, though basic, is great news! I constantly find myself confused by similarly sounding words and need to find what that other word was. This would be helpful. Show alt in the list option is also useful. Now I can choose to see romaji.

It's unfortunate that KanjiCafe is so inflexible. I could suggest showing the copyright notice every time the quiz containing these images is started that should be often enough; however, it seems they are set in their ways. In any case, they distribute the images for free to end-users so I will use them on my own. Any help will be appreciated though. I think distributing glossaries with links without images should work well. There are some precedents with similar approaches (e.g., provision for use of some closed drivers in Linux, Microsoft fonts also in Linux, etc.)
Frederic Bergeron
QUOTE(kurochka @ Aug 30 2008, 06:50 AM) *
Yokatta!!!

The search function, though basic, is great news! I constantly find myself confused by similarly sounding words and need to find what that other word was. This would be helpful. Show alt in the list option is also useful. Now I can choose to see romaji.

I'm glad you like the new version. Now that the Search Tool is there, I use it quite often too.

It's unfortunate that KanjiCafe is so inflexible. I could suggest showing the copyright notice every time the quiz containing these images is started that should be often enough; however, it seems they are set in their ways.

Indeed :-(

In any case, they distribute the images for free to end-users so I will use them on my own. Any help will be appreciated though. I think distributing glossaries with links without images should work well. There are some precedents with similar approaches (e.g., provision for use of some closed drivers in Linux, Microsoft fonts also in Linux, etc.)

I agree with you. Concerning copyrights, I think it would be legal as there would be no image copies involved. However, it would still be a violation of the licence agreement. I don't think that there are pertinent legal consequences against that though, are there? I would not be listed as a good licensee but eh! If that's the price to pay... Anyway, I will think about it and ask advice to as many people as possible.

Meanwhile, if you want to use the images for your own glossaries, it's rather tedious but it's possible. I use this online tool to get the UTF-8 character number associated to a specific kanji so that I can find the corresponding image file. Some kanjis have no images either because no volunteers have done them yet or because they are not jouyou kanjis.

In time, I would like to develop a plug-in that would alleviate this task. It would be an independant component external to toMOTko that you would install separately. toMOTko would detect if it's there or not. If so, it would be possible to invoke a special interface where you will enter the kanji and the corresponding image would be automatically fetched (if it's found). That will have to wait though until I complete the port to Qt4.

By the way, so far, it works fine. I can already see (partially) the Glossary Manager on Windows and Linux.

Updated : Here is how it looks (2008/11/27)

kurochka
QUOTE(Frederic Bergeron @ Aug 29 2008, 05:48 PM) *
it would still be a violation of the licence agreement. I don't think that there are pertinent legal consequences against that though, are there? I would not be listed as a good licensee but eh!

License agreement is just that -- an agreement or contract of two or more parties. In order to use the images, you have to agree to that agreement. If you do not use the images in your application you do not enter into the agreement. Therefore, you cannot violate it by doing to your application whatever you want to.

Copyright is different from license agreements because it does not require your agreement/consent/acceptance. Again you do not violate copyright if you do not copy, distribute, etc. the copyrighted works themselves. There is an argument that by creating a program/function that can have no other legitimate use other than to permit copyright infringement by third parties, you facilitate/infringe on that copyright (e.g., some of the claims in the lawsuits against Kazaa). However, that's an extremely hard argument to prove.
kurochka
I think there might be a bug/problem with 0.11. I uninstalled the 0.10, installed 0.10. I didn't notice any recompilation of the study lists. When I tried to start a quiz, there was a request whether I wanted to resume the old one. Whether I said yes or no, the application would shut down.

Then I went to the Preferences section and did something to Revealing sequence (I think) and the application started working. Maybe default settings after the upgrade made it touchy.

Also, could you give some explanation, examples of the new revealing sequence dialog. Should I make it something like a+c+b? Is just a enough? If just a is enough, what will be revealed after a?

Just saw a pic on http://tomotko.sourceforge.net/img/screens...erencesQuiz.png

I think + means "together with" and > means "before/earlier".

Could you put in some default sequences that we can choose from? When I just installed the application the sequence field was empty.
Frederic Bergeron
After reading all your message, I think the shutdown occurred because you had no Revealing Sequences defined. Indeed, toMOTko could not proceed to resume the quiz because it didn't know where to start (which fields to reveal first). That's odd because there should have been 3 sequences defined by default after installing 0.11.0 :

a > c+e > b+d (this one should be checked)
a+e > c > b+d
c+e > b > a+d

Also, toMOTko would not allow you to close the Preferences dialog if you delete all the Revealing Sequences. So you're forced to define at least one.

