Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mp3 Player?
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > pdaXrom
0xDEADBEEF
I know there are many.
But what I really need is something simple, with full screen uncluttered interface so I could use fingers to control the playback and volume.

Is there anything in the feeds? Or is there a player that would fit the description so I could compile it?
karlto
QUOTE(0xDEADBEEF @ Apr 5 2006, 11:35 AM)
I know there are many.
But what I really need is something simple, with full screen uncluttered interface so I could use fingers to control the playback and volume.

Is there anything in the feeds? Or is there a player that would fit the description so I could compile it?

xmms is not so simple to look at, but I find it works well once you trim it back to the one window only and learn a few keyboard shortcuts to play/pause/next etc.
0xDEADBEEF
QUOTE(karlto @ Apr 4 2006, 03:42 PM)
xmms is not so simple to look at, but I find it works well once you trim it back to the one window only and learn a few keyboard shortcuts to play/pause/next etc.

Yeah, try adjusting volume with your finger.
Meanie
QUOTE(0xDEADBEEF @ Apr 5 2006, 08:50 AM)

I hacked xmms so that it can change tracks using the left and right keys as well as OK and Cancel to play and stop. I am also trying to make up/left+ok and down/right+ok to change the volume as well so I can use the buttons on the back of the Z to control xmms/other apps
karlto
QUOTE(0xDEADBEEF @ Apr 5 2006, 11:50 AM)

My apologies; I've never even considered wanting to change the volume! Mute works fine for me.

I see that there's a joystick plugin designed to alter the volume, not sure if that's much use. Other people seem to just map general keyboard shortcuts via the WM to some sort of command-line mixer; this sounds easy enough (not sure what the command is).

However, having re-read your original post a little more closely, I believe you're looking for a touch-screen type interface and I'm off on completely the wrong tangent...
telemetric_au
i cant even work out how to open files ??/
desertrat
QUOTE(0xDEADBEEF @ Apr 4 2006, 10:50 PM)

CTRL-D increases the size of XMMS' window. Using average-size fingers I can manipulate most of the UI without too many errors - YMMV smile.gif

-- cheers
desertrat
QUOTE(telemetric_au @ Apr 5 2006, 04:51 AM)
i cant even work out how to open files ??/

You haven't used XMMS before? blink.gif

Click to view attachment
Click on the "Eject" icon to open/add file(s).

You can also bring up the playlist by clicking on the tiny "PL" button.

-- cheers
telemetric_au
ive been using winamp since . , and xmms since migrating to linux...

tried using eject button and same problem...

it brings up file/directory screen, i can go to where my files are, select them but thats it... no way to add them to the playlist that i can figure...
Meanie
QUOTE(telemetric_au @ Apr 5 2006, 03:47 PM)

it brings up file/directory screen, i can go to where my files are, select them but thats it... no way to add them to the playlist that i can figure...

Hit enter, that will put them into the playlist
telemetric_au
tried that, 'n nothin...
0xDEADBEEF
I have tried gqmpeg player. It is fairly simple and it seems it should be possible to create a 640x450 pixels size skin for it - button and slider sizes are definable. It even has integrated skin editor which is totally weird in use though. I tried to design my own skin but gave up for now.
desertrat
QUOTE(telemetric_au @ Apr 5 2006, 05:47 AM)

We are talking about XMMS right? smile.gif

I really don't see what the problem is, after selecting file(s) you can do one of the following:

- click "Add selected files", adds file(s) to playlist and keeps dialog opened so you can continue browsing/adding

- click "Add", adds file(s) to playlist and closes dialog

- click "Play", clears current playlist and adds the currently selected file(s) to playlist, and closes dialog

-- cheers
telemetric_au
yes xmms, looks the same as in debian etc.

i dont seem to have "add selected files" button..

i click on add button (or eject) from the defauly black and blue skinned player screen, this open a full screen white window titled "XMMS File Manager",

here i can browse around my fs and find my mp3 files...

except theres only 4 buttons up in the top right, and back arrow, an up arrow, a new playlist button and a green with white ticked button that go back to the player...

in case it matters im running the embedded version on default sharp rom...
desertrat
QUOTE(telemetric_au @ Apr 5 2006, 07:26 AM)
in case it matters im running the embedded version on default sharp rom...

