Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2gb And Up Sd Cards Supported
OESF Portables Forum > Archived Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > Sharp Zaurus > C1000/3x00 General discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
kahm
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Nov 22 2006, 04:06 AM)
QUOTE(pelrun @ Nov 22 2006, 05:43 AM)
Sounds like the CF driver in the backup code doesn't check the size of the device and just writes off the end of it - the drive then ignores the top bit of the address and wraps around to the beginning, right where the partition table is.

It's not likely to happen on an SD card, as those are serially addressed.

good theory but the backup code did throw an error in red letters saying the destination was full.

I am wondering if the function is intended to make a raw copy of the internal drive onto an external one, rather than make a backup file... but then I'd have expected the CF card to look like a corrupted multi-partition microdrive than a unformatted/unpartitioned corrupted mess?

I did one of those D&M backups with a 6gb MD. I've now got a 4gb partition on the MD with an exact copy of the internal drive. I suspect what is going on is the Z is using "dd" (or some equivalent) to copy the drive's contents verbatim, including partition info.
speculatrix
QUOTE(kahm @ Nov 26 2006, 02:27 AM)
I did one of those D&M backups with a 6gb MD. I've now got a 4gb partition on the MD with an exact copy of the internal drive. I suspect what is going on is the Z is using "dd" (or some equivalent) to copy the drive's contents verbatim, including partition info.

thanks for that, so yes, the D+M backup is just a raw sector copy.I think I'll just rsync the contents over, as I want to preserve the original c3100 contents before repartitioning it.
Ling
I have an A-Data 4GB myFlash Turbo SD 150x. From reading through the posts, it would appear that it works. I downloaded the driver from (I think) Meanies site. The installed driver says sdmmc-module ver 2.4.20. I have Cacko 1.23 installed on my 3200. I put in the card and it does not show up. I attempt to mount /dev/mmcda1 and it says "No such device'. dmesg|tail says (many times):

pxa_sd_wait_id_response:responce time out (cmd=01 MMC_STAT=0x2142)

Can't fdisk, etc. My digital camera sees it, wants to format it, but can't. Any ideas?
Cresho
get another card. you need trial and error..there is no difinitive list of working 4gb cards since the crowd is small here.
Meanie
QUOTE(Ling @ Dec 8 2006, 01:01 PM)
I have an A-Data 4GB myFlash Turbo SD 150x. From reading through the posts, it would appear that it works. I downloaded the driver from (I think) Meanies site. The installed driver says sdmmc-module ver 2.4.20. I have Cacko 1.23 installed on my 3200. I put in the card and it does not show up. I attempt to mount /dev/mmcda1 and it says "No such device'. dmesg|tail says (many times):

Can't fdisk, etc. My digital camera sees it, wants to format it, but can't. Any ideas?

get another Zaurus, you need a C3x00/C1000 in order for that module to work.
speculatrix
QUOTE(Ling @ Dec 8 2006, 04:01 AM)

you need to reboot the Z after installing the patch?

it definitely works on my 3100 with cacko1.23, I tested using a 4GB card which also works in wife's Canon IXUS-750 digicam

BTW, it's formatted fat-32
Ling
QUOTE(Meanie @ Dec 7 2006, 07:45 PM)
QUOTE(Ling @ Dec 8 2006, 01:01 PM)

get another Zaurus, you need a C3x00/C1000 in order for that module to work.

I thought that an SL-C3200 was a C3x00? Since 4GB cards are at least $50 delivered, I can't afford to just keep buying them. I will read through the posts and see what folks have gotten to work and narrow the search. In my search I have seen a few discussions about tactics used to resurrect/format cards, I was hoping that you guys could give me some ideas on a last ditch effort to get this card to work. I will keep fooling with it before I give up. Thanks.
harvell
QUOTE(Ling @ Dec 8 2006, 05:28 PM)
I thought that an SL-C3200 was a C3x00? Since 4GB cards are at least $50 delivered, I can't afford to just keep buying them. I will read through the posts and see what folks have gotten to work and narrow the search. In my search I have seen a few discussions about tactics used to resurrect/format cards, I was hoping that you guys could give me some ideas on a last ditch effort to get this card to work. I will keep fooling with it before I give up. Thanks.

