Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gp2x Psone Emulator Running Realy Fast
OESF Portables Forum > Model Specific Forums > Sharp Zaurus > Zaurus - pdaXrom
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
stuffman
I'm just using straight .bin files that I ripped a while back. They worked in previous versions and other emus, but no luck in .06. I'll see what I can figure out when I have the time.
zodttd
Hmmm, strange. I think GTA2 might have a problem with v0.06 as someone on the GP2X boards said they couldn't get it working with the latest codebase. I'll have to test that game out.

stuffman: what game are you testing btw? This error usually comes up when a game's bin file isn't recognized/loaded properly. I'll have to fix this bug but it will help if I already have the game to test with.

Btw, I got sound working! For those who can use ZPSX currently, try it out:
http://www.friggingames.com/zpsx006wsnd.zip

Thanks,
ZodTTD
stuffman
Right now I'm trying R-Type Delta, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Chrono Trigger. All 3 will at least load under the older versions, although the menu in R-Type doesn't show up, so it's unplayable, and Chrono Trigger resets itself every time I try to start a new game (it spits out some garbled graphics really quickly and goes right back to the title screen). All are straight .bin rips that I'm running from my microdrive. Still haven't had much time to mess around, though.
zodttd
Hmm, only thing I can think of so far is that since HLE isn't working in this latest release, that the bios isn't being loaded correctly.

Do you have scph1001.bin located in the same directory as zpsx? It's required for this release, since HLE isn't working.

I know Final Fantasy Tactics works with this release, as it's one of the games I test every release with.
stuffman
Hmm... well, how about that? On a whim, I renamed my SCPH1001.bin to scph1001.bin, and it worked. The last version didn't seem to mind the caps in the name (or it dropped back to HLE without notifying me), but v.06 is now working for me. One more thing, the file browser doesn't seem to want to drop back past /home, so I have to make symlinks to all my games or run it from a directory on my microdrive. Anyone else have a similar problem? As always, keep up the great work!
stuffman
Menus show up in R-Type Delta now! Woohoo! biggrin.gif
zodttd
Yay! smile.gif

Glad to hear it's working now. Yeah, the BIOS has to be all lowercase. I should of made note of that. If ZPSX doesn't find the BIOS it falls back to HLE, and since HLE is broken right now, it just crashed. sad.gif

How's R-Type Delta? I just got R-Types a bit ago, and its pretty awesome playing R Type 1 and 2.

I'm trying to find someone selling International Karate Plus. I use to love that game on my C64.
urielka
Tekken 3 do not even start it just fall to :"Fatal signal :Segmantaion Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)"
in 0.01 i made it run once and then it crashed.
it is compresed using pocketiso as bin.Z.
what is the problem.
by the way can you add to the source your make file or the command you execute to compile the game maybe something is wrong.
urielka
with the version that have sound i manage to see "namco present" and then it crash with the normal "SDL Parachute" stuff,but with 0.06 it just crash.
by the way: PocketISO 2.0 run on wine just fine smile.gif
scheck.r
One more thing, the file browser doesn't seem to want to drop back past /home, so I have to make symlinks to all my games or run it from a directory on my microdrive. Anyone else have a similar problem? As always, keep up the great work!

I have this problem too. Now I put zpsx in /usr/bin and I can access all my directories(although when I am in / directory, the file browser still tells me that I am in /usr which is wrong).
scheck.r
Success !
I tried zpsx_0.06_wsnd using scph1001.bin (to find it just type scph1001.bin in google and the first link is the right one) with the game DinoCrisis2.bin on my SD card and it worked (outside of X). I passed the Capcom screen then get the Menu, I started a new game. Sound is choppy of course.
However I got stuck randomly inside the game with the sound continuing, I could only change the frameskip key L but the screen remained the same whereas the sound skipped more rapidly, I tried P but nothing changed. So I exited with Backspace, of course no error were found.
HLE didn't work at all(stuck on loading)
I tried also the version without sound and still the same problem, I still get stuck randomly after the Capcom screen.
MONVMENTVM
has anyone got gran turismo 2 running? it is working well here, that means the menus are here and the game itself is also working.... but the speed is very low... it is not really playable.

