Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rom Discussion On Tosa
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > 6000 - Tosa
Pages: 1, 2
miskinis
Hmm, I can't say for 100% sure, but I think something is going wrong for
you right away. What does "df -h" show? Perhaps you are out of space
on /, from a failure to partition correctly, as in the NAND-restore to Guyhelm
first, if you came from the Sharp ROM.

I forget what the contents of that tar file look like, (directory structure), are you
sure the files got extracted to the correct place? I assume you are using "startx"
logged in as root to start up X?
nevarrie
I forgot abou the fact that I set my root partition to 45mb so that I have enough space to install programs. I do this even on my OZ setup now since e-image takes up 33mb for install so only e-image-core work on the 6k without building a custom kernel.
xjqian
thanks miskinis and nevarrie, out-of-space during installation is also my gut feeling. What's happening was that I simply pushed OK during resizing the partition, assuming the recommended 45MB is the default value. Of course I ended up with 0MB. I updated the Howto to remind me my stupidity. Now trying to figure out enlightment...
xjqian
searched over all places but still have no clue how to bring up the wlan0. somebody please enlighten me...
nevarrie
QUOTE(xjqian @ Aug 9 2006, 03:26 AM)
searched over all places but still have no clue how to bring up the wlan0. somebody please enlighten me...

I thought I created a script to bring wlan0 up and down but I can not find it in my backup. I want to say the script loaded the modules and then used dhcpcd to get an ip. Sorry I can not be much help.
miskinis
Look for a pointer to the "6000 tutorial" post in a recent post to the
pdaXrom forum. That information is what I used to setup WIFI on
my 6000, but you will need to know the ESSID of the access point
you wish to connect to.
adf
you know... I was thinkiing about this 6000 wireless issue...
would it not be best (I would take a long time to/do it, but maybe someone more fluent could whip one up) to run kismet, or other most basic wireless scan,, take essid and other (channel,wep maybe,etc) pipe it to a bash scipted curses menu, giving the option to select frm available networks and pass further options if necessary to the wireless config, which then takes the optons and connects?

this would work with a little tweaking on oz and pdaxrom, being, in essencerom agnostic.

then we could have a nice "point,click, and connect me whereever I am without headaches' interface. not pretty, but I think maybe a pretty built in working wireless config applet for th6k 3rd party roms just isn't coming.
xjqian
pdaXrom experiences after a week:
+++ wifi problem solved, kismet configured, Pegasus II driver present, roadmap + flite installed with 2004 Tiger map working, KOPI installed
--- need to find left-handed screen rotation, have to compile kernel for pl2303 driver to support my usb GPS ...
still digging posts in the pdaXrom. Really like the desktop feel, but wish I could get all my hardware working under pdaXrom. I need to use my usb gps + zroadmap + flite for a trip this weekend, so will flash back to the sharp rom. Btw, does a nand backup of pdaXrom enough to bring me back to where I am?
malik
@xjqian: concerning the rotation on pdaxrom: the forum says that i had the same problem:-)

http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showt...459&hl=rotation

i have to look it up (this may take a while), but it was very easy changing a configuration skript. but you have to apply a different keymap if the screen is rotated. i have found it, last post in:

http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14052&hl=
coolass
Is there any other rom with wifi working out of the box or from the connect icon for the 6000..it seams a shame to waste that feature and have to input script to use it every time. cool.gif
nevarrie
QUOTE(coolass @ Aug 18 2006, 10:09 AM)
Is there any other rom with wifi working out of the box or from the connect icon for the 6000..it seams a shame to waste that feature and have to input script to use it every time. cool.gif

I have not found one other then the QT based off the sharp rom. I have had some sucess with wlanfe and wlanfe2 but they only give me a gui frontend to work with the wlan-ng driver, they do not search out for the networks around. Though it might not be that hard to add that functionalitly since you can uses:

CODE
wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_scan bsstype=any bssid=ff:ff:ff:ff:f
f:ff ssid= scantype=both channellist="01:02:03:04:05:06:07:08:09:0a:0b:00:00:00" minchanneltime=300  maxchanneltime=500 append=true

I even have a script(found it on the internet) that prints out all of the networks around me. I have not had time to make it into something better such as a efl or gtk app.

