Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Writing To Sd And Cf Cards Super Slow
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > Angstrom & OpenZaurus
ShiroiKuma
I flashed 3.4.5.1rc2 to my 3200. I have noticed so far that writing to both SD and CF cards - fat format - is SUPER slow. For instance yesterday I untared a 30 MB file, it took more than an hour. Now I copied a 30 MB file, took 30 minutes.

This is ridiculous...

Can I trace anyhow why this is, and if it is related to my setup having something messed up?
koen
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ May 11 2006, 09:38 AM)
I flashed 3.4.5.1rc2 to my 3200. I have noticed so far that writing to both SD and CF cards - fat format - is SUPER slow. For instance yesterday I untared a 30 MB file, it took more than an hour. Now I copied a 30 MB file, took 30 minutes.

This is ridiculous...

Can I trace anyhow why this is, and if it is related to my setup having something messed up?

CF and SD cards are being mounted with the 'sync' option to prevent dataloss. You can change it to 'async' if you want, but don't complain if you lose data wink.gif
ShiroiKuma
QUOTE(koen @ May 11 2006, 10:42 AM)
CF and SD cards are being mounted with the 'sync' option to prevent dataloss. You can change it to 'async' if you want, but don't complain if you lose data wink.gif

OK, what does this mean basically, that then there is a risc that for instance writing to a CF is gonna be so fast that it's gonna corrupt the written files? Or what is the practical risk? Is there then any way to check whether there is data corruption?
koen
QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ May 11 2006, 09:52 AM)
QUOTE(koen @ May 11 2006, 10:42 AM)

OK, what does this mean basically, that then there is a risc that for instance writing to a CF is gonna be so fast that it's gonna corrupt the written files? Or what is the practical risk? Is there then any way to check whether there is data corruption?

'sync' means that data is written to the card immediately, 'async' keeps it in memory and writes it at a later time. If you battery runs out, or you remove the card before the data has been written to the card -> dataloss
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.