If you don't mind, could you compress and send me (by email) the directory /home/zaurus/.toMOTko-before0.11.0 if it exists. As the name implies, it's a copy of your data before you install the latest version. This way, maybe I can reproduce and fix the bug.

About the Revealing Sequence, I think you understand pretty well. Just in case, here is an extract from the Preferences page of the Online Help (found on the website or directly in the application if you click the question mark in the upper right corner next to close button) :

A revealing sequence determines which fields will be shown by the Quiz when asking a question and in which order they will be revealed. A revealing sequence is expressed as a character string similar to a mathematical expression. Each letter corresponds to a specific field of the Quiz as shown in the picture on the left. Between each letter, either a junction (+) operator or an iteration (>) operator is used.

For example, let's take a look at the following revealing sequence : a+e > c > b+d.

a+e means that the Quiz, when asking a question, will start showing the source language's term field (a) and the image field (e) (if there is one defined for the current term). Then, if the Eye button is clicked, the target language's term will be revealed . If the Eye button is clicked again, the target language's Alt./Phon. field (b) and Comment field (d) will be revealed.

When all fields are revealed, if Eye button is clicked another time, the Comment field will be expanded. If the Eye button is clicked again, the Comment field will be minimized.

If you have a Revealing Sequence that is only a, only the field (a) will be shown by the Eye button. The other fields can be shown if you click on them individually.

I hope that clarifies. I know it's a little bit more complicated than before but it's also more flexible. If I had kept the previous strategy (using simple checkboxes), it was becoming too cluttered because of the additional combinations that the image field brings.
koan
It's unfortunate that KanjiCafe is so inflexible.

There is a better solution, unfortunately I have not had enough time to pursue it yet.

Wikimedia has a project to generate diagrams for stroke order for CJK characters: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:...e_order_project

It's already used in Japanese wiktionary, for most kanji you can find a nice diagram showing the strokes. They haven't drawn all the diagrams but I am fairly confident they will finish the project.

I noticed this because I started looking into converting Japanese wiktionary for zbedic. Reading through wiktionary dumps is quite challenging; some people have already written parsers; I found quite an advanced one and downloaded the source but have not had the time to investigate it (it's not a simple matter to just run it and generate output).

What needs to be done is
  1. Write a parser to go through wiktionary and find linked kanji
  2. Script to download kanji diagrams from wikimedia (only links are in wiktionary)
  3. Script to cut diagrams into separate frames, resize them and make an animgif (toMOTko can handle GIF89 right ?)
  4. Script to generate flashcard file with pictures.

Wikimedia project has already generated >300 animgifs but they have about 1000 kanji in total. Most of these steps would be required if you use kanjicafe's images.

If you have more time than me and want to do this work, then please tell me so I don't duplicate the effort. However, I can't give an estimate of how long it will take me. Maybe a very long time!
Frederic Bergeron
QUOTE(kurochka @ Aug 31 2008, 02:22 PM) *
License agreement is just that -- an agreement or contract of two or more parties. In order to use the images, you have to agree to that agreement. If you do not use the images in your application you do not enter into the agreement. Therefore, you cannot violate it by doing to your application whatever you want to.

Copyright is different from license agreements because it does not require your agreement/consent/acceptance. Again you do not violate copyright if you do not copy, distribute, etc. the copyrighted works themselves. There is an argument that by creating a program/function that can have no other legitimate use other than to permit copyright infringement by third parties, you facilitate/infringe on that copyright (e.g., some of the claims in the lawsuits against Kazaa). However, that's an extremely hard argument to prove.

Interesting. As the application is not aware if an image associated to a term comes from KanjiCafe or not, I imagine that I'm not bound to the license agreement.

However, in the case I develop a plug-in facilitating the association between toMOTko and KanjiCafe's images, I could hardly deny that. Or could I? It's arguable as, once again, the plug-in doesn't need to be aware of KanjiCafe in reality. It just needs to convert a kanji to its UTF-8 character code to find a corresponding file that could be KanjiCafe's or not. As a matter of fact, it could even be a CJK stroke order project's file (mentioned by Koan's last post).

QUOTE(koan @ Aug 31 2008, 10:31 PM) *
There is a better solution, unfortunately I have not had enough time to pursue it yet.

Wikimedia has a project to generate diagrams for stroke order for CJK characters: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:...e_order_project

It's already used in Japanese wiktionary, for most kanji you can find a nice diagram showing the strokes. They haven't drawn all the diagrams but I am fairly confident they will finish the project.

Thanks Koan for this link. It looks full of potential.

QUOTE(koan @ Aug 31 2008, 10:31 PM) *
  1. Write a parser to go through wiktionary and find linked kanji
  2. Script to download kanji diagrams from wikimedia (only links are in wiktionary)
  3. Script to cut diagrams into separate frames, resize them and make an animgif (toMOTko can handle GIF89 right ?)
  4. Script to generate flashcard file with pictures.

