Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To Access Keyhelper Quick Menu?
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 General discussions
tombraider
I see references to a quick menu for keyhelper but don't see it anywhere.
There's a listing of libinputhelperapplet.so on my taskbar list which is checked...is that it? But how is it accessed? ohmy.gif

I have installed keyhelper-c3000map_0.4_arm.ipk - don't know if it's necessary to install it with Cacko but I installed it just to see if the Quick Menu would show itself.
Jon_J
Keyhelper.
It's in the Settings tab.
Icon looks like a computer monitor and keyboard.

Isn't the libinputhelperapplet.so the same as the input icons on the far left with the little green keyboard?
click the up arrow, and you get crykeyboard, handwriting, pickboard, unicode
Jon
tombraider
Thanks, you're right about the libinputhelperapplet.so

For some reason I have "Keyboard Settings" associated with the Computer/keyboard iconin Settings. It allows you to generate code to change your key mapping.

BUT, I did discover after I installed keyhelper-c3000map_0.4_arm.ipk that I could hold down shift and the Calendar button or the Address button at the bottom of the keyboard and menus popped up. One of them was the "Quick Menu". Unfortunately, all Quick Menu contained was Kino2 and Mediaplayer...I guess because I have changed my Tab settings for Opera, Text Editor, etc.

I'm still investigating how to add more to the Quick Menu. Thought it would just be an edit of keyhelper.conf but that didn't do it.

I'll just keep working on it.
Thanks for your help.

QUOTE(Jon_J @ Feb 28 2006, 05:55 PM)
Keyhelper.
It's in the Settings tab.
Icon looks like a computer monitor and keyboard.

Isn't the libinputhelperapplet.so the same as the input icons on the far left with the little green keyboard?
click the up arrow, and you get crykeyboard, handwriting, pickboard, unicode
Jon
Jon_J
I have the default cacko setup with only custom colors/wallpaper.
When you say "Quickmenu", are you referring to the following?
When I have 2 or more programs running, I can switch between these running
programs in 2 different ways.
[Shift + Home] switches between applications
[Shift+Menu] brings up a menu with app names, and any one of them can be selected.
My Home button normally tabs through the tabs at the top. [Apps] [settings] ect.

or
Is the quickmenu, the little QT button in the bottom left corner? (like the start button in windows).
Jon
bam
I think hes talking about the customized menu for keyhelper. inputhelper lib is for mouse/keyboard and such, I got my mouse cursor for my bt mouse to show up by using inputhelper applet, I have some infor on menus and keyhelper at my site including my keyhelper xml and conf files.
tombraider
Yes, I didn't make myself very clear. sad.gif I was referring to the QuickMenu which is accessed by holding the shift key down and the Mail button down if you have keyhelper-c3000map_0.4_arm.ipk installed.

The reason I didn't "see" it anywhere is because #1 even with Cacko you have to install keyhelper-c3000map_0.4_arm.ipk AND #2 you have to hold down the shift key and the Mail button at the same time to see it.

You also edit the keyhelper.conf file to put your personal favorite apps to be in the QuickMenu. I was having difficulty because if you have changed your tabs at all, the names of the tabs referred to in the keyhelper.conf file would be incorrect and cause the app not to show up in the QuickMenu!
The correct names for the tabs would be in the home/QtPalmtop/apps folder and might be named UserTab1 or UserTab2. Whew!

Hope this helps someone else.

QUOTE(bam @ Feb 28 2006, 08:51 PM)
I think hes talking about the customized menu for keyhelper. inputhelper lib is for mouse/keyboard and such, I got my mouse cursor for my bt mouse to show up by using inputhelper applet, I have some infor on menus and keyhelper at my site including my keyhelper xml and conf files.
Jon_J
Thanks, I guess I was mistaken.
I googled for keyhelper-c3000map_0.4_arm.ipk
and found it on Meanie's Customisations page.
It has a lot of features. I'll have to try it out sometime. smile.gif

Jon
Stubear
Basic info on the keyhelper menus

In keyhelper.xml you need to assign a "menu" key

In my setup I use the following
CODE
<define key="F13" kind="menu"></define>

in the <extensions> section of the keyhelper.xml file
(this turns the Mail button into the menu key)