Here is my wlan_scan script:

CODE
#!/bin/sh
PATH=/sbin:$PATH

ChannelList="01:02:03:04:05:06:07:08:09:0a:0b:00:00:00"
ChannelMinTime=300
ChannelMaxTime=500

modprobe ohci_hcd
modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1
result=`wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable`
exit_code=$?
eval $result
if [ $exit_code != '0' ] || [ $resultcode != 'success' ]; then
       echo "wlan init error"
       exit 1;
fi

result=`wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_scan bsstype=any bssid=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff ssid= scantype=both channellist=$ChannelList minchanneltime=$ChannelMinTime  maxchanneltime=$ChannelMaxTime append=true`
eval $result
if [ $resultcode != 'success' ]; then
 echo "wlan scan error"
 exit 1;
fi

index=0
resultcode=success
while [ $resultcode = 'success' ]; do
      result=`wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_scan_results bssindex=$index`
      eval $result
      if [ $resultcode = 'success' ]; then
               basic_rates=''
              for ((i=8; i; i=`expr $i - 1`)); do
                      eval "rate=$basicrate$i"
                      if [ "x$rate" != 'xno_value' ]; then
                              basic_rates="$rate $basic_rates"
                      fi
              done

support_rates=''
              for ((i=8; i; i=`expr $i - 1`)); do
                      eval "rate=$supprate$i"
                      if [ "x$rate" != 'xno_value' ]; then
                              support_rates="$rate $support_rates"
                      fi
              done
              echo "SSID   = $ssid"
              echo "TYPE   = $bsstype"
              echo "MAC    = $bssid"
              echo "CHAN   = $dschannel"
              echo "WEP    = $privacy"
              echo "SIGNAL = $signal"
              echo "NOISE  = $noise"
              echo "BASIC RATES  = $basic_rates"
              echo "SUPORT RATES = $support_rates"
              echo '-----------------------------------------------'
      fi
      index=`expr $index + 1`
done

rmmod prism2_usb
rmmod ohci_hcd
xjqian
Thanks manik, I was able to fix the screen rotation issue pretty easily following your suggestion. Here are my solutions and the wiki will be updated.

CODE
1)modify /usr/bin/rotate.sh
change "left" to "right"

2) modify /etc/sysconfig/clamshell/scripts.d/x11src

make the corresponding lines look like the following

landscape(){
/usr/X11R6/bin/xrandr -o normal
xmodmap /etc/X11/kb/tosa.xmodmap

portrait(){
/usr/X11R6/bin/xrandr -o right
xmodmap /etc/X11/kb/tosa_right.xmodmap

3) make a copy of tosa.xmodmap to tosa_right.xmodmap
fix keys in tosa_right.xmodmap
speculatrix
the latest OZ 3.5.4.2-rc2 is pretty good, I reflashed to Opie and it looks pretty good. Well worth giving it a try.
adf
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Oct 6 2006, 03:47 PM)
the latest OZ 3.5.4.2-rc2 is pretty good, I reflashed to Opie and it looks pretty good. Well worth giving it a try.

what about a web browser in opie? I'm really not happy with ye olde konqueror embedded....
speculatrix
there is a way using compatibility libraries to install Opera - see the OZ threads, but it's not quite trivial.

konqueror is getting pretty good these days. Even Dillo is now far from useless.
adf
ok..dl'd OZ 3.5.4 (newest I could find for tosa.)

Thought I'd try altbooting to a cf...maybe even give e17 a whirl......
but all came to a screeching halt when I completely failed to find an updater.sh file!

Anyone have the updater? would you mind posting it or pointing me to it? the only feed I could find for tosa:

http://linuxtogo.org/mirror/openzaurus.org....4/images/tosa/

had an updater.sd.md5, but no actual file
koen
QUOTE(adf @ Nov 12 2006, 09:32 AM)
ok..dl'd OZ 3.5.4 (newest I could find for tosa.)

Thought I'd try altbooting to a cf...maybe even give e17 a whirl...... 
but all came to a screeching halt when I completely failed to find an updater.sh file!