Edit: i used a non compressed .iso file with the latest zpsx with sound and sdl 1.29
scoutme
please, can you post some screenshots and some info on games performances?
zodttd
The "wsnd" sound enabled version was made really quickly. I have since been working on it and fixed a bunch of bugs that made it crash some games.

Sorry about the bug in the file menu system. I'll fix it asap.

Urielka: With PocketISO 2.0, did you rip anything out (by checkmarking boxes)? For testing it's best to use a .bin or a compressed ISO with nothing ripped out. Since you said .Z, you most likely chose FF8 Search Method and didn't have to checkmark/rip anything out. That's a good thing if that's so.

Both .Z and .Z.table *must* be included together in order for the game to run.

Also, make sure you have scph1001.bin (all lowercase) in the same directory as ZPSX.

HLE currently does not work, as it sucks. tongue.gif

As for performance, I'm able to play games like One Piece Mansion, Buster Bros Collection, Final Fantasy Tactics, and others just fine. I'm almost able to play Street Fighter 3 Alpha and Wipeout XL at full speed, it's just shy of playable.

I unfortunately don't have Dino Crisis 2 or Tekken 3 to test with, but I will try picking them up.

I'll get a working version of sound-enabled ZPSX (with an option to turn off music and/or sound effects) out asap.
anunakin
I dont know what was wrong, but after reinstall all my pdaXrom, zpsx works:
Tested:
Castlevania, SoN
FFtatics

Sonic Wings RIPPED crash... with sdl paraerror! huh.gif
speculatrix
I started a compatibility table in the wiki

https://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=ZPSX

NB! The login to use the wiki is different from the forums.

Paul
speculatrix
I added the project to ELSIX and the new handheld-linux.de software repository.
scheck.r
New games tested(added to the wiki)

DewPrism OK, though I tested the jap version so didn't understand Too slow
Oddworld: Abe's Exodus Strange colours, 2 CDs Too slow
Resident Evil 2 OK, but 2 CDs Too slow
Silent Hill graphical artifacts(*.img ?) Too slow
Wild Arms 2 (2CDs) OK but 1\10th of the top of the screen is copied at the bottom Too slow
anunakin
CPU at 624MHz and in text mode, no HLE (crash bug)

Game/Speed

Castlevania SoN/Slow
FFTatics/Slow tongue.gif
R-Type Delta/Slow tongue.gif
SonicWings/OK (but crash if you try play as Japanese pilot) blink.gif
GTA ONE / OK (Half Screen in text and X11 mode!) huh.gif
stuffman
I was doing some reading around and found about about an older, failed attempt at a psx emu for the Zaurus here. He mentions "Pete's Soft GPU," a plugin for psx emulators that uses fixed-point math, which would be ideal for our application. I don't know anything about what gpu we're using currently, and if the code can be hacked into zpsx, but the source is GPL and I even found an SDL build (I think it's x86 though) and maybe it could be beneficial to us. Keep up the great work!
zodttd
EDIT: Fixed the link. Thanks for the heads up.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for being late with this release...
Here's a full speed PSX emulator for the Zaurus with sound. Be sure to read the readme.html and changes.txt that are included.

Grab ZPSX v0.10 here:
http://www.friggingames.com/zpsx010.zip

A lot more work will be done with this codebase and I'll continue work on it, I've just been slow lately since I've been getting a group of people working on this project together. Unai from Chankast fame is working on a custom GPU for GP2PSX/ZPSX and AntiPasta is dedicated to working on converting crappy code of mine to beautiful ARM assembly, and maybe even a dynamic recompiler. wink.gif

Right now just about every game I throw at ZPSX runs, and they average 24 FPS with frameskip set at 0, on my Sharp Zaurus C1000 @ 624MHz.

Be sure you are using SDL 1.2.9 as thats what I Use to test with. And be sure to install BZ2 lib to /usr/lib/ as well.

Let me know how this one works for you...

Thanks,
ZodTTD
adf
broken link?
stuffman
Should be http://www.friggingames.com/zpsx010.zip.
stuffman
Wowie Wow Wow! Huge speedup on my 860! FFVII was running at about 1/3rd realtime, now it's about 75% or so (according to the game clock), but it runs much, much smoother than before! Keep up the great work!

