Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mac Address Change?
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Angstrom & OpenZaurus
Storm
Today at work, I needed to get into my Zaurus to prep for flashing to Hentges 3.5.4.1rc2. I'm currently running Hentges 3.5.4rc. I have a cradle here at work and one at home, and when I connected it to my Debian Sid laptop, I couldn't ssh into it. Looking in the logs, I found the following messages in my logs:

CODE
Apr 20 16:03:14 localhost dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 40:00:01:00:00:01 via usb0
Apr 20 16:03:14 localhost dhcpd: no free leases on subnet 192.168.129.0

Hmmm. Thats not the MAC address I have configured for the Z, and USB networking has been working for months. It was configured for a 00:01:02: address.

What would make my mac address change so radically? After all, the first six digits are the manufacturer, which certainly didn't change. I know I can change it by hand, but I wanted to know what, if anything, could cause it to change MAC addresses.

Thanks,
--Storm
lardman
The MAC address for the usb ethernet connection is created by the kernel driver I think.

Perhaps it's been changed there?

Si
Storm
QUOTE(lardman @ Apr 21 2006, 07:18 AM)
The MAC address for the usb ethernet connection  is created by the kernel driver I think.

Perhaps it's been changed there?

Si

Okay, thank you, Simon. That make sense then. I recompiled the kernel for the new fglrx driver because XOrg 7.0.0 made it into sid. It was starting to really bother me, because ordinarily, MAC addresses changing is a Bad Sign.

--Storm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.