Anyone have the updater?  would you mind posting it or pointing me to it?  the only feed I could find for tosa: 

http://linuxtogo.org/mirror/openzaurus.org....4/images/tosa/

had an updater.sd.md5, but no actual file

You could try the image from http://ewi546.ewi.utwente.nl/tmp/hrw/3.5.4.2-test/rc2/
adf
figures.... the image I'm looking for minutes after I dl the other stuff smile.gif

well --back to the dowloads

thanks
adf
nice splash screen
snappy-faster than i remembered

flashing wifi (weak signal here atm)

is this 2.4 or 2.6?
koen
QUOTE(adf @ Nov 12 2006, 10:02 AM)
nice splash screen

is this 2.4 or 2.6?

It should be 2.6, but a 'uname -a' in the console should give you the correct answer
adf
QUOTE(koen @ Nov 12 2006, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE(adf @ Nov 12 2006, 10:02 AM)
nice splash screen

is this 2.4 or 2.6?

It should be 2.6, but a 'uname -a' in the console should give you the correct answer

2.6.17. faster. no more orange lines, either.
Networking seems to come up automatically, though I have to write in a few profiles.

definitely a big improvement on the 6000. Thanks
adf
IT mounted my 4 gig sd!! formatted it and everything (even fat 32). Bravo!
xjqian
QUOTE(adf @ Nov 12 2006, 06:14 PM)
IT mounted my 4 gig sd!!  formatted it and everything (even fat 32). Bravo!

nice! Does that mean if there was a pdaxrom beta4 for Tosa, it should be able to use the same driver?
adf
QUOTE(xjqian @ Nov 13 2006, 05:32 AM)

nice! Does that mean if there was a pdaxrom beta4 for Tosa, it should be able to use the same driver?

they'd pretty much using the same kernel, I think...so a tentative yes?
BUt pdaXrom doesn't go past beta1.... a shame, too --OZ is noticeably faster and smoother with the 2.6 kernel than with the latest tosa 2.4 pdaX or 2.4 OZ
adf
Ok. 3.5.2 is really nice on the 6k so far. Even though i have 2 z's it is heartwarming to see the 6k kept up to date-its a marvellous box and with an up-to-date linux is still way better than most handhelds released this year

The next question is---- is there an Angstrom release for the 6k (w/ eabi, n ot that I'd immediately have a use for eabi, It just seems sensible)?

at any rate, I think I'll give e17 a spin on the 6000 this week

ps - meant to say (above) 2.6 was noticeably faster than any of the availble 2.4 systems on the 6k as far as I can tell. fixed it.
koen
QUOTE(adf @ Nov 13 2006, 05:46 PM)
The next question is----  is there an Angstrom release for the 6k (w/ eabi, n ot that I'd immediately have a use for eabi, It just seems sensible)?

There are testing images for tosa available[1], BUT only bootstrap is working well, dbus doesn't want to start in X[2], rendering X images a bit useless. You could install e17, since that doesn't use dbus, but anything gpe or gnome related does.
Right now angstrom sucks, which is why it hasn't seen a release yet smile.gif

[1] http://angstrom-distribution.org/unstable/images/
[2] http://bugs.openembedded.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1567
xjqian
QUOTE(adf @ Nov 13 2006, 02:30 AM)
BUt pdaXrom doesn't go past beta1....  a shame, too --OZ is noticeably faster and smoother with the 2.6 kernel than with the latest tosa 2.4 pdaX or 2.4 OZ

Sounds very impressive. Even though the rom evolution on Tosa is not as fast as its silibings, I feel lagging behind the evolution now (probably because I'm a newbie to linux in general). I barely get my feet wet with pdaXrom beta1 (got about 1/2 of my essential applications and gadgets set-up the way I like them to be... way to go...) I guess I will stay on the pdaXrom beta1 for a while and try to contribute to find bugs.

I would have jumped on OZ if I had known 2.6kernel OZ worked so well. I will check OZ once I crashes my pdaXrom set-up cool.gif
adf
QUOTE(koen @ Nov 13 2006, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE(adf @ Nov 13 2006, 05:46 PM)
The next question is----  is there an Angstrom release for the 6k (w/ eabi, n ot that I'd immediately have a use for eabi, It just seems sensible)?

