Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.1.0beta1 Is Out!
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Laze
Sash has just finished building the latest version of pdaXrom - find it at http://www.pdaxrom.org/index.php?showid=8&menuid=11

Quick changelog/fixes:

Hardware:
Hostap drivers
USB CF host support for C7x0/7500/860
Sharp CF camera support for all devices

Software:
atd
gcc 3.4.5
KDE 3.5
mozilla stuffs updated to latest versions
added locales files
fortran compiler added to cross-sdk

Bugs fixed:
dosbox updated from cvs
imake utility fixed
SL-Cxx00 dual pcmcia support
rip
allez hop, dling and installing asap héhé, merci
danboid
I was hoping this release would be the first one to support the C3000 too. I hope the C3000 becomes officially supported in time for the 1.1.0 final release.

dan
willgan
marvelous...
time for downloading and flashing... smile.gif
rip
flashed, rebooted, starx x
and...

3 bash windows
1 login
2 xterm
1 xclock

any help?
pyknite
peut etre qu'un

ln -s /usr/bin/mbsession /home/root/.xinitrc

devrait arranger ca...
rip
merci pyknite, will follow in english for the rest of the community.
unfortunately the fn key "b" for "-" in 6000 keyboard do nothing
in fact fn key doesnt work at all!
pyknite
QUOTE(rip @ Dec 29 2005, 03:10 AM)
merci pyknite, will follow in english for the rest of the community.
unfortunately the fn key "b" for "-" in 6000 keyboard do nothing
in fact fn key doesnt work at all!

no problem wink.gif
pgas
flashed, rebooted, starx x
and...

3 bash windows
1 login
2 xterm
1 xclock

any help?

please put the model you use in your signature, it helps to know what you are using.

for the 6000 see: http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14462
rip
reset & reboot tells me at the end of the process:
mount: special device /home/user does not exist

then at login:
warning: cannot change to home directory
rip
startx works and makes the bash window. exiting this bash window gives that:
loading /etc/sysconfig/keyboard/kernel.map
xaut: error in locking authority file /home/root/.Xauthority
removing empty element from the valid list of fontpath

using 6k thanks
ThC
@danboid : c3000 support will be added as soon as I will have finish with it (btw you can expect at least a second beta of pdaXrom for c3000 before any official support) ...

@everyone interrested in c3000 support : Sorry guys I have some personal problems so I'm not going to work a lot on this at the moment ...
rip
pga, i was assuming this install for 6k was just for rc...
anyway reflashing from g rom and let you know
smuelas
QUOTE(Laze @ Dec 29 2005, 09:54 AM)
Sash has just finished building the latest version of pdaXrom - find it at http://www.pdaxrom.org/index.php?showid=8&menuid=11

This post will be updated ASAP with the changelog and new stuff added.

Just tested it in my SL-6000 and everything is fine.
In fact, I haven't found any difference with the previous, not being the nice messages at boot time.
The problem with "suspend" on CF (microdrive) continues. As I have my own "xmodmaprc" and copy itto /etc/X11/kb/ , nothing new with the keyboard.
All in all, it works very well, modifying some details.

smuelas
rip
the -no-owner worked fine, thanks. the same as smuelas, no big changes, except a quicker responsiveness i think. will test further, waiting for the changelog
ZDevil
Woooow! And KDE 3.5 is there! Thanks to the power X, Laze, sashz and the rest of the pdaX dev team! smile.gif
scheck.r
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 29 2005, 03:04 PM)
Woooow!  And KDE 3.5 is there!  Thanks to the power X, Laze, sashz and the rest of the pdaX dev team!  smile.gif

and Firefox 1.5 ,....... hehe biggrin.gif
pyknite
QUOTE(ThC @ Dec 29 2005, 03:22 AM)
@danboid : c3000 support will be added as soon as I will have finish with it (btw you can expect at least a second beta of pdaXrom for c3000 before any official support) ...

@everyone interrested in c3000 support : Sorry guys I have some personal problems so I'm not going to work a lot on this at the moment ...

j'espere que ce ne sont pas de trop grave probleme...

vivement le portage wink.gif

++
cal
I get way to excited about new ROM releases smile.gif . That being said... WOOHOO! Firefox KDE supertux... biggrin.gif
Laze
Always write in English!
cal
Has anyone else had problems like rip's ? I've got the ROM on a CF card ready to go...

Update: I couldn't wait. I tried it on my C1000... Works great. Now all I need is a KDE install tutorial.
MONVMENTVM
I'm looking forward to see the release notes.

