Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie forum requested
OESF Forums > Everything Else > Site Specific Forums > Site Suggestions, Requests, and Updates
sorensenjeppe
Hi all,

This is really a great site with tons of info! My problem is that 75 % of it goes over my head since I know very, very little about both Zaurus and Linux. Would it be an idea to make a newbie-forum, where beginners can meet and share experiences on the first steps with their Zs in as simple a language as possible?

With best regards,

Jeppe
rrashkin
I certainly second the sentiment but...
If there's a forum just for those of us who know little, who will help us?
sorensenjeppe
My initial hope was that we could help each others with some of the basic problems that all beginners face with the Z and that some of the many super-users would step in when our combined ignorance isn't enough to solve the problem at hand. When answering questions from a newbie-forum everbody would then know that the answer(s) should be put in as simple a language as possible and preferably without too much slang involved. But perhaps we aren't that many total rookies in here?

With best regards

Jeppe
tapjpa
I think that this a good idea as well, we had a newbie forum as well on the Sharp DevNet when it was still alive, so I went ahead and created one under the "Everything Zaurus" forum heading.

Enjoy!
gshort
Forgive me if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but have you tried the Unofficial Zaurus FAQ? I started out with a Zaurus just over a year ago, with no Linux experience and only the most rudimentary understanding of command lines and terminals etc., and I found it an invaluable resource. Download it to your Zaurus and browse at your leisure!

I must say I know what you mean about all the learned and erudite Linux afficianados posting here, but I lurked for a long while and picked up a great deal of useful information. Perhaps more significantly, I've been spurred on to learn more.

Have fun!
offroadgeek
Honestly, I'm surprised we didn't create a newbie forum sooner. Thanks for the quick setup tapjpa!

I think the newbie forum could be great... we could even create some sticky topics with some basic info... "check out the unofficial zaurus faq, check out the how-to docs", etc.
lardman
I think the newbie forum could be great... we could even create some sticky topics with some basic info... "check out the unofficial zaurus faq, check out the how-to docs", etc.

Good idea.

Might also be worth moving the forum to the top of the page.

Si
lardman
This is good: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Si
tapjpa

Good idea.

Might also be worth moving the forum to the top of the page.

Si

lardman: moved the forum up next to the top

Anyone want to put together some "sticky" topics?
I have a couple ideas will mess around with them a bit later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.