Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.5.4 Internal Wifi On 6000?
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Angstrom & OpenZaurus
rrnwexec
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a reliable way to configure the 6000 to use internal wifi? I tried the "Network Setup" app under "Settings" in GPE, but the settings I made there don't seem to have an effect.

Thanks in advance.

Settings I made were as follows:
CODE
Interface wlan0 Settings
dhcp <.>
Hostname (blank)

WiFi device
WiFi config for wlan0
ESSID   MYNETWORK
Mode (.) managed
Channel (blank)
WEP (.) open
(.) Key 1 0x1234567890
( ) Key 2  (blank)
( ) Key 3  (blank)
( ) Key 4  (blank)

#ifup wlan0
[CODE]Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
   Set failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
udhcpc (v0.9.9-pre) started
SIOCGIFINDEX failed!: No such device

[/CODE]
rrnwexec
Ok. I figured this one out...

If you are using 3.5.4 with GPE on a 6000, do not use the "Network Setup" app. It will overwrite the wireless configuration file in a way that breaks internal wifi.

Instead, modify the file /etc/network/interfaces based on the sample parameters that are already in that file, uncommenting out the pertinent lines.

Best Regards,
Randall.
adf
how are you starting wifi? with a gui or with a command?
rrnwexec
QUOTE(adf @ Mar 22 2006, 06:03 PM)
how are you starting wifi? with a gui or with a command?

Unfortunately, I can only start the wifi via command line, as root:

ifup wlan0

This and the configuration bug above is likely a barrier to some getting more involved in OZ. If only there were an easy way to configure and start/stop interfaces...

Cheers,
Randall
adf
easier to just pop a menu entry into icewm on pdaX, really. Thanks
CoreDump
QUOTE(rrnwexec @ Mar 22 2006, 05:33 PM)
Ok. I figured this one out...

If you are using 3.5.4 with GPE on a 6000, do not use the "Network Setup" app. It will overwrite the wireless configuration file in a way that breaks internal wifi.

Instead, modify the file /etc/network/interfaces based on the sample parameters that are already in that file, uncommenting out the pertinent lines.

Best Regards,
Randall.

Could you post a working version of /etc/network/interfaces for your Tosa's internal WiFi?
rrnwexec
QUOTE(CoreDump @ Mar 23 2006, 01:45 AM)
Could you post a working version of /etc/network/interfaces for your Tosa's internal WiFi?

Here you go...

Network name is SPOOKYNET, configured with 64 (40) bit WEP. WEP key entered in hex.
wlan0 is the internal Tosa (SL-6000L) wifi interface.

CODE
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# Wireless interfaces
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
 wireless_type wlan-ng
    wireless_mode managed
    wireless_ng_default_key_id 0
       wlan_ng_key0 45:4f:22:e4:21
    wireless_essid SPOOKYNET
       wireless_enc on
 pre-up modprobe prism2_usb
 pre-up /sbin/usbctl on 1
 post-down /sbin/usbctl off 1
 post-down rmmod prism2_usb

# Wired or wireless interfaces
iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth1 inet dhcp

# Zaurus usbnet
iface usbd0 inet dhcp

# usbnet from the other side
iface usb0 inet dhcp
rrnwexec
QUOTE(adf @ Mar 23 2006, 12:19 AM)
easier to just pop a menu entry into icewm on pdaX, really. Thanks

There's probably an esay way to add a launcher to the OZ/GPE desktop, but I'll defer to the GPE experts for guidance on how to do that.

Maybe someone well-versed in GPE can write a little applet that fixes the 6000 Tosa wifi config and interface start/stop issues once and for all. That would be a big plus.

Cheers,
Randall.
vorondil28
There's probably an esay way to add a launcher to the OZ/GPE desktop, but I'll defer to the GPE experts for guidance on how to do that.

I've been wanting to do that for a while but haven't bothered to try it yet. If nobody posts how to do it, I'll take a crack at it this weekend and post the results. I've poked around the GPE docs a little but didn't see anything about it. It might be a matchbox thing though, I'm not sure.

Maybe someone well-versed in GPE can write a little applet that fixes the 6000 Tosa wifi config and interface start/stop issues once and for all. That would be a big plus.

Indeed. Maybe someone could start a bounty for it. :-p I'd certainly drop a few bucks in if it ment having the internal wireless on the 6000L/W's working 100% without having to drop into rxvt.
adf
this has been mentioned repeatedly since there has been a gpe for the 6000. possibly it is difficult to do?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.