NICE WORK!
smuelas
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 29 2005, 01:04 PM)
Woooow!  And KDE 3.5 is there!  Thanks to the power X, Laze, sashz and the rest of the pdaX dev team!  smile.gif

I've just install the whole KDE !!
This is incredible... everything (almost) is there...
It is posible to configure the desktop in the same way as with the laptop.
Now, really, our zauruses are real small, usable, wonderful handtops!!
Thanks a lot. !!

smauelas
ZDevil
QUOTE(smuelas @ Dec 29 2005, 05:33 PM)
QUOTE(ZDevil @ Dec 29 2005, 01:04 PM)

I've just install the whole KDE !!
This is incredible... everything (almost) is there...
It is posible to configure the desktop in the same way as with the laptop.
Now, really, our zauruses are real small, usable, wonderful handtops!!
Thanks a lot. !!

smauelas

So may I ask how much space does KDE 3.5 take? Is it possible to install it to the main memory?
Also would it be ok if installed in SD as it's slower than CF?
Thanks!
gromituk
Thanks for the new release. I've put it on my 860.

Is the Tasks Applet new? It helps switch between active tasks, but only shows the tasks on the current desktop, and is only available on the first desktop, because the task bar still doesn't work on subesquent desktops (even though maximised windows leave a space for it).

The Package Manager has the default feed "cacko-unstable http://mirror1.pdaxrom.org/rc8/feed" which doesn't work.

I presume mounting the internal flash partitions with noatime is new. Why does mount report /dev/mtdblock/3 as being mounted at /home and /mnt/user? Is the advice in the "documentation" to partition at 50MB correct?
pgas
Is the Tasks Applet new?

no
Why does mount report /dev/mtdblock/3 as being mounted at /home and /mnt/user?

so that the gui package manager see /mnt/user as a partition.

Is the advice in the "documentation" to partition at 50MB correct?

Root partition size does not matter that much, just take care not to install everything in /.
gromituk
Thanks very much for that, pgas. I think I understand the Z's memory config for the first time. I too am interested in knowing the answer to the KDE question!
pgas
KDE (never tried myself):
I suppose you need to install kde-base at least

http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12702

post#10:
just "startx" - to start the default window manager
Then in an "aterm" : "startkde"

post#4:
for start on default (that will init kde right) from clean console:

ln -sf /usr/lib/kde/bin/startkde ~/.xinitrc
startx

maybe have a look at post #15 also
gromituk
I failed to install KDE in a 128M SD card - not enough space!
smuelas
QUOTE(gromituk @ Dec 29 2005, 05:53 PM)

Sorry for the delay in answering.
I have installed the packages for kdebase, kdepim and the libaries. So the whole KDE. I installed at the same time "octave" and "vim" and some other minors. I looked at space in SD before and after and it was around 250-300 Mb.
It runs very well althought some applications (konqueror, kate...), takes its time. In fact, konqueror no more than mozilla; around 45 sc. on the 6000 at 400 Mh. Once on the screen, it seems to me a little bit quicker.
My opinion is that it should be installed on SD. It takes a little while to install but afterwards everything is o.k.
Pgas, I don't recommend to launch the X's in the usual way and the run "startkde". I have tried as a variant but there is a mixture of windows from openbox or icewm and the K's.
I suggest for those using KDE and also Matchbox or Rox or any other to write a few short scripts to launch one or the other. Someting like:

rm .xinitrc
ln -s /usr/bin/mbsession .xinitrc
startx

and call it "mbstart". Then: "chmod +x mbstart" and "ln -s mbstart /usr/bin/mbstart" You see the idea....
The same for "kdestart" and any other wanted.
I used "ksnapshot" to obtain the simple jpg attached.

smuelas
ShiroiKuma
Is there a problem with tar in beta1? I can't make new ipks for pdaXrom using the SDK image natively on the Z.

When I put the files into a temp dir and then create the CONTROL directory etc. as per http://www.pdaxrom.org/index.php?showid=35&menuid=1

I get the following error:
CODE
tar: --exclude=CONTROL: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

I've done this a number of times before and never a problem. It's not the directory thing, because I have it there. And it's not the SDK image thing, because I tried it with the older 3.4.4 image too from RC12 and it gives me the same error.

I can't make any ipks now...

Anyone know what the problem is?
anunakin
QUOTE(gromituk @ Dec 29 2005, 05:53 PM)

Here worked fine, but this uses 180MB, more or less, blink.gif

But I have some questions too!

- How to control LCD backlight?
- mb-applets works in kde, but we can have k-applets?
- Where is power-manager in kde, I cant find in control panel? cool.gif
- How to use [Fn] key combs in kde 3.5?

