Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Working Tomtom Nav On Angstrom
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
speculatrix
QUOTE(Mickeyl @ Jul 27 2006, 06:27 PM)
Which protocol does the tomtom software expect on /dev/ts?

I don't know... maybe you could look in their source code cool.gif

I'd have to ask on the opentom mailing list... at the moment the issue is moot 'cos although I've hacked in a link for /dev/ts, it bombs out due to missing things in /proc, which I will look into when I get time.
LukeLuke
this tomtom that you using is replaced by a TOMTOM device or you are compiling the source ?

http://freshmeat.net/projects/ttlinux/

THANKS

Bye
speculatrix
QUOTE(LukeLuke @ Jul 28 2006, 09:47 AM)
this tomtom that you using is replaced by a TOMTOM device or you are compiling the source ?

http://freshmeat.net/projects/ttlinux/

THANKS

Bye

I'm using an image extracted from a tomtom go 300, and am not using their kernel of course as it's running on a zaurus 6000 with the bera OZ 3.5.4.1 kernel 2.6.17.

also see http://www.opentom.org/Main_Page for info on dealing with TT system files.
LukeLuke
why not use the source ?

Bye
Da_Blitz
Well what do you know, they provide the source code.

i was not expecting that
Mickeyl
Of course they need to provide the source, it's GPL. That goes for the modifications they did to GPL software like Linux, BlueZ etc. but _not_ for the navigation software. This is all closed. The real challenge is to make the closed stuff working on anything which is not a TTG. The source may help a bit to understand what userland is expecting from kernel space though.
Da_Blitz
But is this for the software or the kernel, from what i gather from the pictures its the software however pictures can be deciving

if it is the user space apps then my comment stands otherwise i stated the obvious smile.gif
koen
QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Jul 29 2006, 01:45 PM)
But is this for the software or the kernel, from  what i gather from the pictures its the software however pictures can be deciving

if it is the user space apps then my comment stands otherwise i stated the obvious smile.gif

It's only the kernel judging from a brief look at the unpacked tarball.
Da_Blitz
thats a shame, linux could really do with some good gps software

i did have an idea awhile back about having people submit gps travel logs from thier day to day activities and write a program to stich all the co'ords into a map.

the wierd thing was the code i thoght up for seperating roads from curves would have also been good for hand writing recignition and fingerprint reading
speculatrix
I appreciate it's been a while, folks, but I've been massively busy with building work at my house, and change of job, and my self-repaired 6000 has not been terribly robust, my lack of a working GO prevented exploration (I recently purchased a refurbed GO 500), so I was pretty much stalled.

Anyway, I have very good news on this project. Someone, who wants to remain anonymous for now, came forward and picked up the project using my initial results, and TomTom navigator now mostly runs on the Zaurus running OZ!

There's some aspects still not working, but I hope that some more tweaking and fixes will get it working.

Now, an interesting part of it is that, unlike say the Palm or WinCE version, that the device ID and thus the code for the maps is NOT built into the hardware, as I discovered when I took the sd card from the go 300 and put it into a go 500 and the maps work.

So, if anyone is pretty keen to get TTN on their Zaurus, you can prepare for it thus:
1/ to get a software and map license, buy any old TomTom GO or Classic device with the maps of your country (the old GO 300's are getting quite cheap on ebay)
2/ be willing to drop Cacko/Sharp and backup your machine to prepare to run kernel 2.6, which probably means running OZ or maybe pdaXrom?
3/ get a GPS receiver which will appear to the zaurus as a serial device
3a/ either a bluetooth one (in which case you'll need a 6000W, or an 7xx or 3xxx and a bluetooth adaptor) - /dev/rfcomm0
3b/ a serial one (I forget which 1xxx or 3xxx models don't have properly working serial ports) - /dev/ttyS0
3c/ a compact flash one - serial_cs serial port?
3d/ a USB one (need USB host such as 6000 or 1xxx or 3xxx) - /dev/ttyUSB

Can I hear the sound of eager Zaurians panting for more? I will see if I can get some screenshots.

