Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2gb And Up Sd Cards Supported
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 General discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Cresho
YEP!

I went to fry's and purchased a few 1gb and a mini 2gb and also a 2gb patriot. The only one i tried was the 2gb patriot just out of curiosity and worked. This means that there is no or some limitation to the sd cards for the zaurus. So I got greedy and wanted 18gb on my zaurus so i purchased...well i tried to purchase a 8gb compact flash(none available)4gb sd card(none available). The only thing that came out of this was a 2gb patriot sd card on my spanking new c3200. Say.....does anybody want to try my new ipk.....2gb driver or more for your zauruses?Here it is! It was tested by a few and they stated it works fantastic.

Use at your own risk and don't come crying to me if it breaks your z.
the c3200 does not need it because it already has updated drivers.
----------------------------------------------------------------

View this site for sd card compatability
http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/?q=wiki/SDCompatList
models supported
c-1000
c-3000
c-3100
Rom supported
sharprom
cacko 1.23

There are two sd drivers now. The first one which I slaped together only replaces a link to where the original driver stays. The tetsu driver improves upon the older driver by adding a script. tetsu added postinst and postrm scripts to the new version. Uninstalling my old ipk would most likely make your zaurus sd drive not operational unless you do a hard reset or most likely a nand restore. NOthing wrong with my driver. The tetsu one is more correct. Download the tetsu sd driver. I took the old sd down just. The original driver had 577 downloads.

2 downloads.

http://webpages.charter.net/cresho/2gb-sd-driver.zip
http://webpages.charter.net/cresho/cd-refresh.zip
sidmoraes
Of course!

Where can I get these?

QUOTE(Cresho @ Mar 27 2006, 09:28 PM)
YEP!

I went to fry's and purchased a few 1gb and a mini 2gb and also a 2gb patriot

the only one i tried was the 2gb patriot just out of curiosity and worked.  This means that there is no limitation to the sd cards for the zaurus.

I got greedy and wanted 18gb on my zaurus so i purchased...well i tried to purchase a 8gb compact flash(none available)4gb sd card(none available).

So the only thing that came out of this was a 2gb patriot sd card on my spanking new c3200.

Say.....does anybody want to try my new ipk.....2gb driver or more for your zauruses?
Jon_J
QUOTE(Cresho @ Mar 27 2006, 11:28 PM)
YEP!

I went to fry's and purchased a few 1gb and a mini 2gb and also a 2gb patriot

the only one i tried was the 2gb patriot just out of curiosity and worked.  This means that there is no limitation to the sd cards for the zaurus.

I got greedy and wanted 18gb on my zaurus so i purchased...well i tried to purchase a 8gb compact flash(none available)4gb sd card(none available).

So the only thing that came out of this was a 2gb patriot sd card on my spanking new c3200.

Say.....does anybody want to try my new ipk.....2gb driver or more for your zauruses?

So does this mean the new C3200 comes with new drivers for SD?
What "Other" enhancements in (software/drivers) does the C3200 have?
I'm not referring to user software or applications, just newer drivers, ect.
Is SDIO now supported with the new SD driver?
Cresho
no clue but im slowly disecting it but that's just as far as i have gone. ipk for driver should pop out soon as this new theme for zaurusthemes.org website is done. Ill be converting some of the sharp ones over to cacko sooner or later.
bam
hmmm, seems the new zaurus has more than just the hdd upgrade.....thats good news.
daniel3000
QUOTE(Cresho @ Mar 28 2006, 09:58 AM)
no clue but im slowly disecting it but that's just as far as i have gone.  ipk for driver should pop out soon as this new theme for zaurusthemes.org website is done.  Ill be converting some of the sharp ones over to cacko sooner or later.

It would be great to have an IPK with SD card driver update.
However, please take care it fits the lower models by means of kernel version etc.

Did you try it on Sharp ROM? Which kernel version do they include with the 3200?

thanks

daniel
Cresho
nope...just looking at files at the moment and also Version numbers......I need to know kernal version, qtopia version you guys are on because i don't have a current sharprom on a c1000 since i sold it. You're right...could be kernal or could be files that allowes it to see my sd card.

thanks.

ohh drat..... qtopia 1.5.4 and linux kernal 2.4.20
chyang
My C3000 uses the same version as you described.
Qtopia 1.5.4, linux kernel 2.4.20
daniel3000
QUOTE(chyang @ Mar 28 2006, 11:23 AM)
My C3000 uses the same version as you described.
Qtopia 1.5.4, linux kernel 2.4.20

Mine too (Cacko ROM). So I'd gladly try your files!