Then in the [Menu] portion of the keyhelper.conf file you layout your menu options.
Here's another example from my system
CODE
[Menu]
01_M = Network/kopiemail
02_KeyHelper.xml = Accessories/zeditor /home/zaurus/settings/keyhelper.xml
03_KH_reload = @qcop    QPE/KeyHelper reload()    repeat
04_Restart = @qcop    QPE/System restart()    Restart

Where the menu entries have the following layout

01_LABEL = Command Options Icon

01 - order of the menu entries, I assume that you could put 01 at the bottom of the lsit and it would still show as the 1st menu entry but I've never tried this smile.gif
Label - what is shown as the meny entry
Command - the application or command you wish to run, this is usually an application or a qcop command although you can use inputhelper to do many other things. The application is called with Folder/Application where Folder is the name of the directory in /home/QtPalmtop/apps (note this may be different from the Tab name you see on the desktop). and Application is the name of .desktop file (without the .desktop extension) that opens the application (again may be different than what is seen on your desktop). in my example kopiemail is actually lables OM/PI on the desktop - this caused my endless confusion when I started with menus.
Options - qcop commands or file names that the application will open, they can be missing
Icon - the icon file name from /home/QtPalmtop/pics144 without the extension

One of the cool features, and great annoyance when you are first setting up the menu, is that entries where the application is missing (or in the wrong folder) don't show up, so if you remove kopiemail then you don't have to remember to edit your keyhelper.conf file - it just won't appear anymore as an entry.

You can also create submenus and second menus and menus that open with the menu key plus another key, but that's probably more info than you need at the moment.

On another note, you will probably need a [Launcher] section in your keyhelper.conf file for the menu to work - not exactly sure how the file is parsed - but I've never tried it without one - I love the launcher feature.

hope this is helpful, if you have specific questions, let me know and I'll do my best to hlep you

Stu
Jon_J
OK, here I go again with a newbie question....
What program do you open and save a *.XML file with?
When I try to open one on my windows desktop, Internet explorer opens it with a warning about security and active content that can access this computer.

Thank you,
Jon
tombraider
Wow, Stu, you're such a fountain of information. I might make a section on my web page for this and quote your postings, if I may?

The "Launch" feature I have not figured out yet. So the "Launch" and "Menu" sections in the keyhelper.conf file are for different purposes? I was just making them exactly alike because I was not sure how it worked. How do I "launch" something?

"Menu1" seems to be shift plus Calendar button and "Menu2" seems to be using something called "yedit" which I don't have...I'll put something else in there and see what happens. (Talking about default settings.)

Next I have to figure out how to change the "forward slash button" to "comma" button without having to hold the shift button. :-)

Thanks for the examples - there's a lot you can do with this. ohmy.gif

QUOTE(Stubear @ Mar 1 2006, 03:35 PM)
Basic info on the keyhelper menus

In keyhelper.xml you need to assign a "menu" key

In my setup I use the following
CODE
<define key="F13" kind="menu"></define>

in the <extensions> section of the keyhelper.xml file
(this turns the Mail button into the menu key)

Then in the [Menu] portion of the keyhelper.conf file you layout your menu options.
Here's another example from my system
CODE
[Menu]
01_M = Network/kopiemail
02_KeyHelper.xml = Accessories/zeditor /home/zaurus/settings/keyhelper.xml
03_KH_reload = @qcop    QPE/KeyHelper reload()    repeat
04_Restart = @qcop    QPE/System restart()    Restart

Where the menu entries have the following layout

01_LABEL = Command    Options  Icon

01 - order of the menu entries, I assume that you could put 01 at the bottom of the lsit and it would still show as the 1st menu entry but I've never tried this smile.gif
Label - what is shown as the meny entry
Command - the application or command you wish to run, this is usually an application or a qcop command although you can use inputhelper to do many other things. The application is called with Folder/Application where Folder is the name of the directory in /home/QtPalmtop/apps (note this may be different from the Tab name you see on the desktop). and Application is the name of .desktop file (without the .desktop extension) that opens the application (again may be different than what is seen on your desktop). in my example kopiemail is actually lables OM/PI on the desktop - this caused my endless confusion when I started with menus.
Options - qcop commands or file names that the application will open, they can be missing
Icon - the icon file name from /home/QtPalmtop/pics144 without the extension

One of the cool features, and great annoyance when you are first setting up the menu, is that entries where the application is missing (or in the wrong folder) don't show up, so if you remove kopiemail then you don't have to remember to edit your keyhelper.conf file - it just won't appear anymore as an entry.