Now, the point of this exercise is to try and persuade TomTom that to release a Zaurus version since it would be virtually zero effort for them!

Paul
p.s. pics of the inside of a TomTom GO 300 at http://www.zaurus.org.uk/opentom
offthefront
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Sep 30 2006, 10:20 PM)
and TomTom navigator now mostly runs on the Zaurus running OZ!

That's great news. Thanks Paul (and masked hacker smile.gif ) I've been following this with interest, although haven't been able to spare any time to help so far.

How hard is it to get what is needed from a 300? Would I be able to buy a broken one cheap and copy what's need from there.

Sue
speculatrix
QUOTE(offthefront @ Oct 2 2006, 12:01 PM)
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Sep 30 2006, 10:20 PM)
and TomTom navigator now mostly runs on the Zaurus running OZ!

How hard is it to get what is needed from a 300? Would I be able to buy a broken one cheap and copy what's need from there.

You might need the product code which is on a busines-card sized plasticised sheet of paper, it's a set of letters and numbers. If needed you have to put it into http://www.ttcode.com along with the device code (found through one of the menus when running tomtom on zaurus), and it'll give you the activation code to put into the Z.

Basically, you simply take the files from the SD card on the 300 and put them on the zaurus EXCEPT for the file called "ttsystem". The SD card contains maps and bulk data, the ttsystem file contains linux.

I think I explained before, and there is lots of info on the www.opentom.org website, but ttsystem is a special file consisting of a combined vmlinuz and initrd file, for which a small C is used available on opentom website.

*very* briefly, You loopback mount the initrd, and copy that into your /home/tomtom directory. You'll have to change the mount point for the sd card to /home/tomtom/mnt/sdcard (you can always umount the standard one and mount it manually at that position)... then chroot into /home/tomtom then run ttn.

when things work better I'll do a proper write-up.
speculatrix
photo added to http://www.zaurus.org.uk/opentom/index.html
Lurker
Awesome!
::drooooooooool::

Will any map card work with any TomTom unit, no matter the region?
speculatrix
QUOTE(Lurker @ Oct 3 2006, 12:16 AM)
Will any map card work with any TomTom unit, no matter the region?

provided you have the product code for it.

Be warned that most tomtom stuff on ebay is pirated or dodgy, and not in a subtle way, so much so I'm amazed that TomTom haven't sued the arse off ebay for not doing something about it!

From what I've read, once a product has been activated and assigned to a device identity, it can be very difficult to reassign it to another one - I don't know how many times you can do it, so if you buy second hand map card/disks the product code might no longer be valid and switchable to your zaurus. HOWEVER, you can change your Z's device ID, so if you do have the product code, device ID and activation code you should be OK.

I did have the traffic speed camera add-on for my non-broken go 300, and I was able to switch it to my newer go 500, and it works.

the license for the maps make up a significant cost for TomTom, so morally it's important to use a legitimate source!
speculatrix
QUOTE(albertr @ Jan 4 2006, 02:29 PM)
Just curious if it would be possible to run the navigation software from TomTom on the Zaurus? What GIU is used on TomTom GO?
-albertr

it appears that tomtom don't use any standard GUI but have their own drawing libraries and write direct to framebuffer. your kernel and fb driver need to be able to switch to 320x240 otherwise it crashes - this seems to be what was stopped me.
speculatrix
video on youtube of the Z running ttn in demo mode

-- edit: deleted invalid forum html code
harvell
Nice... does it talk to you?
speculatrix
QUOTE(harvell @ Oct 6 2006, 04:09 PM)
Nice... does it talk to you?

Sadly, sound is still in progress.

BTW, I came across the tomtom SDK on sale for $200!
http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDet...187644&R=187644
speculatrix
Things are definitely getting a bit hotter with TomTom on linux devices. Another person has managed to run TTN on a Navman iCN 330, which is an interesting thing to do given that it's a GPS navigation device from a different company and with their own OS but successfully runs linux now!

