Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Overclock A 3200
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Model Specific Forums > C1000/3x00 General discussions
ShiroiKuma
I used to run Cacko on my 760 and had it overclocked all the time - great.

I'd like to do the same with my 3200 now. What do you need to do it?

Can I just do it via a command-line command? I've seen a lot of mentions of a special kernel... Is it necessary for overclocking? Does the stock kernel not allow it?

Or as an aside to command-line, is there the Cacko battery applet that one can install on top of the stock ROM on the 3200 and overclock?
bam
Idont think stock allows it, you need tetsus special kernel at least, but I think you could use the 3100 special kernel, with modified install scripts.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(bam @ Apr 23 2006, 11:49 PM)
Idont think stock allows it, you need tetsus special kernel at least, but I think you could use  the 3100 special kernel, with modified install scripts.

Is there a howto on installing it somewhere? I've never done it and am afraid I'll brick the Z.
bam
if I were you I would wait and see if someone else can do it, but then again if I had a 3200 I would do it. Same kernel from everything I have read so far. and if all fail there is always dig menu to restore your flash.(from a backup of course) As for install scripts I am not sure about modifying those. I have a tutorial onmy site about this somewhere.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(bam @ Apr 24 2006, 06:45 PM)
if I were you I would wait and see if someone else can do it, but then again if I had a 3200 I would do it. Same kernel from everything I have read so far. and if all fail there is always dig menu to restore your flash.(from a backup of course) As for install scripts I am not sure about modifying those. I have a tutorial onmy site about this somewhere.

OK, so I waited and now I see that there is a 3200 version of the special kernel on Tetsu's side. Haven't inspected the installation procedure, but think can get that from his description.

Once installed, how will I overclock the Z? From a command prompt? What are the specific commands? Or is there a GUI?
Meanie
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ May 6 2006, 01:36 AM)
QUOTE(bam @ Apr 24 2006, 06:45 PM)

OK, so I waited and now I see that there is a 3200 version of the special kernel on Tetsu's side. Haven't inspected the installation procedure, but think can get that from his description.

Once installed, how will I overclock the Z? From a command prompt? What are the specific commands? Or is there a GUI?

you can use thhis app http://zaurus.daemons.gr/menaie/mirror/stu...t_1.0.6_arm.zip
ShiroiKuma
OK, installed it and have been running it for two days...

I'm having serious problems, with the Z freezing mostly around, but not only limited to, unsuspending. When I run a number of apps, then suspend, then restore after some time, the Z freezes...

It even does it while not overclocked.

I'd like to run it overclocked, really, it makes a big difference for me when using the Z, however can't afford this instability. Am even thinking of going back to standard kernel.

Does anyone have experience with such an instability while overclocked? Is it associated with the kernel, the kernel-modules, or the battery applet?

Can I do anything to remedy this?

I never had these problems while running an overclocked 860.
ShiroiKuma
Could the problem be with the Combined Battery Applet?

I looked at Foxdie's overclocking guide and in his picture here he specifies the PXA255 Standard as 398-199-99, while your applet Meanie, has 416-208-104 as the standard.

Further he says that the highest possible safe overclocking level is 471-235-117, while the first higher level in the applet is 520-104-208 which would be too high.

Could this be the reason?
Meanie
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ May 8 2006, 03:58 AM)
Could the problem be with the Combined Battery Applet?

I looked at Foxdie's overclocking guide and in his picture here he specifies the PXA255 Standard as 398-199-99, while your applet Meanie, has 416-208-104 as the standard.

Further he says that the highest possible safe overclocking level is 471-235-117, while the first higher level in the applet is 520-104-208 which would be too high.

Could this be the reason?

maybe, i don't overclock so i wouldn't know smile.gif i just repackaged that applet from cacko so maybe the values are wrong. try updating the values in /home/zaurus/Settings/freqchange.conf and see if that helps. let me know if it stabilises so i can update the package.
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(Meanie @ May 8 2006, 02:08 AM)
maybe, i don't overclock so i wouldn't know smile.gif i just repackaged that applet from cacko so maybe the values are wrong.  try updating the values in /home/zaurus/Settings/freqchange.conf and see if that helps. let me know if it stabilises so i can update the package.

I've read some more on this, it seems these frequencies are actually right for the 1000-3200 range, so that'd be fine, because they differ from the 760--- line.

The instability is terrible. It either hands, or it just kills the running apps, which in the case of XQt is a big prob.

It seems it's currently unuseable to me, so I went back to the standard kernel.
maslovsky
The CPU in 3200 is different from C1000/C3000/C3100 - there is a different revision number. It looks like older CPU overclocks better...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.