Why do I need steps 1 and 2? Can't I download the files directly from the website using wget? Maybe they are not up to date?

EDIT: The version of wget I'm using (1.10.2) doesn't seem to digest the asian characters in the urls so the images cannot be downloaded :-( Maybe an alternative tool could achieve that though.

For step 3, Yes, toMOTko can handle GIF89. For this job, ImageMagick is THE tool as mentioned in this page :

http://wiki.flux-cms.org/display/BLOG/Resi...ith+ImageMagick

I tested the procedure and it works well. Result is better when reducing an image but is still very good (a bit blurry) for making an image larger. So writing a script to process all the images should not be too hard. Anyway, as the original size of the images (those found on the website) is 100x100, I think it's already good enough and doesn't need to be resized for toMOTko.

For step 4, it depends... I don't think we necessarily want to "generate" a flashcard file. I think it would be better (more generic) to allow a user to easily associate an animated image to a term whenever he wants (that's the idea of the plug-in already mentioned.)

I think toMOTko could use both sets of animated images.
koan
QUOTE(Frederic Bergeron @ Sep 1 2008, 12:40 AM) *
Why do I need steps 1 and 2? Can't I download the files directly from the website using wget? Maybe they are not up to date?

Flashcards that only show the stroke order are not useful to me. I want to be able to look up a kanji, it's meaning and how to write it.

I don't have a big list of kanji so if I don't parse wiktionary I don't know what files to download.

EDIT: The version of wget I'm using (1.10.2) doesn't seem to digest the asian characters in the urls so the images cannot be downloaded :-( Maybe an alternative tool could achieve that though.

Have you tried representing those characters in escaped UTF8 ? http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/appendix/notes...non-ascii-chars

For step 4, it depends... I don't think we necessarily want to "generate" a flashcard file. I think it would be better (more generic) to allow a user to easily associate an animated image to a term whenever he wants (that's the idea of the plug-in already mentioned.)

As I said, my plan is to make a flashcard file with kanji, reading and stroke order. I'm not interested in a plugin to select kanji images to attach to a term.
kurochka
Frederic,

at the end of your post here (a way back):

http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...mp;#entry170486

you said that you could convert lists listed at this site:

http://www.kahome.co.uk/japa/tango.pl?mo=0...fm=16&to=30

Would you look at this again and see if this is something that you could do?
Frederic Bergeron
Sure, I will take a look at it and try to write a conversion script.
kurochka
Thanks.

I think that you could delete romaji; it is a bad crutch.
Frederic Bergeron
QUOTE(kurochka @ Sep 10 2008, 02:43 AM) *
Thanks.

I think that you could delete romaji; it is a bad crutch.

I agree with you that romaji should not be used. I prefer to keep it though for the sake of other people who think differently.

Here are the Japanese for Busy People and Japanese Now! glossaries. Others will follow.
Frederic Bergeron
Here is the last glossary: Japanese for College Students: Basic.

For the Nihongo Shoho glossaries, it will take more time. As stated in a previous message (a few months ago), I had already began to convert them from a different source (which provided the words in English and Spanish) but it is a tedious and time-consuming task that cannot be fully automated. I will try to put some time on it every week to get over it.

The other glossaries listed on the kahome website are redundant.
kurochka
Are you talking about our discussion in Nov. 2007 (below link) or have you found other sources?

http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...mp;#entry170720
Frederic Bergeron
QUOTE(kurochka @ Sep 12 2008, 04:05 AM) *
Are you talking about our discussion in Nov. 2007 (below link) or have you found other sources?

http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...mp;#entry170720

Yes, exactly.
masanga
Has anyone else encountered this? When I try to install any version of toMOTko on either my 3100 or my 3200, I get an Install Error: "This package seems to depends [sic] on other packages. Please install them, too." An icon appears in the Applications after the attempted installation, but it won't launch. Both Zauri have their original Sharp ROM, and other packages install fine. Any ideas? I feel I must be missing something boneheadedly obvious...

Nick.
kurochka
Have you tried installing the package (libz_1.2.3_arm.ipk) that tomotko depends on?

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ckage_id=256145
masanga
QUOTE(kurochka @ Oct 13 2008, 07:54 PM) *
Have you tried to install the package (libz_1.2.3_arm.ipk) that tomotko depends on?

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ckage_id=256145

Well, I did say I was missing something boneheadedly obvious! Thanks, kurochka - it now works perfectly, and I'm checking out your wonderful glossaries right now... This is a really great project - thanks to Frederic and all who've helped make it possible!

Nick.
kurochka
Great! I am glad that I could help.
Enjoy the tomotko!
When Frederic finishes the port to QT4, we will be able to use tomotko on Linux and Win machines. Yey!