The last big breakthrough is yet to come, sound, but hopefully the two geniuses working on it (not me!) will crack it.
xamindar
Wow, cool. So what are the requirements to get this working? Buy a tomtom device to get the software and run openzaurus?
speculatrix
I have permission to publish the website of the linux-on-navman site, there's nothing about TTN on it *yet*.
http://www.duff.dk/navman/
speculatrix
QUOTE(xamindar @ Oct 17 2006, 05:08 PM)
Wow, cool.  So what are the requirements to get this working?  Buy a tomtom device to get the software and run openzaurus?

As far as I can see in order to be honest, buy any tomtom device (broken or working) which comes with the product code and device ID, and then www.ttcode.com will give you the map activation code. The software itself does not seem to be device locked. Put the tt files and the maps onto the Zaurus running OZ (although pdaXrom would probably work too provided its kernel 2.6 and gcc3), set up the appropriate chroot'd environment, and then when you run it, enter the activation code for the map. You will need to edit the sysfile/ID file to put in the device ID.
speculatrix
I see that the Nokia 770 tablet is going to have a GPS Nav package soon:
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2397078895.html

maybe TomTom will follow suit?
koen
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Oct 17 2006, 04:52 PM)
although pdaXrom would probably work too provided its kernel 2.6 and gcc3

I wouldn't due to softfloat differences
koen
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Oct 17 2006, 04:42 PM)
I have permission to publish the website of the linux-on-navman site, there's nothing about TTN on it *yet*.

it has OE support as well now (took me like 20 seconds) smile.gif
speculatrix
QUOTE(koen @ Oct 17 2006, 06:14 PM)

do you have a one of these devices yourself?
koen
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Oct 17 2006, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE(koen @ Oct 17 2006, 06:14 PM)

do you have a one of these devices yourself?

I haven't, but I might buy one since I would like to have a device that can log gpx tracks for me. Right now a 770 + bluetooth gps does the job for me smile.gif
speculatrix
QUOTE(koen @ Oct 17 2006, 06:41 PM)
I haven't, but I might buy one since I would like to have a device that can log gpx tracks for me. Right now a 770 + bluetooth gps does the job for me smile.gif

there's a really excellent logger that you simply install on a tomtom go's SD card and it provides GPX track logs (can import into google earth), add POIs etc. http://web.tiscali.it/macri/Event_Logger/
You could almost certainly port it to 770+GPS combo.
koen
If you have gpsd you can have a much lighter solutions:

CODE
#!/bin/sh
echo "PADSV" | nc -w 1 0 2947

Do that every minute and log to a file. When you get home you run this script over the log:

CODE
#!/usr/bin/awk -f
BEGIN {
       printf("<?xml version=\"1.0\"?>\n<gpx version=\"1.1\" creator=\"Koen Kooi\" >\n\t<trk>\n\t\t<trkseg>");
}
{
       printf("\t\t\t<trkpt lat=\"%s\" lon=\"%s\">\n\t\t\t\t<time>%s</time>\n\t\t\t\t<ele>%s</ele>\n\t\t\t</trkpt>\n",$1,$2,$4,$3);
}
END {
       printf("\t\t</trkseg>\n\t</trk>\n</gpx>\n");
}

That should give you a valid gpx file smile.gif
zaurick
I'm searching people who can help me to port the tomtom sound driver module to zaurus.

We have sources of tomtom original driver ,they use the WM8711 soundchip and we use the WM8750 (on SLC3000) (they must not be too different).

I have tried to get all syscall from ttn about the sound, but i can't use them to output sound trough /dev/dsp. sad.gif

I think that the solution is to write a kernel module driver to have the tomtom sound on zaurus, but i don't know how to do that.

Current state is :
- Display of ttn on SLC3000 OK
- Touchscreen is OK
- GPS via any serial gps device is OK
- Planning route is OK

Config:
- SL-C3000
- OZ3541
- Update kernel with QVGA mode
- USB host cable
- Bluetooth D-LINK DBT-120 dongle.(i'm going to try a CF bluetooth card)
- A GPS bluetooth receiver from ebay.

Zomtom is already useable, i have used it many times in my car. biggrin.gif
The only thing that is missing is the sound.

