Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zaurus To Web Sync
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Everything Development > User Request for Applications
jan
Most PDA/PIM users sync or backup to their desktop/notebook computers if they backup at all. That's great if you use desktop PIM, it's OK if you use your own PC on a daily basis. I don't use any desktop PIM. Many people don't use personal computers at all; they use computers at home, office and/or school, but they don't/can't install extra software; those computers don't always offer reliable and private long-term storage. PC software/storage was partly replaced by web services (for some, not for me yet). However those web services are not really suited for use with the Z: small screen, not always connected, available browsers not Firefox/MSIE* compatible, ...

My idea is to connect the both: Zaurus/PIM to Web/PIM sync without need for a PC.

Is there any method known? I'm thinking of a PHP calendar/addressbook application which can be configured to accept all fields that OPIE/GPE have and offers a API. Then we can a write some software to run on the Z and connect to the web server by https. (Today you can usually get web access where ever you are, IP MASQ or mandatory proxies are not a problem. Servers that can run PHP/MySQL apps are wide spread.)

* I do know that Firefox does run on the Z and MSIE sucks.
zipmaster
maybe a sync app for the website http://30boxes.com
jan
QUOTE(zipmaster @ Mar 13 2006, 10:55 PM)
maybe a sync app for the website http://30boxes.com

Maybe. They do offer an API and the plan syncing. That's a start.

I'm not sure whether I'm smart enough to work out a sync algorithm. I'd love to look at an successfull example first. Furthermore I don't know (yet) how well the various standards do (ical, REST, opensync). Hopefully someone with PIM syncing experience will provide hints. My doubts are:
* how to mach entries on both sides. (Subjects and times may change, unique IDs may not be available)
* how to find changes since last sync (timestamps, keep a journal on both sides)
* how to delete (delete&purge, mark as deleted?)
* syncing is a means of backup. Most syncing approaches have "lost data" issues. Shouldn't sync be designed in a way to prevent data loss under all circumstances?

By searching freshmeat I found BRIM promising because it's more than a calender.

As I do not use any PIM yet, I'm absolutely open.
zipmaster
well yes the api isnt complete yet. like you said it needs things like del, and add but it is getting there. i would imgine a sync app would work like how syncing your outlook,or qtopia desktop, with the z works now. you run the program and tell it to sync. from what i get in ur post you want something a little more automatic, i see problems arising from that
jan
QUOTE(zipmaster @ Mar 15 2006, 11:41 AM)
well yes the api isnt complete yet.

Are you a 30boxes developer?
zipmaster
heh nah just a loyal fan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.