QUOTE(ArchiMark @ Apr 6 2006, 04:00 PM)
Was thinking about doing the same upgrade to my C3100....
Have you noticed any difference in battery usage or performance???
Was it difficult to swapout drives??
How did you prep the new 8GB MD?
I did just couple hours ago. Performance seems to be about the same but i didnt perform any tests. The power specs for the drive are about the same as Hitachi MD so I wouldnt worry about battery either.
As for the preparation. I already had my original HDD repartitioned (128MB swap on partition 2 and the rest for ext2 on partition 1) so I did the same on new HDD, mkswap, mke2fs, mount and then
cp -a bin etc home usr tmp and whatever /mnt/cf
and thats it
Replacing the drive involves
- shutdown -h now
- unplug power
- remove the battery, cf and sd cards, stylus
- unscrew 6 screws on the back (one is covered by stylus!)
- remove the back cover
- be careful with battery compartment lock, it can fall of the back cover so place it back where it belongs
- unscrew 4 screws with -> arrows from the mobo
- remove sync port cover
- remove motherboard, be careful here there are two flex connectors going to keyboard and display, either disconnect them or manipulate the board with them and top half of zaurus attached
- on the other side of the board unscrew 2 screws and remove sd card reader
- remove plastic bracket that holds the microdrive (2 clips on each side of the board)
- remove old microdrive
- insert new microdrive (add foam pads like on original drive or something for shock protection, i used 5 layers or isolation tape, be careful not to cover the vent on the back of the drive)
- and now do everything in reverse order ;-)