Ahh, in that case you're lost. smile.gif

This is the pdaXrom forum, you want probably want this forum:
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showforum=26

-- cheers
telemetric_au
yeah i knew that, but there's no xmms discussion over there...

anyway im happy using OTR audio player until i get a cf card that can flash me to a new OS...
Meanie
QUOTE(telemetric_au @ Apr 5 2006, 06:58 PM)
yeah i knew that, but there's no xmms discussion over there...

anyway im happy using OTR audio player until i get a cf card that can flash me to a new OS...

there is an xmms player on sharp rom? embedded using qt? now that is interesting...
telemetric_au
its in ELSI
karlto
I just found something I didn't know... all you have to do to adjust the volume in xmms is use the up/down arrows! See this post.

(Do the clamshells have a directional thingee like my SL6000?)
Antikx
Yup. And it sure beats pulling out the styus while driving. smile.gif
desertrat
QUOTE(Antikx @ Apr 7 2006, 03:49 PM)

Huh? blink.gif Shouldn't you be using the car's stereo? Sure beats the Z tongue.gif

-- cheers
karlto
QUOTE(desertrat @ Apr 8 2006, 05:29 AM)

Huh? blink.gif Shouldn't you be using the car's stereo? Sure beats the Z tongue.gif

-- cheers

Funny thing that - I have two cars and zero car stereos...

(Maybe I'm getting a little off-topic; sorry 0xDEADBEEF) unsure.gif
bluedevils
what's wrong with kino2?

volume can be control by the dpad and/or the toggle on the side.
Meanie
QUOTE(bluedevils @ Apr 8 2006, 11:52 AM)
what's wrong with kino2?

yeah, that's what I wanted, but kino2 only work on qtopia based system afaik, so I hacked xmms to be able to use the dpad just like kino2 smile.gif
Antikx
QUOTE(desertrat @ Apr 7 2006, 10:29 AM)

-- cheers

I guess I am technicaly using the car stereo.
I buy music online, and download podcasts but don't want to burn it to CD, so I use an FM transmiter to listen to music and podcasts from my zaurus while driving to and from work.
Save a plastic tree, don't burn a CD. smile.gif
Antikx
QUOTE(bluedevils @ Apr 7 2006, 07:52 PM)
what's wrong with kino2?

Maybe it's just me but xmms under cacko seemed very hacked together. I does the job but doesn't look "natural" if that makes sense.
No offense to who ever got it working. It's good to have options.
trichmon
What fm transmiter do you use? I have a belkin and I have never gotten good sound.

Todd

QUOTE(Antikx @ Apr 7 2006, 07:02 PM)
QUOTE(desertrat @ Apr 7 2006, 10:29 AM)

-- cheers

I guess I am technicaly using the car stereo.
I buy music online, and download podcasts but don't want to burn it to CD, so I use an FM transmiter to listen to music and podcasts from my zaurus while driving to and from work.
Save a plastic tree, don't burn a CD. smile.gif

0xDEADBEEF
QUOTE(karlto @ Apr 7 2006, 03:14 PM)
(Maybe I'm getting a little off-topic; sorry 0xDEADBEEF)  unsure.gif

LOL, its all good.
I think I will stick with my Nano for music anyway ;-)
Antikx
QUOTE(trichmon @ Apr 8 2006, 03:30 PM)
What fm transmiter do you use?  I have a belkin and I have never gotten good sound.

Todd

I know what you mean. It's hard to find a decent one.
I found this one was great bang for the buck: VR3
It looks like there is a version out with shuffle and song/channel memory. I might have to upgrade. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.