There are testing images for tosa available[1], BUT only bootstrap is working well, dbus doesn't want to start in X[2], rendering X images a bit useless. You could install e17, since that doesn't use dbus, but anything gpe or gnome related does.
Right now angstrom sucks, which is why it hasn't seen a release yet smile.gif

[1] http://angstrom-distribution.org/unstable/images/
[2] http://bugs.openembedded.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1567

Thanks, but since I tend to pissy about that sort of thing, I'll wait for a relase smile.gif
maybe I'll spend some time trying to get 3.5.4.1 on sd on my 3100, or something equally perverse.
adf
Opie works nicely. The wireless stuff is working fine. Thanks!
I have a very useable system on my internal flash. Now, I'd like to be able to ALTBOOT to GPE as an "installed system on my 1gig SD card.

I read the ALTBOOT FAQ.

It talks about using tarballs, and mentions making an installed system--says it's like using a tarball. (not helpful at this point- no current tarballs )

There does not appear to be a tarball (I can't find one) of any OZ for 3.5.4.2 for the 6000.

How do I, for example, make an installed GPE 3.5.4.2 system for my 6000 on the SD card so that I can keep opie installed on internal flash and altboot to a complete GPE system on the sd?

Thanks in advance for the help.
munch
Had a question on firefox on pocketworkstation , i installed it from within debian, it installed fine
but when i try to start it it never starts up, even after a minute as I have seen in some posts, when I try to run form command line there are no error messages
I am using a 64MB swap, do I need to increase it,
adf
thats enough swap.
have you tried meanies" XQT stuff? my guess is that it has to do with dependencies
munch
QUOTE(adf @ Dec 4 2006, 06:41 PM)
thats enough swap.
have you tried meanies" XQT stuff?  my guess is that it has to do with dependencies

I just used the basic x/qt packages pointed to by Klaus Weidner not the whoe x/qt jumbo pack, but I installed firefox from debian , would it take care of the dependencies ?
adf
It should. It seems to work pretty well from what has been posted here (and my experience of pdaxqtrom. Firefox is much faster in pdaXrom or OZ/GPE, though, due to softloat in those systems
xjqian

confirmed. Brand: Connect3D (likely non-SDHC) 4GB, format: factory fat32

despite some errors in dmesg
CODE
end_request:I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 23880
Buffer I/O error on device mmcblk0pl, logical block 15688
lost page write due to I/O error on mmcblk0pl
mmcblk0: error 1 sending read/write command
end_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 8193
Buffer I/O error on device mmcblk0pl, logical block 1
lost page write due to I/O error on mmcblk0pl
tc6393-nand: mmc0: 1234 [B]SD04G 4018176KiB[/B]
mmcblk0: pl
FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev mmcblk0.
VFS: Can't find a valid ext2 filesystem on dev mmcblk0.
FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors

The card automatically mounted on OZ/GPE as
CODE
/dev/mmcblk0pl on /media/mmcblk0pl type vfat (rw,sync,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,code page=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1)

adf: do you get the same mount point, which sounds a little strange to me? other smaller SD cards mounts at /mnt/card or /media/card fine.

Edit:
well, i took it back. Seems all vfat sd cards are mounted to /media/mmcblk0pl
sdjf
That must be specific to your ROM?

My vfat SD card on Sharp ROM is on /dev/mmcda1, just checked.

Curious thing is I can write to vfat cards fine, but have to use sudo to write to my ext2 cards on Tosa, no matter what I set the permissions to IIRC. Oh well.

sdjf
chesserm
You have to be kidding me! You're replying to a posted question from Jan of last year..... Right!?!?

Of course, I'm not to smart to post on a dead board either blink.gif

looking for tosa life 8 August 2008

quote name='sdjf' date='Aug 3 2008, 10:57 PM' post='178954']
That must be specific to your ROM?

My vfat SD card on Sharp ROM is on /dev/mmcda1, just checked.

Curious thing is I can write to vfat cards fine, but have to use sudo to write to my ext2 cards on Tosa, no matter what I set the permissions to IIRC. Oh well.

sdjf
[/quote]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.