Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modifying Zaurus Cradle
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > 5x00 Hardware
gamemastermischa
Greetings,

I seem to recall that there is a possibility to modify the cradle for the 5500 to also charge the zaurus on the USB connector only. Can anyone verify this? If so, I could use directions to the appropriate website, I cannot seem to find it.

Gamemaster
hvontres
QUOTE(gamemastermischa @ Jan 12 2006, 04:02 AM)
Greetings,

I seem to recall that there is a possibility to modify the cradle for the 5500 to also charge the zaurus on the USB connector only. Can anyone verify this? If so, I could use directions to the appropriate website, I cannot seem to find it.

Gamemaster

I was able to modify my spare 5600 Cradle to be USB powered. I added a jumper from the USB 5V pin to an unused 5V pad. I don't have any pictures right now, but it is definitely possible. I have NOT tried this cradle with the charger plugged in. You might fry you PC's usb port, I am not sure.

Hope this helps.
Ferret-Simpson
QUOTE(hvontres @ Jan 12 2006, 07:37 PM)
I have NOT tried this cradle with the charger plugged in. You might fry you PC's usb port, I am not sure.

Solder a diode across the jump instead. That way, You won't kill the +5v at least. hmm. . . You might fry the Zaurus though, if that pad links in serially. If it does, then your Z will get a nice 10V current up it's ass. . . Remember the post about the Fuse change in the Z power stage?

That will be you tongue.gif

Sorry. . Don't mean to be pedantic or anything XD
hvontres
QUOTE(Ferret-Simpson @ Jan 12 2006, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE(hvontres @ Jan 12 2006, 07:37 PM)
I have NOT tried this cradle with the charger plugged in. You might fry you PC's usb port, I am not sure.

Solder a diode across the jump instead. That way, You won't kill the +5v at least. hmm. . . You might fry the Zaurus though, if that pad links in serially. If it does, then your Z will get a nice 10V current up it's ass. . . Remember the post about the Fuse change in the Z power stage?

That will be you tongue.gif

Sorry. . Don't mean to be pedantic or anything XD

Unrotunately the 0.7V drop across the diode is enough to make the Z unhappy...sad.gif I tried this before and wound up removing the diode.
Lisa
I purchased a usb to zaurus cable off ebay that also charges the zaurus. works nice, also picked up a 12v to usb charger for the cigarette lighter port in the car.
EzerchE
I have zaurus sl-5600 but i dont have adapteur, how can i charge it via cradle with usb port?

@hvontres can you post the pics please?

thanks.
EzerchE
Ok i did it smile.gif
EzerchE
i can charge it now, but i think i have a problem now,

pc softwares and usb drivers succesfully installed but when i try to enter file transfer or other options(sync, backup) it gives an error. here is the screenshot:

can i solve this problem? thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.