You can also create submenus and second menus and menus that open with the menu key plus another key, but that's probably more info than you need at the moment.

On another note, you will probably need a [Launcher] section in your keyhelper.conf file for the menu to work - not exactly sure how the file is parsed - but I've never tried it without one - I love the launcher feature.

hope this is helpful, if you have specific questions, let me know and I'll do my best to hlep you

Stu
Stubear
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Mar 2 2006, 01:33 AM)
OK, here I go again with a newbie question....
What program do you open and save a *.XML file with?
When I try to open one on my windows desktop, Internet explorer opens it with a warning about security and active content that can access this computer.

Thank you,
Jon

In windows I use metapad or notepad to edit xml files, but you can't double click them as windows associates then with IE so you have to open the editor first or drop them on the editor icon.

Usually I do all my keyhelper.conf and keyhelper.xml editing in zeditor or nano over a ssh conection from my desktop.

Stu
Stubear
QUOTE(tombraider @ Mar 2 2006, 01:42 AM)
Wow,  Stu,  you're such a fountain of information.  I might make a section on my web page for this and quote your postings,  if I may?

Sure go right ahead. I also did an intro to keyhelper that covers the basics, and I see that someone has added a section on [Launch] and switching layouts
The "Launch"  feature I have not figured out yet.  So the "Launch" and "Menu"  sections in the keyhelper.conf file are for different purposes?  I was just making them exactly alike because I was not sure how it worked.  How do I "launch" something?

The launch works almost exactly like the menu option, except it coded for a key combo to start a program. An example from my setup

In the <modifiers> section of keyhelper.xml I set the address key to be "User1" with
<define key="F10" type="User1" mapping="True"/> then in the <extensions> section use User1 as a modifier to All keys for launch, using the following
CODE
<define key="All" kind="launch">
   <modifier User1="On"/>
</define>

Now in keyhelper.conf
CODE
[Launch]
T = Applications/translator
Backspace = __9quit

Here the combination of Address + T starts the translator program, while Address + Backspace shutsdown the Z (runs the Suspend) command from the Q menu.

The same rulls for calling applications apply to Launch as they do to Menu, except they don't have a LABEL or Icon section as nothing is ever displayed.

The disadvantage of Launch over Menu is that you have to remember the keycombos where Menu reminds you what you have set.
"Menu1" seems to be shift plus Calendar button and "Menu2" seems to be using something called "yedit" which I don't have...I'll put something else in there and see what happens.  (Talking about default settings.)

If you are using Meanie's keyhelper files, he has set up quite a complex file using all of keyhelpers bells and whistles (including the multiple menus, submenus etc)
Next I have to figure out how to change the "forward slash button" to "comma" button without having to hold the shift button.  :-)

Thanks for the examples - there's a lot you can do with this.  ohmy.gif

That was one of the first thisng I used keyhelper for, I'll add some spoiler space if you wish to work it out for yourself, but the follwing code does what you are asking on Cacko and the new version of keyhelper (somewhere around 1.2 the format needed to be changed a little)

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E
CODE
 <!-- Swap / and , action -->
       <define key="Comma">
           <map key="Comma"/>
           <map_modifier Shift="On"/>
           <map_unicode char="/"/>
       </define>
       <define key="Comma">
           <modifier Shift="On"/>
           <map key="Comma"/>
           <map_modifier Shift="Off"/>
           <map_unicode char=","/>
       </define>

This needs to go in the <mapping> section of the keyhelper.xml file

Glad I can be of some help

Stu
tombraider
Thanks, Stubear...I appreciate your patience in speaking to the "kindergarten class" - me.

That code to switch the comma and slash config didn't work for me. I inserted the code into keyhelper.xml but the "/" is still the default when you press the button and I have to hold the shift to get a "comma".
Is that code hardcoded in sometwhere else, perhaps, other than in the keyhelper.xml file or is that incorrect code to get the "comma" to be the default action on that button?
The Keyhelper software does not recognize that key button properly so that I could change it there. When the slash button is pressed while in the keyhelper software, there is no reaction from the software at all...it's as if the key doesn't exist.