Does anyone know if a QT4 application will run on Android (there is a craze about it now) and Maemo (e.g., N810)?

In any case, I think once there is a QT4 port, we need to start a promotional campaign to advertise tomotko to language learners.
Frederic Bergeron
QUOTE(kurochka @ Aug 31 2008, 02:47 PM) *
I think there might be a bug/problem with 0.11. I uninstalled the 0.10, installed 0.10. I didn't notice any recompilation of the study lists. When I tried to start a quiz, there was a request whether I wanted to resume the old one. Whether I said yes or no, the application would shut down.

A friend of mine had the very same problem today. Using his data, I could reproduce the problem and fix it. At the same time, I fixed another bug that could crash the application when invoking the Search Tool. I will release version 0.11.1 shortly to close these 2 issues.
kurochka
Thanks, Frederic. It is heartening that you are still working on this nice program. Any news about porting tomotko to QT4?
Frederic Bergeron
QUOTE(kurochka @ Nov 15 2008, 05:19 AM) *
Thanks, Frederic. It is heartening that you are still working on this nice program. Any news about porting tomotko to QT4?

Still working on it. Lately though, I didn't have much time so it goes rather slowly. My goal would be to release a first version working on Windows in January (or December maybe). It's already working well enough but the devil is in the details (as they say...) So there are still some bugs to fix and some polishing to do. I would say that it's more than 80% complete.
Frederic Bergeron
Would anyone be interested to test a prerelease version of toMOTko for Windows, please PM me.
Frederic Bergeron
At last, toMOTko 0.11.1 for Windows is available. Should work on your desktop, laptop, and hopefully, on smaller devices too.

Frederic Bergeron
toMOTko 0.11.2 has been released.

I ported the application to Linux and Christian Varga translated it in German. It contains also some minor bug fixes.

And finally, I changed the poll on the website.
Frederic Bergeron
I'm working on the port of toMOTko to Windows Mobile 6 Professional. I managed to compile and build the application and it works fine in the emulator. The problem now is that I don't have any devices running this operating system so I don't know if it really works. If anyone is willing to test the appllication on his device, please PM me.
Frederic Bergeron
A port of toMOTko for Windows Mobile 6 Professional has been released.

I haven't tested it personally but some users told me that it works. If anyone could try it and provide me some feedback and screenshots, it would be nice.
kurochka
I am considering what mobile device will be my next choice. Of course, I will want to have tomotko on it.
Currently, I am thinking of either Android-based or fully fledged Linux.

By the way, I have a N95 Nokia that uses Simbian. Is it too hard to port tomorko to that platform?
Frederic Bergeron
QUOTE(kurochka @ May 6 2009, 01:11 AM) *
I am considering what mobile device will be my next choice. Of course, I will want to have tomotko on it.
Currently, I am thinking of either Android-based or fully fledged Linux.

IIRC, Android is java-based so that implies a complete rewrite of the application. If your phone is based on Linux, most likely that you will be able to install Qt and run toMOTko.

QUOTE(kurochka @ May 6 2009, 01:11 AM) *
By the way, I have a N95 Nokia that uses Simbian. Is it too hard to port tomorko to that platform?

According to this article, it would seem possible to port toMOTko on N95. I would need to port the application to Qt 4.5 first, and then, cross-compile it for the Nokia.

Frederic Bergeron
Just to let you know that toMOTko is now avaible for MacOS.
Frederic Bergeron
QUOTE(kurochka @ Oct 14 2008, 11:58 PM) *
Does anyone know if a QT4 application will run on Android (there is a craze about it now) and Maemo (e.g., N810)?

Hi Kurochka,

I installed the Maemo SDK a few hours ago and managed to build toMOTko and it runs in the emulator. It's not perfect visually but it runs well enough to be usable, I think. Of course, I don't know if it will work the same on the real device but hopefully, it will. I don't know yet how to package the application to distribute it. I will let you know when I have some new info.

Bye!
Frederic Bergeron
Anyone having a Maemo-compatible computer/phone/tablet could try to install these toMOTko deb files and report whether or not it works?

http://www.fbergeron.com/tmp/tomotko-0.11.2-1maemo1_i386.deb
http://www.fbergeron.com/tmp/tomotko-0.11....aemo1_armel.deb

Thanks.

Edit: You may have to install these required dependencies beforehand, from the extras repository :

CODE
libqtcore4
libqtgui4
libqt4-xml
Frederic Bergeron
I have uploaded toMOTko for Maemo in the extras-devel (diablo & fremantle) repository. Anyone can report whether it works fine or not please. Screenshots would be very appreciated.
kurochka
Sorry. I've been missing in action. I'll test and report.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.