Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ntp Usage/configuration?
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
dlj0
I can't seem to get ntp to work properly. It does not start itself, so far as I can tell, and when I re-boot the time is often far wrong and stays there.

I tried ntpdate pool.ntp.org, which has interesting results. The machine immediately goes to sleep. Wake it up, back to sleep, over and over until I disconnect the battery. So, that works, but....

I tried using the gui time setting thing, and got a response that there were no servers configured, even though I used the one I listed above.

Any suggestions?
desertrat
QUOTE(dlj0 @ Mar 11 2006, 11:42 PM)
I can't seem to get ntp to work properly.  It does not start itself, so far as I can tell, and when I re-boot the time is often far wrong and stays there. 

Any suggestions?

It's all been covered before, search this forum (for hwclock or ntp).

-- cheers
dlj0
QUOTE(desertrat @ Mar 11 2006, 09:36 PM)
I can't seem to get ntp to work properly.  It does not start itself, so far as I can tell, and when I re-boot the time is often far wrong and stays there. 

Any suggestions?

-- cheers

Well, I found a bunch of discussion, but the solution suggested did not work. That was from sds, posted Nov 29th, and suggested copying the timezone info to /etc/localtime and running sethwclock --systohc and sethwclock --utc. That did not work at all for me. Suspend really messed up the time. Things actually seem to be better without /etc/localtime at all.

I guess I'll manually re-set the clock when I have to, unless updates to the ROM fix this.
karlto
QUOTE(dlj0 @ Mar 13 2006, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE(desertrat @ Mar 11 2006, 09:36 PM)

Any suggestions?

-- cheers

Well, I found a bunch of discussion, but the solution suggested did not work. That was from sds, posted Nov 29th, and suggested copying the timezone info to /etc/localtime and running sethwclock --systohc and sethwclock --utc. That did not work at all for me. Suspend really messed up the time. Things actually seem to be better without /etc/localtime at all.

I guess I'll manually re-set the clock when I have to, unless updates to the ROM fix this.

Perhaps it's just the time server(s) - sometimes I find that ntp running on any machine in my network has difficulty contacting a time server within reasonable time. When this happens, it gives that same error about there being no servers configured; perhaps you can try finding a specific server from the pool, or even one outside it to test? I presume you have a good network connection?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.