I think they were looking at your handle. It says you have a C860.. biggrin.gif
speculatrix
another thing, once you've got the correct driver loaded, is to ensure that the card has a partition table - windows will cheerfully mount a fat32 formatted card where the card is entirely given over to the file system, linux wont. Use "fdisk" to create a partition, then "mkfs.vfat" to format it.
Ling
Since attachments don't seem to be working, is there somewhere else to download Cresho's patch. The link from Tetsu's page is dead, so I can't even download his. Unfortunately the link from handheld software points right back to here. I can't find it in the pdaXrom repositories.
Jon_J
QUOTE(Ling @ Dec 25 2006, 02:10 PM)
Since attachments don't seem to be working, is there somewhere else to download Cresho's patch. The link from Tetsu's page is dead, so I can't even download his. Unfortunately the link from handheld software points right back to here. I can't find it in the pdaXrom repositories.

I tried sending you a copy of the tetsu driver using the private messaging system, I'm not sure if it went through.
Here's the filename, in case you want to google for it.
zaurus_sd_driver_update_cxxxx_1.0+tetsu_arm.ipk

I also tried to attach it here, that didn't work either. sad.gif
Jon_J
I found it here:
http://tetsu.homelinux.org/zaurus/kernel/v...0+tetsu_arm.zip
Ling
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Dec 25 2006, 12:49 PM)

Jon,

I was able to download it. Thanks for your help.
speculatrix
I put a copy in my downloads
dougeeebear
I am thinking about purchasing a 4gb Transcend SD card here, which is supposed to work, but after reading all the negative posts about problems with 4gb cards, I'm wondering if I am just wasting my time and money on something that may or may not work.
Or maybe it will work for awhile then quit.

The driver is greatly appreciated, and would be awesome if I thought it would "just work", but there are no guarantees even with this card that has already been mentioned to work.

Hmmm... what to do??? cool.gif

EDIT:
Well, I ordered it anyway.
If it doesn't work correctly in the SD slot on my Z, it's bound to work in my USB SD card reader or in the SD slot on my laptop.
harvell
Ever since I had this 4G card my Z productivity has gone up tremendously. Especially with multimedia apps. Now I can pump out an audiobook or just run X/QT better with a huge swap partition. Just my thoughts biggrin.gif
dougeeebear
Thanks for the report, harvell.
I'll report back on my *hopefully optimistic* success.
Cresho
I had a patriot 2gb which worked flawlessly. Then i grabed a 4gb one and it died all the time. Went through 2 of them and decided to just call it quits.....recently, my 2gb died but that was my fault. I did something nasty to it.

transcend seems good, hope it works and I am expecting to grab one sooner or later.
pepilo
QUOTE(Cresho @ Jan 6 2007, 08:21 AM)
transcend seems good, hope it works and I am expecting to grab one sooner or later.

Hi,

Transcend 4 GB SD works great in my Z since Sep 2006.
HoloVector
I have had good success with Transcend SD and CF cards on my Zs. They make a pretty solid product. Although I haven't tried that particular card in my Zs yet. I'm waiting for the local price to drop before I grab one.
dougeeebear
QUOTE(HoloVector @ Jan 6 2007, 06:43 AM)
I have had good success with Transcend SD and CF cards on my Zs.  They make a pretty solid product.  Although I haven't tried that particular card in my Zs yet.  I'm waiting for the local price to drop before I grab one.
The one I bought here yesterday dropped in price by 10.00 right after I placed the order.
I called them and they gave me a credit.
I doubt you will find one any cheaper than that.
I've dealt with Tiger Direct for years, and they are excellent to do business with.

Regards,
Doug
Antikx
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Jan 6 2007, 07:16 AM)
I have had good success with Transcend SD and CF cards on my Zs.  They make a pretty solid product.  Although I haven't tried that particular card in my Zs yet.  I'm waiting for the local price to drop before I grab one.
The one I bought here yesterday dropped in price by 10.00 right after I placed the order.
I've dealt with Tiger Direct for years, and they are excellent to do business with.