By the way, I hope that dynarec comes along nicely- I busted out my dad's old iPaq (with a 206MHz StrongARM) and put fpsece on it... it was by no means quick, but it was about the same speed as zpsx .06 was on my Zaurus. You rock!
danboid
zod t'god!

No way did i expect to hear about a FULL SPEED WITH SOUND zpsx release so soon, especially before any dynarec or asm cpu cores have been implemented. If this is the case I suppose we can realistically expect to see good psx emulation speeds on the gp2x and non-overclocked Zaurii when that code is working well.

Did you get yourself a USB psx-style pad? The other option would be one of those USB adaptors that allows you to plug in a real psx pad, of course! Has Ulrieka dropped out of this now then? Has anyone tried compiling zpsx for the sharp rom/cacko or openzaurus? Does it work?

Thanks for all your hard work zodttd- can't wait to get pdaxrom running again as this will be the first thing I try.

dan
urielka
dabboid:i didn`t understood what you said smile.gif
good work zottd!!!
i`m starting the dynamic recompiler today.
zottd can you send my your makefile/commands to compile ZPSX or should i use the hacked makefile?

Uriel
anunakin
QUOTE(danboid @ Feb 1 2006, 08:03 AM)
zod t'god!

No way did i expect to hear about a FULL SPEED WITH SOUND zpsx release so soon, especially before any dynarec or asm cpu cores have been implemented. If this is the case I suppose we can realistically expect to see  good psx emulation speeds on the gp2x and non-overclocked Zaurii when that code is working well.

Did you get yourself a USB psx-style pad? The other option would be one of those USB adaptors that allows you to plug in a real psx pad, of course! Has Ulrieka dropped out of this now then? Has anyone tried compiling zpsx for the sharp rom/cacko or openzaurus? Does it work?

Thanks for all your hard work zodttd- can't wait to get pdaxrom running again as this will be the first thing I try.

dan

I think a CDROM and JOYSTICK support is a good ideia for zPSX....
deniscallies
Hello guys,

I couldn´t believe how fast you are working on it.

but, on version 0.6 Diablo I works too slow, but it was working.
Now I only get a loading screen and the display is flickering very strong
and on einhander I could not start the Game sad.gif

think, next version will fix it smile.gif

I love you men biggrin.gif

Bye Denis
zodttd
Odd, Einhander works for me. I'll double check it in a sec.
To help speed up the tech support process...What compression, if any, is being used for the ISO? Did you rip it using my guide in the readme.html?

If you're using ZNX compression, I suggest re-ripping the game to .Z using the guide.

Not sure why it would work in 0.6 and not this version. If it has to do with the emulator and not human error, it has to do with the timings. I optimized the PSX timings heavily to run on the GP2X. This made compatibility go somewhat down. For the GP2X, it was worth the performance increase to lower the compatibility of a handful of the huge PSX library. I have Einhander, so I'll retest it and make sure it gets working. Diablo might be trickier to get working since I don't own the game.

I'll look into getting ZPSX working on other Zaurus distro's. Good suggestions dan. smile.gif
xdivider
QUOTE(zodttd @ Feb 1 2006, 03:46 AM)
EDIT: Fixed the link. Thanks for the heads up.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for being late with this release...
Here's a full speed PSX emulator for the Zaurus with sound. Be sure to read the readme.html and changes.txt that are included.

Grab ZPSX v0.10 here:
http://www.friggingames.com/zpsx010.zip

A lot more work will be done with this codebase and I'll continue work on it, I've just been slow lately since I've been getting a group of people working on this project together. Unai from Chankast fame is working on a custom GPU for GP2PSX/ZPSX and AntiPasta is dedicated to working on converting crappy code of mine to beautiful ARM assembly, and maybe even a dynamic recompiler. wink.gif

Right now just about every game I throw at ZPSX runs, and they average 24 FPS with frameskip set at 0, on my Sharp Zaurus C1000 @ 624MHz.

Be sure you are using SDL 1.2.9 as thats what I Use to test with. And be sure to install BZ2 lib to /usr/lib/ as well.

Let me know how this one works for you...