Thanks to Speculatrix and www.duff.dk for their help !

escuse my poor english, i'm french.

I hope that some people can do someting for zomtom sound.

Thanks
Ling
I am interested in this and would like to get the maps. I see several sellers on eBay selling the maps on SD. I assume those are the ones that are not legit. I searched around on eBay and did not see any cheap devices. I did see a number that are selling the TomTom Navigator software (Palm/WinCE) that seems to include the maps. Will this get me what I need. It would seem to be an inexpensive way to get a legitimate set of maps. I am in complete agreement with you that we don't want to take $$ out of the pockets of folks who are following the GPL/LGPL and sharing with the community. I have a Garmin etrex that I have used with gpsdrive, etc. The other solutions were so feature limited that I found it easier just to use the etrex. This looks like a great deal.
Da_Blitz
so how exactlly are they outputting sound? is it a user space driver that maps the mem segment (via /dev/mem) and plays with the mem mapped regs direcctly or is it a oss thing

if its oss i can help as i have just spent some time mastering alsa sound configs with oss and dmixing if its a mem mapped thing then i could posibly help as well as low level hardware is my thing
zaurick
QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Dec 29 2006, 03:11 AM)
so how exactlly are they outputting sound? is it a user space driver that maps the mem segment (via /dev/mem) and plays with the mem mapped regs direcctly or is it a oss thing

They use mapping of memory via mmap.
All sound command are send by ioctl to a special device /dev/barc_snd.
They use their own driver called coolsound, source is aviable as GPL.
if its a mem mapped thing then i could posibly help as well as low level hardware is my thing

Good, it's the last part of porting ttn to zaurus, and when sound is ok, i think that we will can send our work to tomtom company and ask them to release an official tomtom for zauruses.

regards,
offthefront
I think I have all the bits together to give this a go now.
C3100 running OZ (2.6 kernel)
An old TomTom go to get the files from
Bluetooth dongle and bluetooth gps receiver

Are there any detailed instructions on how to get this running? When I tried some the instructions posted earlier on this thread, I didn't get very far, chrooted into /home/tomtom then ran ttn and my zaurus resets. Are there devices I need to create, things like that? Would be keen to have this working, even without sound.

Cheers, Sue
Da_Blitz
coolsound seems to be an alsa device, hmmm

why not symlink from /dev/barc_snd to /dev/oss and then try linking it to the /dev/snd/control or /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p (PCM Card 0 Device 0 playback)

i think that they are just using a diffrent node name/placment so the symlink should fix that, lets hope anyway. now to work out which node it needs to be attached to (my bets on the pcmC0D0p node)

when i ment memorey mapped i ment mapping of /dev/mem and twiddling the bits in user space. looks like they didnt do that (thank god) as emulating that would be a B$%*&%^
speculatrix
QUOTE(offthefront @ Dec 29 2006, 03:20 PM)
I think I have all the bits together to give this a go now.
C3100 running OZ (2.6 kernel)
An old TomTom go to get the files from
Bluetooth dongle and bluetooth gps receiver

Are there any detailed instructions on how to get this running? When I tried some the instructions posted earlier on this thread, I didn't get very far, chrooted into /home/tomtom then ran ttn and my zaurus resets. Are there devices I need to create, things like that? Would be keen to have this working, even without sound.

Cheers, Sue

Hi,
yes, you have to have a /home/tomtom/dev and a /home/tomtom/proc to mimic the real thing.

I'm on vacation at the moment (sad, aren't I, still finding time to visit the forums!), and will post some more info soon as I can!