Regards,
Doug

wow that's a great price!
cycle_55
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Jan 6 2007, 05:16 AM)

Regards,
Doug

My reply isn't about sd cards as such and may not belong here but I feel compelled to comment on tigerdirect. My experience hasn't been quite the same as yours. They have a weird return policy where the customer has to try to deal with the manufacturer first before contacting tigerdirect. At least that is how it is with a business account. This can be and has been a real problem if one lives in Canada and the manufacturer is in the US and customs won't let the parcel through the border because the manufacturer won't supply the paperwork. This is how things stood a couple of years ago. As far as prices and selection go tigerdirect is certainly up there with the rest of the online suppliers.

cycle_55
deadite66
flashed cacko 1.23 today on a C3200 and my 2GB sanddisk SD didn't work :< works great with this driver now o/
dougeeebear
cycle_55,
I can see how a US/Canadian transaction could be rather frustrating if it was necessary to return an item.
But just for the record, Tiger Direct does in fact accept returns in 30 days on items that are marked as such.
That is the case for this Transcend SD Card.
Just click on the "30 Day Guarantee" icon and you'll be presented with this page.

Regards,
Doug
Ling
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Jan 6 2007, 11:19 AM)
cycle_55,
I can see how a US/Canadian transaction could be rather frustrating if it was necessary to return an item.
But just for the record, Tiger Direct does in fact accept returns in 30 days on items that are marked as such.
That is the case for this Transcend SD Card.
Just click on the "30 Day Guarantee" icon and you'll be presented with this page.

Regards,
Doug

Doug,

Did this SD card work for you in Z?
dougeeebear
QUOTE(Ling @ Jan 6 2007, 01:52 PM)
Doug,

I just ordered it yesterday, and it won't be delivered until next week.
I'll let you know how it works out.
pepilo
QUOTE(Ling @ Jan 6 2007, 01:52 PM)
Doug,

This card works in my Z without Probs.
HoloVector
Not to sound alarmist here but, it looks like the Transcend 4GB SD that TigerDirect is offering is part of a blowout sale since Transcend no longer lists that card on their website. It appears that it was discontinued in favour of the new SDHC cards which aren't compatible in our Zs (at least not, yet). I wasn't planning on going 4GB on my 1000 yet but, this turn of events is making me reconsider since I don't want my poor 1000 stuck at 2GB.

BTW, TigerDirect is also offering this Transcend card on their canadian store as well.
Ling
If you froogle, there were other shops showing the same product in stock anywhere from $5 less to the same price in case TD runs out.
Drake01
I believe there's a thread that talks about how it shouldn't be long before the SD HC driver is available for us. I'm wondering if I should not worry about this, or if I should grab another 4GB card for myself as a backup to the one I'm currently using. If nothing else, my wife should be able to use it in her digital camera.

Hmmmm...
John Galt
QUOTE(Ling @ Jan 8 2007, 09:44 PM)
If you froogle, there were other shops showing the same product in stock anywhere from $5 less to the same price in case TD runs out.

Also Buy.com has the 4GB SD Transcend for $49.95 at http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=...070&dcaid=17070
Ling
Thanks for the tip, bought one. FREE Shipping. Yeah.
dougeeebear
QUOTE(John Galt @ Jan 8 2007, 08:47 PM)

Also Buy.com has the 4GB SD Transcend for $49.95 at http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=...070&dcaid=17070

If you look again, this isn't the same card.
It's a different model number, plus there is no speed rating.
So it's probably just a standard speed compared to 150x (which might not make much difference on the Z anyway, as long as it works).
John Galt
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Jan 9 2007, 09:15 AM)
QUOTE(John Galt @ Jan 8 2007, 08:47 PM)

If you look again, this isn't the same card.
It's a different model number, plus there is no speed rating.
So it's probably just a standard speed compared to 150x (which might not make much difference on the Z anyway, as long as it works).

oops, got too excited by the "dropping" prices...
dougeeebear
Ok, here's my review of the 4GB Transcend SD Card I just purchased.
HoloVector

Regards,
Doug

Yum! These are now under $60US and just over $76CAN. I just couldn't resist at that price for a 4GB card that is guaranteed to work in a 1000. Now Hachiko won't have disk envy when he looks at Bobby's hardware. blink.gif laugh.gif
harvell
QUOTE(HoloVector @ Jan 16 2007, 08:02 PM)

Regards,
Doug

Yum! These are now under $60US and just over $76CAN. I just couldn't resist at that price for a 4GB card that is guaranteed to work in a 1000. Now Hachiko won't have disk envy when he looks at Bobby's hardware. blink.gif laugh.gif

You could always perform surgery on Hachiko to add more hardware cool.gif hehehe.... you could enhance his hardware ..... laugh.gif laugh.gif ph34r.gif
jochen-02
From your posting on www.tyrannozaurus.com:
QUOTE(dougeeebear)
I formatted that 4gb card to ext2 (mkfs.ext2) and this is what system info shows:

SD Card - /mnt/card ext2 : 3860MB
Used (196MB) Available (3664MB)

So I've lost 7% in file space due to linux filesystem overhead compared to Fat32.
Can anyone tell me what's up with that?