Thanks,
ZodTTD

0.6 works for me playing daikoukai gaiden but 0.10 hangs where 0.5 did. Having a blast playing the fullscreen version. Thanks smile.gif

Edit: Found the select key, which is used to save, doesnt work while in the game. Not sure why though..... Would be nice if there is a way to save the state instead......
ScottYelich
hmmm
diablo I on this?!

really?
deniscallies
Hello,
I used an uncompressed .iso file. Now I´m on work,
will try einhander once again, Bubble Bobble 2 runs fine @624 Speed

But Diablo (or C&C?) on my Zaurus would be the best... smile.gif

Thanks Denis
ThC
Hi,

I'd firstly want to thank you for your work ... I tryed once to compile fpcse for zaurus and only that was a real pain so I can imagine you're into a very hard work wink.gif

I'd also want to tell all c3000 users out there that it works perfectly using my pdaXrom beta on c3000 biggrin.gif

I've tryed bloody roar 2 (only game I had with me .. will try other @home this weekend) and it works ... very slowly but it works ... btw I've been unable to try with HLE as it don't seems to work (I tryed pressing h, shift-h, capslock before launching then pressing h while selecting game ...) ... is it disabled in latest build ?
anunakin
zPSX v0.010 / BIOS scph1001.bin / X11 and Terminal modes @ 624Mhz/416MHz

1- R-Type Delta, no MENUs Again!
2- Sonic Wings, works fine about 50% speed and with better sound and efects
3- Rockman X4 dont works, crash on Loading Screen

Hey, thanks Zodttd, but this is so strange some old bugs back on this version... blink.gif

But speed, graphics and sound goes nice cool.gif
zodttd
Are these mostly PAL games being tested? GP2PSX was having a problem with PAL games earlier, maybe it carried over to ZPSX as well? sad.gif

I only have NTSC games to test with...
Civil
zpsx 0.10:
GTA 1:
Work almost well. No screen corruption. Inverted keys (left = right, right = left). A bit slow.

Hogs of War:
Runs a bit slow (becouse it is 3D Game I think). But GTA isn't a lot faster.

Klona:
Slow, as Hogs of War... But playable. Maybe without X it'll run fine...

Tomorow I'll have more games to test (but most of them Will be Z compressed)

P.S. At last normal PS One Emulator... PCSX had some bugs with most of this games... For example in gta in car it teleports you to random coordinats... Usualy under another car or into the water...
stuffman
Maybe I was a bit over-enthusiastic with my last post- the battle sequences in FFVII are still quite slow, but everything else is blazingly fast. However, there is one critical problem: when I go to save a game, it freezes. Before, when I'd go to the save menu, it would take a few seconds for the "memory cards" to be recognized (they would be greyed out for a bit, and if I tried clicking on them it would say "no memory card found" or something like that). Now, it just totally crashes. A bummer considering how much more playable the game is now, but it's great to see how rapidly everything's progressing.
stuffman
Before I forget for the 20th time, how hard would it be to implement a "state save," like in snes9x and the like? It would be nice if I could save my game anytime, because hoping I get to a save point before my bus gets to where it's going doesn't always work. If I'm using a flash-based memory card, it's no problem just to turn the Zaurus off and I can resume later, but with my microdrive it crashes (it's a pdaXrom thing, I'm sure) when I resume. Not to mention that sometimes I like to use it as a PDA (that's what it is, after all), and not being able to use it as such because I'm in the middle of a long battle in FFVII is somewhat annoying (but I can accept it for now- I am so happy I can play the greatest game of all time with me at any time!).
zodttd
stuffman: You're right about save states. I *really* want to implement them. Especially since SIO (serial IO, e.g. memory cards) is holding back the emulator from going faster due to root counter timings. What I was thinking about doing for GP2X's version was only using save states, and not using SIO since it will make the emulator go much faster. Would there be reason do to this for ZPSX as well?
urielka
if in the GP2X it will be faster,in the Zaurus it will have some kind of speed up.
save state is basicly a RAM dump+Reg dump right?(just like in VMWARE)?
stuffman
QUOTE(zodttd @ Feb 2 2006, 08:38 AM)
Would there be reason do to this for ZPSX as well?