daniel
Meanie
make sure you have a backup before you play with it too much.
i would recommend a nand backup and a tarball of /
daniel3000
QUOTE(Meanie @ Mar 28 2006, 12:36 PM)
make sure you have a backup before you play with it too much.
i would recommend a nand backup and a tarball of /

rolleyes.gif I'll first try it on my backup machine for one year or so until I install the new drivers on my main machine. The HDD1 error nightmare is something I don't want to see anymore!

daniel
HoloVector
QUOTE(Cresho @ Mar 28 2006, 03:59 AM)
nope...just looking at files at the moment and also  Version numbers......I need to know kernal version, qtopia version you guys are on because i don't have a current sharprom on a c1000 since i sold it.  You're right...could be kernal or could be files that allowes it to see my sd card.

thanks.

ohh drat..... qtopia 1.5.4 and linux kernal 2.4.20

Excellent! My C1000 is running the same version as your C3200. I'm running Cacko 1.23. W00T!

Now to save up for a monster-sized SD Card.
albertr
Before you find a time to pack it as an IPK, maybe you can just gzip and post /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/block/sharp_mmcsd_m.o ?
-albertr
Cresho
I would be glad to get some feed back. I have a few directories in mind but would like some more feedback. It's almost done. Ill have an expirienced a user who has an extra 2gb has laying around to test first hand.

anybody?
by tomorrow night around 11pm and on ill have it ready. I just cant do it now since im between schools.
Cresho
QUOTE(albertr @ Mar 28 2006, 09:08 AM)
Before you find a time to pack it as an IPK, maybe you can just gzip and post /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/block/sharp_mmcsd_m.o ?
-albertr

check your mail.....
albertr
Interesting... Sharp seemed to change something silently, the new driver has the same version as the old one.
-albertr
Cresho
hardware? can it be hardware? how about the sdiomanager-if it has one.

how about sdmgr?
sidmoraes
QUOTE(Cresho @ Mar 28 2006, 10:51 AM)
hardware?  can it be hardware?  how about the sdiomanager-if it has one.

how  about sdmgr?

Can you post the files somewhere?

We can compare these files and get some infos.
DaemonsGR
If you need space for upload PM me smile.gif
albertr
I doubt that hardware was changed. Afterall, it's the same old PXA270, right?

I would rather suspect Sharp's slopy coding techniques - they just probably forgot to bump up the driver version.
-albertr
Cresho
i still need someone who owns a 2 gb sd card for testing
chyang
maybe i can have a try.
daniel3000
QUOTE(albertr @ Mar 28 2006, 10:22 PM)
I doubt that hardware was changed. Afterall, it's the same old PXA270, right?

I would rather suspect Sharp's slopy coding techniques - they just probably forgot to bump up  the driver version.
-albertr

What about a binary "diff" of the two driver modules?

daniel
TRIsoft
Daniel,
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Mar 29 2006, 09:14 AM)

brilliant idea, but not really needed.

sharp_mmcsd_m.o if 67530 bytes on the SL-C3200.
The filesize on an SL-C3100 is 67418. It's different biggrin.gif

We'll keep you updated.

///TRIsoft

Marc Stephan
Cresho
most likely ill have something up by thursday morning. I am almost finished with the nouveXT theme for zaurusthemes.org and ill have this new sd driver ipk ready right after... smile.gif
Jon_J
This is a bit offtopic, and I hope nobody minds.
I decided to order one of these, if the driver doesn't work with a larger card.
It's at Cyberguys. (I get a catalogue, so I can mailorder it) It's only $12.99 US
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchd...c60&child=1sc60
It's a USB thumbdrive that accepts SD cards. I just thought this might be another option to someone.
When I purchase a 2 or 4 gb SD card, this will allow me to use it as a portable mass storage device.
chyang
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Mar 29 2006, 10:47 PM)
This is a bit offtopic, and I hope nobody minds.
I decided to order one of these, if the driver doesn't work with a larger card.
It's at Cyberguys. (I get a catalogue, so I can mailorder it) It's only $12.99 US
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchd...c60&child=1sc60
It's a USB thumbdrive that accepts SD cards. I just thought this might be another option to someone.
When I purchase a 2 or 4 gb SD card, this will allow me to use it as a portable mass storage device.

Why it's so expensive? I bought one locally for about $2.
sidmoraes
QUOTE(TRIsoft @ Mar 29 2006, 12:57 AM)
Daniel,
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Mar 29 2006, 09:14 AM)

brilliant idea, but not really needed.

sharp_mmcsd_m.o if 67530 bytes on the SL-C3200.
The filesize on an SL-C3100 is 67418. It's different biggrin.gif

We'll keep you updated.

///TRIsoft

Marc Stephan

Can you put this module in a web site ?

