Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Practically Nonexistant Storage Space
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
Stathgar
Hello,

I seem to have a bizarre lack of space available. If I start over from scratch by re-flashing the rom, configure my wireless with iwconfig, and then run ipkg to install qt-mt, I run out of space before the package even gets halfway downloaded.

I know the 5500 isn't exactly loaded with RAM, but I think something is wrong here. Shouldn't the OS be stored in flash memory? Or is it too big and it's actually using up almost all the RAM I have for storage as well?

If I'm stuck with almost no internal storage, is there some way I can expand onto my ext2 formatted SD card? I had been trying to move directories to my SD card and create symbolic links to them, but that's not working out well.

Device: Zaurus SL-5500 (64MB of RAM)
pdaXrom Version: 1.10beta1 "Kathrin"

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
miskinis
Hi,

To start, edit /etc/ipkg.conf and put the "dest sd /mnt/card" line as the
first destination, thus making it the default. This way you do not need to
use the -dest sd when installing packages, and there is no chance of forgetting it.
Note that symlinks are created to point to the SD card resident files, and I
remember each one eats up a little space, but you should be able to install
a lot of packages for now.

I have not tried pdaXrom on a 5500 for many months, but I'm planning on trying
beta1 on a 5500 very shortly once my 6000 is setup again, and I will be able to
offer more help at that point.

John
Stathgar
Well, even if it's installing to SD it tries to download the file to /home/tmp/ipkg/inst, so I had to move /home to my SD card and make a symlink to it. I would have just changed the tempinst destination in ipkg.conf, but when I tried that it had no effect (I don't know why).

I did finally get installing packages to work since it's doing everything on the SD card, but I'm still concerned. With only about 1MB, just package lists and the like may fill it up after a while.
miskinis
QUOTE(Stathgar @ Mar 12 2006, 08:03 AM)
Well, even if it's installing to SD it tries to download the file to /home/tmp/ipkg/inst, so I had to move /home to my SD card and make a symlink to it. I would have just changed the tempinst destination in ipkg.conf, but when I tried that it had no effect (I don't know why).

I did finally get installing packages to work since it's doing everything on the SD card, but I'm still concerned. With only about 1MB, just package lists and the like may fill it up after a while.

Well, I'm glad to hear you are making progress, I saw your other post!

Yeh, I remember trying many things also to free up space, and I think I
was able to free up about 5 MB, by moving parts or all of the X11 stuff
to SD. I hope some other folks with more pdaXrom internals knowledge
add some info to this thread over time. For instance I'm a little concerned
with moving /home to SD as a symlink, in case there are any SD issues, like
an accidental physical eject. I'm not sure any new processes could be started,
since the initial working directory would not exist, etc.. Maybe there are
safeguards in place, but it came to mind, and I figured I'd mention it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.