Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using Altboot For Opie And Gpe From Sd On Collie
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Angstrom & OpenZaurus
kgw
Thanks for all the work on this new release, it looks good. I have done a 64-0 install on my Collie choosing Opie. So far so good, but I want to move the root to the SD card.

I have read http://www.hentges.net/misc/openzaurus/docs/altboot.shtml and I think I understand it.

I went to
http://ewi546.ewi.utwente.nl/mirror/www.op...ollie/tarballs/
and got all 3 images, bootstrap, gpe and opie. I put them on the cf card, put that into the zaurus and used filemanager to copy them across to the sd card putting them into a folder called /boot-images.

Hoping it was a simple as that, I rebooted the zaurus, and from the Altboot menu, chose 8 Install RootFS from tar.gz.

I got an error saying that altboot doesn't yet support using multiple files this way, so I deleted the bootstrap and gpe files leaving the opie version called opie-image-3.5.4-collie.rootfs.tar.gz

Rebooted and made the same menu choice. Got the same error.

I would like to end up being able to use Altboot to choose from opie or gpe when booting but I am missing something.

Any suggestions?

Ken
CoreDump
QUOTE(kgw @ Mar 26 2006, 12:37 AM)
Thanks for all the work on this new release, it looks good.  I have done a 64-0 install on my Collie choosing Opie.  So far so good, but I want to move the root to the SD card.

I have read http://www.hentges.net/misc/openzaurus/docs/altboot.shtml and I think I understand it.

I went to
http://ewi546.ewi.utwente.nl/mirror/www.op...ollie/tarballs/
and got all 3 images, bootstrap, gpe and opie.  I put them on the cf card, put that into the zaurus and used filemanager to copy them across to the sd card putting them into a folder called /boot-images.

Hoping it was a simple as that, I rebooted the zaurus, and from the Altboot menu, chose 8 Install RootFS from tar.gz.

I got an error saying that altboot doesn't yet support using multiple files this way, so I deleted the bootstrap and gpe files leaving the opie version called opie-image-3.5.4-collie.rootfs.tar.gz

Rebooted and made the same menu choice.  Got the same error.

I would like to end up being able to use Altboot to choose from opie or gpe when booting but I am missing something. 

Any suggestions?

Ken

Please do not place the tarballs into a subdirectory. The folder "boot-images" is used by loop-image files (which a tar.gz is not)

HTH
paganoll
QUOTE(kgw @ Mar 25 2006, 02:37 PM)
Thanks for all the work on this new release, it looks good.  I have done a 64-0 install on my Collie choosing Opie.  So far so good, but I want to move the root to the SD card.

This images in the /media/card/boot-images/ directory. You must rename ir to opie-rootfs.bin, gpe-rootfs.bin and bootstrap-rootfs.bin

At boot, select 3 (SD boot) and Alt-boot ask you image file to boot.
Tested and working.

If you want, you can make you own image too (bigger of course)
telemetric_au
mine gets as far as:

*** Booting rootfs image ***
pivoting root... success
calling INIT

then loads alt boot menu again, selects the same choice from before and then loops a few times before stopping at command prompt...

had same problem with the tar balls and really would like to boot of SD...
CoreDump
QUOTE(telemetric_au @ Apr 20 2006, 09:44 AM)
mine gets as far as:

*** Booting rootfs image ***
pivoting root... success
calling INIT

then loads alt boot menu again, selects the same choice from before and then loops a few times before stopping at command prompt...

had same problem with the tar balls and really would like to boot of SD...

The answer for question 14 is probably what you are looking for.
http://openzaurus.org/wordpress/howto/the-altboot-faq/

The 2nd altboot is the one booted from SD, it is not the one booted from flash.
Just select Normal Boot for the second altboot prompt and you'll be fine.

The display of off-flash altboot menus will be disabled in future versions.
telemetric_au
damn, ive loaded that guide so many times and not seen that bit sad.gif

ill give that a go then now and get back how i went...

thanks,

ps ive been trying out the hentges cardfs in the mean time, and its not bad, i like 3.5.3 i ways more than 3.5.4 (which is the first and only version i had tried) and having all the extra packages makes for an easy way to check the field out...

but i have a couple a problems:

xmms complains about needing libglib though its installed , and go any further...
prboom complaines about libsdl_mixer and wont run,
konqueror wont run, says libpcreposix.so.0 aint there...
telemetric_au
yay it worked !! thanks a bunch !

nah hang on, now that im back in 3.5.4 and i like it better now, as the package manage handles dependencies and corresponding downloads automatically smile.gif

a general question though,

when im about th choose begin for the download install package management under options there's a input for "package source lists directory" and its blank... what and why could i use this for...
CoreDump
QUOTE(telemetric_au @ Apr 20 2006, 10:37 AM)
yay it worked !! thanks a bunch !

nah hang on, now that im back in 3.5.4 and i like it better now, as the package manage handles dependencies and corresponding downloads automatically smile.gif

a general question though,

when im about th choose begin for the download install package management under options there's a input for "package source lists directory" and its blank... what and why could i use this for...

Umm, got a screenshot of that?
telemetric_au
from the screen in number one i choose options,

Click to view attachment

and the resulting screen has the field mentioned:

Click to view attachment

though im not too concerned about it anymore as "apkg" hasn't got it there and has never crashed on me compared with the standard's habits of crashing whenever more than ~2 packages were queued up for install...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2015 Invision Power Services, Inc.