Seeing as how normal memory card saves got broke in the 0.10 release (at least for me in FFVII), I'd say it's a good thing wink.gif
Like Urielka said, it shouldn't be too hard as it's just a RAM and register dump, right?
zodttd
Save states are basically saving all the game structures in memory, pretty much like you said.

I just released a new version for the GP2X, I'll release the Zaurus version once I get a little more feedback about it.

The GP2X version got a speedup. As well as a new frameskip that skips the rendering of frames as well, which gives a speedup in some parts of games. It has room for improvement as well. There's also a fix for memory card reading and writing, which fixes the FF7 save problem as well. I also fixed some loading of game issues, so the next Zaurus release should be more compatible as well.

I'll start updating it now, and keep everyone updated.
Drantin
Any chance of getting this working with a stock Sharp ROM ?

(also from the gp32x forum, but with a c3000 )
urielka
it could be just compatible.
it uses SDL in console so basicly you can use it in SharpROM/OpenZaurus.
the only problem that i can think of is that the glibc version is diffrent or the SDL lib is too old
danboid
re: running zpsx under Cacko/Sharp rom

Yes please! This is what I'm hoping to be able to do to!

The problem is that none of the SDL programs that I've tried under cacko would run under text mode, they all needed to be run from a QT console. I've been told that people have done it but nobody was able to point me to any instructions or packages so I could see it working. It could well be because I was running libsdl 1.2.5 and from reading this thread it seems we might need 1.2.9 for cacko first. I'd like to hear from someone whose got any emulators (dgen, snes9x, mame and uae especially) running under text mode/sdl cacko.

Seeing as the sharp roms use GCC 2.95 instead of 3.x like pdaxrom, how is this going to impact the speed of zpsx? How much faster are GCC 3 ARM binaries?
xdivider
QUOTE(danboid @ Feb 3 2006, 09:10 AM)
re: running zpsx under Cacko/Sharp rom

Yes please! This is what I'm hoping to be able to do to!

The problem is that none of the SDL programs that I've tried under cacko would run under text mode, they all needed to be run from a QT console. I've been told that people have done it but nobody was able to point me to any instructions or packages so I could see it working. It could well be because I was running libsdl 1.2.5 and from reading this thread it seems we might need 1.2.9 for cacko first. I'd like to hear from someone whose got any emulators (dgen, snes9x, mame and uae especially) running under text mode/sdl cacko.

Seeing as the sharp roms use GCC 2.95 instead of 3.x like pdaxrom, how is this going to impact the speed of zpsx? How much faster are GCC 3 ARM binaries?

Im running it in Sharp. You can simply drop down to text mode by terminating qtopia and run the emulator with a LD_LIBRARY_PATH pointing to the sdl 1.2.9 libs.
danboid
Great!

Could you please post a link to an SDL 1.2.9 package for cacko, or can I install the pdaxrom SDL? Again, a link would be very helpful- thanks!

That was probably the fastest reply I've ever had outside of an irc channel! ohmy.gif
stuffman
If you're running Cacko, you might want to try Piro's special kernel and libSDL, as it is heavily optimized for Cxxx series devices (assuming you are using one). It may be faster that way, then again, it might not. Just something to consider. Good luck!
xdivider
QUOTE(danboid @ Feb 3 2006, 09:20 AM)
Great!

Could you please post a link to an SDL 1.2.9 package for cacko, or can I install the pdaxrom SDL? Again, a link would be very helpful- thanks!

That was probably the fastest reply I've ever had outside of an irc channel!  ohmy.gif

I think I remember seeing libsdl 1.2.9 being posted earlier in this thread.

http://zaurus.vivaphp.net/pdaxrom/1.1.0bet...1000-C3100/feed i think
zodttd
New release!
Grab ZPSX v0.20 at:
http://www.friggingames.com/zpsx020.zip

New in the release includes a much more compatible ZPSX, with a better frameskip option, and a slight overall speed boost.

Let me know how this release fairs.
Any suggestions on button configs?

Btw, what's the best setup for a C1000 in terms of performance? I'm currently using the Kathrin release of pdaxrom, and SDL 1.2.9 found at the feed in the post above. smile.gif

Hello Drantin! Nice to see a Zaurus and GP2X user all rolled up into one. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.