Hey nice work again, there is a firefox 1.5 ipk too!
TheWalt
Is it safe to asume those with SL-C3100's are installing to the hard drive (KDE that is, not the basic rom)? I just ordered mine as a upgrade to my old 860 because I knew bigger apps were on the horizon.

Thanks in advance
puthreguy
It seems that http://mail.pdaxrom.org/1.1.0beta1/Zaurus-...860/feed.tar.gz
does not contain the kde packages. They need to be downloaded separately from the feed folder.

PuthreGuy
ZDevil
Sorry that it seems many people here (including me tongue.gif ) have great interest in KDE 3.5. So shall we start a new thread dedicated to this? wink.gif
danboid
Does this new pdaxrom release have-

xorg 7.0?

alsa sound drivers?

cups printing?

If not, thats my top 3 feature wishlist for pdaxrom (in no order).

Apps I'd most llike to see ported are audacity, zynaddsubfx, seq24 and specimen- combined you have a a full, portable, lightweight(ish) FOSS music workstation, as well as all that other cool stuff you can already do with it. I will port them myself if no-one beats me to it as soon as pdaxrom goes stable on the C3000.

I can't wait to test KDE 3.5 out. I would've thought it would've been agonisingly slow to do anything more than run a console under KDE in only 64MB of RAM though.Anyone tell me how well konqueror, kword and k3b run? He he! k3b on a Zaurus!! blink.gif

I hope things are OK with youTHC. I was greatly impressed with your xrom xmas beta, it was a great Chritmas present to see a full linux machine running in my palm like that! biggrin.gif

dan
willgan
I need to know..

1. How much ram still available after installing kde?
2. Do i need to enable swap for kde?

I just wanted to use kdepim...

Overall, the 1.1.0beta1 looks good. Firefox startup faster when started for the second time.
All the other WM works fine.

Problem: WindowMaker brighness function doesn't work...

Need to more testing...

Thank you, looking forward to 1.1.0 release...
sashz
ups,
fixed mkipkg here
pgas
On http://mail.pdaxrom.org/contrib you will find an updated cross sdk getting started guide:

http://mail.pdaxrom.org/contrib/docs/cross-compiler.html
MONVMENTVM
and how should the sd card be formatted? i think fat isnt right, is it?
sashz
We hardly got any donations and banner clicks - don't get enough funds for normal pdaXrom development. Please click and donations. smile.gif
pgas
and how should the sd card be formatted? i think fat isnt right, is it?

Chero wrote something about that:

http://mail.pdaxrom.org/contrib/docs/parti..._and_format.txt
scheck.r
QUOTE(sashz @ Dec 30 2005, 10:09 AM)
We hardly got any donations and banner clicks - don't get enough funds for normal pdaXrom development. Please click and donations. smile.gif

Come on guys, please donate !
A monthly contribution would be great.
We had the same discussion not so long ago, where are all these promises about donations ?
Aren't you amazed by all the work the team is doing ? by the power, stability, the many packages available of the X rom ?
ZDevil
Agree. I'm gonna to do it very soon. Their amazing team work isn't only worth a lot of verbal praises, but also real material support. smile.gif
terryleung83
it seems that the gcc header ipk has some error (in the c1000/c3100feed)
two files, stipple and Stipple, are seen as the same file and thus cannot achieved to the same location
adf
QUOTE(scheck.r @ Dec 30 2005, 01:57 PM)

We had the same discussion not so long ago, where are all these promises about donations ?
Aren't you amazed by all the work the team is doing ? by the power, stability, the many packages available of the X rom ?

Just did
smuelas
QUOTE(sashz @ Dec 30 2005, 08:09 AM)

O.K. sashz, how to send you money and how much do you think is a raesonable amount?
Please, don't give me words to the last cuestion. Just a number.
Do you prefer one only payement or a mensual amount?
Thanks.
smuelas
bart
QUOTE(adf @ Dec 30 2005, 09:45 PM)

Just did

On thursday, I got my C3100. On friday, the server went down. Luckily, another board member (adf) offered the akita rc12 zip. When the server was up again I downloaded the whole stuff - just to be sure - and the bandwidth probably dropped a little more because of that. Today I finally spent some time with it - and yes - all that effort that went into pdaXrom certainly is worth some money - as are all the efforts of the original package owners/holders. That is why I donated $20.
But I don't use the Z to make a living. It is "just" a gadget like so many before it. It will soon be replaced by something "better" ... probably a smart(voip)phone ...
ZDevil
Just did it too! smile.gif
donspinelakemed
QUOTE(adf @ Dec 30 2005, 11:45 AM)

Just did

Me too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2016 Invision Power Services, Inc.