Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kill -s Sigkill On Borzoi,kathrin-1.1.0beta1-akita
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
Seb
i've found nothing on this topic so far

so what's happened?

i mounted nfs via mount -t nfs -o nolock <host:path> <mountpoint>
and started downloading a file (1 mb) on zaurus via cp

the downloaded file stopped getting bigger, and ctrl-c on aterm had no effect

i started xterm and killed aterm via xkill

ps -a yields the cp-process with process id 1226 but kill 1226, kill -9 1226 and kill -s sigkill 1226 do NOT work, what i mean by "not work" is, they are still visible via ps -a

anyone observed similar problems?
is this maybe a new bug?

the problem remains after logging out from x

regards,
seb

AMENDMENT: after some 30 minutes the process disappeared finally from ps -a
dlj0
QUOTE(Seb @ Feb 11 2006, 09:51 AM)
ps -a yields the cp-process with process id 1226 but kill 1226, kill -9 1226 and kill -s sigkill 1226 do NOT work, what i mean by "not work" is, they are still visible via ps -a

anyone observed similar problems?

I have used kill -15 and kill -9 several times with no problem. But from the sound of it your process was a zombie when you tried to kill it, and in general zombies are hard to kill in linux.
karlto
From my experience, NFS mounts on any version of Linux are good candidates for creating zombie processes...
Seb
they disappear after a while, sometimes it takes even 15 minutes or something like that.. i think it's still strange but i got used to it..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.