Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Browsers
OESF Forums > Distros, Development, and Model Specific Forums > Distro Support and Discussion > OpenBSD
coreilly
Something needs to be done in this area... even dillo would be a blessing. I can't be bothered to compile and the package list is pretty depressing... minimo works.. but just enough to get the latest scores. smile.gif

Firefox is a hog...
minimo is buggy
links+ is text

dillo?
opera?
TronDD
Links+ does support images. Use the -g option. It's still not as complete, visually, as firefox, though.

Did you try Konquerer-embeded? Works well. Hasn't crashed on me yet and is pretty complete on what it can render.

EDIT: Bummer sad.gif As soon as I say konq-e never crashed on me, it crashed. I guess I like links+ the best.
coreilly
mathemajikian and myself have exchanged a few messages regarding the state of web browers in openbsd on the Z... we have come to realize that konq-e (best of the lot) is crap when you get right down to it, we really need opera.

any ideas other than emailing/posting on opera forums about how we can go about getting this done? cause those options have already ended up on the short end of the stick.

other than that my Z is running OBSD great... using the tips from Andy and gen2, it is running almost perfect.. just add SD support and opera and boom, perfection!

btw, gen2, thanks for fvwm2... never even thought to give that a try. so lightweight! smile.gif
sylvain
What is really lacking, IMHO, is the Linux emulation, that would solve the browser problem (allowing Opera to be used), and would also allow a few neat thing to be used, like a java machine.
Meanie
QUOTE(sylvain @ Sep 18 2006, 06:29 AM)
What is really lacking, IMHO, is the Linux emulation, that would solve the browser problem (allowing Opera to be used), and would also allow a few neat thing to be used, like a java machine.

Java on BSD on Zaurus? blink.gif
I think linux emulation would be great smile.gif
I am currently thinking about putting OpenBSD onto my Z since pdaXrom and OZ have disappointed me very much...
and links with -g is actually quite good
mathemajikian
Java Issue:
I have been able to use the jikes java compiler and jamVM on my Zaurii but classpath-0.91 will no longer build correctly. I get out of swap errors during the build process. I guess 82M of swap is not enough. To run even the simplist java apps we need classpath to build correctly on the Z. If someone has a classpath-0.91 package please post it.

http://ports.openbsd.nu/lang/jamvm

http://ports.openbsd.nu/lang/classpath

http://ports.openbsd.nu/lang/jikes

Browser Issue:
I have uninstalled konq-e since it is really starting to show its age and have been using links with -g and elinks. If we can get java working I'm sure we can take advantage of the slew of Java based web browsers out there.

Linux Emulation:
I don't think we need Linux emulation. If you want Linux then use a Linux. If you want BSD then use BSD. If you want Linux and BSD then dual boot.

QUOTE(Meanie @ Sep 18 2006, 04:11 AM)
QUOTE(sylvain @ Sep 18 2006, 06:29 AM)

Java on BSD on Zaurus? blink.gif

links with -g is actually quite good
sylvain
QUOTE(mathemajikian @ Sep 18 2006, 01:28 AM)
Linux Emulation:
I don't think we need Linux emulation. If you want Linux then use a Linux. If you want BSD then use BSD. If you want Linux and BSD then dual boot.

I did not used the "need" word. But I still believe that it would be useful. And I have the feeling that I am not the only one, because the three BSD branchs on x86 support this feature, as the way to answer to proprietary linux software.

Beside, dual booting is not the same thing than running two apps in the same user space. Rebooting twice a day is the "windows" way of doing thing, but it is neither the way of using a PDA, nor the way to use a BSD machine.
iamasmith
QUOTE(sylvain @ Sep 17 2006, 08:29 PM)

Actually no, unless you build Qtopia for OpenBSD also since Opera for ARM Linux is built for Qtopia only afaik

-Andy
sylvain
Good point.

Maybe could Qtopia would be runnable with Linux emulation, but I wouldn't bet on it...
mathemajikian
Now that I have Java working on the Zaurii I'm going to try and compile/port some Java based web browsers.

EDIT: After looking at numerous Java browsers I cannot seem to find any which will out perform Konq-e.
Meanie
QUOTE(mathemajikian @ Sep 21 2006, 09:54 PM)
Now that I have Java working on the Zaurii I'm going to try and compile/port some Java based web browsers.

you can try opera-mini under jamvm+classpath with me4se
mathemajikian
Dillo has been fixed in the ports tree and now builds correctly.