I realy need to test this version.
Cresho
okay driver ready
ill post in 5 minutes

i added ipk. start of this topic so go download it.

thanks chyang. ohh god on a c3000? jee your one lucky dude.
chyang
Verified on my Zaurus, 2GB card works great! smile.gif
Cresho
woops. i screwed up on the first ipk. made a new one and someone is testing it.

update...i added the new ipk. Some problems i came accross was going between modules.rom and modules. reason being is that modules.rom has the original driver while the modules carries a symlink-looks like one. so what the installer does is overwrites the symlink. the original driver stays as is in the modules.rom directory. Not sure if the file system is the same on all handhelds. But that was really my dilema.

papadon tested a few ipk's and now his sandisk 2gb works fine. he used the ipk installer.

So there you have it folks. ipk is at the start of this thread.
InSearchOf
I think it is time to look into selling my 1 gig and getting a 2 gig'er...

Thanks Cresho for the find and ipk...
Jon_J
Why not overwrite the original file?
Here's a screenshot of my /lib/modules.rom/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/block
(original sharp driver)
C3100 here, Cacko lite 1.23

EDIT:
BTW, thank you for uploading this. smile.gif
I edited this post because I didn't want to clutter up this thread more.
EDIT2:
I noticed the symlink is the same bytesize as the original file.
Must be a hard link. (terminology correct?)
Anyway, I'll be getting a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II card at Staples today or tomorrow.
Jon_J
I got my 2gb card today, had to order it. Local Staples was out of them.
It's a Sandisk Ultra II 2GB SD card. It works as shown below in the console.
Install went fine, except for one thing. I forgot to take out my Picsel Browser card.
When I rebooted, I was getting continous error messages about IDE drive, or CF drive.
I pulled the battery and everything was fine after that.
So remember, when installing this new SD driver, Remove all cards first!!

CODE
$ df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                   19.0M     19.0M         0 100% /
/dev/root                19.0M     19.0M         0 100% /
/dev/ram1               108.0k     28.0k     80.0k  26% /dev
/dev/loop0               14.4M     14.4M         0 100% /usr
/dev/mtdblock3          102.0M     19.9M     82.1M  19% /home
none                     10.0M     52.0k      9.9M   1% /dev/shm
/dev/hda1                 9.5M      1.0M      8.0M  11% /hdd1
/dev/hda2                 9.5M      1.1M      7.9M  12% /hdd2
/dev/hda3                 3.8G     92.2M      3.7G   2% /hdd3
/dev/mmcda1               1.9G     64.0k      1.9G   0% /usr/mnt.rom/card  
albertr
Did anyone actually test performance of the new Sharp's driver against the old Sharp's driver? It would be interesting to see how does it compare. Maybe to make it more compatible Sharp just hindicapped its performance?
-albertr
Cresho
QUOTE(Jon_J @ Mar 31 2006, 09:42 AM)
I got my 2gb card today, had to order it. Local Staples was out of them.
It's a Sandisk Ultra II 2GB SD card. It works as shown below in the console.
Install went fine, except for one thing. I forgot to take out my Picsel Browser card.
When I rebooted, I was getting continous error messages about IDE drive, or CF drive.
I pulled the battery and everything was fine after that.
So remember, when installing this new SD driver, Remove all cards first!!

CODE
$ df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                   19.0M     19.0M         0 100% /
/dev/root                19.0M     19.0M         0 100% /
/dev/ram1               108.0k     28.0k     80.0k  26% /dev
/dev/loop0               14.4M     14.4M         0 100% /usr
/dev/mtdblock3          102.0M     19.9M     82.1M  19% /home
none                     10.0M     52.0k      9.9M   1% /dev/shm
/dev/hda1                 9.5M      1.0M      8.0M  11% /hdd1
/dev/hda2                 9.5M      1.1M      7.9M  12% /hdd2
/dev/hda3                 3.8G     92.2M      3.7G   2% /hdd3
/dev/mmcda1               1.9G     64.0k      1.9G   0% /usr/mnt.rom/card  

must be related to cacko. I did not expirience this problem since everything i did was from the cf card.

just remember not to install it from the sd card just incase. a few times i was running the sd card after deleting the driver which was making me laugh for a while. Only after a reboot, the sd card was not functioning. installing the new driver and rebooting fixed this problem.

congradulations on your new sd card.

has anybody tried the 4gb PQI sd card? only 160 at a local fry's. i was going to buy it but i was out of luck and got my 2gb patriot for 70 dollars.
Jon_J
I installed it from my hard drive.
/hdd3/Documents/Install_Files
Since I got my Picsel card, I always copy files that I need on my Zaurus to /hdd3
I probably won't be purchasing any new cards soon. I already have more than I need now.
Jon
DaemonsGR
Any to test 4GB card?
BTW can this driver be usefull for pdaxrom devel?

thnx,
tasos
Cresho
where is the location of the sd driver? size, name? kernel version?
daniel3000
hi Cresho, Meanie,

may I ask what is the difference between that package and the one Meanie prepared s few weeks ago?

