Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does Anyone Use Swapd For Swap File Management?
OESF Forums > General Forums > General Support and Discussion > Software
xamindar
I got a package here:
http://www.iaccarino.de/silvio/zaurusstuff.htm

It is supposed to make and mount a swap file when the memory gets to a certain point. It appears to be loaded and it creates the directory to put the swap files in (/mnt/card/swap) but it isn't making any swap files. I checked the config file (/etc/swapd.conf) and it is pointing to my mkswap program. So I don't know what the problem could be.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
aki
I did use that package in the past with mixed results. I don't recall the details of the config (/etc/swapd.conf, I think?), but the swap files are created as programs request more memory than available. So, the situation you describe seems normal.

I originally installed it to be able to run ethereal, which needed 80MB free to start-up. Swapd did allow me to run it, so it worked as advertised. In your case, you could try to run opera and open lots of windows.

Now I have a 6GB microdrive, so I just created a permanent swap partition and uninstalled swapd.

Good luck!
xamindar
That's what I did. I opened up every program on my zaurus until it started poping up that window asking me to close some programs. In the swapd.conf fime it is supposed to create a swap file and mount it when there is less than 16mb of memory free. I had like 6mb free and it didnt work.

What do you mean you had mixed results? Does that mean it didn't work part of the time?
adf
QUOTE(xamindar @ May 28 2006, 11:57 PM)
That's what I did.  I opened up every program on my zaurus until it started poping up that window asking me to close some programs.  In the swapd.conf fime it is supposed to create a swap file and mount it when there is less than 16mb of memory free.  I had like 6mb free and it didnt work.

What do you mean you had mixed results?  Does that mean it didn't work part of the time?

huh. It worked fine for me. there was something about wanting a directory for the swapfiles, though... I can't quite remeber. Maybe you'll see an error message along those lines?
aki
QUOTE(xamindar @ May 28 2006, 11:57 PM)
That's what I did.  I opened up every program on my zaurus until it started poping up that window asking me to close some programs.  In the swapd.conf fime it is supposed to create a swap file and mount it when there is less than 16mb of memory free.  I had like 6mb free and it didnt work.

What do you mean you had mixed results?  Does that mean it didn't work part of the time?

By mixed results, I mean it seems to work as intended, but, as in your experience, sometimes it seems like there's something wrong. It just seems clumsy and overcomplicated for the task.

The microdrive/swap partition setup, on the other hand, just works. No "out of memory" popup window.
xamindar
Cool, I think I got it working. I set the swap location to /hdd3/swap. It always keeps at least one swap mounted though. Is there any way to get it to unmount all swap partitions when I don't need them?
xamindar
It seems to work, it just doesn't start up when the zaurus boots. I guess it's no biggie. I just wonder why. Which run level is the default? Is it rc5?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.