2006-09-21 22:13:19 by Peter Valchev

Log message:
Update to new version (0.8.6) and unbreak.
From new maintainer Jim Uhl <juhl@mala.bc.ca>
coreilly
excellent! ill install it when i get home.

any news on opera math?
mathemajikian
QUOTE(coreilly @ Sep 27 2006, 12:57 PM)
any news on opera math?

All I got back from Opera was an e-mail saying

Hey thats a good idea!
mathemajikian
I finally got mozilla-firefox to build without error (took 3 days to build); however, I cannot get it to run for longer than one minute. sad.gif It starts up but will exit with no error indication. Not sure if it is just to big to run on the Z or if I'm missing some files which it depends on. (I think I may be missing some files related to GTK because when I start firefox-bin -ProfileManager it seems to be missing the Exit, Start Firefox widgets). I'm going to get with Andy and see if we can fix the problem.

EDIT: The TestGTKEmbed works great, but this is just minimo without the fancy frontend.
EDIT2: I have had no luck getting firefox to stay open for longer than one minute, I'm finally giving up. Maybe someone else can build the port and get it working.
coreilly
QUOTE(mathemajikian @ Sep 29 2006, 06:48 AM)
I finally got mozilla-firefox to build without error (took 3 days to build); however, I cannot get it to run for longer than one minute.  sad.gif  It starts up but will exit with no error indication. Not sure if it is just to big to run on the Z or if I'm missing some files which it depends on. (I think I may be missing some files related to GTK because when I start firefox-bin -ProfileManager it seems to be missing the Exit, Start Firefox widgets). I'm going to get with Andy and see if we can fix the problem.

EDIT: The TestGTKEmbed works great, but this is just minimo without the fancy frontend.

that's great news on firefox! thanks for your work mathemajikian! i just installed dillo from the ports... very fast and an absolute joy over konq-e.

and thanks for the tip on using ion3 as my window manager... very fast and keyboard use is a breeze.. smile.gif

so far thats

fvwm
blackbox
windowmaker
fvwm2
dwm

knocked off... ion3 my new fav!
mathemajikian
ion3 is perfect for the Z. Make sure you copy the config files from /usr/local/share/examples/ion3/ to ~/.ion3/ There's alot of config options regarding keybindings in cfg_ioncore.lua and you can change the look and feel by editing look.lua.
coreilly
QUOTE(mathemajikian @ Sep 29 2006, 08:57 PM)
ion3 is perfect for the Z. Make sure you copy the config files from /usr/local/share/examples/ion3/ to ~/.ion3/  There's alot of config options regarding keybindings in cfg_ioncore.lua and you can change the look and feel by editing look.lua.

i agree... thanks for the tip. i copied it over to ~/.ion3 and set replaced the F5 button with the F12 menu button and boom... working great!
mathemajikian
When you want to check your hotmail account but dont want to load all the javascript and images on the normal hotmail.com website check out the following link:

http://mobile.msn.com/
mathemajikian
Elinks gets my vote for best text based browser! You can configure every aspect of the interface and its super fast! Use it for more than 2 days with ion3 and you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. My second favorite browser is w3m. It's a browser similar to links+ in that it's a text based browser outside of X but supports graphics when under X. My third favorite is dillo. It's really quick at rendering pages, but I hate using a mouse/stylus so I find myself using it less. Also SSL support is really buggy and javascript support is null. Forth is links+. As mentioned above it supports both text and graphics when under X but can be used as a text only browser outside of X. The graphics mode is pretty slow to load but is worth it if you dont want to use a mouse/stylus. Dillo has it beat for web page rendering speeds, but links has alot more configuration options. Finally there's konq-e. This browser would be great if it was not such a memory hog and had some sort of file download management. It renders most pages as expected and does so at a fairly decent speed. Hopefully in the future we can get a newer version of konq-e working, but it seems that most of the newer versions require kdelibs and atleast qt-3.5. Out of all the browser listed I think dillo has the brightest future on the Zaurii. Give it a year or two and it could out perform konq-e.
mathemajikian
The links+ in the ports collection is a little behind so I went ahead and compiled and tested a newer version. The first thing I noticed was the significant increase in startup speed and rendering speed, I'm sure you'll be able to spot the others. Make sure you turn on Auto Refresh and enable javascript from the options menu. You might also want to reduce the default values for fonts sizes, text margins, and image scaling. I found font size=14, text margins=1, and image scaling=90 to be just about right(Better yet you can also enable auto scaling). Be sure to perform the calibration procedures (help, calibration) to get the browser to look its best. Note that if you make any changes to your video options it will take about 1 minute for these changes to take effect. Here's the package:

UNINSTALL EXISTING LINKS+ INSTALLATION BEFORE INSTALLING!