QUOTE(Stubear @ Mar 2 2006, 01:39 AM)
QUOTE(tombraider @ Mar 2 2006, 01:42 AM)
Wow,  Stu,  you're such a fountain of information.  I might make a section on my web page for this and quote your postings,  if I may?

Sure go right ahead. I also did an intro to keyhelper that covers the basics, and I see that someone has added a section on [Launch] and switching layouts
The "Launch"  feature I have not figured out yet.  So the "Launch" and "Menu"  sections in the keyhelper.conf file are for different purposes?  I was just making them exactly alike because I was not sure how it worked.  How do I "launch" something?

The launch works almost exactly like the menu option, except it coded for a key combo to start a program. An example from my setup

In the <modifiers> section of keyhelper.xml I set the address key to be "User1" with
<define key="F10" type="User1" mapping="True"/> then in the <extensions> section use User1 as a modifier to All keys for launch, using the following
CODE
<define key="All" kind="launch">
   <modifier User1="On"/>
</define>

Now in keyhelper.conf
CODE
[Launch]
T = Applications/translator
Backspace = __9quit

Here the combination of Address + T starts the translator program, while Address + Backspace shutsdown the Z (runs the Suspend) command from the Q menu.

The same rulls for calling applications apply to Launch as they do to Menu, except they don't have a LABEL or Icon section as nothing is ever displayed.

The disadvantage of Launch over Menu is that you have to remember the keycombos where Menu reminds you what you have set.
"Menu1" seems to be shift plus Calendar button and "Menu2" seems to be using something called "yedit" which I don't have...I'll put something else in there and see what happens.  (Talking about default settings.)

If you are using Meanie's keyhelper files, he has set up quite a complex file using all of keyhelpers bells and whistles (including the multiple menus, submenus etc)
Next I have to figure out how to change the "forward slash button" to "comma" button without having to hold the shift button.  :-)

Thanks for the examples - there's a lot you can do with this.   ohmy.gif

That was one of the first thisng I used keyhelper for, I'll add some spoiler space if you wish to work it out for yourself, but the follwing code does what you are asking on Cacko and the new version of keyhelper (somewhere around 1.2 the format needed to be changed a little)

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E
CODE
 <!-- Swap / and , action -->
       <define key="Comma">
           <map key="Comma"/>
           <map_modifier Shift="On"/>
           <map_unicode char="/"/>
       </define>
       <define key="Comma">
           <modifier Shift="On"/>
           <map key="Comma"/>
           <map_modifier Shift="Off"/>
           <map_unicode char=","/>
       </define>

This needs to go in the <mapping> section of the keyhelper.xml file

Glad I can be of some help

Stu

bam
your using cacko, I believe he already switched the codes in keymap.tbl(dont quote me on this), you might wanna look at my site and my keyhelper.conf and xml, its pretty extensive, although probably no as extensive as stubears.

I do have one idea, make an application that tracks the application useage, then writes to a keyhelper.conf file and adds the top 5 or 10 most used apps to the/a menu. Just some ideas...as usual
tombraider
Wow, what a impressive web site you have, bam! Off to spend some hours gleaning info from it....

Thanks for all your hard work.

QUOTE(bam @ Mar 2 2006, 09:31 PM)
your using cacko, I believe he already switched the codes in keymap.tbl(dont quote me on this), you might wanna look at my site and my keyhelper.conf and xml, its pretty extensive, although probably no as extensive as stubears.

I do have one idea, make an application that tracks the application useage, then writes to a keyhelper.conf file and adds the top 5 or 10 most used apps to the/a menu. Just some ideas...as usual
bam
not my work just others that I have gained instructions/data and tips from, especially the Keyhelper master up there...how ya doin' Stu smile.gif
Stubear
Tombraider, post your keyhelper.xml and I'll test it on my C1000 with Cacko 1.23 nad see if I can see why your / and , don't switch.

Bam, I'm doing okay, but real-life is interferring with my time online and hacking on the Zaurus.

Stu
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.