Paul
Da_Blitz
i assume that there needs to be a bind mount on those dirs (ie mount --bind /dev /heme/tomtom/dev and mount -t proc proc /home/tomtom/proc, thank you gentoo)
speculatrix
QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Dec 31 2006, 01:35 AM)
i assume that there needs to be a bind mount on those dirs (ie mount --bind /dev /heme/tomtom/dev and mount -t proc proc /home/tomtom/proc, thank you gentoo)

you can always copy the /dev directory

/proc can be filled with dummy files

on the c3100 you can repartition and make a really big hdd2 ext3 partition and store the whole of tomtom with maps; on an 860 or 1000 you will need to ensure that the flash card is mounted where ttn can see it, /home/tomtom/mnd/sdcard if I remember correctly.
zaurick
QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Dec 30 2006, 07:54 AM)
coolsound seems to be an alsa device, hmmm

why not symlink from /dev/barc_snd to /dev/oss and then try linking it to the /dev/snd/control or /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p (PCM Card 0 Device 0 playback)

i think that they are just using a diffrent node name/placment so the symlink should fix that, lets hope anyway. now to work out which node it needs to be attached to (my bets on the pcmC0D0p node)

I have tried that but don't work, it's not the same IOCTL.
It look like an alsa device, but they use another API.

I think that we need to make a kernel module for the sound.
Da_Blitz
troust me a bind mount of dev and a remount of proc is the best way to go, learnt that one from gentoo

just dont unmount it, unbind it instead or you will kill both dev dirs which tends to lead to a partially running PDA

hmm, i dont think tomtom would reinvent the wheel for sound, way to expensive if you alread have alsa support. perhaps it checks to see if its a symlink so try the bind mount trick

if not then perhaps there is an undecumented flag/IOCTL they set. run LDD on it and check if they are using the alsa libs or libsound or the oss stuff. this could allow us to do a workaround.

if you do submit this work to them then i suggest you submit a list of ways to make it better and more portable, no 1 bieng to not do any tricky sound stuff wink.gif, and perhaps show them how to package it in an OS independent way (self contained folder with libs in /opt) not that i think they would listen to that
Ling
Speculatrix,

Is there any update on this since Mr (or Ms) X took over the project? I would definitely use this if possible with pdaXii13 and my Garmin Etrex Legend. Seems like it would be a great use for the Z, Thanks.
xjqian
I've bought a Tomtom go 700 specifically for this. I'm also waiting for a how-to.
scoutme
any news? I'd like to test, and I have all I need except a guide...
the2nd
QUOTE(scoutme @ Apr 4 2007, 01:51 AM)

is there a howto to get tomtom work on z?

i own a 910 and want to try it on my c3000

regards
portalgod
QUOTE(the2nd @ Apr 15 2007, 10:39 AM)
QUOTE(scoutme @ Apr 4 2007, 01:51 AM)

is there a howto to get tomtom work on z?

i own a 910 and want to try it on my c3000

regards

A friend of mine just got a TT300, I'm going to try and follow this thread (hopefully I don't croak my Z).

Anyone seen the howto?
speculatrix
I've got OZ 3.5.4.1 running stably on my 3100 now, and I hope to start writing a full how-to. I'm sorry for the relative silence, but I'm genuinely v busy, starting my own business, finding work etc, and sorry for letting people get this close and then not having a definitive guide.
tetrabit
Let's wait for this how-to

QUOTE(speculatrix @ May 13 2007, 01:30 PM)
I've got OZ 3.5.4.1 running stably on my 3100 now, and I hope to start writing a full how-to. I'm sorry for the relative silence, but I'm genuinely v busy, starting my own business, finding work etc, and sorry for letting people get this close and then not having a definitive guide.
speculatrix
OK, a quick update. OZ 3.5.4.1 will NOT run zomtom out of the box because the standard kernel doesn't have the right patches in it to do the QVGA display and some other feature which I forget.

However, Angstrom *will* run zomtom without any patching. I am hoping that with Richard's help we can provide an ipk which builds the environment in which zomtom runs (it runs chrooted) and automagically extracts the required binaries from the standard tomtomGO sd card. Then, you will just need to enter the specific device ID from your GO, and the navigator starts up, you then enter the key for the map.

that is to say, the package will NOT contain any tomtom intellectual property or copyrighted files, so you will be using the license from your GO device.

Richard has done some incredible work here, I've merely become the alpha tester, all credit goes to him for making this achievable.
Da_Blitz
wahhoooo!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.