To Install just untar.gz links+-2.1pre23.tgz.tar.gz then pkg_add links+-2.1pre23.tgz

Built on 4.0 OpenBSD ---> Click to view attachment

To uninstall pkg_delete links+-2.1pre23.tgz

Heres a link to the release notes: http://links.twibright.com/download/ChangeLog

and this explains the startup speed difference seen in 2.1pre23:

=== RELEASE 2.1pre22 ===

sponsored by Alex Poylisher
Use 8-bit gamma correction on machines with slow FPU (or with FPU
emulation) --- this significantly reduces startup time
mathemajikian
I'm attempting to make Mozilla run on the OpenBSD/Zaurus port and have successfully been able to build/compile Mozilla with no indicated errors; however, when I execute Mozilla the standard interface comes up, but I'm unable to load any websites. If I type in the address of a website and hit enter nothing happens, if I hit the reload button nothing happens, if I try and select the preferences options under Edit -->Preferences nothing happens, if I try and close Mozilla with File --> Quit it does not close. (I have to ctrl-c) It's like the interface is not linked. Furthermore, when I mouse over some of the icons I get a little square where there should be a rectangle filled with tool tip text. Could I be missing some dependent libraries? Since this application takes 3 days to build I want to see if anyone could offer any build option suggestions? The OpenBSD/Zaurus port is in dire need of a modern web browser. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!
mathemajikian
QUOTE(mathemajikian @ Dec 28 2006, 05:12 PM)
I'm attempting to make Mozilla run on the OpenBSD/Zaurus port and have successfully been able to build/compile Mozilla with no indicated errors; however, when I execute Mozilla the standard interface comes up, but I'm unable to load any websites. If I type in the address of a website and hit enter nothing happens, if I hit the reload button nothing happens, if I try and select the preferences options under Edit -->Preferences nothing happens, if I try and close Mozilla with File --> Quit it does not close. (I have to ctrl-c) It's like the interface is not linked. Furthermore, when I mouse over some of the icons I get a little square where there should be a rectangle filled with tool tip text. Could I be missing some dependent libraries? Since this application takes 3 days to build I want to see if anyone could offer any build option suggestions? The OpenBSD/Zaurus port is in dire need of a modern web browser. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

I found out today that the problem described above isn't with Mozilla, but rather with the new devel/nspr that is being used. However, the problem only seems to present itself on the Zaurus platform. sad.gif The OpenBSD port nspr maintainer is aware of the problem and is working to fix it. Once corrected Mozilla should be able to run on the Z without issue.

EDIT: Minimo is also affected by this, and will not work on the Z until the nspr problem has been fixed.
mathemajikian
Apparently the Minimo/Mozilla build issues aren't going to be an easy fix. Here's what the maintainer had to say:

The problem is due to the lack of correct invoke/stubs for OpenBSD/arm; the minimo
interface heavily uses js and requires dynamic xptc calls.

Unfortunately we don't have these and it returns NS_NOT_IMPLEMENTED on
every call, therefore it just ignores some (all) events.

This results in the unresponsive interface problem you were seeing in both Mozilla and Minimo.

sad.gif
mathemajikian
QUOTE(mathemajikian @ Feb 8 2007, 08:22 PM)
Apparently the Minimo/Mozilla build issues aren't going to be an easy fix. Here's what the maintainer had to say:

The problem is due to the lack of correct invoke/stubs for OpenBSD/arm; the minimo
interface heavily uses js and requires dynamic xptc calls.

Unfortunately we don't have these and it returns NS_NOT_IMPLEMENTED on
every call, therefore it just ignores some (all) events.

