I am a scholar in the Netherlands, and I study Japanese. I am looking for a electronic dictionary. I looked around for a wordtank, but the only option for me is the Canon V80 Wordtank, because it is the only decent one on which you can use a touch screen to write Kanji on. I really want that.
When I looked some further, I found that PDA's can have nice Japanese dictionaries as well, and that a Zaurus is a good choice. So I am reading around about all the different models. I really like the design of the SL-C1000/3000/3100. I do have some question though, and I hope you can help me out here
1. I use Windows XP on my PC. I'm not new to computers, but I am a total Linux noob. Is the Sharp ROM usable if I know about nothing of Linux?
2. I also read about flashing different OS's on it. Especially Cacko seems to be popular, but I'm still not sure why it's better than the standard Sharp ROM. Can anyone explain why I should bother flashing it with Cacko?
3. Since above all, I want to use it to look up Kanji by writing them on the touch screen, I would like some conformation if this is possible. If I understood what I read, it is, but just want some extra conformation
4. Allthough I want to use it mainly for Kanji lookup, I do really like other features like browsing the internet and watching a movie. I know it doesn't have an internal WiFi-card. Can I just buy any WiFi-card that fits into the CF slot? And with it, can I use any WiFi-router which isn't password protected? Or are there any restrictions of some kind.
5. Is it possible to put a DivX movie via USB on the hard disc (or on a CF/SD card) and play it on the Zaurus?
6. Can I plug a USB stick with some Word document files (.doc) in it, and edit those files? I read something about the Zaurus not being a USB host, does this mean that you can't use USB sticks? And is there anything like open office or something that can edit .doc files?
7. Where did you guys buy it? On import shops the Zaurus is very expensive, like 800$ or something. I read about PriceJapan.com on this forum. Is it any good? Or are there any cheaper places? What about the ones on Yahoo Auctions? Has anyone experience with that?
8. And... which one to buy? I know that the C1000 doesn't have the 4GB hard disc. Where can you install applications? Just on SD or CF cards? Also, what exactly is the difference between the C3000 and the C3100, apart from a big amount of cash
I hope you can help me a little bit on the way! Thanks in advance!