Did you add "-m 0" to mke2fs? Normally mke2fs reserves 5% of filesystem space wich can only be used by "root". That is to avoid dos situations if the filsystem is 100% filled (from normal user's point of view). root has additional 5% to give him/her the chance to delete some files. IMO this makes only sense in multi user environments. So you can reclaim this space on the Zaurus.
dougeeebear
jochen-02,
The command line option "-m 0" worked out perfect.

Thanks a lot for that.

Doug
Antikx
QUOTE(dougeeebear @ Jan 17 2007, 05:22 PM)
jochen-02,
The command line option "-m 0" worked out perfect.

Thanks a lot for that.

Doug

Hmmm... is this the same for ext3?
HoloVector
QUOTE(harvell @ Jan 16 2007, 10:20 PM)
QUOTE(HoloVector @ Jan 16 2007, 08:02 PM)

Regards,
Doug

You could always perform surgery on Hachiko to add more hardware cool.gif hehehe.... you could enhance his hardware ..... laugh.gif laugh.gif ph34r.gif

With my soldering skills, I'd be more likely to neuter him! ohmy.gif
speculatrix
yes, the mkfs program generally reserves space for non-root

it's actually a good thing to reserve the space, its prevent fragmentation when the disk gets quite full. The 10% is a historic thing from when disks were generally less than 1GB! If you've got a multi-GB disk then probably a few percent is OK (e.g. reserve perhaps ten times the size of the most common file?)

in flash memory, it could prevent premature wearing out because when files are rewritten they can be written to a different set of blocks; if the disk is 99.9% full then re-writing a file will inevitably have to keep rewriting the same blocks.

I don't know if the flash controllers on the cards understand the fat filesystem enough to do any special wear levelling, but that might be the case and explain why cards seem to wear out quicker using ext3. I would propose that it's a good thing if you do put a swap file on the card to regularly delete it and create a fresh one so as to spread the wear.

--edit
speculatrix
BTW, for cheap 4GB cards I've seen www.7dayshop.com do them very very cheap.
jochen-02
QUOTE(Antikx @ Jan 18 2007, 05:18 AM)
Hmmm... is this the same for ext3?

Yes. The main difference between ext2 and ext3 is journalling. ext3 is ext2 with added journalling feature. Which advantages do you expect from journalling on a PDA?
Since journal updates accures quite frequent it in fact may add much wear to a flash memory card.
jochen-02
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 18 2007, 03:21 PM)
I don't know if the flash controllers on the cards understand the fat filesystem enough to do any special wear levelling, but that might be the case and explain why cards seem to wear out quicker using ext3.

No, I think the reason is journal updates.
Antikx
QUOTE(HoloVector @ Jan 17 2007, 09:55 PM)
With my soldering skills, I'd be more likely to neuter him!  ohmy.gif

laugh.gif
Antikx
QUOTE(jochen-02 @ Jan 18 2007, 12:39 PM)
Yes. The main difference between ext2 and ext3 is journalling. ext3 is ext2 with added journalling feature. Which advantages do you expect from journalling on a PDA?
Since journal updates accures quite frequent it in fact may add much wear to a flash memory card.

Perhaps I'm ignorant but I thought journaling might be good on flash memory so that it lowers the chance of something getting corrupt if you have it open when you need to cold boot your Zaurus because of a crash. *shrug* Maybe I'm mistaken.
InSearchOf
QUOTE(Antikx @ Jan 18 2007, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE(jochen-02 @ Jan 18 2007, 12:39 PM)

Perhaps I'm ignorant but I thought journaling might be good on flash memory so that it lowers the chance of something getting corrupt if you have it open when you need to cold boot your Zaurus because of a crash. *shrug* Maybe I'm mistaken.

Journaling is GOOD! very good... but for a device (SD and CF) with a "write life" you dont want to waste its life span on journal writes...

Late
speculatrix
QUOTE(jochen-02 @ Jan 18 2007, 07:39 PM)

it's also vital to check that your flash card is mounted "noatime" too so that every file or directory access doesn't result in updating the timestamps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.