This results in the unresponsive interface problem you were seeing in both Mozilla and Minimo.

sad.gif

Minimo has been fixed! Here's the package for anyone who needs it: minimo-20061120p3.tgz (This has the new interface and working javascript. This means no more crashing when accessing sites like hotmail.com)
mathemajikian
QUOTE(zogs @ Apr 18 2007, 04:50 PM)
mozilla-firefox added in my repository

p.s.: compiled in 3 days and 3 nights

So they finally patched this! Excellent! Here's some screen shots for the disbelievers.

mathemajikian
I'm going to try and recompile the classpath gcjwebplugin (java plugin for firefox/mozilla). If it works then I'll post the packages.
jpmatrix
QUOTE(mathemajikian @ Apr 21 2007, 06:40 PM)
I'm going to try and recompile the classpath gcjwebplugin (java plugin for firefox/mozilla). If it works then I'll post the packages.

any success? wink.gif
mathemajikian
QUOTE(jpmatrix @ May 4 2007, 09:34 PM)
QUOTE(mathemajikian @ Apr 21 2007, 06:40 PM)

any success? wink.gif

I have finals this week so I haven't had any free time. I will block sometime out later in the week.
mathemajikian
(mathemajikian @ Apr 21 2007, 06:40 PM)

any success?

Checkout the following post: Mozilla-Firefox Java Plugin
jocasmi
Hi friends,

I wish to thank you all your effort and the information that you are providing in the post.
This month I'll go back to OBSD on my C-3200, with all my pleasure.

Best Regards.
mathemajikian
If you want the ultimate keyboard only web browsing environment via mozilla-firefox then you need to checkout Conkeror.

Combining conkeror with ion3 can provide you with a completely keyboard driven working environment.

Here's a screenshot:

and here's some of the key bindings for those who might be interested:

Some common key bindings
C means control, M means Meta (or alt). As an example, holding down control and meta and then pressing the t key would be written C-M-t.

Browsing
g open new URL
B, l Go Back
F Go Forward
R Reload
C-g Stop
c Copy current URL to the clipboard
M-SPC Copy the X11 cut buffer to mozilla's clipboard.
C-x r b jump to bookmark
C-x r l list all bookmarks
C-x r m bookmark current URL
C-h b List all key bindings
C-h i Show this page.
C-h t Show the Conkeror tutorial.

Movement
C-a beginning of line
C-e end of line
C-f Forward a column
C-b backward a column
C-n Forward a line
C-p backward a line
C-v Page down
M-v Page up
M-< Beginning of document
M-> End of document
C-s Open i-search forward
C-r Open i-search backward
f cycle through the document's frames. The background will flash red to indicate the focused frame.

I-Search
C-s search forward
C-r search backward
C-g quit i-search (jump back to where i-search started)
backspace undo search
any modifier plus a key, enter or tab close i-search

Numbered Links
You will notice each href link and form input has a number (gray background) floating on top of it. if you type the number and press enter, the href will be followed, form button clicked, or form field focused. If you press M-RET, the link will be focused. C-RET and the link will be opened in a new buffer.

Often the floating numbers get in the way of the content, so they can be toggled with M-l. When invisible, either typing a number or pressing the 'n' key will show them for the duration of the command.

Numbered Images
To copy the location of an image, press 'i'. For each image, a number (pink background) will appear at its corner. Type the number and the image location will be copied to the clipboard.

Note the image numbers disappear after the command is finished. To toggle the image numbers, press C-M-l.

Buffer Management
C-u g Open an URL in a new buffer
C-x b Select a buffer based on it's name.
M-p previous buffer
M-n Next bufer
C-x k kill buffer
C-x 5 C-f, C-u C-u g Open an URL in a new frame
C-x 5 0 Close the current frame (all buffers in the frame are lost, at this point)
C-x C-c Quit conkeror

Ad Blocking
Conkeror can block images, scripts, etc originating from servers that match one of conkeror's adblock patterns. To add a pattern use M-x adblock-add-pattern. The pattern is a regular expression.

I've tested this on mozilla-firefox and it works perfectly.
TronDD
For the Vim users, such as myself, there is a similar plug-in called Vimperator.

Or if you just want easier keyboard browsing, the combination of Hit-a-hint (which both Conkeror and Vimperator use to navigate links) plus Keyconfig (linked from the Hit-a-Hint page) might be enough.
mathemajikian
QUOTE(TronDD @ May 17 2007, 02:04 AM)
For the Vim users, such as myself, there is a similar plug-in called Vimperator.

I didn't know about this one. Going to have to give it a try. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.