Which one is safer? More tested?

Thank you fpr providing this precious piece of software! Now I only have to find a good SD card.

daniel
Cresho
QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Mar 31 2006, 02:35 PM)
hi Cresho, Meanie,

may I ask what is the difference between that package and the one Meanie prepared s few weeks ago?

Which one is safer? More tested?

Thank you fpr providing this precious piece of software! Now I only have to find a good SD card.

daniel

he made drivers? Where?
Jon_J
QUOTE(Cresho @ Mar 31 2006, 09:09 PM)
he made drivers?  Where?

Here:
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18077&hl=

"New Sd Driver In Pdaxrom Sd >1gb, This compatable with Cacko?"
Meanie
QUOTE(Cresho @ Mar 30 2006, 03:11 AM)
woops.  i screwed up on the first ipk.  made a new one and someone is testing it.

update...i added the new ipk.  Some problems i came accross was going between modules.rom and modules.  reason being is that modules.rom has the original driver while the modules carries a symlink-looks like one.  so what the installer does is overwrites the symlink.  the original driver stays as is in the modules.rom directory.  Not sure if the file system is the same on all handhelds.  But that was really my dilema.

papadon tested a few ipk's and now his sandisk 2gb works fine.  he used the ipk installer.

So there you have it folks.  ipk is at the start of this thread.

Cresho and anyone else interested in this,

All the C3x00/C1000 Zauri use 2.4.20 linux kernel (unless you install OZ which use 2.6.15 or BSD)
They are all the same, except some have extra updated patches (ie tetsu special kernel)
The kernel sources are available from Sharp, except for the sd module which is binary only so nobody can update the driver except Sharp.
Sashz has compiled an opensource replacement for pdaXrom which, because it is opensource. we have the source code for it. And because pdaXrom is also using 2.4.20 kernel, the modules can be compiled for Sharp ROM or even copied over.
Now with the 3200 sd module, you can remove the symlink from /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/block/sharp_mmcsd_m.o and replace it with the new module, or you can replace the one under /lib/modules.rom/2.4.20/kernel/block/sharp_mmcsd_m.o directly, you you will need to remount / as rw before you can do that. On a C3000, that would be preferrable, because of the limited size of the NAND, but it is also dangerous because, if the NAND gets full during the replacement, you will not be able to update nor delete files from the NAND anymore unless you reflash the kernel. Same is with /home which is an another NAND partition, but it is not as crammed full as the / partition on the other NAND partition.
Also, it would be a good idea to unmount /mnt/card first and then shut down the SD manager by running /etc/rc.d/init.d/sd stop. Once you replace the module, you can start the SD manager again /etc/rc.d/init.d/sd start and you should be able to mount your SD card again without requiring a reboot.
Cresho
I am aware of those..............issues. Just installing and rebooting works fine with the sharprom. easier said and easier done.

Never tried sashz driver though.

your right about the 3000 but someone dived into it and runs fine. Cacko did have a little issue with it but re-rebooting worked as well. /etc/rc.d/init.d/sd stop and /etc/rc.d/init.d/sd start is the best bet for cacko.

So how is the pdaxrom driver working out for your 3100?
pgas
sashz driver is in devel, and the one in beta2 is buggy (for instance it needs a cf card in the Z to work.
hopefully this should be fix in the upcoming 1.1.0beta3

I think 2G sd cards are not working with the driver in beta2

The good news is that he has 2.4.20 working on 7x0 so maybe we could also use the 3200 driver on these machine...
brashley46
Is there any chance this can be done for the 860? The CACkO version I'm running has the 2.4.18 kernel ...
Cresho
use at your own risk... ph34r.gif
Meanie
QUOTE(brashley46 @ Apr 4 2006, 11:16 AM)
Is there any chance this can be done for the 860? The CACkO version I'm running has the 2.4.18 kernel ...

wasn't there a sdio driver made by c-guys that was only for the 2.4.18 kernel?
stbrock
Yes, but it seemed quite erratic for SDIO use. There's a post on my experience a year or so back. Whether the card would work reliably with the larger SD cards seems doubtful to me, but perhaps someone can check. I sent my c-guys card and driver on to Maslovsky after I gave up on it and haven't seen any indication he had any luck. But he might be in a position to check whether it can work as a driver for the large SD cards on the 860.
xjqian
any hope for 6000?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.