Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sl-5500 Kernel /w Hostap
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
VoiDeR
I have been running rc10 on my SL-5500 few a few weeks now and other than the apm not displaying the correct battery info everything works great. I have compiled a few apps for it and everything seems pretty stable but the orinoco drivers that come with the kernel dont have the monitor mode patch applied so you cant use kismet or any sniffing progs with it. Now that the holidays are over i have some free time and i would like to compile a new kernel with the hostap drivers. I cant seem to find any info on building a new kernel. Would it be possible to us a kernel from OZ? Could some one point me to where i can learn to build a kernel for the SL-5500. Im no stranger to linux and kernel building (2 year Gentoo user). Or would someone be nice enough to build a new kernel for the SL-5500 with the hostap drivers included?

Thanks
VoiDeR
pgas
try the pdaxrom builder:
http://mail.pdaxrom.org/1.1.0beta1/

Documentation here (don't forget to read the other entries in the menu on the left:
http://www.pdaxrom.org/index.php?showid=47&menuid=1

You need to build 2 toochains, one with softfloat, one with hardfloat.
you can perhaps skip this step using the sdks:

http://www.pdaxrom.org/index.php?showid=33&menuid=11

and btw sashz compiled 1.1.0beta1 for 5500:
http://mail.pdaxrom.org/1.1.0beta1/Zaurus-5000D-5500/
VoiDeR
Awsome thank you very much. I dont remember most of that info being there?! I guess since theres a new version for the SL-5500 that its going to get more love in the future?
VoiDeR
Ok ihave the kernel source all set up and ready. I fixed the autoconf.h error that hostap-driver was complaining about (make config in the kernel source directory) Now when i type make i get this

CODE
[Sun Jan 01 - 05:41 PM]:[/mnt/card/devel/hostap-driver-0.3.9]
{root@zaurus}$ make                                                            
make -C /lib/modules/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/build SUBDIRS=/mnt/card/devel/hostap-driver-0.3.9/driver/modules modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/card/devel/linux'
make -C  /mnt/card/devel/hostap-driver-0.3.9/driver/modules CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__ -I/mnt/card/devel/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -Os -mapcs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fno-common -pipe -mapcs-32 -march=armv4 -mtune=strongarm1100 -mshort-load-bytes -msoft-float -DMODULE" MAKING_MODULES=1 modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/card/devel/hostap-driver-0.3.9/driver/modules'
arm-linux-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/mnt/card/devel/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -Os -mapcs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fno-common -pipe -mapcs-32 -march=armv4 -mtune=strongarm1100 -mshort-load-bytes -msoft-float -DMODULE  -DKBUILD_BASENAME=hostap   -c -o hostap.o hostap.c
make[2]: arm-linux-gcc: Command not found
make[2]: *** [hostap.o] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/card/devel/hostap-driver-0.3.9/driver/modules'
make[1]: *** [_mod_/mnt/card/devel/hostap-driver-0.3.9/driver/modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/card/devel/linux'
make: *** [2.4] Error 2

Now im not sure of its complaining about not being able to find the "arm-linux-gcc" command because i cant find it, or is the arm-linux-gcc command not able to find

CODE
-D__KERNEL__ -I/mnt/card/devel/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -Os -mapcs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fno-common -pipe -mapcs-32 -march=armv4 -mtune=strongarm1100 -mshort-load-bytes -msoft-float -DMODULE  -DKBUILD_BASENAME=hostap   -c -o hostap.o hostap.c

Looked and i cant find "arm-linux-gcc" anywhere in the /opt/native/arm/3.4.5-sa1100-softvfp dir.

VoiDeR
pgas
you shouldn't use the sdk with softvfp, but the one with hardfloat:
arm-cacko-linux-gnu-2.95.3-2.11-2.2.5-hardfloat-00.40_21.12.05.tar.bz2

Now I guess it depends how you have done your configure?

perhaps making links form arm-cacko-linux-gcc to arm-linux-gcc is enough?

perhaps you should pass a different target like arm-cacko-linux instead of arm-linux?
VoiDeR
Ok that cleared that up i had to make a link from /opt/native/arm/3.4.5-sa1100-softvfp/bin/gcc to /opt/native/arm/3.4.5-sa1100-softvfp/bin/arm-linux-gcc. Now im getting this

CODE
make -C /lib/modules/2.4.18-rmk7-pxa3-embedix/build SUBDIRS=/mnt/card/devel/hostap-driver-0.3.9/driver/modules modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/card/devel/linux'
make -C  /mnt/card/devel/hostap-driver-0.3.9/driver/modules CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__ -I/mnt/card/devel/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -Os -mapcs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fno-common -pipe -mapcs-32 -march=armv4 -mtune=strongarm1100 -mshort-load-bytes -msoft-float -DMODULE" MAKING_MODULES=1 modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/card/devel/hostap-driver-0.3.9/driver/modules'
arm-linux-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/mnt/card/devel/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -Os -mapcs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fno-common -pipe -mapcs-32 -march=armv4 -mtune=strongarm1100 -mshort-load-bytes -msoft-float -DMODULE  -DKBUILD_BASENAME=hostap   -c -o hostap.o hostap.c
cc1: error: invalid option `short-load-bytes'
make[2]: *** [hostap.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/card/devel/hostap-driver-0.3.9/driver/modules'
make[1]: *** [_mod_/mnt/card/devel/hostap-driver-0.3.9/driver/modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/card/devel/linux'
make: *** [2.4] Error 2

It must have something to do with hostap because i have compiled a few other things since and had now probems yet. Except when i try to make and ipkg i get this

CODE
[Mon Jan 02 - 01:16 AM]:[/mnt/card/devel]
{root@zaurus}$ mkipkg ipkg_dcron
tar: --exclude=CONTROL: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

But ipkg_dcron/CONTROL exists. I havent really checked in to this as of yet but i figured id post incase some on know.

VoiDeR
pgas
sashz posted an update mkipkg here:
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?act=A...pe=post&id=1504

Once again, the kernel is compiled with the hard-float sdk, not soft-vfp
see my previous post.
What you have compiled may work, or not
pgas
I used the builder to build the hostap drivers for the 5500, find the result here:

http://mail.pdaxrom.org/contrib/Zaurus-5000D-5500/

I have no way to test these, so I don't know if they will work or not
VoiDeR
All your packages work great. I cant believe how well mplayer works. In OpenZaurus its all i could do to get it to open the same video even opieplayer skipped and studded really bad. I would suggest anyone that installs the hostap-driver to install it to root "/" or else when you reboot your modules wont load becuase your sd card isnt initailzed yet. I have kismet working "HORAY!" that was the only thing that kept me using OZ.

VoiDeR
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.