Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wireless On C860
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > Cxx0 General discussions
brashley46
Attempting to connect to my WAP, I time out before the connection is established. blink.gif

I see in Maslovsky's FAQ for the 1.22 ROM that I should edit the etc/pcmcia/hostap_cs.conf file to only show my card (an AmbiCom WL1100C-CF).

Q: How to I get my wireless card to be recognised?
A: Check entry for your card in /etc/pcmcia/hostap_cs.conf file. Get details of your card with cardctl ident command. You can remove entries for all other cards so they don't get in your way. Also remember that you need to restart pcmcia after editing config file (/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart)

Question is, should I comment out the others or remove them from the list entirely?
brashley46
QUOTE(brashley46 @ Feb 17 2006, 11:38 AM)
Attempting to connect to my WAP, I time out before the connection is established.  blink.gif

I see in Maslovsky's FAQ for the 1.22 ROM that I should edit the etc/pcmcia/hostap_cs.conf file to only show my card (an AmbiCom WL1100C-CF).

A: Check entry for your card in /etc/pcmcia/hostap_cs.conf file. Get details of your card with cardctl ident command. You can remove entries for all other cards so they don't get in your way. Also remember that you need to restart pcmcia after editing config file (/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart)

Question is, should I comment out the others or remove them from the list entirely?

... And what utility should I use to edit this file? I tried vi on the console, used it to remove all the other cards, and nothing happened. The entries all reappeared after I restarted. Detailed instructions would be appreciated ... blink.gif
brashley46
QUOTE(brashley46 @ Feb 20 2006, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE(brashley46 @ Feb 17 2006, 11:38 AM)
Attempting to connect to my WAP, I time out before the connection is established.  blink.gif

... And what utility should I use to edit this file? I tried vi on the console, used it to remove all the other cards, and nothing happened. The entries all reappeared after I restarted. Detailed instructions would be appreciated ... blink.gif

Okay, I figured out how to use Midnight Commander on the file. I've removed every card description but the Ambicom, and restarted pcmcia as root (because doing it as user didn't work). I still can't detect my home WAP.

I guess I'll be posting my settings here this weekend and hoping somebody can make sense of 'em ...
brashley46
So: My /home/etc/pcmcia/hostap_cs.conf file looks like this:
CODE
device"hostap_cs"
  class "hostap" module "hostap", "hostap_cs", "hostap_crypt_wep"

card "Ambicon WL1100C 802.11b CF--card"
  version "AmbiCom", "W1100C 802.11b CF--Card", "2.2"
#   manfid 0xd601, 0x0002
  bind "Hostap_cs"

# Optional configuration parameters for hostap_cs.o
# module "hostap_cs" opts "channel=3 iw_mode=3 essid=test ignore_cis_vcc=0"
# module "hostap_cs" opts "dev_template+eth%d"
                                                                        /..

cardctl ident yields:
CODE
Socket 0:
 product info:"AmbiCom", "WL1100C 802.11b CF--Card", "2.2"
 manfid: 0xd601, 0x0002
 function: 6 (network)
Socket 1:
 no product info available

And I'm still not connecting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.